Black Bean Brownies – No Flour Required!

Black Bean Brownies – the ultra fudgy and decadent chocolate treat.

The famous chocolate fudge black bean brownies recipe from @choccoveredkt... (500k + repins) http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/

EDIT: Thank you to everyone who has been asking…

After more than 3 years in the works, The Chocolate Covered Katie Cookbook is finally available – based on your feedback, every single recipe in the book comes with complete nutrition facts including calories, total fat, carbohydrates, protein, and Weight Watchers points plus!

black bean brownies

I know what you’re thinking.

“Why would I want to eat a ‘healthy’ brownie when I could be eating a deep, dark, rich, fudgey, and chocolatey brownie instead?”

But what if the deep, dark, rich, chocolate brownie is the  healthy brownie?

No, not in a dream world. These black bean brownies are healthy brownies that DO NOT taste healthy, and I can say that with assurance, as they’ve been tested on three different groups of people used to “normal” desserts. For the ultimate test, my roommate brought two pans of the black bean brownies into work and set them down on the table without revealing the secret or saying they were healthy. She came home with no brownies left… but with five requests for the black bean brownie recipe!

black bean brownie recipe

I know some of you have been disappointed by mediocre black bean brownies you’ve tried in the past, which is why it’s taken me so long to come up with my own recipe:

I’ve tried some awful black bean brownie recipes in the past, too. For example? Don’t think you’ll get brownies by adding cocoa powder to my white bean blondies recipe. Trust me. You’ll get cardboard!) I wanted a recipe that would not let people down; a recipe that could stand up to a regular sugar-and-flour brownie in a competition. And these really do!

Flourless Black Bean Brownies - Rich, FUDGY better-than-boxed brownies, one of the most popular recipes I've EVER made! @choccoveredkt http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/

Also, huge thanks to everyone who’s been sharing these on Instagram! If you make them and want to share, I am @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram.

pin-it

Black Bean Brownies

Print This Recipe 4.88/5
4.88/5155

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups black beans (1 15-oz can, drained and rinsed very well) (250g after draining)
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder (10g)
  • 1/2 cup quick oats (40g) (See nutrition link below for substitutions)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or agave (or honey, but not for strict vegans.) (75g)
  • pinch uncut stevia OR 2 tbsp sugar (or omit and increase maple syrup to 1/2 cup)
  • 1/4 cup coconut or vegetable oil (40g) (See nutrition link for substitution notes)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup chocolate chips (115-140g) (Not optional. Omit at your own risk.)
  • optional: more chips, for presentation
Total Time: 15m
Yield: 9-12 brownies

Instructions

Black Bean Brownies Recipe: Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine all ingredients except chips in a good food processor, and blend until completely smooth. Really blend well. (A blender can work if you absolutely must, but the texture—and even the taste—will be much better in a food processor.) Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8×8 pan. Optional: sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top. Cook the black bean brownies 15-18 minutes, then let cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut. If they still look a bit undercooked, you can place them in the fridge overnight and they will magically firm up! Makes 9-12 brownies. The trick with these: serve them first, and then reveal the secret ingredient. In all the times I’ve served bean desserts, not one single person who didn’t know beforehand has ever guessed!

View Black Bean Brownies Nutrition Facts

chocolate covered katie brownies

To anyone who wants to like the brand new Chocolate Covered Katie facebook page, I will seriously love you forever!!

The Chocolate Covered Katie Facebook Page

Link Of The Day:

Rich, chocolatey, moist, fudgey brownies from @choccoveredkt with a secret ingredient – zucchini! The recipe is to die for! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/05/31/healthy-chocolate-fudge-zucchini-brownies/

Zucchini Brownies – One of my personal favorite recipes on the blog!

chocolate covered email button

Tags: , , , ,

1. Stefanie says:

I have tried black bean brownies before and enjoyed them. I have a question about coconut oil; does it give the baked goods a coconut flavor?

1. Laura says:

Nope, it does not. Can’t really taste it much at all.

