Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Breakfast Oatmeal Cupcakes To Go

Breakfast Oatmeal Cupcakes – Cook just once, and you get a delicious breakfast for the entire month!

Breakfast Oatmeal Cupcakes - You cook just ONCE and get a delicious breakfast for the entire month - (recipe has been repinned over 500,000 times!) @choccoveredkt

Thank you to everyone who has been asking over the years…

The official Chocolate Covered Katie Cookbook is finally available – and based on your feedback, every single recipe in the book comes with complete nutrition facts including calories, total fat, carbohydrates, protein, and Weight Watchers points plus!

oatmeal cupcakes to go

The breakfast cupcakes are:

• Quick to make
  • Portable and non-messy
  • Easy to eat at a desk… or pack in a lunchbox!

Just throw a couple into your bag, perhaps along with a container of peanut butter and some fresh fruit, and you’re good to go with a balanced breakfast. My roommate, my mom, and five of my friends are all hooked!

oatmeal cupcakes to go

Never skip breakfast again.

Cook once, and you don’t have to worry about breakfast for a month!

These customizable “breakfast” baked oatmeal cupcakes are great on-the-go fuel for those days when you have zero time in the morning to prepare a big meal. And you can easily change up the flavor by choosing different spices and add-ins for endless breakfast cupcake variations!

Breakfast Oatmeal Cupcakes To Go

Print This Recipe 5/5

• 5 cups rolled oats (400g)
  • 2 1/2 cups over-ripe mashed banana (For all substitutions, see nutrition link below) measured after mashing (600g)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 5 NuNaturals stevia packets OR omit and use 5 tbsp pure maple syrup, agave, or honey instead
  • optional: 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
  • 2 2/3 cups water (640g) (If using the liquid-sweetener option, scale water back by 1/3 cup)
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp coconut or veg oil (45g) (Fat-free option listed in the nutrition link below)
  • 2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • optional add-ins: cinnamon, shredded coconut, chopped walnuts, ground flax or wheat germ, raisins or other dried fruit, etc.
Total Time: 25m
Yield: 24-25

Preheat oven to 380 F, and line 24-25 cupcake tins. In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir very well. In a separate bowl, combine and stir all wet ingredients (including banana). Mix wet into dry, then pour into the cupcake liners and bake 21 minutes. I also like to then broil for 1-2 minutes, but it’s optional. (If you let them cool overnight, they’ll no longer stick to the liners.) These oatmeal cakes can be eaten right away, or they can be frozen and reheated for an instant breakfast on a busy day.

View Oatmeal Cupcakes Nutrition Facts

oatmeal muffins

Do you ever skip breakfast?

And what do you usually eat on days when sitting down to breakfast just isn’t an option? When I was a teenager, I hated getting up early, so breakfast was often something portable, eaten in the car as I rushed to school. I never understood how my friends who skipped breakfast could make it through class.  The only times I’ve ever really skipped breakfast were weekends when I was 13 or 14…  because I’d completely sleep through it!

For more recipes, click here: Over 100 Healthy Oatmeal Recipes

1. Nancy Stewart says:

I love oatmeal. Great idea for a quick breakfast.
    Nancy LaPonzina

2. Jen Begin says:

Love your recipes, Katie, thank you!

Is the cook temperature on this recipe really 380 degrees? Wanted to confirm that it wasn’t a typo before I get cooking. Thanks!

3. Debbie says:

I just made these. They were super simple to make, and I tried one fresh out of the oven…YUM! I made half of them with chocolate chips and half with nuts, since my hubby doesnt like the choc in his oatmeal. My one concern is that mine didnt really set very well. Did I do something wrong, or I’m thinking maybe when they are cooled completely they might be set better. Either way…..We will surely enjoy them. Thanks for the recipe.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Yes, just let them cool for a few hours or overnight and the water will absorb.

4. Janice says:

can you tell me how many carbs and sugar levels are in this? Sounds great – hubby is diabetic so was wondering.

1. Hi Janice,
      They are listed in a link in the post :)

5. Andrea says:

I absolutely love these smothered in Nutella! :)

6. Dani says:

OMG these are delicious!!!! Just popped my first one down, fresh out of the oven. I used pecan chips with the chocolate chips and am going to try another batch now with some dried cranberries, too. I can’t wait for my kids to try these for a quick breakfast on school mornings. WOW! YUMMMMM!!!

7. Julia Crail says:

Love these. So easy to have on hand and they are awesome as a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack. I have substituted applesauce for the oil and they are tasty as well.

8. Russell says:

How do keep the coconut oil from coagulating? or does that not matter prior to mixing?

1. As long as all other ingredients are not chilled and the coconut oil is melted, it should stay liqiud in form.

9. Edie says:

I don’t see a print key. How can I print this recipe to save it in a folder?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

To print, first highlight just the recipe itself and right-click “Copy” (or press “control c”); then open a new word document and right-click “Paste” (or press “control v”). You can then name this file and save it in a CCK Recipe folder, and print just that recipe as needed.

10. dana says:

Have you tried these substituting apple sauce for sugar? I’m not a baker, so I usually follow recipes exactly. just looking for less artifical sweetener and sugar.

11. Cristy says:

Made them like the recipe and loved them! Today I made them with applesauce instead of banana, put cranberries, grated orange rind, orange extract in them! My house smelled heavenly and they tasted great! I love orange cranberry foods!! Love how this recipe is so versital! Thanks again for sharing this recipe!!!!

12. Cara says:

Do u store these in the fridge if you are not going to freeze them? Made them today and they are super yummy!!

13. mj says:

Have you experimented with adding protein powder to thia recipe as an extra boost?
    I dont bake at all so I have no idea how the chemistry of all that works

1. I think others have done it but I haven’t.

14. Gena Singh says:

I tried your recipe with steel cut oats. I soaked them overnight to soften them (started with 2.5 cups, which expanded to about 5 cups), then drained off the water and followed your recipe. LOVE them. I’ve had three already, and they’re not even cool yet. :)

15. Nancy says:

Hi, I just made these and they are delicious, but, I was a little disappointed that they stuck to the cupcake liners. Any ideas?

1. Let them cool. The next day they should easily remove :).

16. Theresa says:

Loved your recipe. My daughters gave it 2 thumbs up!! Just one question, do you store them in an airtight container on the counter or in the fridge?

1. Theresa says:

Oops, I did see another post with the same question about storage. Thanks again!

17. Barbara says:

I made a 1/2 recipe with minute oatmeal, 2 pkett splenda, 4 over ripe bananas that I put in my mini chopper & the other ingrdients. Extras were 2 tbs flax seed, 1/4 c coconut & walnuts & dried cranberries each. Filled almost to top of greased muffin pans. Made 13. Had them for breakfast-were very good. Will make these again & make the whole recipe!

