Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Butternut Squash Soup Recipe

Homemade butternut squash soup – comforting deliciousness in a bowl!

Butternut Squash Soup Recipe Butternut Squash Soup

The summer before my junior year of high school (it seems so long ago), I took a road trip to visit colleges along the East Coast of the United States. One of the stops was Cornell University, located in the small town of Ithaca, New York. I fell instantly in love with the rolling hills, the cascading waterfalls, the quaint shops… and with Moosewood, a popular vegetarian establishment named one of the thirteen most influential restaurants of the 20th century by Bon Appétìt magazine. Although I did not fall in love with Ithaca’s brutal winters, and I eventually decided against applying to the school, I ate at Moosewood twice during the overnight trip and left the restaurant with a cookbook in each hand. (To date, Moosewood Restaurant has published an impressive thirteen cookbooks.)

The following Thai Butternut Squash Soup recipe, part of my Thanksgiving dinner, was inspired by a butternut squash soup recipe found in the Moosewood Restaurant Favorites cookbook. Using their recipe as a starting point, I made up my own butternut squash soup and was really happy with the results:

Butternut Squash Soup

Butternut Squash Soup Recipe

• 2 cups red onion, chopped (360g)
  • 2 tbsp minced garlic
  • 3 cups coconut milk (not lite or cartoned – Use cashew cream for a coconut-free version)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 1/2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
  • 3 1/2 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 lbs peeled butternut squash or sweet potato, chopped (6 cups)
  • 2 tsp lime zest
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • 3 tbsp pure maple syrup (or sweetener of choice, to taste)
  • up to 5 oz raw spinach, optional
  • coconut milk or vegetable broth as desired for a thinner soup

Butternut Squash Soup Recipe: Heat the onion and garlic in a large soup pot with some oil or oil spray until the onion is soft, about 10 minutes. Add the coconut milk, water, curry paste, ginger, salt, squash, lime zest, lime juice, and pure maple syrup, and bring to a boil. Continue boiling (a low boil, uncovered) until the squash is soft, about 10-15 minutes. Turn off the heat. Either transfer to a blender or use a hand blender to completely puree the soup. If using a blender, do it in two batches. If using the optional spinach, return the soup to the pot and add the spinach. Bring back to a boil and cook just until the spinach wilts. Serve either hot or cold.

Click on the following link for: Nutrition Facts + Lower-Calorie Version

Pumpkin Soup

Pumpkin Soup

Question of the Day: Do you enjoy taking road trips?

I think I like the idea of a road trip better than the actual trip. It’s fun to stock up on snacks, create a music playlist, and pack everything up into the car… but an hour or so into the journey, you will probably hear me asking, “Are we there yet?!”

Vegan Banana Pudding
LINK OF THE DAY: Banana Pudding Recipe

1. Lisa says:

This looks so tasty! I can never decide between butternut or pumpkin soup which one is my favorite – they are both so delicious.
    I don’t mind road trips that much…except if they are super long…then I will most likely get super impatient, but I totally prefer cars over planes. That’s for sure.

2. oh my gosh, I LOVE road trips. I love them with friends and I even love them alone! Haha I can sing my heart out when I’m alone and it’s a great time to think!

3. becauseHeloves! says:

That looks like the perfect comfort food for a snowy night! I kind of love road trips, mostly because we usually drive to Disneyworld once or twice a year! It’s like ten hours away from home, but I’ve been so many times that Disney is like a second home (:
    P.S. I made your peanut butter sandwich bread with your gingerbread butter, added some molasses, ginger, and nutmeg, and OMG! The batter was great, but I haven’t tasted the actual bread yet. I hope it’s good!

4. Melissa says:

Yum, I love butternut squash in all forms and this soup looks tasty!

5. Stefanie says:

Oh my gosh, this looks like the perfect thing to make this week to offset all of my Thanksgiving over-indulgence! Yum!
    I get excited by the thought of road trips (mostly the snacks), but then I get really sick of sitting down after about 2 hours!