1. LinkTheHylian says:

If you are sensitive to coconut taste, yes, it might. I’m not a coconut “fan” but I don’t dislike it, and sometimes coconut oil can break (or make I suppose!) some things for me. I’m not a chemist, so I i don’t know if this is an unsound/un-tasty option, but maybe you could try half coconut oil, half vegetable and see how your taste buds react…?

1. Chelsea says:

It probably depends on the type of coconut oil you use. I try to substitute coconut oil when possible

1. Chelsea says:

Sorry got cut off.. Some brands have more coconut flavor than others.

2. Marie2375 says:

I think it depends on the brand of coconut oil. I think Spectrum does not really have a coconut taste, but the one from Trader Joe’s does.

1. Andrea says:

I like the coconut taste so I use virgin coconut oil from Spectrum…However, my friend does not. She gets hers from natural oils.com and says if you don’t like the coconut taste Don’t get the extra virgin kind. (I don’t know what that does to the nutritive value, but worth a try if you don’t like the coconut taste. My birthday is coming soon so I’m looking forward to trying your recipe as I’ve recently become a Nutritarian 🙂

2. Wow! Black beans in brownies? I have to try these. I won’t tell my kids what is in it until after they eat them.

1. I made these brownies and they turned out awesome! It was nice to eat a brownie and not feel guilty about eating it. I was really surprised as to how good the taste was and I would have never known that there were beans in it if I didn’t make it myself. These brownies sure do satisfy your cravings for chocolate. It was also hard just to eat just one.

3. emily says:

Happy Birthday Katie!

4. Moe Purple says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

5. I love the looks of this recipe!! I definitely want to try it with your addition of oats. I have a really delicious one too. Check it out here http://www.hungryhealthygirl.com/2012/08/22/day-4-back-to-school-snacks-brownies-wiaw/.

6. Bridgit says:

Thank you! I can’t wait to make these. I’m always looking for fun things to make with my girls. These will be PERFECT to send it to school as a special treat.

7. Jessica says:

Ok this is way off topic, but my brother walked by while I had your website up to write down the recipe (you need a print option, btw) and he said “Who’s that? She’s hot!”

LOL! Love your website! 🙂

1. Laura says:

LOL!!!
      And seconded on the print option. That would be awesome!

8. Aw, I’ve been waiting for a black bean recipe! 😉 Just have to find some black beans in my town now – guess that might be the hardest part!!!

9. Guilla says:

Dear Katie,
    I LOVE your recipes. I haven’t really had time to make any of them, I’ve been doing some research on dairy free recipes because my (almost) 3 year old daughter has recently developed an allergy to dairy products. But I promise to try something out and let you know how it goes, also I need to loose some 20+ pounds so your recipes definitely come in handy. Plus, I own a blog of my own recipes in Spanish (I live in Mexico City), I just started and it is kind of my hobbie but being a mom, plus helping my husband with his consulting company gives me little time to cook often and post more. I was wondering if I have your permission to translate and post some of your recipes on my blog, of course always referring to yours as the original source.

Anyway thank you, and BTW I am a little worried that you seem much skinnier in this pic than you did before, are you OK? 🙂 Hope you are.

1. laura says:

This picture was from memorial day, so it’s actually before the “recent” pictures, just to calrify. 🙂

1. Guilla says:

Oh, great! Nothing to worry about then… 🙂

10. Jen says:

Hi CCK!

I don’t usually make recipes the day they’re posted, but these were just calling to me, and I had no excuse because I had all the ingredients. OMG new favorite dessert right here.

People, run to your kitchens and make these ASAP!

11. Shauna says:

Can’t believe it, I just made black bean brownies this morning from another recipe…always check CCK first I guess! Hopefully these are ok too but I sense a Black Bean Brownie face-off in the works! 🙂

12. Wendy says:

Hi Katie,
    Does coconut oil have a subtle taste or will you be able to taste it in baked goods? I’m asking because the person I want to make these brownies for isn’t crazy about coconut but if they can’t tell it’s in them I’ll still use it.

1. Laura says:

You really can’t taste it!

1. Catherine says:

Hi Katie,

These look great. I have a question about the coconut oil – should it be melted, or straight from the jar?