18. JaxKat says:

Hi Katie – Thanks for the recipe. I made these this morning with the applesauce substitution for the banana, and was disappointed that they didn’t get nearly as firm as the ones in your photo. Was there something else I should have adjusted?

1. Sorry, I can’t vouch for the results with applesauce.

1. JaxKat says:

That’s too bad, I thought that since it was a recommended substitution it had been tried.

1. Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking of a different recipe. Yes, it will work but as it says in the substitution notes, you will need to decrease the liquid, as applesauce has more liquid than banana.

19. Jackie Hachey says:

I substituted the oil with a snack container of applesauce. I also added a few scoops of protein powder. I maybe should have cooked them just a couple of minutes longer because they were very moist in the middle…but very tasty! Love your recipe ideas!!

20. Lnda says:

what is you have an allergy to stevia? how would you change the recipe so one doesn’t break out in hives and ends up in the bathroom throwing up their guts?

21. Diana says:

These are my new favorites. I’ve made several batches. I’ve gifted to friends, shared the recipe and frozen for continued enjoyment. Thanks a million!

22. Laura Venters says:

I was wondering if I could use cooked apples or apple sauce and how much would I use?

23. Ross Susan says:

I will be making those cookies cause I just love oatmeal, chocolate etc.

24. Laura says:

Oh my goodness! You have hit a homerun with this one! I omitted the choc. chips because my husband does not care for them. But I added lots of cinnamon, coconut shreds, allspice, ginger, chopped pecans and sunflower seeds! The additions are endless! Thank you so much for this recipe! EVERYONE needs to try this!

1. Laura says:

And dried cranberries!!!

25. GHM says:

Just made these. They are delicious. So much tastier than store bought bars. I added protein powder. Thanks Katie for the great recipes.

26. Kim says:

I found when I baked these, they were rather wet in the middle, did I do something wrong? They just didn’t bake up the way that I thought they would. I cut back the water to 1 1/3 cup, as you suggested, used real maple syrup, and when I mixed it, thought they were rather wet, I also used applesauce instead of oil. so backed away a few tablespoons of water again, when I subbed this… Any suggestions?

27. Leah says:

Trying these tonight! Mine seemed to have a lot of liquid but we will see after I bake them:)

28. Brandi says:

I’m not the best baker but really want to try to make these. It’s probably a dumb question but if I freeze some what is the best way to thaw them in the morning?? Nuke them, leave them out the night before? I think these will be best warm. Thanks!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Any of those ways will work :-)

29. Cherrill Echols says:

Thank you Katie, I’m in my 50’s and have high cholesterol and triglycerides. You have changed my world for the better. :)

30. Suzanne says:

I was wondering if the nutritional info takes into account the “optional” choc chips? Thanks!

31. Cindy Neff says:

I made the baked oatmeal cupcakes to go. They are wonderful! I’m going to try them with apples and cranberries. Thank you Katie!

32. Bonnie Brown says:

I noticed that it doesn’t call for flour. This recipe would be great for those with Celiac disease or are gluten intolerant. I’ll be making these for my daughter and granddaughter. Thanks for this great recipe.

33. Kimberly says:

What can you use instead of bananas?

34. Mia says:

hi! I have a question about your oatmeal recipes! When you say “rolled oats”, what variety do you mean? Can I use old fashioned/regular rolled oats, or does it have to be quick oats or instant oats?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Regular rolled oats. Not quick.

35. Erin says:

Hi Katie! After mashing my bananas I ended up halving your recipe, using 2 1/2 cups quick rolled oats, 1 1/4 cups mashed bananas, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tbsp maple syrup, a handful of dark chocolate chips, 1 cup water, roughly 1/8 cup coconut oil, 1 1/2 tsp vanilla, a tbsp cinnamon, pinch cloves, 1 scoop Vega protein powder – it made exactly 12 cupcakes. I ended up baking mine 5 minutes longer and then broiling quickly. They turned out fantastic! Thanks for your chocolate covered creations!

36. Karen says:

I really loved these! Used dried fruit and also added flax seed which I ground into powder.

37. Judy says:

These were good, but I think I should have used brown sugar instead of maple syrup, too gooey for me…..good thing for me hubby will eat anything!

38. Tara says:

Thank you so much for this recipe! I made a half batch for my infant son (who is SUCH a picky eater–especially at breakfast!) and he inhales them every morning! I’m going to make round two this weekend–thinking about white choc chips and raspberries.

39. Robyn Ripley says:

These are GREAT! Easy to make, adapt, and EAT! Healthy alternative for an on-the-go snack or breakfast. I skipped the oil and used applesauce and flax seed. Came out great.

40. laura says:

i made them with quick cooking oats and they turned out just fine! i also added about 1/2 C wheat germ, and only had 2 C mashed bananas. they are good….not too sweet, and an excellend choice for only 88 calories!

1. laura says:

also, when i made them, it made 30 cupcakes…even more of a plus!@

41. kay says:

Does it taste like flapjacks, I don’t really like oatmeal much but LOVE flapjacks! would be nice to have something to take fast as always in a rush in the mornings x

42. Kathy Ziegenmier says:

Just wondering if you could substitute milk or something else for the water to add a little more nutrition?

43. Kathy Ziegenmier says:

One other question: The coconut oil I bought from Trader Joe was in a solid form? Was I supposed to soften it? It was very difficult to incorporate even with a whisk. There were lumps throughout the batter and am concerned about how these will come out. My first time cooking with coconut oil.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Yes definitely soften first.

44. Loryn says:

Could this also be done as a bar? If so, what baking temp and time do you suggest?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

9×13 pan. 21 minutes then turn off heat but leave in the oven 20 minutes more.

45. Breann says:

How do you properly store these for the week ahead? Cover at room temperature?

46. Christina says:

Hi Katie,

I wanted to let you know that I tried it with steel cut oats and it was okay. I think cooking it with the normal oats would be better, as I felt like the steel cut are still chewy (unless they are supposed to be like this?)

thanks for the great recipe!!

47. Mikin says:

Made these exactly as you have them posted and they are YUMMY!!!!! For my second batch I added cinnamon and it was even more YUMMY!! I want to try them with a puree pumpkin and then add all the spices of pumpkin pie and see what happens! Thank you for posting!! I LOVE LOVE that you post nutrition facts!!! Great site!!

48. CaSandra says:

I love the baked oatmeal cupcakes to go. However, I have made them twice & both times i find mold on them after a few days, so i have to toss them. I just made them again & have them in the fridge in hopes that they will not get moldy. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

They need to be stored in the fridge.

49. Christine says:

I love the oatmeal cupcakes! Question-I’m having issues with them becoming soggy after a few days. The first time I made them, I put them in an air tight container while they were still warm and it caused condensation-my bad. The next time, I let them completely cool, but in a few days, they were soggy again and even started to mold :( Any suggestions? Love your website!

50. Mikin says:

I just substituted pumpkin and added all the typical pumpkin pie spices. Everything else I left the same….amazing!!! Like mini pumpkin pies!!! Pumpkin has great anti oxidents too!!