6. I’ve read and re-read your previous post and can’t find anything offensive in it… guess people will always find fault in something. This soup sounds great! There’s nothing more comforting when it gets cold outside than a hot bowl of hearty soup.

1. Adri says:

Glad I’m not the only one. I just went back and reread it and I still can’t find anything remotely offensive.

1. Thank you both. To be honest, I couldn’t really figure it out either… but when I got emails from three different people, I had to conclude something in my word choice was offensive to a certain type of person… and obviously I don’t want that! 😕

2. Lissy says:

I think some people just wait around to be offended.

3. Danielle says:

Was it because of the comment about waiting till the last minute to shop? If that’s what offended someone people need to chill out!

4. Betty Marsenison says:

About the folks who got their panties all in a wad on Thanksgiving: Don’t go crazy trying to work out anyone else’s insecurities. You’re fabulous! LOVE your recipes, and you’re SO precious. 😉

5. Victoria says:

didn’t find anything either…. thats very weird! maybe they are competition trying to bring you down :O

2. Joanna says:

Same here!! Cant see anything rude. Im pretty sure she was joking and being funny. People take things too seriously these days!!! Come on- it’s a post about pies!!! Haha

3. kate says:

Same here!! I tried and i can’t figure out how someone could twist it and make it remotely offensive! It’s sad that people can’t even let you be yourself on your own blog. Anyway, your recipes are amazing and i am in love with this blog. You are such an inspiration! You are literally changing lives :)

1. Alex says:

No really, I didn’t get it and now I’m curious because I’m not able to find whatever could be offensive. Could anyone tell me? 😛
        Anyway, the one and only way you won’t be offensive to anyone is to not talk or do anything. And we would all miss a lot 😉

2. HilJo says:

I reread the last post too, and I assume people were offended by her saying that some people may have put off thanksgiving shopping/planning till the last minute. Basically I would say it was nitpicking. People who already have their feather ruffled start imagining insults where none were intended.

4. tiffany r says:

yeah, I’m with you guys…I went back a re-read the post, nothing I could see as offensive…love, love LOVE this blog!! you inspire me to create, so thanks!

7. Brianna says:

People were actually offended by your last post? Seriously? How uptight are people nowadays? Sheesh. . .Anyway, thanks for the recipe! I looovveee butternut squash in the fall/winter. It’s so good!

8. jamie says:

Katie,
    Yes, yes, yes! As an Ithaca native, I could not agree more about Moosewood.
    Thanks for reminding me of this gem of a recipe!
    XO

9. I was offended. Oh wait, I’m pretty sure you aren’t capable of being offensive Katie (hope you’re not offended by me saying that). :)

LOVE butternut squash soup. & road trips are only good if they’re 3 hours or less. Beyond that, I get a little stir crazy, though listening to Harry Potter on audio helps.

1. I’m probably the least offendable (is that a word?) person out there. Seriously, it takes a lot to offend me. Maybe it’s the years of vegan jokes I’ve been subjected to over the years… :)

10. Nikki says:

Hey Katie!

This soup looks amazing! With holiday dinners coming up, I was wondering how you survive as a vegan? Do you have any etiquette tips? Thanks!

1. becauseHeloves! says:

I don’t have the link, but I know she’s posted tips like that before! Maybe try searching it?

11. Noora says:

Thank you Katie! I have grown my own pumpkins this year and I still have a few ones left and I’ve been wondering what I’d do with them and now I know! Last time I made pumpkin&sweet potato soup :)

12. Stacie P says:

I have read and reread your post a million times… I don’t get it. Are people just ashamed of their lack’o’plannin?? If they’re ashamed enough to send an email about what was clearly a joke, shame on them. And apparently they feel they aren’t doing something correctly if they took offense to a joke about their own habits. Haha your blog is awesome! I appreciate the healthy recipes!! You always at so creative!!!

1. Sarah says:

Same here. Has the post been changed at all? I mean, I read it when Katie first posted it and nothing caught my attention… Looking back and rereading I don’t see anything now either?!

