Quaker-Style Chewy Granola Bars!

Are you looking for a good granola bar recipe?

chewy granola bars

This recipe won’t disappoint.

These delightfully chewy granola bars include all the goodness of everyone’s favorite Quaker granola bars, but without the corn syrup, refined sugar, and long list of artificial ingredients. So if you’re looking for a good granola bar recipe…

It’s staring you in the face. :)

granola bars

Unless you are extremely tall or your computer is low to the ground.

Then it’s staring you in the belly button.

granola bars

It even looks like a face. See the eyes and the nose? Those would be made out of chocolate chips. Yes, a chocolate chip face.

Are you jealous?

I am!

homemade granola bars

homemade granola bars

Oh, to live life with a chocolate chip face…

chewy granola bars

Quaker-Style Chewy Granola Bars

(Can be gluten-free)

With a “no-bake” option!

• 1 cup rolled oats (for all substitution notes, see nutrition link below)
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 cup rice crispies (brown, white, or gluten-free)
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp oat flour (see recipe instructions below for an easy substitution) 55g
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil or veg oil (See nutrition link below for notes on a fat-free version.)
  • 1/4 cup agave (Honey will also work, but not for strict vegans.)
  • 1-2 packs stevia (up to 1/16 tsp uncut) or 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar or extra liquid sweetener
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp applesauce (banana would probably work as well, or pumpkin!)
  • Ideas for the add-ins: mini chocolate chips, chopped raisins or other dried fruit, shredded coconut, chopped walnuts, etc.

Unless you’re doing the no-bake option, preheat oven to 350 F. Combine all dry ingredients and mix very well. (If you don’t have oat flour: simply grind rolled oats in a food processor to make oat flour. Be sure to measure the correct amount of flour for the recipe after grinding, not before.) In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients. Stir wet into dry and use another sheet of parchment (or wax) paper to squish evenly-coated mixture into a parchment-lined 7×5 pan (or double the recipe for a bigger pan). Squish very, very hard, with a can or something heavy. Either fridge until firm (the no-bake option is firmer if you use coconut oil), or cook 18 minutes, then squish very hard again. Cool in the fridge for at least ten minutes before cutting into bars.

View Nutrition Information

These bars can be stored at room temp, but if you use coconut oil they’re best kept in the fridge. Or they can even be frozen. The bars thaw very well. Other homemade granola bar recipes:

homemade nature valley granola bar homemade luna bars homemade larabars homemade peanut butter luna bars

(Click on the photos to see the recipes.)

Question of the Day:

Do you wish you were taller?

Or shorter? Or are you happy exactly the way you are? I’m 5’5, and I always wanted to be taller when I was growing up. But now I actually like my average height. My grandpa used to say that you’re tall enough as long as your feet touch the ground. How are grandparents so wise? :)

Tags: , , ,

1. I want to stay the exact same height that I am (nearly 5’6”). I think my height is juuuust right!

2. Christina says:

I’m 5’11” and I LOVE being tall! I feel super confident in myself, though it’s sometimes hard to buy jeans that are long enough. But tall girls need hearty snacks, and this one looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it out!

3. Jessica says:

These are very similar to the ones I make for my kids school lunches but I used puffed quinoa instead of rice krispies. Love the flavor! Mine doesn’t used coconut oil so I’m super excited to make them with that!

1. Samantha says:

OK, I HAVE to know if you puff your own quinoa. I want to put puffed in chocolate but all that I have read about puffing (popping) your own looks like a disaster. :)

1. Rachel says:

Jessica, thank you for the suggestion of doing puffed quinoa instead of rice krispies. I didn’t have any rice krispies and never would have thought of doing the quinoa! It turned out awesome in the granola bars!

Samantha, I know it’s been a couple weeks since you asked your question. Thought I’d let you know where I found the “recipe” for the quinoa.
        It was actually pretty easy. Just added another step to the granola bar process.

4. Anat says:

Those bars look amazing! Going to try them pretty soon :)

As for your question- I don’t remember having an issue with my hight growing up, however sometimes today I do wish to have few more inches (I’m 5.05 feet). Any way, my moto for my hight is- good thing comes in small packages 😉

5. Mikayla says:

Hey Katie! I just came across your blog and I love it. I’m 16 and I’ve been vegan for awhile now, I also started a blog that has vegan recipes but focuses more on mental & physical health (greenleanteen.com). I hope my blog can one day be full-time as well! I love your chocolate filled recipes.. keep it up :)

1. Shannon Taggart says:

Wow! Way to go Mikayla! I just checked out your site and it is fantastic. You are a fantastic writer, I can’t believe you are 16 years old. Keep up the great work!

