Vegan Pinkberry Frozen Yogurt?

Unhappy feet.

As a runner, I think I’m in good shape. But every time I go to NYC I’m reminded there’s a whole new meaning to the idea of being in shape!

fuscia dresses

(Fuschia dress courtesy of Gap… on sale! Orange bag courtesy of Organic Avenue. Who needs a $150 Coach bag when you can use a free shopping bag instead?)

Why anyone in the city would set foot inside a gym, I’ll never know. Just walking from place to place is a workout in itself. One such day of walking landed us at Yorganic, which is Jess’s favorite healthy spot to eat. The café, located in the Financial District, serves sandwiches, soups, breakfasts, snacks, and bowl meals. It’s takeout only, so we walked our lunches over to Whole Foods, conveniently right across the street.

vegan soba bowl

I ordered a customized “Bliss Bowl” with broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, and zucchini (all sautéed in sesame oil) over soba noodles. It came with a choice of dressings, and I chose lemongrass ginger.

After lunch, we walked to the South Street Seaport. But we soon came right back, because…

yorganic

Frozen yogurt!

The first spoonful startled me; it was tart instead of sweet. But after the initial surprise, I really enjoyed the flavor, which reminded me of those drinkable yogurt smoothies I used to like as a kid.

Jess (who got the non-vegan frozen yogurt) tried mine and said it tasted exactly like Pinkberry!

soy frozen yogurt

Upon arriving home, I tried to re-create that delightfully-tart frozen yogurt. In the end I did come up with a recipe, which I’ll post next week (as soon as I can take photos).

Question of the Day:

In your everyday life, do you walk a lot?

I definitely walked much more when I was in college. My city isn’t really a walking city, so the amount of walking I do now mainly consists of shopping (does that even count?) and taking my dogs out every day.

Link of the Day:

raspberry muffins

Raspberry Breakfast Muffins

Tags:

1. Nikki says:

Right now I live in America but I was born in Europe, and I can tell you right now, that Europeans walk SO much more. When I first came to the states I was shocked to see people driving to their mailboxes and fighting for a parking spot near the front! It is ridiculous, really! Now, I make it a point to ‘get moving’ more and walk everywhere I can.

2. Christy says:

Oh how I love New York if not merely for the ability to walk everywhere! My husband and I never even rented a car when we were there for two weeks. I swear I was in the best shape ever after that trip. I don’t walk nearly enough at home because we don’t live in a real walker friendly town. I walk to shop as you mentioned and I walk my dog. Other than that I drive to the gym to work out blah!!

3. When I was in NYC we walked about 10 miles a day! I looked at it as a way to eat whatever I wanted while I was there. It worked – I didn’t gain an ounce!

4. I walk around a lot now, especially with the price of gas not going down much. And since I’m practically surrounded by stores, I can just walk to get anything I need. 🙂

5. Olivia says:

I just started high school last Monday, and and OH MY GOODNESS is it a lot of walking and rushing around. I also have to carry around all of my folders and 4 big textbooks in a bookbag, so school feels like a workout in itself!

6. Nina says:

I actually don’t drive so I need to walk or bike most places. My dog also likes big walks so I am doing a lot of walking between errands, meeting clients, and taking her out. My husband drives but for local errands we walk. Traffic on the weekends is crazy so it’s quicker to walk anyway.

I love the raw everything bagels from Organic Avenue. Any chance you could figure out how to make those? 🙂

1. Unfortunately, I didn’t see those so I have no idea what they taste/look like 🙁

7. Pink berry frozen yogurt? I’ve never heard of that. Sounds yummy, though! I can’t wait for the recipe.

I don’t live in much of a walking city either. I try to walk 5 days a week so I have some form of exercise.

8. Yum!! Looking forward to your recipe. I moved to Boston a little less than a year ago.. sold my car and I walk everywhere.. I have lost 100 lbs without setting foot in the gym or changing my eating habits!

9. Haha I learned to walk a lot when I went to school in Charleston, SC without a car! When I first got there I was so exhausted walking around, but I got used to it really quickly! Now I’m in Chicago without a car and a half mile to the grocery store or gym seems like absolutely nothing! I walk quite a bit every day!

10. Unfortunately, my city isn’t a walking city either, but I do walk my dog every morning in my neighborhood. I would love to live in a city, like NYC, that I could walk to work, to the store, to the nearest yogurt place! 😉

11. Liz says:

I love your dress! Wish they would make vegan Pinkberry for real. Pinkberry, if you’re reading this, please make a dairy free option for all of us out there who don’t eat dairy!

12. Julie says:

I definitely walk a lot ! I love walking ! And since I’m in the US, I can’t stop doing it as I don’t have any car… Plus I started running in the morning, which is great ! I’m surrounded by a huge forest !

I would have loved to try your vegan ice-cream yoghurt when I was in NYC. Let me know in advance next time you go there in order to catch up !!

xx

Jules

13. I try to walk where I can when I can. We live near my daughter’s elementary school so instead of driving to drop her and pick her up, we walk. It isn’t always fun in this 100+ degree Texas heat but hey, I will take it over the super cold.

14. Karen says:

It depends… when I’m in grad school I spend a ton of time walking across campus, but this summer I’ve been working at an office job and barely walking at all! I make sure to get a workout in every day, but it’s not the same! I hate having to sit for 8 hours a day 🙁

15. Sarah L says:

I *think* I walk semi much normally, and I’ll probably walk stairs more now since I’m moving in on the 7th floor and running up the stairs takes just as long to wait for the lift. I’ve always had very active jobs though, so I’ve moved a lot this summer, and then added running on top!

I’ve never heard of pinkberries. Sounds… pink?

16. laura says:

I have a chronic disease, so I don’t exercise Mich. I do walk my dogs sometimes, but I pass out if I go on too long a walk.

17. Crafty lil vegan says:

When I was at Uni, I walked Everywhere! I always seemed to live up a hill, so walking home after class was always a workout! Now though.. I work at home, where I spend most of my time sat painting! I seriously need to get more walking scheduled into my week – the most I get now is a daily trip to the post office, which isn’t that far away!
    This looks lovely! I’m not a fan of sweet icecreams, so this sounds like it will be more my kind of treat!

18. vogelstar says:

In Japan we walked everywhere and it all seemed to be uphill for some reason. We came home with legs of steel

19. I live in Paris and I walk everrrywhere. I sometimes worry what would happen to me if I were to move.

20. Joanne @ threeunderthree says:

I walk a LOT. The school run is 6 miles each day, 50% of which is up a steep hill and I usually have three children in a double pushchair 🙂

Your recipe sounds great, I can’t wait!