Welcome to the new Chocolate-Covered Katie!

image

What do you think of the new website?

(If you’re reading this post through email, click here to see the new site.)

Going into the process, I knew I wanted something bright and cheery – but also whimsical yet modern, and youthful yet grown-up. (Contradictions galore.) It’s taken many months of hard work to get here, and I am so excited with how the design finally turned out! Perhaps one of my favorite parts of the new design is how organized it is:

image

For example, the new recipe page is incredible!

A picture of every recipe! Plus there’s a fancy slideshow on the homepage, and the sidebars are much less jumbled now. If you think I managed these feats by myself… you are giving me way too much credit. Allow me to introduce…

food blog web design

Julie Farber from Deluxe Designs.

Julie is amazing; I wish I knew half of what she knows about web design. Julie can design your entire site for you if you don’t want to worry about a thing. In my case, however, I preferred to be very involved, and she was ok with that, too! I drew up elaborate screen shots in Photoshop of exactly what I wanted—right down to the color scheme and layout—and Julie took it all from screen shot to real-time website without crashing anything, which I would certainly have done if I’d attempted it without help. She was patient and non-judgmental, while still offering sage web designer advice. (You can thank her for the fact that there are no giant polka dots on the top of the page: one of my not-so-bright ideas she talked me out of!)

And those beautifully-organized new photo pages I mentioned earlier? All Julie’s work. I can’t tell you how many things I asked for, while being almost positive she’d come back and tell me such things weren’t possible. Yet every time, she instead responded—quite quickly—she’d made the changes. In short, if you need design work for your food blog (or photography blog, company website, etc.), Julie is your girl! EDIT: Julie will give a 15%-off discount to anyone who mentions CCK in his/her inquiry.

Still to come:

1. The heart logo: The header that you see now is an interim thing, so don’t worry if you’re not big on the heart; it’s not staying! I am not big on it either. I’m a perfectionist and haven’t been able to come up with the perfect logo yet, so I quickly designed this shutterstock-esque heart logo to stand in. The rest of the new design was ready, and I just didn’t want to wait any longer!

2. We’ll probably be making more minor adjustments in the next few days, so give the site a little time to adjust. And Julie is working on perfecting the mobile version of the website as well.

1. I love it! Very clean and easy to read. Congrats on the new changes!

2. Allison says:

I LOVE it. Absolutely love it. Congratulations :)

3. Tiffany says:

Hi Katie,

I love the new site! Everything looks great, your dedication and hard work really shows. :)

4. Mandie says:

I love it, Katie! Julie has done a marvelous job so far 😉

It is very clean and more organized, and easier to navigate. I love the fonts you have chosen too.

It took a little longer than usual for the website to load yesterday, but today it was fine.

Great job!

5. Michelle says:

Looks great! I love it!

6. Very nice! It’s very clean looking yet still has some bright color to it. I love it!

7. Oh my goodness, Katie! Stunning, love it :-)

8. Ann says:

I love it, it looks clean and easy to read and look forward to your updating, thanks Katie for all your wonderful ideas.

9. paulina grunk says:

cute!

10. It looks great! I love all the color and it’s still clear and easy to find what you’re looking for!

11. I love it! I love your header!! It looks so nice!! :)

12. Victoria says:

I love it, Katie! It looks beautiful and it doesn’t have any bugs 😀

13. Dawn Laughlin says:

I really like it, its clean and easy to navigate & read but still fun! Great job!

14. It looks wonderful! Congratulations.

15. Nicole says:

I really like it! At first, I had trouble looking at the website from my phone, but the kinks seem to have been worked out because it looks great now!

16. Alexandra says:

I love everything about it! And I love that picture of you, you are adorable!

17. Jess says:

It looks beautiful!

18. Stephanie says:

I really like it! So fresh! But I would really like it more if you were holding a mug that says “cocoa” or “hot chocolate” in your welcome photo. More applicable to the overall theme. Yes?

19. Erin K says:

I love it! It looks so much better! Much more professional.

One comment. I wanted to comment and tell you and I had to hunt quite a bit, and then go into the individual post, and even then had to scroll to the bottom to figure out how to post a comment. Maybe a link on the home page with each post?

1. Georgia says:

Same here…I thought at first that I wouldn’t be able to comment, but then realized that I had to click on the post itself, then scroll down to comment. But other than that, I love the new design! And the melted, dripping chocolate look on “Katie” in the header? Makes me want to get something really chocolate-y…and fast.

1. Julie says:

You should not be able to comment from the homepage. Katie’s requested we have a link at the bottom of the post, but you should not have to click on the individual post in order to comment anymore. Thanks for your feedback!

1. Julie says:

Oops! I mean you *should* be able to now!

1. Harsha says:

Sorry but I still don’t see it. Like others even I had a bit of trouble figuring out how to comment so being able to comment from the home page would be nice. I don’t see a “comment” option from the home page, maybe I am missing something obvious.

2. De says:

I had the same problem when I came to comment that the header has disappeared. Also, the header has disappeared, it’s just a blank grey space up there, but the header link to the homepage still works. FYI. (Chrome on Ubuntu)

2. Amber @ Slim Pickin's Kitchen says:

I had the same exact problem yesterday! Glad to know it wasn’t just me :)

20. Alanna says:

LOVE IT — great job, Katie and Julie!