Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

What I ate for Thanksgiving Dinner

My Thanksgiving dinner plate:

vegan thanksgiving

Macaroni and cheese is better than turkey any day.

Chandler Bing would agree :).

I celebrated Thanksgiving with my family and a few friends, and the macaroni (this recipe) was actually the only thing on my plate made by me. Everything else: my mom’s broccoli salad (lightly steamed, then tossed with olive oil and lemon juice—so simple but so good), my neighbor’s homemade cranberry sauce, mashed sweet potatoes (cooked with orange juice, then some were set aside for me before the marshmallows went on top), and my favorite magic mushrooms.

The “Magic Mushrooms” recipe is from here.

(Warning: it’s a very old post!)

vegan thanksgiving

And a close-up shot of the macaroni. Recipe coming soon!

For the commenters who asked about appetizers, here is what I ate before the meal: hummus (store-bought) and blue corn chips, a few steamed asparagus from the mostly-raw veggie tray, and quite a few handfuls of roasted pecans, which are one of my favorite things in the world. Oh, and wine! (Beaujolais nouveau, if you’re a wine connoisseur. I’m not one.) How our Thanksgiving works is that we pretty much eat for the entire party, not just when we sit down for dinner! 😉

healthy pecan pie

Dessert was my  Healthy Pecan Pie.

I also had a homemade chocolate truffle from the recipe in Sunday’s post. No pumpkin pie; I’m pumpkin-ed out this holiday season, at least for awhile. (Sorry for the ugly nighttime lighting and flash photography. It doesn’t do the pie–which was a non-chocolate variation of the original recipe–justice at all.)

k and m

The best part of the night was that my sister was able to fly in, which we weren’t sure was going to happen. During the day, she was very useful as a taste-tester. I made a batch of cranberry cookies, and she said, “Please Katie, don’t serve these!”

Question of the Day:

What’s one thing or person you’re thankful for this year?

This year I am thankful for my sister… and for her brutal honesty! I’m also thankful for chocolate-chip cookie dough, chocolate brownies, and chocolate milkshakes. See a pattern?

And I am very thankful for these faces.

1. I’m thankful for realizing I don’t need him 🙂

2. Most thankful for our new puppy – makes our house really feel like home! 🙂

3. Ed says:

Thats some good looking mac and cheese!

4. The macaroni looks super yummy! Can’t wait for the recipe! I’m most thankful for my family, who is brave enough to try all my kitchen experiments. 😉 And for chocolate. Can never forget the chocolate. 🙂

5. I cannot wait for the mac and cheese recipe, I am burned out on pumpkin as well I had so much I never got any pecan pie and it looks so good.!!!

6. Jenni says:

I am thankful for my new little buddy, Macaroni! He followed my sister home one night and decided he didn’t want to live on the streets anymore, so now he lives with me and his 2 other doggy siblings and he seems very happy about it!

7. Terri says:

Oh pretty please post the mac and cheese recipe soon!!!! My son is celebrating his 8th birthday and he asked for mac and cheese for dinner. Would love to make him a delicious healthy version.

1. When is his birthday? If I am not planning to post it in time, I will can email you!

1. Terri says:

Wow thanks. It was yesterday but we are celebrating tonight. I would love to have it emailed if that isn’t too much trouble. If you can’t make it today, no worries. I will throw together another fave of his and plan on the mac and cheese for the weekend. Thanks so much.

8. Love the Friends reference. One of my favorite Thanksgiving episodes is where Monica tries to be sexy to get revenge on Chandler and she ends up cutting off his toe. That scene in the kitchen is hilarious! 😀 Looks like a delicious Thanksgiving and I’m so glad you got to spend it with your family and, especially, your sister. 🙂

9. Lol @ ‘Please Katie, don’t serve these!’

1. Yes, she is very tactful. 😕

10. Sarah the official CCK drooler @RomneyRyan2012 says:

I am so thankful for my dad- yeah he can be tough sometimes but as you get older you realize how much your dad has sacrificed. He is the best, always trying to teach me the truth and setting a godly example for me. It makes me tear up when people come tell me how he’s changed their lives with the love of Christ. Love ya dad! ( and my dad loves your home made almond joys)
    Oh and I am thankful to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for saving me again and again from circumstances I never would have gotten through without His clear intervention. Love You, Jesus! 🙂 I just had to say that 😀

1. becauseHeloves! says:

I’m thankful for Jesus, too!

11. Meagan says:

Looking forward to that mac and cheese recipe!

12. Meagan says:

I stumbled upon your blog several months ago and have since made the pumpkin pizookie, the coconut crack bars and the chocolate chip cookie dough dip, all of which were received EXTREMELY well. Your recipes are incredible and you are my new go to blog when it comes time to make desserts!

13. Yum! That mac & cheese looks delicious! Glad you had a yummy vegan Thanksgiving!

14. Allison says:

Thankful for family, friends )both 2 and 4 legged) and good health.
    What *I* want to know is, what’s that yummy looking orange stuff in the glasses in the (bee-yoo-tee-ful) photo?! And yes, I’m looking forward to the mac&cheese recipe too! =]

1. That is actually a jello “salad” thing a friend makes. My sister loves it!

15. S says:

You don’t eat much at all! Thanksgiving is when I stuff my face – I think I had about four times what you ate 😛

1. I think the photo is deceiving. It really was a lot of food… the macaroni goes pretty far back. Plus appetizers and desserts. And of course quite a lot of tasting while preparing. Can’t forget that!

1. Liz says:

So funny, I thought it looked like a lot of food. Would you mind sharing what appetizers you made? I’m a new vegan and would love some ideas.

1. anonymous says:

Would love to know, too!

2. Emily says:

Haha, I thought the same thing! I was like, ‘whoa, Thanksgiving dinner from a salad plate? I’ve been doing it wrong for years lol’

I’m excited for the macaroni recipe. I’m not a vegan, but I can’t eat dairy so cheese is one thing I really do miss. If you can make something that’s similar to mac’n’cheese, I’m in. c:

16. Jess says:

I’d love a recipe for the macaroni ‘cheeze’! Have I missed a link at all?

17. carolyn says:

As of now, you will DEFINATELY be posting that macaroni and cheese recipe OR ELSE.
    (Or else what?
    OR ELSE I’LL TAKE ALL YOUR CHOCOLATE AWAY! An unbearable punishment, I know…)

18. Omigosh that mac and cheese looks phenom! I cannot wait for the recipe!! And looks like you had a great Thanksgiving dinner! We actually had a gluten-free & vegan Thanksgiving and it was amazing! Everyone enjoyed it which was quite a feat considering there were some skeptics!

19. kimthevegan says:

Mmmm I love mac & cheese. It was my absolute favourite food before going vegan and I finally found a healthy, vegan version to make myself.
    I’m looking forward to seeing your recipe though.
    Glad you got to see your sister =)
    And those are some cute faces!!!

20. Haha I actually live brutal honesty, I think that’s why my best friend from highschool and I are so close: we always know what the other is thinking, nothing to hide!