Thanks!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Always melted, unless a recipe specifically says solid. In this case, melted.

2. LinkTheHylian says:

I kinda posted this somewhere else in this comment string too, lol, but: If they’re not crazy about coconut, I would be cautious. For instance, I’ll have coconut flakes on a sundae or a couple shreds in a chocolate chip cookie, but not as a cake frosting or a popsicle flavor. However, with these being chocolate, when I make these I mighttttt take a chance – it’ll probably mask that coconut buttery flavor.

1. watcher513 says:

If someone doesn’t like the taste of coconut (regular coconut oil will have a slight coconut taste), get the Expeller Pressed, Refined Coconut Oil. There is No coconut taste at all with that one. Also, coconut oil is solid under 76 degrees. Over that, it melts, so if it’s hot where you are then it gets solid, it’s Fine. Does Not need to be refrigerated and it’s really good for you.

13. Kendra says:

I have never tried black bean brownies–but I am definitely NOT scared of making them:D Putting “weird” ingredients in desserts has never really intimidated me; after all, there isn’t a “right” way to make desserts–just because they aren’t filled with butter, sugar, and eggs doesn’t mean they aren’t made “the right way.” This recipe looks fantastic, and I will have to try it sometime soon!!

14. Kerry says:

Im excited to make these tomorrow night. Im hoping they are as good as they look because Im wanting to make these for my daughters birthday treat to take into school. Im very new with trying healthy desserts but Im keeping an open mind and Im quite optimistic overall. Thank you, Katie, for what you do. 🙂

15. Kelsey says:

I keep seeing black bean brownies all over the internet. I have GOT to try these!

16. Suzanne says:

I am totally intrigued. I wonder if my boys would eat these.

1. Vanessa says:

My boys {6,3} love them. I didn’t tell them that there are beans in them and don’t know the difference. They did see me mix the chocolate chips in. 🙂

17. Amanda says:

My husband has recently had to go wheat-free, so I’ve been making a version of black bean brownies similar to yours here. They aren’t the same, but good enough that he’s very happy every time I make them! I make sure to warn others before they try them so they aren’t expecting normal brownies. 😉 I’m excited by the blondies recipe, too! I’ll have to try that one next!

1. Kelly says:

I am also wheat free…what did you substitute for the oats???? Excited to try. I also have a recipe for black bean cake with rough chopped apples, cinnimon, clove and other spices…but I’m wheat free and don’t know how to substitute the flour. HELP!!!

1. Anonymous says:

Oats are gluten free, except for sometimes they are crossed contaminated with wheat. You can certified gf oats. Or you can use a smaller amount (like 1/4 c. ) of flax meal or you could use 1 or 2 eggs. (I’m dairy free not vegan) I recommend 1 egg because I have made these twice and the first time they were good, the second time they they were really good but undercooked despite cooking them for longer than the recommended time, I think it’s because I used 2 eggs.

2. Anonymous says:

I put in a scoop of vanilla garden of life protein powder (about 3 Tbsp) instead of the oats (and left out the vanilla essence) it was delicious! the mixture tasted so good i almost didn’t want to bother cooking it hehe 😉 I also left all the oil out and put in 2 Tbsp applesauce and 2 Tbsp peanut butter instead.

3. kara says:

About half of us gluten intolerant folks cannot eat gluten free oats without a reaction. Any suggestions on a good substitute?

1. Danielle says:

I think I’m about 2 years late on this reply, but I just tried the brownie recipe yesterday with 1/4 cup almond meal and 1/4 cup coconut flour. They were great!

18. Andrea says:

I have some black beans in the cupboard (dry) and I’ve been wanting to create a healthy dessert for a while now. This is exactly what I was looking for, and I didn’t even know it! Thanks 😉

19. Melanie says:

Happy Birthday! Thanks for making all of our lives a little sweeter and healthier! I can’t wait to try these. I might have to fit them in my busy schedule tonight. =)

20. I can not wait to try these!
    At work , people always tell me that my diet must be so boring because im way to healthy.
    I’ll be taking these babies to work to prove a point.

Thanks Katie x