Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Guess where I am!

A big thank you to whomever put this recipe on Pinterest. All of a sudden, it’s getting a ridiculously crazy amount of views, which is really exciting.

Even more exciting was getting to meet the world’s largest rooster:

Chocolate Covered Katie before and after

Actually, the chickens pretty much ignored me.

The pigs were much friendlier:

rescue pig

I had to make a quick trip to NYC last week, and so I took a side excursion to one of my favorite places: The Catskill Animal Sanctuary, a safe haven for abused, abandoned, and neglected animals.

Other trip highlights so far:

Ginger seitan from Gobo, an Asian fusion restaurant. Normally I’m really not a mock-meat fan. (Prior to this trip I don’t think I’d eaten seitan in over a year, which was perfectly fine by me.) But Gobo’s seitan is amazing.

Angelica Kitchen

Soba and veggies from Angelica Kitchen. See that basil pesto sauce on the top? I’m not exactly sure what they put in it to make it taste so good, but I don’t think it’s legal!

I’m a cheesecake snob and have very high standards. A restaurant called Hangawi makes one of the best NYC-style cheesecakes—vegan or otherwise—that I have ever eaten. This time I bought four slices so I can take some home with me to Texas. They are that good.

Link of the Day:

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

[adthrive_ad id='ChocolateCoveredKatie_Below_Post_600x250_300x250' center='1']

1. Elizabeth says:

Healthy poptarts pretty please! Poptarts are a guilty pleasure but I refuse to eat them now that I know how many calories are in each one! A healthy version would be awesome.

2. Claire says:

Pop Tarts!

3. Emily says:

Poptarts. I have been totally craving poptarts and would like a healthier way of making them.

4. Angie says:

Poptarts if they are apple brown sugar!

5. Michelle says:

I agree! That cheesecake from Hangawi is AMAZING! I won’t eat any other vegan (or otherwise) cheesecake after having that.

6. Honeybird says:

And we go with… poptarts 😛
    It will both have chocolate in it anyway I guess 😉

7. Lydia says:

Pop tarts! But I really only like the Nature’s Path ones…they don’t taste quite as artificial as the real thing :)

8. I love going to animal Sanctuaries. I love how they save animals and there are so many different kinds in one place!

Enjoy yourself on your trip!

9. Erikka says:

Definitely poptarts- yummmm

10. Alaine says:

I have to vote for Poptarts. I miss them and I would love to see a vegan & hopefully gluten-free version! :)

11. mrsluckypants says:

I vote for Pop Tarts as well. I’m sure you have a million ideas going through your head, but what about a vegan cake pop recipe? I don’t recall seeing anything like that before, if there is please let me know where it is on your site.

1. It’s on my growing to-do list! :)

12. Emelia says:

Poptarts, please!

13. Sharky says:

Yay, Poptarts! I’m an addict, but I don’t like the frosted ones, just the unfrosted.

14. April says:

POP TARTS. PLEASE. *_* OH MY GOODNESS XD haha thank you Katie!

15. brianna says:

Pop tarts. I’d love a low cal breakfast pastry. I love those Pillsbury Toaster Struedels – something similar to that would be good.

16. Mackenzie says:

First one for Cookie Dough!!!! I <3 Cookie Dough! I was just about to make your cookie dough popsicles… But either way, I bet it'll be great! 😀

17. Anonymous says:

That cheesecake looked simply scrumptious! 😉
    &i vote pop tarts ALL THE WAY. They were a childhood guilty pleasure of mine. I’d like to see them get a healthy makeover.

18. TB says:

I’m not sure who recently posted that recipe on Pinterest recently, but I know that the Pinterest posting of that recipe is how I stumbled upon your blog a few months ago. Right around when the Presidential debates were in full swing, an article was written about how Ann Romney uses Pinterest and she “pinned” that chocolate egg recipe. Regardless of your (or anyone’s) political ties, we can all appreciate a great recipe when we see one. Perhaps her page has once again become popular? Either way, I am SO glad I found this blog (and so are my friends)!

