Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

An Update On What’s Happening In My Life…

Readers have been asking about my references to leaving Texas, and since I promised to make the blog more personal anyway, it’d probably be good to elaborate. If you’re only interested in recipes, feel free to skip this post; the recipes will continue soon.

chocolate covered katie

I’ve always been a passionate person.

This can either be a good or bad thing, depending on the situation. From the moment I decide to do something, I will throw all of my energy into it, can’t be talked out of it by anyone (including myself), and stubbornly refuse to give up until I’m successful. Or until I’m dragged away, kicking and screaming.

(My apologies to anyone who knew me as a two-year-old and witnessed one of my epic temper tantrums.)

In terms of the blog, this passion could mean baking seventeen batches of brownies in the span of two days to perfect the recipe… it could mean staying up until 3 am writing and editing a post I’m dead-set on publishing the next morning… it could mean reading through an entire computer self-help volume in a night to figure out how to implement one piece of coding… All real examples of things I’ve done.

And in my non-blog life, this passion manifests itself in the risks I take, some of which people would consider to be crazy. (Like when I quit college to be a food blogger…)

In mid-October I decided that I wanted to was going to move to New York City… and I was going to do it before the month was over. So after planning everything down to the minutia, I packed my belongings into the car and commenced the long drive, pausing only for what was supposed to be a short detour to stay with cousins I’d promised to visit, directly along the way.

However, life decided it had a better idea than mine.

The morning I was scheduled to finish the trip, I woke up with a 102-degree fever; only the third time I’ve been sick in fourteen years. No big deal… I called my sister in New York (at whose apartment I’d planned to stay while looking for my own place) and told her to expect me the next weekend instead. Friday night before the next weekend: little sister calls me this time, saying she’s dealing with a gas leak at the apartment and could I please stay where I am for the moment? And then an unseasonably-early ice storm hit, rendering the roads un-drivable.

Meanwhile I found myself developing close relationships with some amazing people around me. Every day was a new adventure (from a Washington, D.C. socialite gala to a Rob Zombie concert, and everything in between). I was experiencing life in a way I’d never experienced it before, and it made me wonder…

winter tree

Once I got it in my mind to stay?

Of course there was no talking me out of that decision either.

Question of the Day:

What was the most recent risk you took in your life?

1. Lauren says:

Wow! How exciting! Best of luck on your new adventure 🙂

2. Becky F says:

I love it! Good for you. Do these things while you can. Best of luck!

3. trajayjay says:

The biggest risk I’ve taken recently…um…, putting maple extract in a batch of cookies.

Glad you’re on your way.

4. Abby says:

Good for you Katie! Washington D.C. is an awesome place. If you’re looking for somewhere to get good food, (and more importantly, good desserts) go to the Cheesecake Factory. It’s super yummy! Best of luck on your new journey! :DD

1. Edan says:

Katie is vegan, I doubt she would eat at The Cheesecake Factory 🙂
      Anyway, Good luck Katie on your new life in D.C! I used to live there as well.

1. lita says:

the cheesecake factory isn’t my favorite dining spot or anything, but it does actually have a couple of vegan friendly items, and there are a couple of decent salads you can get sans meat! just a tip 🙂

5. becauseHeloves! says:

Good for you! I would say the biggest risk I’ve ever taken is definitely giving my life to Christ. The most recent risk I’ve taken is subbing milk in for carrot juice in your healthy gingerbread recipe! (: it turned out awesome, so a risk well taken!
    Have fun at your new place!

6. Shannon says:

I live in the DC area, too. Welcome!! I think you will love all of the vegan food we have here!!!

7. Jess says:

DC is awesome! The biggest risk I’ve taken is moving from Portland, OR to Phoenix, AZ at age 20 and then to Chicago, IL at age 23. There’s no such thing as failure in the game of life, just lessons. You can always change your mind (haha) but you won’t.

1. Sara says:

I love your comment Jess! 🙂

8. Jessica says:

Good luck in the new phase of your life! It sounds like an exciting change. I love your blog and wish you all the best!

9. Ann D. says:

As long as your kitchen is in working order and you have a good internet connection ~ why not!

10. Judy says:

Welcome to the Nations Capital!

11. Hope you love your new apartment and it serves you well. Good luck ! 🙂

12. So exciting about your new life! Good for you 🙂

13. Tiffany says:

Katie, Thank you for being so personal with your post and sharing your risk with us! I am so happy you are following your heart 🙂

Ps. You look amazing!!! and I love your curves!!!!!!!

14. Livi says:

good luck! you can do anything!!

15. narf7 says:

Looks like the decision to stay in Texas has been a good one. You look amazingly happy and healthy and whether you have furniture or not, its always a good time to learn to juggle ;).

1. Carie says:

She didn’t stay in Texas. She moved to D.C.

16. Oh wow—I love this story. The universe works in mysterious ways…Congrats!

17. Katie, I’m so happy to hear how things worked out for you. It truly sounds like destiny took a hand in planning your future for you. Good luck buying furniture and making your new place feel truly like home soon. But I guess as long as you have a great kitchen you’ll already be a happy camper ;).

18. Victoria says:

You MUST find me so that I can show you all the best vegan chocolate in the city. Welcome!

1. Sounds good to me! Email me any time :).

19. Lena says:

Good for you! Also, just have to say you look great in the last photo – I’m totally envious of your figure. (And also your outfit. For some reason, I have a thing for the boots-with-knee-high-socks look…)

20. Christi says:

So you’re now in DC? I love hearing stories like this (that show how the universe works in mysterious ways that work in our favor). Congrats!

1. Yes, Washington D.C.
      I love those types of stories too :).