Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

Gooey, sticky, sweet, delicious frosted pumpkin cinnamon rolls – They are perfect for Fall!

Recipe from @choccoveredkt... they make your entire house smell like Cinnabon and pumpkin pie!!! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/10/22/pumpkin-cinnamon-rolls/

pin-it

Want one??? Or maybe an entire pan???!

Normally, homemade cinnamon rolls are so good on their own that there’s not really much you can do to make them even better… But stuffing the pastries with pumpkin and even more cinnamon somehow manages to do just that! Imagine a cinnamon roll filled with pumpkin pie.

Add a sticky, sugary glaze and you’re taking the cinnamon rolls to unchartered territory in deliciousness.

chocolate Covered Katie

I made this particular batch of pumpkin cinnamon rolls on Saturday when my friend Sara came to visit from Minnesota. (You’ll be hearing much more about Sara in the near future.)

This is exactly how I felt when I met Sara two weeks ago…

We bonded over a shared love of photography, music, Saved by the Bell, and Freddie Prinze Jr. (Did you know he’s almost 40?!), talking non-stop the entire day about everything from awkward middle school dating experiences to our goals and dreams for the future.

We also spent quite a bit of time with the pumpkin cinnamon rolls.

Can you blame us?

Pumpkin Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls

pumpkin cinnamon rolls

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

Print This Recipe 5/5
5/54

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp yeast
  • 1 cup milk of choice
  • 2 tbsp sweetener of choice (not xylitol or stevia)
  • 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour, spelt flour, or all-purpose flour, or a combination
  • 2 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup sugar of choice
  • 1/8 tsp pure stevia extract, or 4 more tbsp granulated sugar of choice
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 4 tbsp melted coconut oil or full-fat (but trans-fat-free) butter-type spread
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 5 tbsp whole-wheat pastry or all-purpose flour
  • 3 tbsp sugar of choice (I like Sucanat here)
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • optional, 1/2 cup raisins
  • scant 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • dash salt
Yield: Makes 13

Instructions

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls recipe: Warm the milk in a small measuring bowl. You want it warm, but not boiling: if you have a candy thermometer, it should read 110 degrees F. Stir in the 2 tbsp sweetener, sprinkle the yeast on top, and set aside for 5 minutes. During this time, it should bubble up. (If it does not bubble up, either your yeast is no good or your milk was too hot or cold.)

In a large measuring bowl, combine the 2 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, 1/4 cup sugar of choice, stevia, salt, the 2 tsp cinnamon, and 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice. Stir very well.

Stir the melted oil and vanilla extract into the milk mixture, then pour this into the large measuring bowl of dry ingredients and stir to form a dough. Especially if using spelt flour, you may need to add a little extra flour until it’s dry enough to form a dough. Form dough into a ball, then place in a lightly-greased large bowl. Cover loosely with a towel, and set in a warm place to rise 20 minutes or until doubled in size. (If your oven has a “bread proof” setting, this is the perfect place to let your pumpkin cinnamon rolls rise.)

Meanwhile, stir together all remaining pumpkin cinnamon roll ingredients (except the 5 tbsp flour) in a medium measuring bowl. Set aside. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking pan. Set aside.

After the dough has risen, punch dough to deflate. Knead dough with your hands, adding the 5 tbsp flour as you knead so that the dough is not sticking to your hands. Knead 5 minutes. On a lightly-floured surface, roll out the dough into a very thin rectangle. Spread the contents of the medium mixing bowl evenly on top. Carefully roll up the dough, lengthwise, lifting and rolling the dough.

Using a large, sharp knife, slice dough into 13 even rolls, wiping the knife after each cut. The filling may ooze out a bit, but this is okay. Place the rolls in the prepared baking pan, and return to the warm place for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. When it reaches this temperature, place cinnamon rolls in the oven and bake 20 minutes. Glaze with the recipe below:

For the Glaze:

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar or Sugar-Free Powdered Sugar
3 1/2 to 4 tsp milk of choice (or more or less to achieve desired glaze thickness)
Whisk ingredients together to form a glaze. Using a spoon, drizzle evenly over pumpkin cinnamon rolls.

*View Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls Nutrition Facts*

Link Of The Day:

Chocolate Fudge Zucchini Brownies

Zucchini Brownies – moist, rich, extra chocolatey fudge brownies

Tags: , ,

1. I’ve never made cinnamon rolls before (that didn’t pop out of a cylinder at least!) Will have to try these out closer to the holidays!

2. they look good, and so do you! 😀

3. Wow!!! Those cinnamon rolls look and sound delicious. Fellow blogger friends always seem to be those people that you feel like you’ve known forever. I attended HLS this year and I felt like I had known many of the other girls for ages…. there was none of that awkward silence or trying to think of what to say next. Love it, when you just totally get another person like that!

4. Sarah S. says:

Gee, thanks a LOT, Katie. You gonna buy me a new keyboard? Mine’s covered in drool 😛

5. Every time I’ve gone into the gas station lately they’ve been running promotions on these jumbo cinnamon rolls. They always “look” good except I never really like the store bought ones. The frosting on the top is way too sweet and often the roll itself is too dry. These look wonderful and I’ll bet the entire kitchen smelled absolutely marvelous while they were baking! These look like a winner for Thanksgiving day breakfast!

6. Stephanie says:

How do you stay so skinny and pretty after testing all your homemade treats day after day?

1. Oh I’ve gained probably around 10 pounds these past few months, maybe partially due to all the taste testing :).

1. Danielle says:

Well, those 10lbs look FANTASTIC on you 🙂 Can’t wait to try these…thanks!!!