1. Thank you for letting me know, and for such a kind comment. I just went to her page and she has my granola bars pinned as well, which put the biggest smile on my face. (I also like how politics don’t matter when it comes to Pinterest. Sometimes you need a break from heavy subjects like politics. What better place for that than the site known for its adorable animals and pretty photos? :))

19. Cate says:

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Poptarts please!!!!

1. Shannon says:

oooo I second that!!

1. cathy taylor says:

I third it!!!!!

20. Michelle says:

We’ve been to the gentle barn in cal…so cool

21. Gabrielle says:

haha, I know I’m not the only one, but I pinned that!

I knew that if I couldn’t stop drooling while looking at it, it would be a big hit with the folks on pinterest (i.e. the majority of the female population).

Your photography has gotten so fantastic lately! I just love these pics from the restaurants you attended – they should hire you as their official food photographer! You’re giving them some excellent publicity :)

Love love love your blog and you and just everything here.

1. Gabrielle says:

Ann Romney may have done it.

2. Thank you!! I’d have a problem working at Hangawi… The staff would probably get mad at me when all the food photos had bite marks in them ;).

22. I had to even admit it but *love* poptarts. I haven’t had one in years but the chocolate fudge gets me every time!

23. Jenica says:

Please please please pop tarts!

24. NY cheesecake in NY….you lucky duck! Would definitely like to see what you’ve got up your sleeve with regards to the pop tart and so would my kids!!

25. Sophie says:

Oh goodness, hard desicion. Cookie dough flavored pop tarts, maybe? Just kidding. I’d have to say cookie dough. I’m a cookie dough fanatic.

1. I think that’s one of the best ideas I’ve ever heard!

1. Lisa-PanaMOM says:

I agree. Please, cookie dough pop tarts!!!

26. Cosette says:

27. Emma says:

I’ve been wanting a poptart recipe from you for ages!!! Pleeeeeaaaasssse 😀

28. Halie says:

Poptarts all the way!

29. Sue says:

Cookie dough!!

30. I made homemade whole wheat pop tarts the other day. They were delicious!

That rooster is huge!!

31. Alicyn says:

I repinned it from here on pinterest, Kendi Everyday. It looks like she was an original pin from your site.

32. Hollie says:

Healthy cherry pop tarts please!! :)

33. Yvonne says:

Poptarts please!

34. Rachel says:

POPTARTS without oil!!! You would make my life!!!

35. Terri Cole says:

poptarts please!

36. Emilia says:

I have never had an interest in going to Angelica Kitchen, but that meal makes it look delicious! Definitely going to have to head there soon. Congrats on the crazy pageviews, that recipe definitely warrants them :)

37. Kelly says:

Please do poptarts Katie !!! (:

38. Erin says:

Poptarts; there’s cookie dough on here already 😉

39. Kate says:

Poptarts please! That would be great to make some of those for a healthy, easy morning treat for the kiddo!!! 😀

40. Amanda says:

Next time, don’t ask- JUST MAKE BOTH!!! <3 You know we'll love to try ANYTHING you post!

1. Both will be posted eventually. :)
      Looks like pop tarts are winning for tomorrow… although I do love someone’s suggestion above for cookie dough pop tarts.

41. Samantha D. says:

I can never say no to cookie dough…nom nom nom

42. Definitely pop tarts! I’ve had a hankering for some of late so the timing is perfect. :)

43. Patty says:

Yes, please! Start a group chocolate board! Love your recipes and I follow you on Pinterest!

44. Just wanted to add another vote for Pop Tarts!

Loved Hangawi when we ate there last year. Didn’t know about the cheesecake but will put it on the must-try list when we go again in April. Thanks for the tip!

45. Hmmm pop tarts! Love love.

Looks like you’re having a really fun time 😉

46. Evelyn Neal says:

I NEED POP TARTS!!!! I gave them up because of the white flower/white sugar and calories (not that I completely abstain from those, but they are addictive) French Toast pop-tarts were my favorite flavor. Not a fan of the extra sweet ones with frosting.

47. Julie says:

Would LOVE the pop tarts, especially if there was an option for them to be gluten free!

48. Michelle says:

POPTARTS PLEASE!!!!!!!! Preferably strawberry or chocolate fudge but I will love anything!