1. Shelby Cohn says:

Did you sub all the banana for pumpkin? That sounds delicious

1. Mikin says:

Yes! And added all the pumpkin pie spices. I really liked them!!

51. Thank you for posting this, these are wonderful! Everyone in the family loves them, and I love knowing my husband and kids are not leaving the house without a healthy breakfast even when things are rushed. I used 2 Tbs of oil and 1 Tbs of applesauce. Next time I might try peanut butter as others have mentioned. I add cinnamon and use dark chocolate chips. These are also great for new moms who usually have to eat hastily and often with only 1 hand at a time :) Thanks again!

52. Yvonne says:

Great idea! love it, thanks for sharing!

53. Trish says:

I am new to cooking/baking so pardon me if this question is silly…could I replace the sugar and vanilla with vanilla protein powder to up the protein content? Or would that change the consistency of the muffin? Thanks!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can always experiment!

54. Sarah Shipley says:

I just made these with steel cut instead of rolled oats, which didn’t hold together as well as I had planned.
    Still delicious! I halved the recipie so that I mt yeilded 12-
    I also added almonds, figs, peanuts, agave, and instead of a ripe banana used applesauce.
    Everything turned out pretty alright, even though it did stick to the cupcake tin pretty tough,
    These cupcakes are hearty and very heavy
    Love and will make again
    Thank you Katie!

55. Julie says:

FOR the additional add-in’s how much woulda you add? A cup, more our less. I just don’t want to make them dry by adding too much. Thanks!

Maybe 1/4 cup?

56. Lisa George DiBartolomeo says:

No extra sweetener needed. There is enough sugar in the ripe bananas to provide just the right amount of sweet flavor.

57. Gail says:

Loved the idea of these but mine came out mushy in the middle – did anybody’s?

1. Just wait a day… all the excess moisture will evaporate :).

1. Gail Wallace says:

Would it help if I put less water in them next time? They smelled so good and were better today.

58. Kai S says:

Hi Katie!

I am always so inspired to bake after I read your blog. I’m so glad that eating healthy does not mean giving up desserts, thanks to your tips. This specific recipe is great for college students like myself, who sometimes have to rush to class. The ingredients are simple and affordable, yet healthy. Substitute options and nutrition facts are helpful additions so people can still enjoy your recipes regardless of their diet choices. Thanks for sharing!

59. Bronagh says:

hi – would steel cut oats work too?

1. Bronagh says:

Actually I now see others have already commented on the subject of using steel cut oats instead.
      thanks for sharing this recipe!

60. Judith says:

Hi Katie, I was wondering if you could explain more about the various kinds of sugar and the use of Stevia. Stevia instructions always seem to be coupled with real sugar in some form, for example. Why is that? This recipe for oatmeal cupcakes sounds very good and I want to try it. Do you think applesauce could be substituted for the banana? Also, I have not seen any of your recipes that suggest using Brown Rice Syrup instead of Agave or Honey. Dr. Mercola’s website for health says that Agave is the same as High Fructose Corn Syrup, and should not be used. I have not seen any comment from his website tho about Honey altho a lot of people are allergic to it because it contains a natural mold. (Ditto peanuts). It seems to be in the processing that these syrups become bad for us, where the natural and organic sugar such as Palm Coconut sugar is not. It seems that the processed sugars are getting us in trouble where the less processing the better as to what we can use for sweetener.
    I also wondered about the VERY LARGE amts. of cocoa that your recipes call for. We are used to using a few Tablespoons and going up to 1 and 1/4 CUP per recipe is just
    over the top! Not to mention how expensive that is! What is your thinking on that
    score? I do appreciate that you answer questions on your Blog. Thank you! Judith

61. dufusgoofus says:

Pictures and recipe look great! Gonna try and bake this in the next day or two. Questions-
    1) What is the end result texture like? Heavy and moist ike a bran muffin or dry and hard like a granola bar?
    2) Will these breakfast yummies stick to the muffin pan if I don’t use liners?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Moist and heavy. Spray the tins and all should be fine without liners.

62. Shelby Cohn says:

How about doing pumpkin puree or coconut yogurt for part of the bananas & oil? I’m not a big fan of bananas !! Thx!

1. Hanna says:

I would try pumpkin or apple sauce, but cut down on the liquid

63. Oh. My. Goodness! (and I do mean GOODness!)…
    These look amazing! A friend told me even her husband (who is a real meat-and-potatoes kinda guy) loves these, so of course my curiosity was piqued! Can’t wait to try ’em myself, and may (ok, I’m really very likely to!) share these on our own site! Always on the prowl for delicious, decadent-but-good-for-you recipes to pass on :-)
    LOVE your site, Katie!

64. Hali says:

Do you think I could make this recipe with steel cut oats?

65. lauren says:

Hi there~
    Love Love Love your website!! I”m a newbie, so forgive if this recipe is redundant.
    I am just becoming familiar with Xylitol and wondered if you could share your
    source. Do you use the corn source or Birch source? They all say if you use more
    than a teaspoon or two the intestinal effects are going to happen. NO problem??? This could be so huge for me! Have been trying for years to get off sugar.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I know Katie has said before that she uses the birch source. It is healthier.

66. This is such a great idea! I love having “oops, there’s no time to prepare” meals in the freezer. These sound easy and great!
    Going to make some tomorrow:)

67. DeeDee says:

Some friends of mine from church have just started a freezer club. It feels so good to have a stockpile of meals to draw from. :) my question is, if you have frozen chicken after you’ve bought it, then you prepare and freeze it again, will it compromise the taste? I haven’t been brave enough to make a freezer chicken meal yet for this reason.

68. Chris Wade says:

I use 1/2 cup honey for sweetener. Used skim milk for the liquid. We crumble a muffin up over cooked apples for evening snack. Yummy healthy apple crisp. 15 month old granddaughter loves them too.

69. Angela says:

I used coconut oil but it solidifies in the mixture. I’m afraid they won’t turn out. Am I doing something wrong?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Make sure other ingredients are not cold so the coconut oil stays warm.

70. Lara says:

I added dried cherries to the recipe. YUM!

71. I love these!! I have made them so many times now, and I even got my mom into them. Thanks for such a great recipe!

72. Amanda says:

Thank you, these look wonderful! I am so happy I found your site!! I have the NuNaturals stevia in the big canister. Do you happen to know how much stevia is in each of the packets so that I would know how much to measure out from the canister? I love this stevia and I use it all the time – I would go through WAY too many packets!! :)

1. Amanda says:

Thank you!!! I really appreciate your response. Making these this afternoon! :)

1. Amanda says:

Update: I’m back to this bookmark – making my 5th batch of these! They are now my favorite way to start the morning. Thanks! :)

73. vicki says:

So good!!!! Thanks for the recipe.

