Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Restaurant Review: The Peacefood Cafe

Updated page:

oat pin

17 Ways to Eat Oatmeal

(I’ll also get back to the recipe posts tomorrow. I’ve missed posting them, and I know most people don’t visit this site for vacation recap posts, so I’ll try to intersperse them.)

With Friday treating us to rain, it was the perfect time to visit the Museum of Natural History. There’s something magical (and a little spooky) about being in a museum when it’s dark and stormy. Happily, Peacefood Café is located close by, and so we braved the rain for our post-museum dinner.

In keeping with the spooky mood, I started with this weirdly-green concoction:

Green Lemonade

The only ingredients: apple, lemon, mixed greens, and fresh ginger. Normally, I’d never buy a $7 lemonade, but I figured, I’m on vacation; it’s not like I do this every day. The very-slightly-sweet drink was oddly delicious after I put it on ice. (I wasn’t big on it when it was delivered at room temp.)

For our meals, we shared two entrees:

peacefood cafe

“Choice of Four” plate:

Roasted kabocha, brussels sprouts, and cauliflower, and sautéed kale. Not that the veggies (seasoned with oil and spices) needed a sauce, but when I saw there was mushroom gravy on the menu I had to try it out as well.

Mushroom Duxelle Pizza: Topped with roasted bell peppers, onions and zucchini

And a trip to Peacefood Café wouldn’t be complete without their famous vegan macaroons:

peacefood macaroons

Above photo taken from this old post.

The food was warm and comforting, the atmosphere was peaceful, and the servers were kind and attentive. It’s not fancy food at Peacefood Cafe, but on a dreary night it was exactly what we craved.

Right across the street, there’s a little health food shop called “Organic Avenue,” so we took a quick look around after dinner:

organic avenue

Raw Cinnamon Roll, vanilla granola bar, Sun Warrior powder, and coconut chapstick.

I’ve never been the biggest fan of protein powder, but everyone keeps telling me how good Sun Warrior is. I refused to shell out $40 for a giant tub when I didn’t even know if I liked it, so these little packets were perfect. Sadly, the raw cinnamon roll tasted gummy and bland. But I like the coconut chapstick!

Question of the Day:

Do rainy days ever make you just want to stay home and be lazy?

I usually hate going out on rainy days, because it’s no fun to arrive and be all wet (especially if the place is air conditioned). But sitting in a cafe and watching the rain can be quite peaceful. And sitting in a cafe dipping roast veggies in mushroom gravy while watching the rain? Even better!

Link of the Day:

Chocolate Crunch Bars

For National Junk Food Day, which was yesterday. Today is National Penuche Fudge Day… but I’m really not sure what that is!

1. Madie says:

Where do you find all of these fun national —- days?

1. Thanks for sharing! And Happy Vanilla Ice Cream Day :)

2. Man I wish there were more veg friendly restaurants in my area like that! NY has it all :)

3. Agree, sitting in a cafe working and watching some people is a great way to spend a rainy day. Staying cuddled up on your couch is nice but sometimes you have got to get out of the house! Also I am SOSOSO impressed that peacefood serves my two favorite foods {brussels + kabocha}! I think it is so rare to brussels that haven’t been drowned with bacon and to find kabocha in restaurants alone is such an amazing feat!

1. Karen says:

Yes, and roasted kabocha. I have a place near me that sells it but it’s steamed and just not as good :(.

4. Karen says:

I’m excited you’re going back to posting recipes. But I also am actually enjoying your NYC recap posts. So please keep them coming as well. I’ve never been to NYC, so I like living through your experiences. It sounds like so much fun!

5. Rainy days definitely make me want to be lazy! And I LOVE my sunwarrior, although some people think it tastes chalky.

6. Lissy says:

that’s funny, I was at the museum of natural history on thursday 😀 Did you see the creatures of light exhibit? I want to be bioluminescent!
    the weather was gorgeous yesterday, hope you took advantage!

7. I’ve been wanting to go to Peacefood for so long! And that Hurraw balm is my absolutely favorite! : )

8. I love taking my kids to the museum when we have a rainy day. I also like sitting in Starbucks sipping on a coffee when it’s dreary outside. I don’t like when I have to run multiple errands when it’s rainy, though. I wish I could find little protein packets. I’ve been wanting to try sunwarrior too.

9. Jenny says:

Green drinks always amaze me with their yummy taste and healthy ingredients. I feel the same way with my green smoothies they need to be chilled!

10. Social Eater says:

I have a hard time finding a good protein powder that can stand on its own, too. I find that blending a quality one with a spoonful of peanut butter helps a lot!

11. Penuche fudge is a caramel-flavored fudge, often studded with pecans. I think it’s a New England thing. It’s delicious! Hey Katie, maybe you can come up with a healthy penuche fudge-esque recipe! :)

12. Love lazy rainy days! I feel like dreary weather gives you an excuse to lay around & stay inside!

13. Sarah says:

I enjoy reading your restaurant reviews, vacation adventures, etc, as well as recipes! :) It is fun to see what cool vegan restaurants and shops there are out there, and put them away for possibly visiting someday!

14. Emily says:

Next time try Peacefood’s Japanese pumpkin sandwich… It is the best!!

