Do you know what a chocoholic eats for lunch?

I had fun with lunch yesterday:

banana sandwich

A Banana-Split Sandwich!

With fresh strawberries and homemade Chocolate Banana Butter.

The chocolate took the sandwich over the top and reminded me of eating frosting. A frosting sandwich for lunch…? I know it sounds strange, and I won’t go as far as to say it tasted exactly like a banana-split sundae, but this sandwich was pretty darn awesome!

banana split sandwich

After lunch, I took Henry and Batman to the dog park for some exercise. It was Batman’s first time, and he won’t be going back. 😕 He growled and snapped at all the other dogs, and I finally left Henry under the care of a friend while I walked Batman around the outside of the park, alone.

Henry didn’t seem to mind. He even found a look-alike friend:

toy fox terriers

And he ran around and around in circles with this Chihuahua:

chihuahua

Henry is the sweetest dog alive. He really is. I’m forever grateful I happened to be in Petsmart on the day he was up for adoption.

Link of the Day:

german-chocolate-truffles

……….German-Chocolate Fudge Bites

Tomorrow is National German Chocolate Cake Day. I never seem to know about these national days until they’re over, so this time I thought I’d be early :).

Question of the Day:

If you have pets, do they get along with other animals?

Batman adores Henry, so I was shocked (and really embarrassed) when he started snapping at the other dogs. I’m sure it was out of fear, but does anyone know how to teach him to be nice?

Tags:

1. Frances says:

I always find introducing friends dogs to your dogs helps, especially if your dog is used to the smell of your friends dog from her clothes or bags etc.
    Hope this helps 🙂

2. Sarah says:

I have been finding a lot of recipes with corn syrup lately. Do you know of a decent substitution for corn syrup?

1. Anonymous says:

Any liquid sweetener should do. Agave, honey or maple syrup. I suppose it depends on the recipe though.

2. Tiffany Nay says:

I bet brown rice syrup could work, too.

3. Samantha says:

I love seeing photos of your cute pups. Don’t be embarrassed about Batman. There are so many reasons for his behavior: he could have been overly excited, he could have felt threatened or it could be he just didn’t like a specific dog. Strangely enough, sometimes household “packs” do better at the dog park separately. I have many friends with more than one dog that if they take one at time there are no problems, if they bring both there is going to be problems.

In terms of teaching him to be nice, I am not actually much of a dog park person and I see a lot of snapping/borderline aggressive behavior at them depending on the mix of dogs. I am not sure if the Texas ones have better manners than the ones in my area, but it could be that Batman will always do better with just one dog at a time. Since he was a rescue his history and socialization will always be a bit of a mystery.

Right now I am down to one dog, two cats, and one chinchilla. All get along (although the chinchilla wouldn’t survive free roaming).

I have had dogs that were indifferent to other dogs, dogs that only accepted their household dog, and dogs that were dog reactive to all dogs. I won’t put up with aggressive behavior, but I will try and support what sets them best up for success. The dog reactive dog I worked to modify his behavior while on walks…but he NEVER would be a dog park candidate. 🙂

My current young boy works well around other dogs, but I know if I put him with another high energy/high drive dog that their play is going to be too rough for what I will accept so I still am very selective on what dogs and watch the interactions carefully.

I LOVE that banana butter. LOVE it. 🙂

4. Linnea says:

I have two rabbits, one of them is superfriendly, the other one hates everyone except if they have food. Really, I think he’s just greedy.

1. LOL that sounds like a rabbit we rescued once… I swear, that thing was the size of a house. Or at least the size of Batman. At first, though, he was tiny and only his ears were huge. Then he kept eating and eating and eating… Once he actually ate a piece of my science homework :).

5. Essi says:

Do your dogs eat vegan dog food?
    ( just wondering) 🙂

1. They don’t. I honestly haven’t done much research on a vegan diet for dogs, and they don’t actually live with me all the time anyway (it’s complicated). But someday I would like to feed my dogs a vegan diet.

1. Linsey says:

From what I’ve researched, it’s not really healthy for dogs or cats to be vegan. Dogs are really supposed to be carnivores and due to our influence the are pretty much omnivores because most of the dry pet foods are filled with corn and wheat to make them cheap to mass produce. I have heard that raw meat diets are actually the healthiest for our furry friends…but either way, I would really sway away from veganizing the pooches.

1. Jen E says:

There are plenty of dogs and cats on a vegan diet and are healthy. It just takes a lot of researching 🙂 Myself If I ever got a dog or cat not sure if I would do that. My pet rats are on a vegan diet though and they are doing great and love it!

1. Linsey says:

I disagree about the dogs and cats…they most likely are surviving but I doubt they are thriving. Rats aren’t carnivores, dogs are…so I’m glad your rats are doing well, but they can handle a purely vegan diet better than dogs or cats.

Here’s an article, by a veterinarian that sums up my feelings on the matter:

In essence, dogs and cats are carnivores..they aren’t meant to eat plant only diets.

