Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

An Update On What’s Happening In My Life…

Readers have been asking about my references to leaving Texas, and since I promised to make the blog more personal anyway, it’d probably be good to elaborate. If you’re only interested in recipes, feel free to skip this post; the recipes will continue soon.

chocolate covered katie

I’ve always been a passionate person.

This can either be a good or bad thing, depending on the situation. From the moment I decide to do something, I will throw all of my energy into it, can’t be talked out of it by anyone (including myself), and stubbornly refuse to give up until I’m successful. Or until I’m dragged away, kicking and screaming.

(My apologies to anyone who knew me as a two-year-old and witnessed one of my epic temper tantrums.)

In terms of the blog, this passion could mean baking seventeen batches of brownies in the span of two days to perfect the recipe… it could mean staying up until 3 am writing and editing a post I’m dead-set on publishing the next morning… it could mean reading through an entire computer self-help volume in a night to figure out how to implement one piece of coding… All real examples of things I’ve done.

And in my non-blog life, this passion manifests itself in the risks I take, some of which people would consider to be crazy. (Devoting myself to a food blog instead of getting a “real” job after college?)

In mid-October I decided that I wanted to was going to move to New York City… and I was going to do it before the month was over. So after planning everything down to the minutia, I packed my belongings into the car and commenced the long drive, pausing only for what was supposed to be a short detour to stay with cousins I’d promised to visit, directly along the way.

However, life decided it had a better idea than mine.

The morning I was scheduled to finish the trip, I woke up with a 102-degree fever; only the third time I’ve been sick in fourteen years. No big deal… I called my sister in New York (at whose apartment I’d planned to stay while looking for my own place) and told her to expect me the next weekend instead. Friday night before the next weekend: little sister calls me this time, saying she’s dealing with a gas leak at the apartment and could I please stay where I am for the moment? And then an unseasonably-early ice storm hit, rendering the roads un-drivable.

Meanwhile I found myself developing close relationships with some amazing people around me. Every day was a new adventure (from a Washington, D.C. socialite gala to a Rob Zombie concert, and everything in between). I was experiencing life in a way I’d never experienced it before, and it made me wonder…

winter tree

Once I got it in my mind to stay?

Of course there was no talking me out of that decision either.

Question of the Day:

What was the most recent risk you took in your life?

1. Lauren says:

Wow! How exciting! Best of luck on your new adventure :)

2. Becky F says:

I love it! Good for you. Do these things while you can. Best of luck!

3. trajayjay says:

The biggest risk I’ve taken recently…um…, putting maple extract in a batch of cookies.

Glad you’re on your way.

4. Abby says:

Good for you Katie! Washington D.C. is an awesome place. If you’re looking for somewhere to get good food, (and more importantly, good desserts) go to the Cheesecake Factory. It’s super yummy! Best of luck on your new journey! :DD

1. Edan says:

Katie is vegan, I doubt she would eat at The Cheesecake Factory :)
      Anyway, Good luck Katie on your new life in D.C! I used to live there as well.

1. lita says:

the cheesecake factory isn’t my favorite dining spot or anything, but it does actually have a couple of vegan friendly items, and there are a couple of decent salads you can get sans meat! just a tip :)

5. becauseHeloves! says:

Good for you! I would say the biggest risk I’ve ever taken is definitely giving my life to Christ. The most recent risk I’ve taken is subbing milk in for carrot juice in your healthy gingerbread recipe! (: it turned out awesome, so a risk well taken!
    Have fun at your new place!

6. Shannon says:

I live in the DC area, too. Welcome!! I think you will love all of the vegan food we have here!!!

7. Jess says:

DC is awesome! The biggest risk I’ve taken is moving from Portland, OR to Phoenix, AZ at age 20 and then to Chicago, IL at age 23. There’s no such thing as failure in the game of life, just lessons. You can always change your mind (haha) but you won’t.

1. Sara says:

I love your comment Jess! :)

8. Jessica says:

Good luck in the new phase of your life! It sounds like an exciting change. I love your blog and wish you all the best!

9. Ann D. says:

As long as your kitchen is in working order and you have a good internet connection ~ why not!

10. Judy says:

Welcome to the Nations Capital!

11. Hope you love your new apartment and it serves you well. Good luck ! :)

12. So exciting about your new life! Good for you :)

13. Tiffany says:

Katie, Thank you for being so personal with your post and sharing your risk with us! I am so happy you are following your heart :)

Ps. You look amazing!!! and I love your curves!!!!!!!

14. Livi says:

good luck! you can do anything!!

15. narf7 says:

Looks like the decision to stay in Texas has been a good one. You look amazingly happy and healthy and whether you have furniture or not, its always a good time to learn to juggle ;).

1. Carie says:

She didn’t stay in Texas. She moved to D.C.

16. Oh wow—I love this story. The universe works in mysterious ways…Congrats!

17. Katie, I’m so happy to hear how things worked out for you. It truly sounds like destiny took a hand in planning your future for you. Good luck buying furniture and making your new place feel truly like home soon. But I guess as long as you have a great kitchen you’ll already be a happy camper ;).