74. Lizzy says:

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! My kids had totally revolted against any form of oatmeal for breakfast and now it is back in their rotation thaaks to this recipe. I added coconut and chopped almonds for almond joy breakfast cupcakes–soooo good! They had their first oatmeal breakfast shakes today and those went over well too. I am so glad to get oatmeal back into breakfast, thanks again!

75. Hanna says:

These have been a lifesaver! I just started a new job and I have to be there very early, and don’t usually get to eat again until 3 or 4, so being able to have these for breakfast keeps me going all the way through.

76. Jessica says:

I made these tonight. They are really good! I would have thought they would be somewhat gummy…I was wrong! I didn’t have any paper liners so I just rubbed some coconut oil on the muffin tins and they cooked perfectly and came right out of the pan. I have made four CCK recipes (black bean brownies, fudge babies, Samosa babies and this baked oatmeal) in a little over 24 hrs and all have been delicious! (And super easy to mAke) I am not vegan and these recipes are still delicious to someone who eats all of the unhealthy treats.

77. Myself and my family just love these cupcakes! (Although I find myself calling them muffins more often than not :)) Thank you for the recipe, they are quick, easy and freeze well. They are great for breakfast on the go but also just a relaxing breakfast with a cup of tea and some berries on the side. They heat up quickly in the microwave and are so yummy warm. I know my kids are getting a healthy start to their day!

78. Holly says:

I made these today and the taste was so good. It didn’t come out as nice as yours but I loved it. I added some coconut flakes and cinnamon as well and I will definitely be making these again. Thanks for sharing!

79. nick says:

If you use coconut oil do you melt it or leave I solid and mix it into pieces

Always melted.

80. Jen says:

I’m on Weight Watchers, and have been dying for some low points dessert that is filling. Loved your recipe, but according to WW recipe calculator, each muffin is 3 points, not 2. I added it up with Grhirardelli 60% dark chocolate chips and without, and both times it came up 3 points.

Oh, and I tried it a 2nd time with adding one scoop of vanilla protein powder…worked just fine!

81. Cindie says:

I made these, froze them, loved them for on the go breakfasts! I’m making them again today.

82. sara says:

Hi! I made these today, adding 4 scoops of Cytosport vanilla whey protein. I also added flaxseed, almond slivers and craisins. I opted for the coconut oil in this recipe. Result? Divine! I will totally try with chocolate chips next time for more decadence!

83. mackenzie says:

These are delicious! Instead of chocolate chips I used raisins and toasted walnuts (and then there’s zero guilt!). I did find that even when cooled overnight they really stick to paper liners, but that’s NBD. Thanks Katie – great recipe!

84. breanna hunt says:

I make this recipe all the time, and love it! I love the simplicity, especially since one container of oatmeal is 5 cups, so there’s minimal measuring. I want to try an apple cinnamon version. Could I just sub applesauce for the mashed banana?

85. Jaanika says:

I’m true fan of these little heavenly cupcakes! Made my own adjustments and every time they taste even better! Thanks so much for this amazing recipe :)

86. Kathy says:

We have made these muffins countless times this winter. They turn out fabulous each time. Thank you for the recipe.

87. Mary McLennan says:

Hello … my niece told me about your website that she said she absolutely loves! I have to eat gluten-free and am sure that most of your baked oatmeal recipes would come out similar if using gluten-free oats?? There’s always a “texture” thing involved with gluten free food so just want to make sure and see if you might agree with me?! I know, of course, not to use any of the cookie ingredients (sad that alot of your recipes use some sort of gluten/cookie ingredient though) .. I look forward to your response!

Good news!
      Gluten free oats CAN be substituted for regular oats in ANY recipe. In reality, all oats are gluten-free. Just some cannot be certified as such because they share factory equipment with wheat and therefore might be contaminated. But all oats are chemically made up of the same structure :-)

88. Jen says:

I have made these several times and my fam loves them. I want to make them tonight but I am out of papers to line my tin. Can I just spray the muffin cups with some Pam? Will they stick? Anyone know?

I don’t see why not!

89. Caitlin says:

So i’ve had a stomach virus, and haven’t had any appetite at all since Saturday (so have barely eaten anything at all) and haven’t felt up to doing anything, until tonight when I got the urge to make these cupcakes! (and i ate one too! even though I’m still not hungry). I made some substitutions…instead of the mashed banana I subbed 1.5 cups of unsweetened applesauce (because I have a HUGE jar of applesauce I needed to use up!) and 1 cup of canned pumpkin (because I love pumpkin!) :). And I threw in some of the suggested add-ins: some cinnamon, shredded coconut, ground flax, and some dried cranberries. and they turned out GREAT! and i can always add some sliced banana to have with one or 2 of them, so it’s the best of all worlds (plus i get more fruit/veggies! :D). thanks for this! now i have a great breakfast/snack to take to work with me for awhile! :)

90. Heidi Bruner says:

Can you sub canned pumpkin for the oil? Or could you use more applesauce?

91. Ruby says:

I just popped these into the oven. I only had like 3 cups of oatmeal, so I halved the whole recipe. They smells so good! I just had a question- how would you recommend I store these if I want to freeze them? I was thinking putting each individual one in a ziploc bag, and then just put them in the freezer???

That’s how I do it!

92. mackenzie says:

I have made these three times now and LOVE them. As previous commenters have noted, REALLY ripe bananas make the difference. I’ve found that adding extra bananas is no problem. I load these up with golden and regular raisins and either toasted walnuts or pecans and they are fabulous. thanks so much for the recipe!

93. Stephanie says:

I just baked these. I added walnuts and cinnamon. As soon as they were cool enough, my boyfriend and I dove into them. They’re fabulous, and I highly recommend!

94. Erin says:

Katie, I stumpled across your blog and have tried a few recipes which I absolutely LOVE!! These recipes fit my baking style perfectly. I am almost incapable of making a “normal” dessert without modifying to make it healthy, but it’s totally a trial and error. Other healthy recipes I’ve tried are extremely complicated and don’t taste that good. Your recipes are so simple and yummy, thank you!

And no, I never skip breakfast.

95. roncolavamo says:

Personality tests and star sign compatibility reports. However, many of these
    sites also cover people who want to learn more and share more.
    What’s important about choosing your nickname is to find a benign term that has
    something to do with you.

96. Hayley says:

I haven’t made these in a while seeing as it is now summer break. But during the school year, I’d make these once a month on Sunday night so i could have chocolate for breakfast all month long and still eat a healthy diet!

97. rachel says:

Hello. I am quite the health nut and am always looking for healthy recipes. How healthy would you consider this and what is the nutrition info? I also was wondering how it tasted. I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t want to make something and not like it because ingredients cost money :( I hope you can help and thank you for any information you can provide!!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

The nutrition info is linked right there in the post.

