Restaurant Review: The Peacefood Cafe

Updated page:

oat pin

17 Ways to Eat Oatmeal

(I’ll also get back to the recipe posts tomorrow. I’ve missed posting them, and I know most people don’t visit this site for vacation recap posts, so I’ll try to intersperse them.)

With Friday treating us to rain, it was the perfect time to visit the Museum of Natural History. There’s something magical (and a little spooky) about being in a museum when it’s dark and stormy. Happily, Peacefood Café is located close by, and so we braved the rain for our post-museum dinner.

image

In keeping with the spooky mood, I started with this weirdly-green concoction:

green-lemonade_thumb1

Green Lemonade

The only ingredients: apple, lemon, mixed greens, and fresh ginger. Normally, I’d never buy a $7 lemonade, but I figured, I’m on vacation; it’s not like I do this every day. The very-slightly-sweet drink was oddly delicious after I put it on ice. (I wasn’t big on it when it was delivered at room temp.)

For our meals, we shared two entrees:

peacefood cafe

“Choice of Four” plate:

Roasted kabocha, brussels sprouts, and cauliflower, and sautéed kale. Not that the veggies (seasoned with oil and spices) needed a sauce, but when I saw there was mushroom gravy on the menu I had to try it out as well.

peacefood

Mushroom Duxelle Pizza: Topped with roasted bell peppers, onions and zucchini

And a trip to Peacefood Café wouldn’t be complete without their famous vegan macaroons:

peacefood macaroons

Above photo taken from this old post.

The food was warm and comforting, the atmosphere was peaceful, and the servers were kind and attentive. It’s not fancy food at Peacefood Cafe, but on a dreary night it was exactly what we craved.

Right across the street, there’s a little health food shop called “Organic Avenue,” so we took a quick look around after dinner:

organic avenue

Raw Cinnamon Roll, vanilla granola bar, Sun Warrior powder, and coconut chapstick.

I’ve never been the biggest fan of protein powder, but everyone keeps telling me how good Sun Warrior is. I refused to shell out $40 for a giant tub when I didn’t even know if I liked it, so these little packets were perfect. Sadly, the raw cinnamon roll tasted gummy and bland. But I like the coconut chapstick!

Question of the Day:

Do rainy days ever make you just want to stay home and be lazy?

I usually hate going out on rainy days, because it’s no fun to arrive and be all wet (especially if the place is air conditioned). But sitting in a cafe and watching the rain can be quite peaceful. And sitting in a cafe dipping roast veggies in mushroom gravy while watching the rain? Even better!

Link of the Day:

Copycat-Dark-Chocolate-Crunch-Bars_thumb

Chocolate Crunch Bars

For National Junk Food Day, which was yesterday. Today is National Penuche Fudge Day… but I’m really not sure what that is!

Tags:

1. Madie says:

Where do you find all of these fun national —- days?

1. Thanks for sharing! And Happy Vanilla Ice Cream Day 🙂

2. Karen says:

I’m excited you’re going back to posting recipes. But I also am actually enjoying your NYC recap posts. So please keep them coming as well. I’ve never been to NYC, so I like living through your experiences. It sounds like so much fun!

3. Rainy days definitely make me want to be lazy! And I LOVE my sunwarrior, although some people think it tastes chalky.

4. Lissy says:

that’s funny, I was at the museum of natural history on thursday 😀 Did you see the creatures of light exhibit? I want to be bioluminescent!
    the weather was gorgeous yesterday, hope you took advantage!

5. I love taking my kids to the museum when we have a rainy day. I also like sitting in Starbucks sipping on a coffee when it’s dreary outside. I don’t like when I have to run multiple errands when it’s rainy, though. I wish I could find little protein packets. I’ve been wanting to try sunwarrior too.

6. Jenny says:

Green drinks always amaze me with their yummy taste and healthy ingredients. I feel the same way with my green smoothies they need to be chilled!

7. Penuche fudge is a caramel-flavored fudge, often studded with pecans. I think it’s a New England thing. It’s delicious! Hey Katie, maybe you can come up with a healthy penuche fudge-esque recipe! 🙂

8. Love lazy rainy days! I feel like dreary weather gives you an excuse to lay around & stay inside!

9. Emily says:

Next time try Peacefood’s Japanese pumpkin sandwich… It is the best!!

10. Definitely let us know if you like the Sunwarrior protein powder! I have been experimenting with dairy-free, egg-free and wheat-free variations of protein powders due to my allergies. And I haven’t tried sunwarrior yet!

11. Lauren @ The Tornadic Kitchen says:

Man I wish there were more veg friendly restaurants in my area like that! NY has it all 🙂

12. theresa @ aspoonfulofsunshine says:

Agree, sitting in a cafe working and watching some people is a great way to spend a rainy day. Staying cuddled up on your couch is nice but sometimes you have got to get out of the house! Also I am SOSOSO impressed that peacefood serves my two favorite foods {brussels + kabocha}! I think it is so rare to brussels that haven’t been drowned with bacon and to find kabocha in restaurants alone is such an amazing feat!

1. Karen says:

Yes, and roasted kabocha. I have a place near me that sells it but it’s steamed and just not as good :(.

13. I’m going to NYC in 2 weeks, and I definitely think I’ll have to give Peacefood a try. Anyone have other rec’s? 🙂

14. Jacki says:

That pizza looks amazing! Maybe you could try to duplicate it? 😉

15. I can’t wait to try these out next time I’m in NYC (Fingers crossed it’s sometime very soon!)

16. Eco-Vegan Gal says:

I’ve been wanting to go to Peacefood for so long! And that Hurraw balm is my absolutely favorite! : )

17. Great shots of your meals!
    I am usually not a fan of lazy rainy days. I prefer lazy days where I can relax by the pool but once in a while its a great excuse to stay in bed with a movie 🙂

18. Anonymous says:

I have been looking for packets of protein powder everywhere. Like you I am very unsure about it, however, do not eat much meat and have been trying to add in more protein to my diet but can only eat so many beans, lentils, and peanut butter before I need a break! Let me know what you think of it, I just cannot do that chalky taste at all!!!

19. amy says:

20. Social Eater says:

I have a hard time finding a good protein powder that can stand on its own, too. I find that blending a quality one with a spoonful of peanut butter helps a lot!