18. Victoria says:

You MUST find me so that I can show you all the best vegan chocolate in the city. Welcome!

1. Sounds good to me! Email me any time :).

19. Lena says:

Good for you! Also, just have to say you look great in the last photo – I’m totally envious of your figure. (And also your outfit. For some reason, I have a thing for the boots-with-knee-high-socks look…)

20. Christi says:

So you’re now in DC? I love hearing stories like this (that show how the universe works in mysterious ways that work in our favor). Congrats!

1. Yes, Washington D.C.
      I love those types of stories too :).

21. Andrea says:

This post was so inspirational and genuinely made me smile. I bet everything is going to work out great for you in D.C.!

22. Christine says:

DC is a terrific place for vegans (check out the Ethiopian restaurants and Sticky Fingers cafe). If you ever get tired of the city, just drive an hour away and you’ll find rural Virginia or Maryland. Best of success!

1. chassidy says:

Or West Virginia in between! Harpers Ferry is one of the most beautiful and historical parks around. Katie, definitely check it out if you need away from the city.

23. Jenny says:

Congrats on your new adventure! I dont think Ive ever taken a risk except to maybe quit my job and be a stay at home mom which has been awesome. Don’t ever feel pressured to do what you think “society”, family, etc. wants you to do; i.e., “get a real job after college.” Being true to yourself will allow people you meet in life to know the real you. “Faking it” through life is stressful. The stress over questions about “getting a real job” pale in comparison to quitting the real job and having to field questions about “what happened?” and not meeting the expectations of the people you were faking it for. If youre able to pay your bills and pursue your dreams without getting that “real job” and are happy than keep on! I’m making your funfetti cookie dough balls and gingerbread balls for a cookie exchange tomorrow. Actually that could be a “risk” because anything cooking/baking related scares me. I dont know how I found your blog but so far Ive just admired the recipes; havent actually made any. But they dont look too hard and the “healthier” appeals to be so here I go. Good luck in DC. Have fun and don’t settle with the furniture! Wait until you find what you love!

24. Steph says:

Wow, you look fantastic!!!

25. Makayla says:

Love the hot pink soccer ball! I don’t quite understand….are you moving to New York City or staying in Texas? I hope you continue posting your AMAZING recipes! :)

1. I am somewhere in between the two, in Washington, D.C.

26. I recently moved from the north of England to Scotland for a job. Kind of crazy and even crazier that my boyfriend followed me.

27. way to go woman! dream big and go for it! and hope you are feeling better!

28. Colleen says:

YAY! I live between DC and Baltimore, and I LOVE it here! Pretty much anything you could possibly want is within a short drive. Mountains? Check. Beaches? Check! LOADS of culture in DC and Baltimore, amazing restaurants, multiple concert venues, it is great. Since you are in the area, you should check out the swing dancing scene to meet people! Glen Echo near DC is great, but you should totally go to the Mobtown Ballroom in Baltimore — they have lindy hop, blues, Aerial Silks/circus, belly dance, square dancing, and burlesque! SO much fun!

29. Congrats, Katie! What a fun, new adventure! You are definitely super courageous. That color of pink looks awesome on you, by the way! :)

30. Sometimes life takes you places you never would have dreamed of and you just have to go for it. After all, what do you have to lose?

1. Jilly says:

Beautifully said. Those who have never failed – have never tried.

31. Karen says:

Wow, congratulations! I have been following your blog since I found out my daughter was allergic to egg and I still wanted her to have cool treats to share with her friends. I live in rural Maryland, only 30 minutes from DC and Baltimore. There are lot of people, but that just means there is a lot of interesting things to do and wonderful choices of food. If I ever see you out, I probably be one of those people who will yell “Hey I know her! I know her!”

1. If you do see me, definitely say hello! I would love to meet you… I’m always sad when people say they saw me but didn’t say anything.

32. Josyane says:

Hey Katie! Big decision this was for you! Hope everything turns out well in this new city. For me, I have left my job (I’ve been working in the same field for more than 7 years now) and I’m going back to school in January. Big decision for me since I won’t have any income during that time and that I will have to find a new job after! I wish you great holidays!

33. Melissa says:

Congrats on the move and on taking risks! My husband and I deliberated for MONTHS about where to move next (out of NYC) and after an 8 month search, finally settled on being closer to family just outside the city. Everything in life is making one choice instead of another… if it’s working for you, go with it! Best wishes in your new digs and new adventure! (I’ve always had a mini-crush on DC. Lots to love there!)

34. Katy says:

This is so exciting, I really loved reading this Katie. I can relate to your passion, and the feeling of wanting to stay in a place because of developing relationships with the place and people around you. Best of luck in your new adventure. :)

35. Jennifer says:

Good luck and many blessings on your new life in DC!! Something about your post made me think about the Mary Tyler Moore show(telling my age) new city, new apt and beautiful young woman!! I think you should star in your own show, you already have lots of devoted fans! Best of luck Katie and enjoy, enjoy your new adventure. The mom in me must also say, be careful and safe! :)

36. Shira says:

Nooooooooooooo come to NY and hang out with me!!! :)

37. Amber says:

LOVE THIS POST!! I love how life and the universe will just change your plans! I lived in DC for 3 months for work and miss it! I loved just being able to walk into (almost) any museum for free. And the Folklife Festival in the summer, the Marine Corps Marathon in October, it is such a wonderful city! And for food? Definitely Sticky Fingers bakery! I was able to have sausage gravy, which I haven’t had in 16 years! You should come up with a recipe for that! Good luck!

