Peanut Butter Biscuits

peanut butter biscuits

Has the weather gotten cold yet where you are?

These soft and fluffy peanut butter biscuits are the perfect comfort food for any cold October morning. Dip them in hot maple syrup, spread on some melted coconut butter, or sandwich the biscuits with raspberry jelly and even more peanut butter… They also make a terrific portable snack and are great to throw into childrens’ lunch boxes.

PB Biscuits Vegan Biscuits

Then again, no one says you can’t enjoy these healthy biscuits in warm weather like I’ve been doing here in Texas. Just because it’s still 90 degrees doesn’t make them any less delicious. Peanut butter is timeless. And apparently seasonless.

Peanut Butter & Jelly Biscuits

Peanut Butter Biscuits

• 1 tbsp white vinegar or apple cider vinegar (15g)
  • 2/3 cup milk of choice (160g)
  • 3 tbsp oil (30g)
  • 1 3/4 cup spelt flour (245g)
  • 1/2 cup roasted peanuts (with salt)
  • 1/2 cup raisins (70g) or 1/2 cup sugar of choice
  • Only if using raisins, add a pinch of stevia or 2 tbsp sugar for sweeter biscuits
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk together the vinegar, milk, and oil in a little bowl. Let sit for at least 5 minutes. Pulse peanuts in the food processor (or a Vita-Mix), then add other dry ingredients and pulse until smooth. Transfer the dry ingredients to a big bowl and add milk mixture. Mix just until it comes together. Transfer dough to a floured surface or tray, and knead a few times until it’s not sticky. (Sprinkle with more flour if needed.) Press dough into a rectangle 1/2-inch thick, and cut into squares or rounds. You can bake them on the same tray. Bake 9-14 minutes (9 for smaller biscuits). Makes 18 small biscuits, the size of the ones in the photos, or 12 much-larger biscuits. These biscuits taste like something between a biscuit and a scone, and they’re good topped with a little coconut butter or vegan butter (and maybe some agave or molasses), or perhaps even pumpkin butter. Or jam and more peanut butter!

View Nutrition Facts

PB Biscuits

Question of the Day:

Does it feel like Fall yet where you are?

We are having an incredibly warm Fall so far, even by Texas standards. Although I like warm weather, I can’t say I’m not looking forward to putting away the flip flops and jean shorts in favor of scarves, hats, and sweaters.

Link of the Day: Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt

Tags: , , , ,

1. Lauren says:

Well this looks delicious. But man I just found out that peanuts and us store bought almounds are really not good for you(along w gluten and sugar). Inflammatory or something:(
    Could this be done with other nuts??

I just left the east coast for California so it went like from almost super fall to not much at all :p

1. Holly says:

From what source did you hear that gluten is bad for you? It only needs to be avoided if you suffer from a gluten intolerance.

2. Natalie says:

Definitely agree with Lisa! Nuts and gluten, even sugar in moderation, are definitely not bad for you unless you have an allergy or intolerance. Yes they’re inflammatory in large doses, but as long as you’re eating a healthy, well-rounded diet it shouldn’t be a problem!

1. Lauren says:

It Starts With Food or similar paleo/health books have great info on what gluten grains and stuff does to people. Intolerances are kinda like when someone has other issues going on and brings the irritations to the surface.
        Also heard the whole gluten peanutalmound sugar thing from IMT people (idkwhattocallthemor howdescribethem)
        Really sorry long annoying comment
        But does anyone kno macadamia would sub well? (How taste?) Or just use cashew?

2. Lisa says:

These are such a good idea. Anything nut butter flavoured is fine by me.
    I wonder if almonds would be okay to use, since I’m not a hugeee peanut butter fan.
    And it most definitely feels like Fall where I live! I’m quite excited for it.

1. Sherry says:

Almonds worked for me (I didn’t have peanuts on hand), however, I couldn’t get the dough unsticky. I was going to throw it all away since it was a terrible sticky mess, then decided to try to bake them to see how they would turn out. I somehow got a few blobs on the baking sheet (lined w/parchment paper) and these turned out to be my son’s favorite snack!! (Also, I used a combination of whole wheat and all purpose flour, because that was in my pantry, and I used part coconut palm sugar and part birch xylitol — again the things I had in pantry) I can’t wait to try with roasted peanuts — I think it would add that much more flavor.

3. Rachel says:

Omg. These looks amazing. I think they just went on my weekend baking list, if I can find spelt flour at Target today.

Question – did you experiment with unsalted peanuts? That’s all I have, and I will probably try it with them and maybe add a little extra salt.