My opinion…if you are THAT adamant about having a vegan pet…get a rabbit.

2. Jen E says:

That is your opinion and I respect that 🙂 I know dogs and cats that are thriving though on vegan diets. BTW I do have rabbits, but not because they are herbivores. I adore them! I get slammed all the time for feeding my rats vegan though 🙁

3. Linsey says:

My opinion is backed by scientific facts…did you read the article?

Rabbits are cool. My friend has one and it’s super cute. I had no idea you could litter train them…but apparently you can!

I’m surprised you get slammed for feeding the rats vegan. I mean, rats could probably survive a nuclear holocaust because they are THAT adaptable. They are also omnivores like us…so they can do well on a vegan diet.

4. Jenna says:

My rats (i had 9 of hem for a while) were all vegans. Rats do very well on a vegan diet. My opinion on vegan dogs is simply that they don’t get to chose. I wouldnt force it on a person, much less an animal. If you put down a salad and a burger, and your dog chooses he salad, congrats. But it’s not right to force a dietary decision on anything.
            PS: I have a dog, and she go REALLY sick when i tried to have her go vegan. i even transitioned her properly. I could see it working with certain breeds but not all (not even most i would say).
            PSS: My dog’s favorite food is greek yogurt with honey and granola. She regularly takes it before the burger. She will guard the burger until shes ready to eat it though lol

6. Well, I only have a goldfish… Haha so he’s never had to come in contact with other animals.

7. yum!! that sammie looks delicious!! and your pups are so cute! i have a little papillon, but she thinks she’s a queen…lol thanks for sharing!

8. Joy says:

My dog loves other dogs! But my friends dog notsomuch so with Brady we do leashed exposure he still comes with us but on leash knowing that his mom is in charge

9. Nikki says:

We just adopted a rescue pup and are training her to be nice to other dogs too–you should check out videos of The Dog Whisperer (Cesar Milan). We’ve tried a few of his “tricks” and so far they work immediately!!
    P.S. I get embarrassed too when my dog (Haruki) barks and growls at other dogs:-)

10. msdramateacherlady says:

Perhaps taking Batman to a few training classes at a Petsmart or Petco would, socialization on a smaller scale. I have two dogs, who can be very touch and go at the dog park. To the point where if we can’t run them in the “wood-chip” side (not many people use it, it’s designed for training and dogs who don’t always play nice) for 45 minutes, we don’t put them in with the others. We’ve never had a major incident and I want to keep it that way. Owning pit bulls I would rather be safe than sorry. They get along great with each other and can have a friendly greeting with other dogs if I’m not holding both at one time, they get protective of me if I’m alone. If my husband is with me handling one dog, we can have them say hello to almost any dog. They can even play nice at the park, but you have to know your dog, their body language and what could possibly set them off (if other dogs in the park are barking excessively and engaging in even slightly aggressive behavior we know we can’t put our female with them, it will set her off). And my dogs play rough, some people have mistaken then play for fighting and aggressive behavior. When you see two 70 lbs dogs sparing it can sound and look like a fight, but again I know my dogs and can stop them if it gets to aggressive.

Maybe take Batman during time you know there aren’t many people in the park. Or keep him outside at the fence line so he can get used to being around the other dogs. But then again, some dogs are just one-dog type of friends. Good luck and don’t be embarrassed, you did the right thing by removing him from the situation (both for him and the other dogs).

11. Joan says:

What breed of dog is Henry? He looks somewhat similar to my puppy, Spader. Spader is a chihuahua / min pin mix.

1. He was a rescue dog, but they say he’s a Toy Fox Terrier, which is a mix between a Jack Russel and a Chihuahua. There seem to be a lot of Chihuahua rescue dogs!

12. Alex says:

Oh My Dog!
    I really have to try that sandwisch!… and Greetings from Germany 😉 I’ll celebrate tomorrow :P(maybe with your chocolate single cake, I still haven’t tied it so…it’s about time :D)

13. hey Katie!!! Here’s your biggest fan from AUSTRIA 🙂
    may I ask which kind of bread you used? it doesnt look glutenfree but is it anything special or just regular plain old bread (nothing wrong with that, dont get me wrong!)

just curious…

xoxo

1. Aw thanks, Doris!

This one was from Whole Foods (a “health starts here” bread). Not gluten-free, but it was whole-grain :).

