Naked Pizza

We started our day at the Union Square Farmer’s Market:

vegan food truck

Whenever I visit New York City and walk through Union Square, I gaze longingly at the famous farmer’s market, wishing I actually lived in the city and could thus take advantage of the greenmarket’s offerings. This year, therefore, it was fun to pretend I was a local, shopping for fresh fruits and veggies… and trying to remember that Jessica’s tiny refrigerator only comes up to my knee!

A healthy food truck decided to park itself right outside the market.

vegan food cart

I bought a coconut truffle, and a cashew-based Macaroni and Cheese to try later:

mac and cheese food cart

The coconut truffle was delicious (albeit tiny). I didn’t like the moc and cheese, but I admittedly have very high standards now that I’ve tried Blossom’s vegan cheese sauce.

Speaking of cheese… this was lunch:

naked pizza

S and I spotted this restaurant called “Naked Pizza” as we were walking from 14th street to the East Village, and we figured it was perfect for both of us: vegan-friendly for me, and pizza for him!

Above is the pizza we ordered, with Daiya cheese on the left and mozzarella (non-vegan) cheese on the right. We both decided on mushrooms and spinach for our respective side’s toppings, and I liked how the crust was whole-grain.

vegan pizza

S just liked that it tasted good Winking smile.

And later, for dessert…

vegan-ice-cream-shop_thumb_thumb

More ice cream from Lula’s!

Their chocolate ice cream tastes like you are eating a chocolate milkshake. Hands down the best chocolate ice cream I have ever eaten, vegan or not.

Question of the Day:

What toppings, if any, do you usually like on your pizza?

When I was really little, I detested tomato sauce. So I’d order “white” pizza with just cheese and nothing else. Then I was introduced to the concept of Hawaiian pizza, with pineapple and ham, and that became my favorite for awhile. Somewhere along the way, I learned to love tomato sauce. Thank goodness, because it’d be pretty hard to eat pizza if you were a vegan who hated tomato sauce… all you’d be eating would be crust!

Link of the Day:

banana-bread-doughnuts_thumb_3

Banana Breakfast Doughnuts

Tags:

1. Suzie says:

I have heard of Naked Pizza and anxious to try it when I get a chance, looks fantastic!

1. Same here! Next time I’ll go to NY, that’s definitelly a place on my to go list. Actually… I am more excited for all the food options in NY than the sight. But I have to admit that I’ve already seen most of the city (but it’s NY, so there’s always more to discover!) 😉

1. I definitely love NY more for the food than the sights :)

2. Janice says:

This looks so good! I like pizza but i always try and find a healthier version! Or at least make sure its going to be really delicious to make it worth it lol.

3. AH pizza looks amazing! I top with mushrooms :)

4. I am NOT a pineapple lover on pizza – I could do without it forever!! I just love to pack on the veggies, mainly the hot peppers 😉 Your half looks so tasty! We normally buy the orange Daiya to add at home after we order a pizza with no cheese, but I really want to get the mozzarella and try that next!

5. Melissa says:

I’m glad you got to Lula’s! Living on the same block makes it oh-so-tempting every day… Did you pop into the Creative Little Garden? It’s a hidden gem in the neighborhood a few doors down from Lula’s.

6. I always overload my pizza with as many veggies as possible – to the point I can hardly hold it before the crust gives out on the bottom lol

7. I didn’t know Naked Pizza had vegan cheese! Also I’m pretty sure you walked right past where I used to live in NYC on your way to Lula’s…

8. Erin says:

Haha, I laughed out loud when I read how it would be hard to eat pizza if you were a vegan who hated tomato sauce 😀

I don’t really know what my favorite toppings are… I feel like you can hardly taste them sometimes. I did have an eggplant pizza the other day that was very good though 😀 And I always add crushed red pepper.

1. J. Edgar Mayeaux says:

Vegan Pizza Dough Sucks. Traditional and the best pizza doughs uses eggs. I use to manage a popular Pizza place in Dallas. We made many a vegetarian and vegan customers smile with our cheeseless veggie pizzas. None of them asked about the dough and we didn’t tell them unless they asked.

1. That’s not only really deceitful, it’s also not a very smart business practice… you could be opening yourself up for lawsuits from people with allergies :(

1. Mary says:

Seriously! What a jerk… I wish he had gotten sued. He would have deserved it.

I smiled when I read your entry because I also hated tomato sauce when I was little (and spaghetti sauce, and ketchup… and peanut butter… etc. etc.). And I didn’t think you were “allowed” to order a pizza without sauce! The day I finally discovered white pizza was pretty exciting, IIRC. I recently discovered American Flatbread’s Vegan Harvest frozen pizza, and it’s sooooo good. It uses Daiya.

9. Lisa @bitesforbabies says:

I love love love seafood pizza with mozzarella (and no sauce!) YUM!!!

10. Becca says:

I love margherita pizza (mozzarella, tomato, and basil) on a wheat crust! So delicious!,

11. For my poor lactose-intolerant stomach, that mac n cheese looks HEAVEN SENT. Do tell if it’s good!!

1. Katie mentioned what she thought of it in the post.

” I didn’t like the moc and cheese, but I admittedly have very high standards now that I’ve tried Blossom’s vegan cheese sauce.”

1. Sorry, I should’ve been more explicit – I was merely asking for an opinion on how to make it better. I love (anything) cashews, so I was hoping for some advice on how that type of mac n cheese could be made better!

12. Nicole says:

I’ve loved your travel posts so very much! Please continue to do more in the future. I love seeing the vegetarian offerings in other areas coupled with your high quality photography and commentary.

13. Either Hawaiian or BBQ chicken pizzas will make me extremely happy!

Although, if I’m aiming for something a big healthier, spinach, mushrooms and ham is my favourite way to go.

14. I love tomatoes, basil and chicken – nice and simple! And I’m actually not a huge fan of cheese, just a little is fine with me!

15. Wow, all of your eats look amazing! I really vary on my favorite pizza toppings. Sometimes I like classic pepperoni, but I also really like putting lots of veggies on my pizza. And banana peppers are always a must!

16. Tricia says:

That Daiya pizza looks amazing! Suddenly, I wanna visit NYC! Today, I had pizza for lunch as well– Amy’s frozen pizza. I normally like tofu and spinach on my pizza with soy sauce and fennel– sounds odd, but the combo really works well :)

17. Thats great they they did half vegan / half regular pizza!
    I have never been a huge fan of tomato sauce as a base either so I always get it with BBQ.
    Never heard of a white Pizza before though!

18. Oh I wish I was back in NY… really miss that city!

19. CJ says:

My favorite (homemade) pizza lately has been one without tomato sauce. I actually do a melted Earth Balance/EVOO, minced garlic, and oregano combo that I brush over my dough. Then I mash up cannellini beans with a bit of lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder (I love garlic) and spread across to act as the cheese (I dislike Daiya). Then I top it off with sauteed red onions and kale (also with a bit of lemon juice). So yummy.

When I order pizza, though, I do load up on the veggies so that I don’t feel like I’m missing out.

20. BroccoliHut says:

I’m actually a big fan of fusion pizzas, particularly those with an Asian twist. Sub peanut sauce for the tomato sauce, ditch the cheese and pile on the veggies!