49. Jennifer from NJ says:

Cookie dough poptarts

50. carmen says:

HAHA, I think everyone would be loving a pop tart, INCLUDING ME!! would love to c one made with coconut flour!!!

51. Laura Miller says:

I agree cookie dough pop tarts! But I really do like cookie dough…

52. Choco-holic ;) says:

53. Gi says:

You already have lots of cookie dough recipes… I vote for pop tarts :)

54. Sydney says:

Pop tart would be amazing! Btw love your website and totally applaud what you are doing! I recently tried becoming a vegatarian earlier this year but with my busy schedule it was very hard to do. I was wondering if u had any tips on going veggie for the first time? Going to start with going veggie and vegan will just have to wait…

55. Mary says:

Pop tarts. I’d love to see how you transform these convenient morning treats into something suitable for our kids ( and us)!

56. Christy says:

pop tarts! and i hope your having fun in NY! (cookie dough sounds really fun too!)

57. Christy says:

oh and here are flavors that i would love for the pop tarts! chocolate and pumkin, fudge, mocha, chocolate coconut, and blueberry. im so exited for the pop tarts AND the cookie dough. numnumnum

58. Natalyn says:

Oh my gosh! Poptarts all the way!!! My favorites are frosted strawberry and maple brown sugar! I miss poptarts so much.

59. Peanut Butter Bunny says:

Sorry I haven’t been here to post in a while, Katie. *Grin* But you’re doing fantastic, as you may already know. ^^ The site hasn’t had a server crash or anything – Always a good sign! 😀
    Question of the day!! Yay!!! I’m gonna have to go with…pop tarts. I’m kiddin’, the pause was fake. XD Pop tarts, definitely!
    The animals are so cute! I love piggies, and chickens. :3 And horses and cows and…well all animals. ^__^ I’m so envious though. THAT FAUX MEAT LOOKS SO GOOD. And the pasta, and…I think you killed me with the cheesecake.

60. Andrea says:

Pop tarts get my vote!

Part of me wishes I still lived in NY! I didn’t grow up in the city, but I was only a few hours north of it. As a kid I didn’t really appreciate it. As an adult I’ve never lived there (I moved to Canada as soon as I turned 18). They have so many restaurants that sound amazing! Where I live now we don’t have much variety, and there’s only one vegetarian restaurant. I find eating out fairly difficult a lot of the time. Even for salads I normally have to request they not add meat! :(

61. Aimee B. says:

Ooooooh, pop tarts, pretty please! :)

62. Poptarts. I want to make some for my sister. We used to watch gilmore girls, so we thought poptarts are super cool and super american. But they are so expensive here in germany.

63. Beautiful piggy!
    COOKIE DOUGH, I’m not a huge fan of pop tarts…

64. snenny says:

Poptarts for this girl please!!!

Your visit looks lovely <3 We rescued some battery hens recently, and now we have three chooks living in our back garden. It's wonderful seeing them begin to recover, grow their feathers back, and learning that people can be good things (like bringers of corn). Well done for visiting the Sanctuary, it's great that you support these places, and that you post about visiting :)

1. I just wish I could do more. Thank you for opening your home (and your heart) to the rescue hens!

65. Alyssa says:

I looooove any sort of cookie dough. Even as a kid I didn’t care for pop tarts…I’m a strange one :-) Glad you got to spend time with the animals!!

66. Sophie says:

POP TARTS!!!! YES YES YES! every day at lunch, i’m surrounded by people eating pop tarts and all that junk. The temptation to indulge in pop tarts is usually present, so to have a healthy pop tart recipe would be awesome!

67. Anna Banana says:

Pop tarts for sure! I told my boyfriend about the possibility of them and he is *really* excited for tomorrow.

One of my earliest memories was at the Catskill Game Farm, which I believe is closed now. I was 3, planted myself on a bench with a goat I named Willie, and refused to move again until it was time to go. He just lay with his head in my lap while I pet him (there’s photographic evidence of this, even).

68. Natalia says:

I love Pop Tarts brand brown sugar and cinnamon poptarts! I would love a recipe for a healthier version!!! Yes please!

69. Spar says:

pop tarts please! i’ve never seen a healthy pop tart before!

70. Casey says:

I know this is not one of your choices but have you ever concidered making a healthifed vegan egg nog? Out of those two though I would have to say cookie dough!