14. A Banana Split sandwich! I’m soooooo game! 🙂 How delicious!

15. Becca R says:

I love to talk about my dogs! They’re my babies. I’m only 19 so when I say I have kids, people act kinda weird. They’re hairier than most babies. I have a standard poodle, named Monroe, that I’m raising for the Guide Dog Foundation. He’s soooo energetic, and he loves the dog park. He makes friends with every single dog there. Even if they snap at him. Haha. I get to take him to my college classes and into grocery stores and pretty much most places since he’s a GDF dog so it’s pretty convenient. I also have a little chihuahua – corgi mix named Bruiser (like Legally Blonde, although my Bruiser is a little bigger and chubbier). He’s a little feisty and likes to try and bite strangers’ ankles.
    As for teaching him to be nice, I think it’s best just to take him more often. At my local dog park, there’s a separate fenced area for little dogs, so if you started him out farther away, he could get used to the other dogs at a distance. Then move a little closer. Then let him see the other dogs through the fence or have a few come and see him. It just takes a little while. He’s a little dog, so it makes sense for him to be afraid. He’s neutered, right? If he’s neutered, I would think it’s just out of fear. And there’s no need to be embarrassed. Taking him out and walking him around outside was a polite way to handle it, but I’m sure everyone else understood. Usually people are at dog parks because they understand what dogs like and need, so they probably understand that some dogs just get scared. 🙂

1. Yes, he is.
      Thanks for all the advice! I guess I shouldn’t write off the dog park for him yet :).

16. Dara says:

I did a little experimenting yesterday and I would like to share this:
    Adapted from VitaMix Dutch Apple Baby recipe
    serves 4 or 8 (depending on how it is sliced)
    Apple Filling:
    2 medium to large apples ( I used Fuji and Red Delicious), cored, peeled, and sliced into thin rings
    1/8 c. blueberries
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/8 c. sugar
    1 T. coconut oil

Coat the apples in the cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl. Saute the apples over medium-high heat in a skillet in the oil until soft, add in the blueberries the last five minutes of cooking.

For the cake:
    1/2 c. oat flour
    1/4 t. nutmeg
    1/4 t. cloves
    1/2 t. cinnamon
    1/2 t. sea salt
    1/2 t. vanilla extract
    1/2 – 1 c. almond milk (you want the batter to be a bit runny)
    1/2 T. yogurt
    1 T. flax meal
    1 T. chia seed
    6 T. water

Mix the flax and chia with 6 T. water in a bowl and let sit for 5 minutes.
    In the bowl used to coat the apple, mix together the oat flour, spices, and salt. Add the vanilla extract, yogurt, and almond milk. Stir to combine. Mix in the chia/flax mixture last.

Pour the apple/berry mixture into a greased pie pan (or cast iron skillet can work). Even out the filling. Pour the batter over the fruit last. Make sure the batter is evenly coating the fruit and level on all sides of the pan.

In a pre-heated oven at 450F, bake the apple baby for 20 minutes.

Serve with sliced fruit, agave or honey and a dollop of yogurt. OR sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Makes a great 450 kcal (2 slices) breakfast!

1. Wow, Dara, this sounds really awesome! Thanks for sharing this. I’ll have to try it – love stuff like this! 😀

1. Dara says:

THANK YOU. I don’t do this much so your comment just MADE my evening. Experiment away and enjoy!

1. Thanks for sharing!! I love it when readers share their recipes, and this sounds delicious :).

17. Lauren says:

Our shih-tzu, Gus, is a really sweet dog, but other dogs don’t seem to take to him! My brother got a dog from the pound and it nearly bit Gus’s head off when we tried to introduce the two. Scary moment! It must be nice for Henry and Batman to have each other…hopefully we can get Gus a buddy soon!

1. Ashley says:

oh my goodness!!! I have a shih-tzu named Gus too!!! My Gus is super awkward around other dogs at the dog park – he wants to play with them but sometimes doesn’t know how!

18. Ulli says:

mmmh, this sandwich reminds me of my 2-minute-microwave-flax-muffin (http://fitundgluecklich.net/2012/06/05/ein-typischer-paleo-tag-a-typical-paleo-day/ – which is healthy, easy to make, suitable for a paleo/primal diet and most of all: yummy!!!) – i topped it with banana and nutbutter, next time I’ll add some strawberries too and will think of you! 😉
    oooh, poor batman, i’m sure he was just scared? it was a new situation for him, so maybe try again?! good luck!!

19. My doxie Sienna is a rescue. The first year she was fine around other dogs, but the second year we really bonded and she became very protective of me. Now if she sees another dog she goes crazy barking and sometimes snaps. That is all other dogs except for other dachshunds. For some reason she knows her own kind and they are A-okay. But horses….OMG…she goes beserk if she sees a horse.

20. Cheryl says:

My dog Bebe entered my life when she was two, and she had huge issues with other dogs. It has taken about two years of work, but she is now playing with other dogs we see on walks and goes to doggie daycare sometimes. We still have issues when the dogs are on leashes, but we are working on it. You just always have to be aware of the situation (get really good at reading Batman’s body language) and interrupt the situation before it breaks. Lots and lots of rewards for good behavior – I think there were a lot of people thinking I was crazy when I was cheering and giving my dog treats when she just walked by another dog without getting snarky. We worked from walk-bys, to quick greetings, and so on. There are also getting to be more and more classes out there for reactive dogs.
    Good luck to you – you have two cuties there!