6. Amanda M. says:

Awesome! I might try these with date paste as the sweetener and see how that turns out!

7. I LOVE these. I can already see how I can stir some protein powder into the mix to really power them up as an after-workout snack too ;).

I have always wanted to be shorter (I’m just under 5’8″). I don’t know why, because I actually like my height and am starting to embrace it. I think I just always ended up being friends with people who were tiny, like 5’1″ or 5’2″ and I just felt self-conscious and LARGE next to them. But now I’m really owning it, and wearing heels more often which is a big thing for me too!

8. Jeanna says:

I’m making these today!! My husband refuses to eat the store bought ones now that I’ve been making yours. He is very upset when I run out of time to make them!! Might try this as a maple walnut version. I’ll let you know how it turns out!!
    I’m 5′ 2″ and I must admit I wish I was little taller. I feel a little cheated- my little sister is 5’10” and my little brother is 6’3″, at least my 2 older sisters have the same short gene as me!!

1. Ooh definitely do report back on that! I love anything maple-flavored. :)

My sister stole all the thick hair genes from me, so I know how cheated you feel! (Never mind the fact that I was born before her… ;))

9. Why yes…yes I was looking for a granola bar recipe! Thanks for asking! These look perfect.

I was always tall and skinny so I wanted to be shorter. Now I’m fine with it. Kinda nice to be able to reach the tall stuff!

10. michelle says:

How many does it make and pan size?
    Thx

1. Yikes! Edited post! A 7×5 pan (or 8×8 for thin bars) or double for a 9×13!

11. Jen says:

YUM!
    Haha I was going to do the cooked version, but I couldn’t stop eating them and so I gave up! They’re awesome!!!
    Way better than the ones I’ve had from Quaker. Way way better.

*Runs off to eat some more!*

1. cck says:

So excited you already tried them! :)

12. Teghan Noyes says:

Did you know that you are a mind reader? I spent the morning trying to find a recipe exactly like this — a chewy nutritious granola bar without all the oddball ingredients. Then I turn around and you have posted EXACTLY what I was looking for! Yay!! These are being made pronto — and I see many flavor variations coming to my kitchen soon :o)

1. Wow lol that’s too funny!

I bet my mind is easy to read. It’s always fixated on chocolate ;).

13. Omigosh these look delicious and totally remind me of being a kid and eating granola bars all the time! I’d love to make this healthy version! As for height I wish I was a little shorter. I’m not tall (only a little over 5’4″) but I wear 5 inch heels every single day which puts me about 5’9″ or 5’10″… aka I need a tall boy who can keep up with my heel wearing habits!

14. Yvonne says:

I am jumping up and making these immediately, thank you! Still looking for a granola bar that my sensory boy will eat… he is a good eater flavour-wise, but is texture sensitive. He does like your chocolate date cashew ball recipe, but more so if I press them in a pan, cut them into squares and call them brownies! 😉 Kids are so funny.

As for my height, I am 5’2″ and don’t mind being small, except for functionally… reaching things high up, and it’s annoying holding/opening large jars with small hands!

15. Leslie says:

Katie, this recipe ROCKS!
    I am a sucker for granola bar recipes, and I can’t tell you how many I’ve made from online sources (which I won’t name!) that suck! But I knew that CCK’s recipe wouldn’t fail me, and so I tried one more time and guess what… It didn’t fail me!!! Thank you a million times over for your amazingness. Please get that cookbook out soon. I want to buy a hundred copies ;).

16. Those look delicious! I’ll have to add them to my list of bars to make when I get back to Chicago!

17. Stephanie says:

Yep- these are looking at me right in the eye! I am going to make these with my son! As a mom I really appreciate your healthy sweets- because everyone loves treats, just now what they do to you or what they are usually made of. Shared 3 links before the crash- people were so excited about your site! :)

1. Aw thanks, Stephanie. That really means a lot to me!

18. I have been searching high and low for a HEALTHY quaker bar recipe and all of them are loaded with butter. Knew I could count on you CCK. 😉

19. Sonyanijntje says:

You granolabars look great :P.
    I don’t complain about my height, I’m quite tall I guess. I’m 180 cm (that 5’9″??), and I’m happy with that 😀 . I don’t wish to be shorter (No no no no), but I don’t have to be taller either, now my height is a perfect round number (in cm). ;P

20. Sarah says:

Just wanted to tell you, your photos are my favorite of any blog :).
    And now I want to make granola bars.