71. Cookie Dough! Oh, and I pinned the egg recipe (it’s diiiivine) for the Cuisinart contest! Love CCK!!

72. Kathy says:

Personally, I prefer cookie dough! I’ve never quite been a fan of pop tarts, except maybe it’s because I haven’t eaten pop tarts in a about 4 years!

73. Andrea says:

Pop tarts!

74. Granger says:

Cookie dough pop tarts! LOL Actually I prefer cookie dough but I’ve never seen a pop tart recipe before so that should be interesting

75. Quin says:

Strawberry pop tarts are THE BEST. They have my vote.

76. Laura says:

Poptarts! Please please PLEASE create a poptart that won’t make me feel sick later!

1. Maria says:

Yes! we know you can do it!

77. Cookie Dough Luver says:

78. Bek @ Crave says:

How xciting! I choose cookie dough :)

79. Misty says:

Pop Tarts! Plenty of cookie dough recipes out there. Haven’t seen too many healthy Pop Tarts, though!

80. Jaclyn says:

81. Kit-Kat says:

Pop tarts!!!! Frosted, please!!!!

82. Becca Rarick says:

Poptarts! I have yet to find a decent poptart replacement. There are already several fantastic cookie dough recipes on here already :)

83. Meredith says:

Cookie dough! I recently pinned that recipe, I hope it is my doing that it’s become so popular :)

84. Erin says:

I vote Pop-Tarts

85. Stephany says:

Pop tarts please ! you’re the only blogger I know for sure will make them healthy and delish !

86. LDT says:

I would love a healthy pop tart recipe! Perhaps with chocolate, fruit or maple variations.

87. how fun!! the piggy is so cute!! and you went to A Kitch!!! that’s my FAAAVORITE restaurant!

88. Gosh, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE soba! That type looks good, but I prefer to make it myself.

89. Steacy says:

Scrap the “pop” and go for a good ol’ tart! I tweeted you awhile ago about it. I’m waiting!!! Don’t rush though…I’m doing fine with your other amazing recipes. I made pumpkin cream cheese bars, crazy ingredient chocolate cake with hot chocolate butter and cornbread just this week! I love everything you do! Thanks Katie :)

90. Hadley says:

91. Kristy says:

Always cookie dough for me! I am eating your cookie ball pops (just as dough, though) right now! :) Love it! I like to use 1/3 cup white flour and 1/4 cup whole wheat flour. Good flavor. I leave out the butter to save myself a few calories. 😉 It’s even good without the chocolate chips! I know, what fun is that? Haha!

I also pinned your recipe for the chocolate PB eggs, but haven’t had a chance to make them yet. I must do that soon!

92. Kayla says:

I love cookie dough a lot.. So that’s tempting..

Pop Tarts because there are already cookie dough recipes. :)

On a side note, is there any chance you could make some sort of pumpkin pie recipe? Thanksgiving is next Monday here in Canada!

93. Katie Yeung says:

Hi Katie,
    I posted a link to your site on my FB and because I am known for vegan sweets amoungst my friends they all thought it was MY site. I wish I were to chocolately gifted!
    I have a blog that I then pin some of the recipes to pinterest from.
    Here are some of my mostly vegan creations.
    My hot tip is the Jaffa vegan brownies. They stop traffic (ok, only because they were being used as road trip snack food and the driver dropped some down her cleavage and had to pull over to get it out…..)

Keep up the amazing/inspiring cooking!

94. Maddy says:

95. Katherine Rowe says:

Healthy, vegan, all natural Pop Tarts would be amazing! And if they were low fat & could have a sugar free option, that would be heaven! :)

96. NessyS says:

I am sure whatever you decide Honey – it will be a HIT!
    That rooster is just Darling! xx

97. benni blasini says:

Hi Katie!
    I’ll be making mass quantities of halloween cookies for a monster party coming up, and I was about to google ‘coconut oil’ frosting. Seems logical, right! But if it exists … You would know.
    What’s the scoop?
    Thanks & take care,

1. I have a lot of healthier frosting recipes on this page (the 9th category):

Not sure if any uses coconut oil, but there are some with coconut butter.