98. muriel donahue says:

I love your recipes, but unable to print them. Keep them coming, Thanx from a long time Diabetic

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

To print Katie’s recipes, highlight just the recipe itself and right-click “copy.” Then open a new Word document and right-click “Paste.” You can then save the folder and print it easily from that point.

99. I have tried out this recipe and its awesome really! :-)

100. Alexandra says:

These are wonderful. Thank you for this terrific recipe!:)

101. Zarah says:

Just made these but tweaked the recipe a bit, added some regular sugar and skipped the oil and added tonnes of nuts and peanut butter to increase the calories a bit. I’m an athlete so I need a lot of fuel. They’re perfect both as a snack pro-workout as well as a quick breakfast (I have like 4 with some fruits and more nuts) on the go. Thank you for an excellent recipe!

102. Kelly says:

These are great! I made them once with rolled oats and once with quick oats (all i had on hand) and unflavored whey protein powder and they turned out fantastic both times. My extremely picky 3yr old even ate them!! I generally don’t like breakfast and hate hot oatmeal, but these muffins are really good and I make them ahead of time so they are just grab and go. Thanks!!

103. Naynay says:

Do they have to be frozen to eat the next day (or a few days after)? Can they be kept out or in the fridge?

Fridge is fine.

104. Linda Graf says:

Hi Katie I have been following your blog and recipies for a while now. Love many of the oatmeals and cookies for two. Wondering if you have any ideas for a vegan crumb cake? Or crumb cake muffins?

105. Matea says:

Oatmeal is one of my favorite breakfasts! And this makes it a great on-the-go breakfast!

106. regan says:

YUMM! these are so good. our recipe made about 36! We’ve made them twice using various amounts of the ingredients and they’ve turned out great both times.

107. CG says:

Hi Katie,
    Should the coconut oil measurement for solid coconut oil or liquid?

108. meredith peirick says:

These are in the oven. They were so easy to make. Its a great starter breakfast with a nut butter and fruit for my 3 year old. And me too! I just love your blog. Every recipe I make the whole family loves. You are one of the greats! I share your recipes with all of my mom friends. Thank you for all your hard work!! Much love from saint louis, Missouri :)

109. Julie says:

Is 380 degrees correct? Or a typo? (eight above the five = common typo both ways). I read a bunch of comments but I am so sleepy (finally; it’s 4 am and I have not been able to sleep), and I haven’t found someone asking the same question. Massive apologies if this is answered two comments away and I am too groggy to see it!

It’s correct.

110. LavenderLifeUK says:

I made it last night for my kids breakfast today. My kids LOVED IT!! And i just had one, hummm… two – to be honest!, and i am in heaven. Absolutely delicious and easy to add ANYTHING we want to it. Y-O-U A-R-E- A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!! Have a beautifully blessed life!!! I-LOVE-YOU!!!!!

Katie, I cannot thank you enough in this life. Your recipes are PERFECTLY WONDERFUL!!!! My kids and I can enjoy delicious sweet treats without being unhealthy. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

111. Carolyn says:

I have been making these for about a year now and love them with chocolate or cinnamon and raisin. Thanks for a great on-the-go breakfast recipe!

112. Nikki says:

Greetings from Australia :) I made these last night before bed so I had something healthy to put into my other half’s lunch box as a substantial snack. The fact that I got put it together while having a newborn in tow is testament to the ease of this recipe, and it is very tasty to boot. I also shared the recipe with my mothers group as a healthy overnight snack while doing the overnight feeds. Many thanks and keep up the great work

113. Cayanne says:

I was excited to find this, because I am not to excited about making oatmeal cereal, again. I’m not a fan of bananas, and my daughter never liked apple sauce, so I had to investigate a substitute. So, I choose cream cheese. We also used raisins instead of chocolate and honey. Pretty yummy!

114. Sunny says:

Can I use steel cut oats instead? Would I have to change anything? Thanks!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can always experiment! Be sure to report back here if you do!

2. Becky says:

The steel cut oats will need soaking first as they require longer cooking time than regular oats. I soak my steel cut oats overnight in warm water when I want to cook steel cut oats in the morning for breakfast and it cuts cooking time down by 20-30 minutes.

115. Brandi K says:

I just made this, replacing the applesauce with pureed pumpkin and adding pumpkin pie spice. So good! My 5 year old isn’t usually a fan of pumpkin, but he loves these. Thank you so much for this recipe :)

116. Stef says:

Brava! Thank you Katie! Perfect for my busy mornings! Can’t wait to share these!

117. Judith says:

I added an egg because I thought that it needed it, and boy were they delicious! Then I added some chopped walnuts,cranberries and coconut. Once they cooked I filled and frosted them with apple pie flavored greek yogurt (sugar free kind). I already ate two. They’re just so good! Not too sweet or too sugary on my tongue, so these will go perfect tomorrow for breakfast. Couple of muffins, cup of coffee and I’m in business ! Thank you <3

118. Jennifer says:

I am attempting to make these tonight and as I measure my oats (by the scale) I find that 1 cup of oats weighs just over 100g, so is it 5 cups oats (almost 600g) or 400g? I’m going to hold off making these as that’s almost 50% more oats in 5 cups than 400g.

119. Jennifer says:

So I went ahead and made these despite my questions and realized these weren’t really muffins so much as “Baked Oatmeal To-Go” and they turned out awesome. First, i used 5 cups oatmeal measured by the cup, probably a little less water as I forgot to add the extra 1/3 cup in the 2 1/3 cup water, and a little applesauce because 4 bananas didn’t quite make 2 1/2 cups mashed. I hate to admit how much “batter” I ate raw, which then inspired my breakfast for the morning (the ‘cupcakes’ are for the kids, even the banana-hater who ate a finished muffin and liked it). Thanks for all the terrific recipes, esp. the Black Bean Brownies (made with PB, no oil) which my three boys (13, 11, and 8) and uber-picky daughter (14), insist are the best on the planet and must be made whenever treats are needed for school.

120. Beth says:

These sound great but I like to have a little more protein, has anyone tried adding protein powder?

1. I’ve not tried, but I think some of the commenters have done it successfully :)

121. Becky says:

Old fashion oats or instant? Wonder if steel cut would work, I love, love, the texture of steel cut oats!

1. Ashley A says:

I used old fashioned and that worked out great.

2. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Rolled oats are old fashioned, not instant. Although perhaps both would work. You can always experiment!

122. Stacey says:

We LOVE these! I always keep them on hand in the freezer for an easy go-to breakfast and my 1 year old can’t get enough of them! I use cinnamon, raisins, and chia seeds in ours. Making a new batch today to refill the empty freezer bag. Thanks for a great recipe!

123. Ashley A says:

I love this simple recipe! It’s really delicious and nice to make on Monday and enjoy throughout the week with coffee in the morning. I have crisped them each morning in the oven. When I made mine I substituted pie pumpkin I had baked in for the bananas. They turned out great! Thanks Katie. Keep em coming!

