Spaghetti Squash Lo Mein

Knowing this is a dessert blog, and reading today’s post title, you might have put two and two together and come up with…

chinese spaghetti squash

Something really weird. 😕

Actually, I don’t want to know what you came up with. Please don’t tell me.

Or anyone else. Ever.

Rest assured, today’s post is not dessert… well, unless you want to eat a bowl of vegetables for dessert, in which case I can’t judge you. I’ve done it before! (Remember my Chocolate Cauliflower Cake?)

Every now and then, against my better judgment, I’ll buy something on a whim at the grocery store, even though I have absolutely no plans for using it. Such was the case with a giant spaghetti squash I picked up a few weeks ago. Last night I decided it had been sitting ignored on the counter for too long. And so I cooked it, making the dish up as I went along.

healthy chinese

Do you like Spaghetti Squash?

I love spaghetti squash, but I also adore real spaghetti and definitely don’t treat spaghetti squash as a substitute for pasta. Normally when I make lo mein, I use soba noodles, and I’ll probably do that next time I make this recipe.

Spaghetti squash is a fun food in its own right, but I usually include some other kind of carb in the meal—such as toast—whenever I make it for dinner.

Spaghetti Squash Lo Mein - A low calorie & healthier alternative - from @choccoveredkt - quick & easy weeknight meal: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/06/05/spaghetti-squash-lo-mein/

Spaghetti Squash Lo Mein

(makes 5 large servings)

• 1 cup red pepper, sliced thin (150g)
  • 1 onion, diced (150g)
  • 1 (8oz) package sliced mushrooms
  • 1-2 carrots, sliced into coins or matchsticks (70-140g)
  • 2 cups broccoli florets (230g)
  • optional: shelled edamame for extra protein
  • vegetable oil for sautéing (or broth for a fat-free option)
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 6 scallions, sliced thin (and ends removed)
  • 1 large spaghetti squash or 16oz pasta
  • optional: 1 package bean sprouts (225 g)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable broth
  • 3 tbsp white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tbsp hoisin sauce or vegan Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce (or gluten-free alternative)

Directions:

Cook the pasta or squash (see: How To Cook Spaghetti Squash In The Oven).

In an uncovered dish with a few tbsp water, steam broccoli 2 minutes in the microwave (or stovetop). Heat a large sauté pan to medium, and cook first 4 ingredients in sautéing liquid of choice. Then add the spices, garlic, scallions, salt, bean sprouts, and broccoli, and cook a few more minutes until the broccoli is soft.

Meanwhile, combine the last 4 ingredients in a bowl. Now mix everything together. Depending on the size of your spaghetti squash and your appetite, I’d say this probably makes around 5 main-dish servings.

View Lo Mein Nutrition Facts

Tags: , , , ,

1. I love spaghetti squash – I think I’d throw in some peanut flour for a thai version!

2. Tara says:

This. Looks. Amazing!

3. Samantha says:

I do like spaghetti squash but I am sometimes lazy about it.

Also I WAY over did it a few years ago (I was doing a CSA and they were crazy with squash coming into fall). Maybe it is time to bring it back.

I hear you though on the pasta thing…squash isn’t a substitute.

1. Samantha says:

PS. Every day I am putting two and two together and thinking Puppy Chow. 🙂

1. I know… I feel so embarrassed for hinting at it and not posting yet. But now I changed my mind and am wondering if I should put it in the book or not. Sometimes I really do wonder if I should do the book at all. I really want to post EVERYthing as soon as I think of it! 😕

1. Samantha says:

Oh gosh…no need to be embarrassed. 🙂

I think the book is going to be a fabulous experience for you…and besides I want to know how it goes.

Last night I was working on a final project thinking I need puppy chow right next to me…LOL.

Keep doing what you do. You know I support you. 🙂

2. Came across this comment looking up the recipe on the run so I can make a grocery list. We aren’t vegan and this is the only way we have found we like spaghetti squash. So amazing, we like the leftovers even better. Anyway, just wanted to say I am so glad you made your cookbook and I hope you make another when you have more sugar free recipes. We are loving subbing maple syrup wherever we can 😉 Thanks for sharing all your yummy recipes!

5/5

5/5

4. Crystal says:

LLLOOOOVVVEE spaghetti squash!! Never thought about using it in an Asian dish however it sounds amazing! I have a great recipe for a baked southwest SS using black beans, seasoning, tomatoes … YUMMY!

5. Mariel says:

i was craving something savory. this came at the perfect time!

6. teabagginit says:

i love spaghetti squash! i’ve even used it like noodles for a dessert kugle! such a great low-carb, low-cal swap!

7. Katie — I know this is a dessert blog too, technically, but it is a nice change to see something savory once in a while! Also, it looks delicious so that helps.

I always do that when I go the grocery store pretty much. I buy a bunch of things I have no plans for and then make plans for them as I start to feel sorry for them sitting alone on the counter or in the fridge. “Ohh, you want to get in my belly? OKAY — I’ll make an omelet out of you!!!!” 🙂

Something like that.

xoxo
    Cheri

8. Sarah L says:

Looks really delicious! I’ve never tasted spaghetti squash so I don’t know what it is. Actually, I’m always interested in your main dishes too, because I often end up in a rut when it comes to, well, real food. :S I’ve actually eaten only three normal meals during these past five days… The rest has been deserts or oatmeal. Woops.

9. Emilia says:

Yum, yum! This looks amazing, I love spaghetti squash, but I definitely agree that it’s not a substitute for spaghetti (soba noodles are the best, aren’t they). I would have never thought to pair spaghetti squash with asian flavors, but this looks delicious. I can’t wait to try it! 🙂

10. Oh man oh man do I love spaghetti squash!! I can’t wait for it to be in season again so its easier on my college budget. 😛 It’s so versitile. I’ve used it in several different ways. Yum! Thanks for the recipe Kaitie!

11. Rana says:

This will be great tonight and I have all I need! I’m going to add a tablespoon or two of peanut butter to it.

12. I’m a big fan of spaghetti squash. I love to make lasagna with it – but the trick is it really has to be squeezed as otherwise it will make everything really soggy haha. I tend to eat it on a day when I’ve had a very carb-heavy meal so that it’s something lighter!

1. L. says:

Oh wow, that is such a great idea! Do you have a recipe on your blog?

13. Wow that looks awesome and I LOOOVE spaghetti squash 🙂

14. Alison Graswick says:

Just made spaghetti squash last night! I looked all over for a good recipe and couldn’t find one so I had to make something up. This looks great to try my next time around. So glad I found your blog!

15. I LOVE spaghetti squash and I love using it as a replacement for pasta!

16. My favorite way to eat spag squash is with marinara sauce dumped on top. sometimes i think it’s better than real pasta, and then i have real pasta, and I’m like no, not better.

17. Mmmm I absolutely LOVE spaghetti squash but I’m usually intimidated because it’s so hard to cut! But I think I need to get past that because it’s delicious! This looks great too and full of chinese flavor! Sometimes I’ll take TJ’s Chinese chicken noodles and sauce and add more veggies and broccoli slaw!

18. Casey says:

This looks yummy, but gotta say I’m bummed. After yesterday’s picture of the poptart babies I was REALLY hoping that recipe would be posted today. No such luck. Maybe tomorrow??!?! 🙂

1. Sorry, I was just showing “progress” pictures. It’s not perfected yet!

19. I love spaghetti squash! It’s so tasty, healthy & versatile! Definitely my fav squash!!