1. Rachel says:

I forgot to mention that I live in the same area as you do (on the Ft Worth side) and I am SO SICK of 90 degree weather! I’m ready for boots and scarves!

1. I’m sure you could if you added extra salt, but I haven’t tried it.

4. 1. These look delicious. 2. DC has been having the most mild fall, I’m usually a summer girl but I can’t wait to slip on some boots and wear my cute fall jackets!

5. Vicki @ WITK says:

I love peanut butter everything, these look so good for breakfast! Fall has been pretty mild here in NJ too. Love it!

6. Caitlin says:

Yum! And low carb! Well…I’m assuming that “sugar of choice” includes xylitol, so…low carb! These would be good stuffed with Fakin’ Bacon 😀
    Here in Oregon (Portland-metro area), it’s raining and raining and raining after an unusually dry summer. Where I live, it’s really really foggy this morning (we’re surrounded on three sides by rivers) and the leaves are changing colors and there is debris from trees strewn all over the road and the lawn, because we’ve also been having high winds. It’s absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I really don’t like warm weather, Autumn is my favorite season, and the next few months hold a lot of excitement and things to look forward to. Like making peanut butter biscuits 😉

7. Sci says:

hey 🙂 i love avocados and i love chocolate, that´s why i´ve been experimenting a bit and came up with: CHOCADO! give it a try, it´s soo simple and sooo delicious! :)http://thescienceofeverything.wordpress.com/2013/09/30/chocado-dairy-free-pudding/

1. Megan says:

I make something similar, but use maple syrup as the sweetener and soy/almond/skim milk as a thinning agent. Delish.

8. Melissa says:

Yummy! These look great! In other words, last week, it WAS starting to feel like Fall around here, however, now it feels as though it’s reverted back to summer! I love warm weather, but could do without the humidity.

9. You know, I live in Chicago and it STILL doesn’t feel like fall here! It’s 80 degrees today! We had a week of cooler weather but then it heated back up. Right now I want it to be fall, but at the same time I know it won’t warm up again until May so I should enjoy this!

10. A says:

Are the totals in your nutrition information link for a 12 or 18 biscuit batch?

1. Holly says:

I’m assuming 18.

11. Kate says:

Looks amazing! Actually, you had me at peanut butter

12. Emily says:

yum!! these look good for breakfast. I’m going to have to get some peanuts soon!!
    the weather here in chicago is weird. today it was 80, humid, and super cloudy. last week it was 60s, sunny, and beautiful. hmm. i bet next week it’ll be mid-forties. 😛

13. Kristin says:

We have a gluten allergy in our house, have you used any other flours? I have a gf flour baking mix, do you think this would work?

1. Heather says:

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe someone else who gives it a try (or has more experience with swapping flours than I do) can let us know? 🙂 I have tried gluten/dairy/egg free peanut butter bread/muffin recipes, but they crumbled terribly.

14. Denise says:

Love this idea! Can you use PB2 in place of the full fat peanuts? Thanks, Denise

15. Megan says:

I am definitely making these. I’m a sucker for a good biscuit. Especially if the words “peanut butter” are involved. As for jumping in on the weather talk, Southern Ontario, Canada has been mid-twenties (don’t know what that is in F) for the last couple weeks. Autumn, my arse… At least the leaves are changing 🙂

16. Beth John says:

I do not have any peanuts but I do have natual peanut butter (the kind that is just peanuts and salt). How much of that can I use in place of the 1/2 cup peanuts?

1. Sorry, I’ve not tried so you will have to experiment :).

2. Alli says:

Based on some research in peanut butter recipes, I’d try just a little under a half cup peanut butter. But I haven’t tried in the recipe yet (soon!)

17. Michelle says:

These are such a great idea. You are so clever at baking!! Question – do you blend up the raisins if that is your sweetener? Like soak them, drain and blend? Can’t wait to try these!! It is def fall here in Salt Lake City. It has been so cold we’ve had the heater on a handful of times. It just hit us all of a sudden.

1. No need to soak. You just blend them with the other dry ingredients.

18. Christina D says:

Oh these look and sound amazing! I’m pretty sure my kids will go nuts when I make them (and I plan to this weekend!).

1. Christina D says:

Heh… no pun intended 😛

19. nadine says:

could you print some sort of chart that explains the different kinds of flours, how they work and how to substitute with them…thanks!

20. Becki says:

do you think almond flour would work for these?

1. Sorry, I have not tried so I really can’t say.