124. Cassandra says:

Hey Katie, How do you think this would come out using Bobs Red Mill GF oats?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Same as using regular rolled oats. They are the same product, just made in a gluten-free facility. So they can always be used in any recipe calling for rolled oats.

125. Beth Stenger says:

i made these and they were really good and everyone liked them but they were lumpy. For those that bake, do I need to add more water?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Mine have never come out lumpy, but yes, that sounds like it could possibly work. You can always experiment!

126. jacko says:

Thanks for this recipe! To avoid using are sweetener, but to still get some sweetness, would it work to soak and blend dates (as in your no sugar banana bread recipe)?

1. jacko says:

*added sweetener

127. MVP says:

I made a pumpkin spice version with canned pumpkin puree (instead of banana) and pumpkin pie spice. They were sooooo good! I did add more sweetener. Any ideas of how to make a gingerbread version?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Incorporate molasses and ginger somehow? Sounds like a fun experiment!

128. Kat says:

are the nutrition facts including the chocolate chips?

129. Beth says:

These are wonderful and I am not a baker. I am on my fourth batch and they keep getting better. Want to try to add PB peanut butter, has anyone tried this?

130. mary lee says:

What would happen if you used unsweetened almond milk for the water in the Breakfast Oatmeal Cupcakes to go. When I cook oatmeal I always use dairy, almond or soy milk and never water so am just wondering.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I’m sure it would be fine. Be sure to report back if you do try!

131. kendra says:

Okay so I made these today and I’m trying to figure out if they should have cooked longer. Are they supposed to be dry throughout or still moist?

Still moist! :-)

132. Dawn says:

Just found this recipe on pinterest yesterday and I made them last night. Took 2 to work with me and Oh My! These are soo good. I used agave nectar for the sweetener (decreased the water like you said) and a mix of banana and applesauce …because I ran out of banana :( But thanks to your substitutions page the applesauce saved the day. I made 6 with cinnamon and raisins, 6 with coconut and white choc chips, and 12 with choc chips. This working mom on the run thanks you for sharing this recipe!!

133. Carole says:

I substituted 3 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce + 1Tablespoon oil and they turned out fantastic! I also did some in small tins just sprayed with non-stick spray and they come out in bite-sized pieces, very nice.

134. Genafer says:

How well would these work in a jumbo muffin pan?

135. Katya says:

Thank you Katie! I just made these muffins with milk and dark chocolate chips and some walnuts, and they are AMAZING! I ate about 3 already. They’re delicious, nutritious, and really healthy, too. I’ll totally be eating these before school when I’m late – which is almost always.

136. Virginia Hughes says:

We love oatmeal for Breakfast this will be another way to fix oatmeal for Breakfast. Thank you for another way to have.

137. Kathy says:

I love this idea of oatmeal on the go. Mt question is, does the muffin peal away from the paper without being sticky?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

If you wait one day, they will peel off very easily. Or just don’t bake in liners.

138. connie says:

They look lovely! Do you store them in the fridge or on the counter? In a container or plastic bag? Don’t want them to get soggy!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Fridge in a container is best. Or freeze and then reheat.

139. Yuri says:

Katy, This is so good !! I just made half of amount muffins (12 cup cakes). I was using with Apple sauce (1 bottle (680g) and 1/3 cup of water instead banana. And also, 3 Tb Coconut in dry ingredients. Everything came perfect texture on my mouth !!
    Next time I ‘m using with mashed bananas .

140. Leslee says:

yummy. I added chia and flax and used pure maple syrup however mine didn’t pour out, but rather spooned into the tins like a big cookie. Not sure what I missed but still taste good

141. Laura DeGoursey says:

I added 1/2 cup of hemp seeds to these muffins. I will try 1 cup next time. Good for protein and healthy fats. I also subbed banana for the oil. I also put in 1 cup of raisins. Very good! Great versatile recipe!

142. Liz Clements says:

Ive always been to busy to eat breakfast these are just righ for me and others Many thanks xx

143. elissa says:

Katie!!! I have been meaning to comment on these for awhile now. I make these about 2 times a month for my boyfriend to take to work for breakfast. He works long days so I like to help him out and get his breakfast ready ahead of time. These are perfect! They are super portable and he says 2 keeps him full till lunch time too. I usually end up freezing half to make sure they stay fresh. And then I just let them thaw on the counter the night before. Sometimes I will even have these as a dessert because the choc chips make them delectable. I also love knowing we’re not eating a bunch of sugar. Thank you so much for this blog. As a sugar addict, your recipes have helped me for sure!

144. Aliece Dice says:

These look fabulous. When you say ‘cook once and you could have breakfast for an entire month’…does this recipe make 28-30 muffins/cakes? (I’m about to make these and was wanting to know in advance how many this recipe makes). Also, at 88 calories per muffin, I’m assuming that does not include any of the add-ins :)

145. Sarahi says:

Look mmmmm! Can be frozen,

146. Jeanmarie says:

I made a dozen of these by cutting the recipe in half. I used 1 mashed banana and a small cup of unsweetened applesauce. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. I mixed the wet ingredients right in the blender and my mix seemed too wet so I added chocolate protein powder, I use a vegan version by Orgain so 1 serving is 2 scoops. Also I didn’t add my chocolate chips to the mix but instead put them on top. Absolutely delicious! Thank you for an amazing recipe!

147. Sofia says:

Hi Katie,

I was just wondering whether you had tried putting apple in this, maybe instead of banana. I was thinking of of adding half banana half apple to keep a similar consistency but with a slightly different taste. Do you have any suggestions to make such a substitution?

148. Irene Smith says:

Made these for work. .loved by all! My family asked for more. Round 2 just came out of the oven! Yummo!

149. Ashley says:

Hi Katie,

These are absolutely delicious! I Can’t wait to try out different ingredients. I have two questions though- I’m getting conflicting calorie information on these. Some places say 88 calories each, others say something g different. I’m using the my fitness pal app to track my days as I hurdle toward my goal of losing these last 10 pounds, so I want to be as accurate as possible.

Also, do you refrigerate these, or leave out like “traditional” muffins?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to trying many more recipes!!

1. Megan says:

Ashley- I refrigerate my muffins, and pop them in the microwave for 30-45 seconds when I want them warm. I agree- so delicious!

150. Megan says:

The Breakfast Oatmeal Cupcakes are so very good! I make them every Sunday and my fiancée and I eat 2 cupcakes each every morning. I follow the recipe exactly and also add cinnamon. They are great after a workout topped with natural peanut butter. Thanks Katie!

151. Marilyn Mayne says:

Could unsweetened almond milk be substituted for the water? I love this idea for on the go in the car etc. For home I love to make the baked oatmeal casseroles. I have made up several of my own lately. But the chocolate oatmeal looks really good. I wonder if I could put the cocoa and anything else I wanted right into the casserole and baked it all at once. I love the baked oatmeal for home because after it cools, I cut it into servings, freeze it and just grab one for work.