1. No, it’s still the same. I’m glad to know it wasn’t everyone who was upset by it… When the emails started to come, that was my fear: that I didn’t see anything offensive but everyone else did.

2. Jaya Marina Bhumitra says:

As someone who has gone to the grocery store to do my Thanksgiving shopping at 3pm when the store closes at 4pm the day-of for the past several years, your post made me laugh. It was funny! And true. Let’s just say that last-minute shoppers have to be the most creative shoppers. :) I can laugh at myself, would hope others could too.

13. Butternut squash is one of my favorite soups for winter! I haven’t made a batch yet this year, but I think it might be time to remedy that problem :)

14. Anna says:

Hmmm, just looked at your previous post. I don’t understand what’s so offensive about it?

Soup looks great, can’t wait to try it! :)

15. Ann D. says:

You seem like such a sweet person; can’t imagine you offending anyone. Please carry on as usual! :0)

16. Katy says:

This soup looks delicious, and the photos are awesome Katie! Pinned for an easy meal sometime soon. I didn’t find your previous post offensive at all, I thought it was very funny and realistic. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

17. Melissa says:

So I read your previous post twice and can’t figure out what was offensive about it – the part about people not planning ahead? Sorry if you got upset emails – I’m sure there were oodles more people that read your post and DIDN’T have an issue :) In any case, it’s hard with things like emails and blogs where there’s no intonation, body language or facial expressions so things can easily be taken out of context, as I’m sure was the case with that. I love your posts and your emails, keep it up and don’t be discouraged!!

18. Sarah says:

This post was very exciting for me, as I’m currently a student at Cornell University!! 😀 I have to agree that Moosewood is delicious, but the vegan options in Ithaca extend far beyond it! If you ever have the chance to visit Ithaca again, Greenstar Co-op= a vegan mecca!! && vegan cookie dough ice cream from purity ice cream is heaven. I grew up in a small town in Illinois where the only vegan option on most menus was a plain salad, so the abundance of vegan options here are a little overwhelming :) I’ve been following your blog for a long time, and I love it!

19. Lauren says:

It’s ridiculous that people were offended by your post. Seriously, this is KATIE’S blog. If you’re in such a negative mood that you’re picking at every little word trying to twist the meaning to give you something to argue about, you should probably take a break. This is a POSITIVE place.

20. This soup looks divine! I love butternet squash soups – one of my favourite winter and fall favourites! And to answer your question I love road trips 😀

21. Sarah says:

Ok, so I never comment, but had something to say for a change. First – wow, wth was offensive about that post? People are really just too sensitive. I’m sorry you have to deal with that. Second – I live near Ithaca and love it too! Third – find yourself some Molly Katzen cookbooks. She was a cook at the Moosewood and writes beautiful vegetarian cookbooks – I think you’d really like them (not vegan, but could be adapted I’m sure).

22. Bailey says:

Yum!! This looks amazing!

23. Lissy says:

this sounds soooooo goooooood.

24. Shari says:

Nothing offensive in your previous post. When people feel badly about themselves, they are often ultra-sensitive. You don’t need to apologize to everyone (unless maybe you get 50+ emails!) Just develop a standard, “Thank you so much for letting me know how this affected you” email and send it to the few people who complain.

Your blog is awesome, by the way! If/when you publish a cookbook, I will buy it. :)

1. chocolate katie says:

Thank you SO much!

25. Georgia says:

MM that looks gorgeous!!! Love soup in the cold weather :)

26. I wasn’t offended at all by your previous post, but going back and re-reading it I do think I can understand why some people might be. People might read that as “I am practical and plan ahead, unlike the rest of you lazy procrastinators” which obviously is not what you meant. But, yeah, I think I understand people enough to not think they’re off their rockers for being offended.

As for road trips, I love them! My family has been on several road trips to various national parks. The parks are definitely more fun than the actual driving (which can take hours and hours . . . once we even had a 40-hour stretch of driving!), but I don’t mind the driving too much. I just spend the time reading books!