98. I am sooo in love with pigs..

I’m with you about seitan.. I rarely eat it… it has to be prepared very specifically if I’m going to enjoy it.

99. Agne says:

I vote for pop tarts :))

100. Rachel says:

awwwwwww!! Pigs are my absolute favorite animal haha I blame my love of the movie Babe :p

101. Cool I want to visit there someday too. It’s been on my to do list!!

I love Pinterest!! I would love to do your idea and make a community board of posting all are yummy goodies—especially chocolate. :-) count me in and I follow you anyways there!!
    I think I’ll go with pop tarts btw. 😉

102. Rebecca says:

Why choose? How about pop tarts frosted with cookie dough frosting?

103. Susan Risdal says:

I found that the pumpkin cookie dough ice cream was repinned the most. Within 5 minutes, almost 20 people had repinned it!

104. Omg, poptarts for sure!!

105. Kara says:

at starbuck’s this morning i noticed the return of the pumpkin cream cheese muffin and thought to myself, “i wonder if CCK has created a copycat recipe for this delicious but not-vegan, not-healthy muffin…” have you?

1. I have the “single lady” pumpkin chocolate chip muffin. You could always omit the chocolate and frost it with my “better than pillsbury frosting” recipe. Not sure if that would be what you’re looking for!

106. Jenny Leigh Evans says:

Hey Katie! Any updates on the cookbook???

-Anxiously awaiting!

P.S. I’m loving all of the pumpkin posts as pumpkin, chocolate and nut butters are my favorite foods of all time!

1. Thank you, Jenny!
      I am getting really close to being able to give more information about it… maybe next week or the week after?

107. Vyvacious says:

I didn’t even know it but I grew up eating seitan since I was a kid! It was just something that my family naturally included in their diet. I am not a big fan of what I’ve tasted at different restaurants but I am always a huge fan of whenever my mom or aunt makes it. It is one of the most flavorful, amazing dishes you can imagine! They do so many variations too, I love it :)

As for your question, I would love to see the healthified pop tarts! 😛 I’m allergic to all beans which is usually the base in healthy cookie dough sadly…

108. Kristine says:

Pop tarts, PLEASE! With a GF option would be amazing ; )

109. Haver you heard of Farm Sanctuary? They have a location in New York, and it’s my dream to go! It’s probably similar to where you went. Also, happy World Vegetarian Day!

1. Yes, they are definitely a wonderful organization as well!

110. dyan says:

Have you ever compiled a list of your favorite places to eat/shop in NYC? I’m going for the first time in a couple of weeks and i’m all about vegan food tourism. 😉

1. dyan says:

Thanks much!!

111. Stephanie says:

COOKIE DOUGH!!!! I LOVE your cookie dough dip recipe, and I don’t know how you could possibly beat it with something even better, but I have full faith in you!

112. Lil Deli says:

YES! Healthy Poptarts please! We don’t get poptarts in France and I would LOVE to be able to make them! :) I made a version of your choc chip cookie dough yesterday and posted it to my blog. It was delicious.

113. 58Teresa says:

Oh my – you’re only an hour away from me – are you still here? If you are – we’re at 130 Remsen St., Cohoes, NY (More Bread and Jam) :)

114. Jeanie says:

That rooster is HUGE and absolutely gorgeous!

It’s so nice to learn of new animal sanctuaries in my general area. If you ever get to Northeastern Pennsylvania (just a hop, skip and a jump away from NYC, really 😉 please check out Indraloka Animal Sanctuary. Indraloka is named after the Sanskrit “heaven for the Gods”, and is founded on two principles:

1) the earth herself and all life are sacred
    2) we are all related

It’s a heaven on Earth! I have just recently begun volunteering there and love visiting.

Have you ever been kissed by a 1200 pound pig? 😉

115. Dave says:

You know, katie. you could really use a hamburger and milkshake once in a while. You’re not “trim and fit,” you’re borderline emaciated. Come on, baby, choke down some grilled meat for daddy…

116. erica says:

Hello there. I would love some help. My sister bought candy corn oreos (vanilla cookie). I want to make a healthy version. Can you help me? I love candy corn, but am trying not to eat things with tons of sugar and dye 😀