152. Jennifer says:

If you happen to have a little one at home or maybe even if you don’t, I found that a great substitute for the mashed banana was a few jars of Chiquita Banana baby food. I did this the first time because I had forgotten the banana when shopping. This time I added a few jars of banana and one of the pear baby food. I found this to be so quick and easy as well as a convenient way to count the calories added. I think this could probably be done with any baby fruit food:)

153. judy ponto says:

what is the best way to freeze your oatmeal cupcakes? can i freeze them seperately?

154. Kaci says:

Has anyone tried putting peanut butter in the recipe?

155. Hélène says:

I would suggest adding eggs and cutting some liquid maybe. I make oatmeal for my kids almost daily and used to break up a hardboiled egg into the bowl to give them some protein that I didnt have to cook every morning (and then wash the pan!). Then one day I though, hey, let’s try adding eggs to the almost cooked oats! I add 3 eggs to my recipe with 1c oats, 2c water. We put milk on it and drink the rest of the cup of milk with it too. Gotta have the protein and fat with the carbs :)
    It makes it custard-y. And no, we dont sweeten our oatmeal; it’s a savory dish. Actually eat dulse flakes on it and I used to mix in pureed greens and pureed orange or yellow veggies too in the kids bowls.
    I have tried it with maple syrup or stevia drops in it tho and its good still with the eggs in it.

156. Hélène says:

Also for a tropical twist, try using crushed pineapple, drained, for the bananas and canned coconut milk for the water and def use coconut oil. Also use rum extract for half the vanilla to bring it up a notch. Stir in unsweetened coconut chips/flakes for the choc chips.
    Voíla–piña colada oatmeal cupcakes

157. Hélène says:

I may work on a recipe to make these with steelcut oats. We now eat the steelcut 90% of the time. I make it up in big batches so I only cook it once a week. But it has to be reheated in the nuker with milk and then you’ve got dirty bowls (and bowls stacked up in the fridge as I make 8svgs at once). This would be truly a timesaver even more!

158. Tammy says:

Absolutely love these muffins, I added protein powder, 1 cup, I mix it up each time, chocolate, vanilla or use both and decreased 1/2 cup of oats, 2 are very satifying for breakfast. I freeze them, half at work & half at home. So easy

159. Rawan says:

My kids would love this! Can i substitute milk for water?

160. Carol O'Connor says:

Teach the kids to make these.. take turns adding extras.. let them come up
    with ideas….. I was baking at age 8, the oldest of 6 kids.
    We should teach grade school kids to cook.
    One family, made the kids fix 1 dinner, and do dishes..a week.
    thought that was a great idea. Happy meals.

161. Lisa says:

I use coconut oil, craisans, choc chips, flax seed and vanilla protein powder in mine. I adjusted the sweetener (honey) some because the vanilla protein powder is sweet to us (we don’t eat a lot of sugar anymore). It gives us extra protein to help jump start our mornings. The adults love them this way. The kids are only so so about the protein powder. They love them when I leave out the protein powder.

162. Trisha says:

I have been making these faithfully for the last 3 months. I use a large 6 muffin tin so they are a little bigger and filling. This is my variation as I tried to make it as low calorie as possible. I did not think my husband would even sniff them, but sure enough, I started to find them missing and saw him walking out with them every AM. Now I have to make them like 3 times a week! Luckily, it takes me 10 minutes, and sometimes I whip up a batch in the AM and get ready while they cook if I forgot to make them;
    (I also use a scale so my calorie calculations are pretty accurate and measured)

Quaker Oatmeal, 2 Cups – at 140 cal per half cup : 560 cal
    Banana, 200 grams (about 1.5 medium banana) = 178 cal
    dried cranberries, 1/3 cup – 140 cal
    Vanilla extract, teaspoon +/- a couple drops – ~15 cal
    Stevia, about 6 drops
    Cinnamon – Generous shake
    In total the recipe is ~893 cals. This makes a little of 6 muffin tins. I use the extra and form it into a bar thats roughly half the amount of dough in the muffins.

So all in all:
    893/6.5 = ~137/ muffin

This morning I used unsweetened applesauce, approximately 100 cals worth (I used the prepacked cups). That lowered the content to 122/muffin.

You can also get rid or go a little more lightly with the cranberries. I find that 1/3 cup is actually a lot so I scale back.

Some days I will add flax seeds for an extra texture and when I don’t I actually miss that texture.

Hope this helps! Can’t wait to add protein powder!

163. Janet S says:

I made these today. Super easy and SUPER good!!!!! Wow!

164. Shawn says:

Agave nectar, brown sugar, honey, white sugar, maple syrup — remember these are all simple sugars and your cells treat them all the same. I wonder from where the (erroneous) idea that some are more healthful than others came…
    If you don’t want the glycemic load, use the Stevia.

165. Kiersten says:

I tried these but they came out awful! I’m not sure if it’s because I used sugar instead of stevia or what but they didn’t flatten out at all. Hope everyone else who makes this, makes it better than I did!

166. Kaye says:

I made the oatmeal breakfast cupcakes yesterday and I must say that, “I love them”. I can now replace my store bought granolas bars with something healthy and yummy. These are equivalent to a small bowl of oatmeal to go. Can’t wait to try more of your recipes. Katie you rock!!!

167. Kaye says:

addendum ……

Oh, I forgot to share that I used steel cut oats because that is what I had on hand and I really liked the debt it added to the mix. These muffins are really moist and the steel cut oats didn’t change that.

168. Patsy says:

In your breakfast oatmeal cupcakes to go recipe, you have 5 stevia packets. I use splenda which I dont have in packet form. So my questions is……how much splenda should I use?

169. Siara says:

I love these! I am the same about breakfast. If I go without it I will be hungry for the whole day!! I made them with Cinnamon, chocolate chips, golden raisins, and coconut. I used the stevia packets too. I ended up baking them for 28 minutes because when I first took them out they wern’t so toasty. I also cut the recipe in half and that ended up making 16 muffins. So excited to eat these (right now they are cooling), but they look so toasty and warm!!!

170. Gina Furth says:

So,so good! Thank you!!!

171. adlin says:

I tried these this weekend and like them! I add a little coconut and a few walnuts. They’ll make a great addition to breakfast and for an afternoon snack. I did post a review and picture on my blog as well,

172. beth says:

How much Stevia would you use if measuring from a box instead of packets?

173. Rita says:

I have been making these for almost a year and they have become a staple for breakfast. It’s almost a no fail recipe. Love the texture and taste and it helps knowing I’m eating something healthy for breakfast.

174. Jessica says:

LOVE THESE! Have you tried to freeze these? Thinking of playing around with it to add in some protein powder! Haven’t been able to eat them all yet and worried they might go bad before the week is over. If not, I will just share at work! Thanks for the recipe!

