Guess where I am!

A big thank you to whomever put this recipe on Pinterest. All of a sudden, it’s getting a ridiculously crazy amount of views, which is really exciting.

Even more exciting was getting to meet the world’s largest rooster:

Chocolate Covered Katie before and after

Actually, the chickens pretty much ignored me.

The pigs were much friendlier:

rescue pig

I had to make a quick trip to NYC last week, and so I took a side excursion to one of my favorite places: The Catskill Animal Sanctuary, a safe haven for abused, abandoned, and neglected animals.

Other trip highlights so far:

gobo_thumb1

Ginger seitan from Gobo, an Asian fusion restaurant. Normally I’m really not a mock-meat fan. (Prior to this trip I don’t think I’d eaten seitan in over a year, which was perfectly fine by me.) But Gobo’s seitan is amazing.

Angelica Kitchen

Soba and veggies from Angelica Kitchen. See that basil pesto sauce on the top? I’m not exactly sure what they put in it to make it taste so good, but I don’t think it’s legal!

hangawi-cheesecake_thumb7

Cheesecake!!

I’m a cheesecake snob and have very high standards. A restaurant called Hangawi makes one of the best NYC-style cheesecakes—vegan or otherwise—that I have ever eaten. This time I bought four slices so I can take some home with me to Texas. They are that good.

Link of the Day:

macadamia-cookies_thumb

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Tags:

1. Elizabeth says:

Healthy poptarts pretty please! Poptarts are a guilty pleasure but I refuse to eat them now that I know how many calories are in each one! A healthy version would be awesome.

2. Claire says:

Pop Tarts!

3. Angie says:

Poptarts if they are apple brown sugar!

4. Michelle says:

I agree! That cheesecake from Hangawi is AMAZING! I won’t eat any other vegan (or otherwise) cheesecake after having that.

5. Honeybird says:

And we go with… poptarts 😛
    It will both have chocolate in it anyway I guess 😉

6. Lydia says:

Pop tarts! But I really only like the Nature’s Path ones…they don’t taste quite as artificial as the real thing 🙂

7. I love going to animal Sanctuaries. I love how they save animals and there are so many different kinds in one place!

Enjoy yourself on your trip!

8. Erikka says:

Definitely poptarts- yummmm

9. mrsluckypants says:

I vote for Pop Tarts as well. I’m sure you have a million ideas going through your head, but what about a vegan cake pop recipe? I don’t recall seeing anything like that before, if there is please let me know where it is on your site.

1. It’s on my growing to-do list! 🙂

10. Emelia says:

Poptarts, please!

11. Sharky says:

Yay, Poptarts! I’m an addict, but I don’t like the frosted ones, just the unfrosted.

12. April says:

POP TARTS. PLEASE. *_* OH MY GOODNESS XD haha thank you Katie!

13. brianna says:

Pop tarts. I’d love a low cal breakfast pastry. I love those Pillsbury Toaster Struedels – something similar to that would be good.

14. Mackenzie says:

First one for Cookie Dough!!!! I <3 Cookie Dough! I was just about to make your cookie dough popsicles… But either way, I bet it'll be great! 😀

15. Anonymous says:

That cheesecake looked simply scrumptious! 😉
    &i vote pop tarts ALL THE WAY. They were a childhood guilty pleasure of mine. I’d like to see them get a healthy makeover.

16. TB says:

I’m not sure who recently posted that recipe on Pinterest recently, but I know that the Pinterest posting of that recipe is how I stumbled upon your blog a few months ago. Right around when the Presidential debates were in full swing, an article was written about how Ann Romney uses Pinterest and she “pinned” that chocolate egg recipe. Regardless of your (or anyone’s) political ties, we can all appreciate a great recipe when we see one. Perhaps her page has once again become popular? Either way, I am SO glad I found this blog (and so are my friends)!

1. Thank you for letting me know, and for such a kind comment. I just went to her page and she has my granola bars pinned as well, which put the biggest smile on my face. (I also like how politics don’t matter when it comes to Pinterest. Sometimes you need a break from heavy subjects like politics. What better place for that than the site known for its adorable animals and pretty photos? :))

17. Cate says:

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Poptarts please!!!!

1. Shannon says:

oooo I second that!!

1. cathy taylor says:

I third it!!!!!

18. Michelle says:

Poptarts!
    We’ve been to the gentle barn in cal…so cool

19. Gabrielle says:

haha, I know I’m not the only one, but I pinned that!

I knew that if I couldn’t stop drooling while looking at it, it would be a big hit with the folks on pinterest (i.e. the majority of the female population).

Your photography has gotten so fantastic lately! I just love these pics from the restaurants you attended – they should hire you as their official food photographer! You’re giving them some excellent publicity 🙂

Love love love your blog and you and just everything here.

Cheers,

Gab

1. Gabrielle says:

Ann Romney may have done it.
      Maybe.

2. Thank you!! I’d have a problem working at Hangawi… The staff would probably get mad at me when all the food photos had bite marks in them ;).

20. I had to even admit it but *love* poptarts. I haven’t had one in years but the chocolate fudge gets me every time!