What I did for Halloween

I sometimes forget I’m no longer in college.

Gone are the days my body will happily accept 2 hours of sleep.

But you can always tell how good (or bad) a party is by how late everyone stays. I’ve been at parties that start at 7, where nobody is left by 10 PM. However, last night was definitely not one of those parties. When I left  at 3:30, there were still a lot of zombies and goblins dancing around. Not to mention trashy cheerleaders, cops, and nurses…

Has anyone else noticed Halloween costumes seem to get smaller each year?

mint-chocolate-chip-cupcakes

Although it wasn’t the kind of party where you’re supposed to bring food, I brought food anyway, never passing up the opportunity to try out a recipe on unsuspecting taste-testers.

I made my Halloween specialty: Thin Mint Cupcakes.

The zombies and goblins and trashy cheerleaders ate them all up.

The experimental part of the recipe was actually the mint-chocolate frosting I used this time, which I added after arriving, so the cupcakes would be easier to transport. (Frosting recipe coming soon.)

apple crumble bars

I also made a new version of this recipe: Apple Crumble Bars.

My initial costume idea was really awesome; however, some of my friends got stuck and needed another person to complete their Gossip Girl ensemble, so I switched at the last minute. We ended up with more girls than guys—understandably, most of the guys didn’t want to dress up as a Gossip Girl character—which meant one of the girls went as Chuck Bass. It was pretty much the most hilarious costume of the night ever.

Now, please excuse me, as I’m off in search of a strong cup of coffee… My eyelids feel like anvils. I will leave you with a photo of my candy-corn fingernails:

candy corn nails

I guess I’ll have to repaint them now that Halloween’s over!

1. anon says:

cute nails! love the idea :)

2. Eric Jaffa says:

Which Gossip Girl character were you?

1. Bree says:

I’m wondering this as well!

3. Haha. Gossip Girls is like my secret addiction. Are you going to share pictures or at least tell us which one you played? :) My favorite has always been Blair.

And those candy corn nails are awesome. I painted mine black in honor of Halloween.

4. Anonymous says:

Katie your nails are gorgeous!!! Are those your real nails? Also I think we need to see a picture of your costume. I am Gossip Girl obsessed. Who did you go as?

1. Yes, they’re my nails.

I might have to post a photo and see if you all can guess who I went as! :)

5. Sarah says:

I love Gossip Girl! Agree about the trashy costumes, too, although I admit to a few skimpy costumes in high school. Now I am more interested in looking ghoulish than sexy for Halloween, which is why this year my costume was really disgusting, with lots of fake blood and really freaky makeup. It was awesome!

Love the nails!

6. Kendra says:

My 17 yr old daughter said to me ‘Mom, halloween seems just an excuse for girls to dress trashy anymore. It’s so gross.’ Agreed.

7. Love the nails and the food looks good too. :)

8. Sherlock says:

You should post a picture of your costume. There’s definitely been an evolution in women’s costumes but I wouldn’t call these women who wear them “trashy”. Obviously they don’t appeal to everyone but no harm no foul. You want to look sexy, ghoulish, or weird…more power to you. That’s your prerogative.

Btw, the nails look good.

1. Violet says:

agreed, let’s not fuel the girl-on-girl bashing. a costume can be “trashy” but that doesn’t mean the girl wearing it on Halloween is trashy… unless it’s to like a kids party or something, that could be an exception 😉

1. I definitely didn’t mean the people were trashy! Some of these girls are my good friends… I meant “trashy cheerleaders” in that this was the look the girls were going for. They didn’t just dress up as normal-looking cheerleaders. They were trying to look as trashy/sexy/revealing as possible. Sorry for the confusion!

1. Violet says:

I didn’t think that’s what you meant! Just some of the comments were headed that direction…

1. Amanda says:

Saying that someone is dressing ‘trashy’ is a moral judgement. People should be entitled to wear whatever the hell they feel like without being judged.