175. Faiza says:

It looks yummy ,, thnx for this beautiful recipe

176. Kara Burns says:

I baked these 10 minutes longer than the recipe says, but they are still doughy inside. Any suggestions?

1. IslandGirl says:

I think they are meant to be that way. Mine were like that and tasted fantastic. I think of them more like a homemade fresh granola bar than like a traditional “bready” muffin. What you’re really doing is cooking the oats in little cups, rather than a pot.

177. zoe nath says:

Dear Katie
    Love your recipes – my 5 yr old daughter wants an opportunity to cook and meet with you in the future – are you making any appearances in Vancouver, BC, Calgary, AB or Edmonton AB in the near future? would be a treat to meet you!
    Zoe and Paxton

1. Aw hi Zoe and Paxton :)
      Your sweet comment completely made my morning. I would love to visit! I don’t have any plans in the near future but definitely will update on the blog if I do ever get to go!

178. Kylie says:

Hi Katie!

Do you know if you can add frozen fruit like blueberries instead of the chocolate chips? Would that make the recipe too moist? Didn’t know if anyone had tried it with fresh or frozen fruit yet.

179. CarpeDiem says:

This is one of the best cupcake recipe i’ve seen so far.

180. Emma says:

These tasted really good! But mine came out more brown-ish like than yours. Is there a reason to that?

181. Steph says:

Do you think that the flourless banana bread could be made using pureed pumpkin instead of banana?

182. Amy says:

Where is the nutrition link for substitutions? What else can I use other than bananas?

1. IslandGirl says:

I used half pureed raw apple and half banana, to make a total of 2.5 cups. Tasted fantastic.

183. Clem says:

Hi Katie, can I sub the oatmeal cupcakes with oat bran as I’ve just realised I won’t have enough oats? Or go half & half? Any suggestions I can sub with? Like wheetbix perhaps? I have made these peviously & my kids loved them for breakfast or as a snack. Was hoping to surprise them after school today with these oatmeal cupcakes favourites. Look forward to your reply. Thx, Clem.

184. IslandGirl says:

Mornings have changed forever in our house! No more arguments about not wanting to eat breakfast, or trying to divine what my daughter will or will not eat on any given day! Thank you for publishing such a well-tested recipe. She loves making them with me, and we add things like chia seeds, hemp hearts, ground flax seed, coconut shreds, and sliced almonds. One baking session and 3 weeks of breakfasts were covered. I used steel-cut quick cooking oats from Bob’s, and I just tried it with two cups of quinoa and 3 of those steel cuts, which come out crunchier and sweeter. (Left the extra water in, plus used honey.) Now all she has to rant about in the morning is her hair!

185. Christiane says:

I had to come out of my lurking just to let you know that this recipe is amazing!

I’m added-fructose-free (think David Gillespie and I Quit Sugar) so I’ve already used/adapted a lot of your recipes with good and sometimes excellent results, but these simple oatmeal cupcakes will have the hitherto most significant impact on my health by ensuring that I eat a healthy breakfast every morning!

I made a batch on Sunday, put some in the fridge for the week and froze the rest – now I take two with me in the morning and eat them at my desk with a cup of tea. They’re delicious, healthy, filling enough to take me all the way to lunch, and yet easy enough to make that they won’t forever linger on my “I should really do this but urgh the effort” list.

186. Adrienne says:

Pro-tip: To up the amount of protein on these (and to make them generally chocolatey-peanut-butter delicious), add 1 c. peanut butter to the batter prior to baking. It’ll add about 65 calories/3 g protein to each muffin…. and it’s really delicious.

187. Pigmom says:

I’m not big on breakfast unless it’s the middle of the night and I haven’t slept yet. However, w/ age and health issues I am trying to do better.
    I do cook quite a bit but the day I made the oatmeal cupcakes I was using the recipe off my phone. Rather then log back in I guessed a few measurements. I got a few wrong. I did add coconut and macadamia nuts. They stuck a bit to the paper but other then that they turned out great. So I tried again. This time no nuts and no paper liners. I froze 2-3 to a zip lock style baggie and pulled them out as needed. Hubby agreed that w/o liners is better. The problem is while we r not skipping breakfast we r also eating them through out the day and even midnite munchies. I think we r addicted. Anyway u would have to be way off to mess up this recipe. Once u no the texture or right amount of liquid u r only limited by ur imagination. yummy, starting my 3rd batch

188. Pigmom says:

I forgot, the 1st time I didn’t add any sugar of any kind. I did add a bit of toasted bran w/ cinnimon and a small amount of coconut sugar to the tops of half. The bran didn’t stay on as well as I wanted. The 2nd try I added 1 tbsp of coconut sugar. These really are sweel enough to reduce or even omit the sugar as long as u add the choc chips which have their own. I used 60% coco chips

189. Anisah says:

I tried the recipe last night, with quick oats and without chocolate chips(can’t eat dairy and haven’t found dairy free chips) and it was sooo good. Husband really liked them fresh out of the oven and I didn’t have a problem with them sticking to the liners. I’m glad of the new layout of your site, because I had saved this recipe in a tab a looooong time ago but forgot about it and didn’t make it. Then I saw it on the front page and I realised I should just make it while I have so many bananas close to going bad and I’m so glad I did. Thank you for the recipe.

190. SuzieqinIN says:

It says if you don’t like bananas look below for alternate fruit. But, I couldn’t find it. Could I use applesauce instead of bananas?

191. Marjorie R. Seldon says:

If I want to substitute chopped walnuts for mini chocolate chips, what quantity of chopped walnuts should I use? Should the walnuts be toasted? “Optional add-ins” is vague. I assume some quantities would be too much and some too little while some would depend on the number of mini chocolate chips used.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can do toasted or not, and I would start with 1/4 cup.

192. Cindy Sekelick says:

I’m not seeing any nutritional values on the recipes. I am trying to lose weight and have no idea how to calculate these delicious looking recipes.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I’m definitely confused. The nutrition facts are linked in every post right under the recipe. It will be a blue link. Let me know if you don’t see it! :-)

193. Kay says:

For those who are hungry when you first wake up but don’t want to eat right then, here is a trick a nutritionist told me: drink (what she calls) “H2Orange”. It’s 7/8 water and 1/8 orange juice (low acid preferably). This will balance your blood sugar (or something like that) and will take away those hunger pains until you can eat breakfast. The nutritionist says that what we think is hunger first thing in the morning has more to do with thirst. Anyway, this works for me so maybe it will help some other early risers like myself!

194. Kate says:

These are AMAZING! I’ve now made three batches of these in the last month or so, making fresh ones as soon as we run out. My boyfriend refers to them as the “cookies.”

I followed the tip to let them cool down and then store them in the freezer. Thirty seconds in the microwave, and it tastes like a light banana bread muffin fresh out of the oven.

One tip: I’ve learned is to go just a little easy on the oatmeal; that way, it’s as moist and soft as possible.