1. Samantha says:

Ha! I kept re-reading that darn post to figure out what the issues was and I couldn’t figure out what was offensive so good to know. :) Then again, I hadn’t done any Thanksgiving pre-planning so I was probably nodding my head saying “yep, that’s me. “

27. Rita says:

Hey Katie! This is so weird, I’ve been searching for a good recipe last night and this morning and then I got an email with this recipe!! Talk about perfect timing!haha but I was wondering, for the serving size on the low cal option, is it per cup? Because I want to make some modifications and u would like to know how much cups this made!!

28. I have no idea what they found offending about your last post… I mean- It’s a recipe round-up. There were barely any words, just pictures. Haha.

Love this recipe! Very simple and once again reminding me that I need to order some more coconut milk online :)

29. Kinsey says:

I just met Mollie Katzen the other day in SF! It was so inspiring to talk to the person that started the vegetarian cookbook revolution!

30. debbie says:

This soup looks wonderful and since it’s one of my favorites I will have to try this recipe. i read your previous post and have absolutely no clue as to why what you wrote would upset anyone. Maybe some people are super sensitive. Who knows.

31. Meesh says:

Hi Katie! I’m a regular reader of your blog and I love many of your recipes. You’ve definitely made my transition to veganism smoother :-)

I’ve been reading your blog since I became vegan (about six months ago) and I’ve noticed that your sidebar with the “Popular Posts” has never changed. I just wondered if those are still your most popular recipes?

1. chocolate katie says:

I wish I could change them! Unfortunately they were set up by my web designer awhile back… It is on my to-do list to try and figure out how to change them and still keep it looking pretty :).

32. Chelsea says:

I’m very confused. I read the last post. What did people find insulting?

33. I feel the exact same way about road trips. Fun in theory, but too long in the car and I go cray cray! haha

34. Cassie says:

TOTALLY AGREE! I love the idea of road trips… then an hour in I’m rethinking the decision!

35. Katie A says:

This soup looks wonderful! As a busy gluten free college student, during the fall I like to make a big pot of butternut or fresh pumpkin soup every Sunday, and the leftovers usually last me until Friday. Even though I love my butternut soup with coconut milk, it’s high fat content makes me have some major stomach aches ( I personally just don’t do we’ll on a high fat diet) so I like to add 2 cups of unsweetened almond milk and 1 cup of white bean or chickpea Purée ( but i add nutritional yeast too) I really want to make your version Sunday! Too bad it’s no longer squash season in Ohio.

36. trajayjay says:

I don’t understand why people say “Are we there yet”

If you were, you wouldn’t still be driving, you’d be parked.

Therefore, you’re there when you’re parked.

37. KarenW says:

I made the Lower-Fat Version of this for my family last night and we all loved it! It was so flavorful and delicious!

38. Shaggerspicchu says:

Oh that recipe is absolutely perfect. YUM! Thanks Katie, you are my favourite!

39. Casey says:

I made the lower calorie version with 2 cans of pumpkin and now sweetener and it was delicious! You should do meal recipes more often! I’m always curious what you eat for meals, I always imagined it to be cookies though. XD

40. Caroline says:

I have a hot bowl of this superdelicious soup sitting in front of me right now and can only thank you for combining my love for pumpkin and thai curry in one awesome dish. Everyone – you need to try this :)

41. kr says:

Show us the emails!!!!!!! Only you know what they were complaining about and you wont tell. Very anti climactic post. Makes me sad. Tell me!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASSSEEE AHHHHHHHHHH

42. Barbara Gabbe-Harris says:

Hey Amber – this soup Is yummy, Love all of your recipes, in fact! …. Just made your blueberry yogurt coffee cake and I have been eating a slice in the morning for breakfast. And, I just noticed that you include weight watchers points! Wow! I just started weight watchers on line and boy am I happy! 4 points of healthy wonderfulness in the morning for breakfast. You are the best! Barbara

43. Barbara Gabbe-Harris says:

Oops…so sorry …called you Amber…meant Katie, of course! Thanks again for weight watchers points!