1. Thanks!! I’m actually pretty excited about it.

1. shadymama says:

just wanted to chime in that you look *Positively Glowing* in that first picture. (also – fyi: i have not tried a recipe of yers that was not an utterly smashing success. brava, lady.)

7. “Have you ever met someone for the first time and felt like you’ve known that person your entire life?”
    That’s the best. It’s kinda rare, so when it does happen, it’s a marvelous thing.

& I agree, it’s hard to improve on the cinnamon roll, but the addition of pumpkin is a great way to attempt it. Looks delish!

(& your hair is long & pretty!)

8. Lauren says:

Wah cinnamon rolls are my favorite food(that I don’t eat anymore)!! They look too good it’s torture 🙂
    Have you or anyone ever tried Chloe Coscarelli’s pumpkin cinnamon rolls? Jus wondrin

1. I’ve not seen them… I’m sure they are delicious!

9. Marie says:

Can these be made ahead of time and then refrigerated (or frozen?) and then baked for the 20 minutes when you are ready to serve them? Since there is a little prep work with these, I think it would be easier to do everything up to baking the night before.

BTW – I ABSOLUTELY love your blog and try to make just about every single recipe!

1. tiffany says:

cinnamon rolls can easily be frozen after youve rolled them up and cut them. freeze them before the step where youd put them in the pan to rise a bit more. ive done it with other recipes simular to this one and it worked really well, you just take it out of the freezer and pop them into the oven…since youd be cooking from frozen i think it takes a bit longer though, just keep an eye on them after the proper cooking time has passed

2. Miranda says:

Tiffany is right, instead of that last 30 min in a warm place, pop them directly into the fridge or freezer. In the fridge, they generally can rise overnight, I put them in the oven when it’s preheating (or on top of the oven vent burner) to warm up and finish rising the last little bit. I’ve not done frozen myself, but I’d suggest making sure you get a complete thaw, and maybe a start on the final rise before baking. If there are any frozen bits left in the middle of baking anything you often end up with a mess.<-sad experience speaking here

10. There’s a restaurant where I live that sells pumpkin cinnamon rolls…. I might love them more than regular cinnamon rolls! These look awesome and sooo big and gourmet looking. I will have to try these out!!

11. Rosene says:

Thanks! I was looking for a healthy rolls recipe. this is perfect!

12. Ah the scent of a fresh from the oven (pumpkin) cinnamon roll is one of the best things I can imagine on a crisp autumn morning. What a perfect way to start off the holiday season, too! Thanks for a lovely recipe, Katie!

13. WOW!!! I’d give anything for a pan of these to appear in front of me right now LOL

14. Carolin says:

I just started screaming out of happiness! 😀 Oh my god. These look so GOOD. I’ve been searching for the perfect healthy recipe for so long. I’m going to surprise my sister with em!:) Thank you so much katie.

15. Boo says:

Katie!! Wow! But….the big question….think we could make these gluten free??

1. Unfortunately I’m not seasoned enough in gf baking to know if it would work… I worry the lack of gluten wouldn’t feed the yeast and therefore the rolls wouldn’t rise or stay together. Perhaps there is something that could be substituted for the gluten? If you experiment, definitely be sure to report back!

16. Brittany says:

What can I do if my dough doesn’t rise properly? Is there another way to use my ‘broken’ dough with the same filling?

Or–Do you think it would be fine if I just try baking the rolls as-is? (and have maybe denser, less-risen rolls?)

1. You should be able to tell right away, when the yeast is still with the milk, if the yeast is no good. If it’s no good, don’t proceed with adding the milk to the dry ingredients until you buy some new yeast (or try a second time with new yeast and milk if the problem was an incorrect temperature).

1. Brittany says:

So I ended up making a yeast paste & folding that into the dough (I didn’t want to have to waste the dough I’d already prepared)

…and now it is rising! (slowly but surely)

Thank you for your recipe & your quick reply! I can’t wait to taste these babies ; )

1. Rosario says:

Hi. How did these turn out? Did the pumpkin add to or take away from the cinnamon roll taste experience? I see so many postings but not from anyone who actually made them. Thanks!

1. Brittany says:

These tasted great! I did have a problem with sticky dough, but the pumpkin flavor was amazing : )

17. Sara @ LovingOnTheRun says:

Wow Katie you have outdone yourself AGAIN! These look amazing and in perfect time for the fall!!

18. Mrs. D. says:

There you go again! I was lusting after some pumpkin cinnamon rolls just last night–a recipe that was NOT conducive to weight loss or healthfulness. I was feeling kind of down about some things, and I was SO tempted to make them, but I thought I would just wait it out. And here is my answer TODAY. Thank you so much. I cannot wait to give these a try!

19. Like Boo, I, too, am interested in your thoughts on making these gluten free! They look BEYOND incredible, Katie!

xo,
    Shirley

20. Cookies n' Creme says:

WOW! these look so awesome! I love your photography….Just wondering, do you always have your hair down when you’re cooking?
    Despite my efforts to tie my hair back, there is always stray hairs floating around…Except for the last couple months, I’ve been eating a lot of chocolate….Maybe the iron is keeping my hair in? 🙂

1. Usually it’s down… I don’t know that I’ve ever noticed a problem. Could definitely be the chocolate. Chocolate is responsible for many good things in this world.

1. anon says:

Constructive criticism: Hair in the food is gross. That photo ruins it. Your hair in the dish?

1. Lauren says:

Constructive criticism to you, anon: your comment is completely unnecessary.