15. Definitely let us know if you like the Sunwarrior protein powder! I have been experimenting with dairy-free, egg-free and wheat-free variations of protein powders due to my allergies. And I haven’t tried sunwarrior yet!

16. I’m going to NYC in 2 weeks, and I definitely think I’ll have to give Peacefood a try. Anyone have other rec’s? :)

17. Jacki says:

That pizza looks amazing! Maybe you could try to duplicate it? 😉

18. I can’t wait to try these out next time I’m in NYC (Fingers crossed it’s sometime very soon!)

19. Great shots of your meals!
    I am usually not a fan of lazy rainy days. I prefer lazy days where I can relax by the pool but once in a while its a great excuse to stay in bed with a movie :)

20. Rainy days do make me want to stay in and be lazy. We’ve had about 2 months of straight rain here though, so I’ve had to embrace it! I do think a good storm can be quite exciting and get the adrenalin pumping as well!

21. Anonymous says:

I have been looking for packets of protein powder everywhere. Like you I am very unsure about it, however, do not eat much meat and have been trying to add in more protein to my diet but can only eat so many beans, lentils, and peanut butter before I need a break! Let me know what you think of it, I just cannot do that chalky taste at all!!!

22. amy says:

23. Samantha says:

I have been hearing good things about sun warrior too but have yet to try it. I would like to hear how you like it.

Love the oatmeal page update! Very nice.

The problem is we have SO many rain days. Sometimes they make me more cranky than lazy. :)

24. Kit-Kat says:

Since I’m from Washington State, I’m not fazed by rainy weather! I like to go out and about if it’s rainy or sunny! If you’re a Washingtonian, you have waterproof skin and webbed feet, lol! 😀

25. Rachel says:

I’m not a vegan, but I really enjoy seeing these meals of yours lol it kind of gives me an idea of what vegans eat because quite honestly, none of my friends or family are living the vegan lifestyle! Anywho, everything looks pretty dang good…..especially the pizza! But let’s be honest, you can’t go wrong with pizza 😉

I think you should try and come up with a raw cinnamon roll of your own! It sounds like such a yummy treat!

26. Jim Richards says:

Please, do not balk at penuche; it’s my favorite and as much as I crave chocolate in any form, I routinely choose or make penuche over any other candy. It’s a New England confection of maple sugar, butter and cream with with minced nutmeats.

27. Mallory says:

There is a recipe for cupcakes with apples and penuche fudge/caramel sauce in Veganomicon… :-) If you feel like checking it out! I haven’t made it though…

28. Sarah L says:

Every once in a while a rainy day can be quite peaceful and nice, but I usually just sit at home and do stuff around the house. I get sad when it rains a lot though. This summer has been almost washed away by the rain. :'(

And don’t feel bad about the vacation posts, it’s fun with a little variation anyway even if the recipe posts are the best. :)

29. Rain doesn’t bother me, I won’t melt. 😉 Actually since most people don’t like to be out in it, it’s the perfect reason to go out.

I’ll have one of those chocolate bar thingys please. :)

30. LizAshlee says:

I am always on the go and I definitely love to take advantage of staying home and being cozy on a rainy day!!

31. Noa Bar says:

I was also there friday! You should have tried the chili–it’s so good!

32. BELLA says:

I would love to try this restaurant out! I wonder who is bigger in Vegan restaurants..NYC or northern california?

33. Penuche is WONDERFUL! I think you’d like it. It is a type of fudge found commonly in New England, particularly northern New England. It is made with brown sugar, butter (Earth Balance works just fine), vanilla, milk/soy milk, and confectioners’ sugar. The dominant flavor is a rich brown sugar-vanilla-butter -y flavor. It almost tastes like maple, but there’s no maple in it. Sometimes people put nuts in their penuche, but I prefer it without. I’ve made a vegan penuche before, but not recently.

34. Whoops, sorry – I need to correct my comment. I checked my penuche recipe and there is no confectioners’ sugar in it. it’s just brown sugar, vanilla, butter, and milk. It is made just like traditional fudge is – boiled, stirred vigorously, etc. Using vegan margarine and soy milk works fine.

35. Dawn says:

I would love to know the recipe for green lemonade. Can I request that you make it?

1. Dawn says:

Awesome, I have a bottle of volcano lemon juice and would like to see if I can make green lemonade with it.

36. duddes02 says:

I used to love peacefood until they got a B on their restaurant grade.
    When in NYC-you should keep an eye out for the letter grades posted outside the stores.

You can use the search tool here:

The violations aren’t terrible-but I’d rather go to an A :)

37. Natalie says:

KATIE – i’m gonna be in NYC too!!! i want to see you just to get your autograph so when you become (even more) famous, i can show all my friends how i met you first. and also it would just be super cool to meet you in person. i’m going to be there tomorrow, but chances are you’re already gone. hope you had fun anyway! –Nat

38. Hannah says:

Next time you go to Peacefood definitely check out the tofu coconut curry dinner special. Absolutely amazing. Also recommend their raw lasagna.

39. Gabriella says:

What was the raw cinnamon roll made out of?

40. Tanner says:

Yes! When it is raining outside all I want to do is curl up on the sofa, eat cinnamon popcorn, and watch TV. I’ve heard lots about Sun Warrior, too. Did you like it?