2. anonymous says:

Did you even bother to read Katie’s response before leaving yours? She said she was not judging them, THEY were the ones calling their costumes “trashy”. That was the point!

3. Ashley says:

Yes, people should be able to wear “sexy” halloween costumes, they should also accept that they will be called trashy, because that is what they are going for! People are entitled to call other trashy if that is what they look like.

2. Anonymous says:

Trashy/Sexy/Reveling are not synonyms. Talk about judging.

1. alloyjane says:

Maybe Katie should’ve framed it as Trashy:Revealing:Sexy, because something that is revealing can either be trashy or sexy, depending on how much anatomy can been seen.

Anyways, she didn’t call anybody a whore, she pointed out something that is true. Halloween costumes are becoming more and more about sex, hence the shrinkage of costumes. It is a trend, and it is probably actually quantifiable by market trends. I like it when Katie shares her personal life with us and you nit-pickers make that less appealing to her. It’s a credit to her character that she makes a point to be sensitive to your kind.

2. I was actually going to use a different word originally, but I changed it at the last minute because the original word might have too much of a sexual connotation for a PG blog.
            But yes, I definitely wasn’t trying to use the word to judge anyone. If you ask one of my friends (who dressed up as a trashy nurse) what her costume was, SHE would tell you, “I’m a trashy nurse.” 😉

2. Maddie says:

Love you for saying that! I was just thinking that. I hate all this “slut-bashing” going on lately. If they want to look sexy then awesome! I’ll enjoy it and so will other people. It’s just another form of appreciating your body and using it for your own art. It’s as lovely as the people who go all out to look scary. :)

9. Amelia says:

Your nails are so cute! Also, really really like this banner and how representative it is of your site. :)

10. Emma says:

What were you going to be originally? :)

1. Cookie Monster’s girlfriend :)

1. Vyvacious says:

Gah! You should have gone through with it!!! That’s an epic costume!

11. Victoria says:

Very cute nails! Mine are usually perma-stained with helicopter oil and grease. Those apple crumble bars almost look to good to eat! (Almost…)

12. Yum…the desserts look fabulous! Your giant cookie cake was a big hit at my Halloween festivities. I shaped it into a jack o’ lantern! Love the nails!

13. 3:30am?? Lol definitely not a party for people who have to work in the morning, but sounds like fun! And I’m sure everyone appreciated your treats!

14. I’m happy for you having enjoyed a great party! Hope you’ll post a picture of your costume! Did you go as Blair seeing as it’d fit regarding your hair colour :)?

Your nails look great and honestly I don’t think you need to repaint them just yet. It’s not like people would only enjoy candy corn on Halloween, right :D?!

15. alloyjane says:

Ah yes, sexy costume syndrome. It has to say something about our society that women are so repressed they think they have one day to let loose and end up going off the deep end. The only difference between many of my costumes and my daily wear is make-up. That does not mean I haven’t worn a costume that could be construed as “sexy,” it just means I wear some short dresses. But I’m short and long dresses are not flattering, so I have a good excuse, heh.

Love the nails, that’s really cute. Can’t wait for that frosting recipe!

16. Kristen says:

Love your nails!! Lol, I do the same thing- am always toting around cupcakes and frosting them when I get there :) I always bring treats, even when the host doesn’t ask for them…. I like hosting best though!

17. Your nails look fantastic! I wish I had the patience to do that.

18. Ohhh I’m totally checking both of these recipes out and I love your nails — so cute!

19. Justin says:

Nice nails! I stayed home and make sure my mini long haired dauschund didn’t go bezerk with all the trick or treaters!

20. Alyssa says:

LOVE the nails!
    In my younger years I confess to wearing some pretty skimpy costumes. Now that I’m a mom and Terribly mature (ahem) I don’t really do costumes much.
    But I must say I was a tiny bit shocked at the 12 year-old trashy cheerleader. Don’t know why I’m still surprised…