38. Erin says:

Loving the pink ball! It just happens to be my fav color 😉
    Congrats on your big move and only the best in all of your ventures! We here at U Rock Girl think your recipes are totally fun and playful. Rock it in D.C. ,

39. Dee in Oki says:

I moved to Japan in August. It wasn’t quite a big risk, as my hubby and I are both in the military. But…I also got tired of the way my marriage was going, and sat my hubby down and actually talked to him. It worked, and we’re better than ever! Good luck! I’d LOVE to live in NYC for a while!

1. April Damon says:

That’s awesome! I’m sure that it was a truly scary moment for you in your marriage and I’m glad it worked out.

40. Laney says:

Wow! I’m so glad you’re in the DC area now :) I hope you like it here!

41. Am says:

Cool! Congratulations!
    We just moved to the East Coast, too!

42. Congrats on the new digs! Now I want a pink soccer ball…

43. Sarah says:

Ugh. DC is so lucky! I was kinda hoping you were going to say you moved back to Philly / the Philly area. :-( oh well come visit! We’d love to have you!

44. Ayaka says:

Welcome to DC! Are you in the district?? That picture from your window looks somewhat familiar…

Anyway, I hope you like it here. (I think you will though…)

1. Ayaka says:

I moved here from Japan almost 6 years ago (with a break of 1 year in NYC for school). I am very much a city person myself, but with my family, especially now that I have a little one, DC is just perfect :) Email me if you have any questions about things here. I am not a local but I think I might be able to help you with something 😉

45. megan says:

DC is a great place for vegans – you’ll find tons of options (and if you’re in DC proper or southern Maryland, I recommend Yes! Organic Market). I’m not vegan myself, but have always been fascinated with vegan baking, and I have two good friends who are vegan, so I love having a go-to place to find recipes to make for them! Welcome!

46. Erin Cole says:

Back in 2008, one of my good friends got a teaching job in AZ (we lived in Maine at the time). He came to my job to tell me about it and I said “can I come?” I bought a ticket that day and we flew out the following afternoon. After a month I decided AZ was not the place for me.

When I went to fly back to Maine from Arizona, I decided to stop in NYC to see two of my siblings (I am originally from NY). I never left. 5 years later I still live in New York. Had I not taken a risk on a whim to move to Arizona, I wouldn’t be back in New York. Our plans don’t always work as we originally imagined, but sometimes they lead us to something even greater than we ever dreamed. I hope Washington makes you as happy as New York has made me. You’re a beautiful woman inside and out, best of luck sweetie.

(Not sure if you remember me, I sent you an email awhile back about someone who was using your photographs/recipes and claiming them as yours).

God bless you during the holiday season… and always xoxoxo

1. I do remember you! Thank you so much, Erin :)

47. Casey says:

Oh FUN!! Since you’re a blogger, it doesn’t matter where in the world you are…use this time in your life to EXPLORE!!! I up and moved to San Diego (from FL) a month after graduating from college. I knew one person out there and she needed a roommate. Landed a job a week later and found my HUSBAND a month and a half later. We’ve been married for 10+ years…so I’ve always said, I followed my heart to Cali and FOUND it!!!!

48. Megan says:

Good for you Katie! I’m excited for you.

49. Maria says:

You look beautiful and happy, Katie – you’re an inspiration. Thanks for all that you contribute to the world! Can’t wait to hear about more of your adventures!

By the way- was the concert Korn and Rob Zombie? My boyfriend and I flew to Corpus Christi just to see it. It was so fun!

1. This one was in DC, so not the same. But I had a lot of fun too!

50. Congratulations on your new adventure! What an exciting time! I must also say that you look FANTASTIC in that last photo – healthy and glowing!

51. EVA says:

Did….did you get to go to the Twins of Evil concert?! (referring to your Rob Zombie experience) I’m fuming in a jealous rage right now.

1. No, the opening band was Scar the Martyr (not sure if you know them… I didn’t!)

1. EVA says:

Haha I do! Katie’s even cooler than I thought!

52. Nicole says:

First of all, congrats on your new place! It’s always great to follow your passions wherever they lead you :) I’m also a very passionate person so I get it!
    The most recent risk I took was deciding to recover from an eating disorder and committing myself to it. I still struggle, but every day is a little easier, and the emotional risk I took when putting myself into treatment is SO worth it!!

53. Sara says:

Welcome to the East Coast! Just north of DC is a vegan restaurant called Great Sage, which constantly wins awards for itS amaaaaazing vegan food. It’s in a plaza called Conscious Corner, with lots of beautiful animal and earth friendly shopping. I’m always looking for a reason to go, so if you get the urge to take a little trip (about 30 minutes), I’d love to meet up for yumminess! And shopping. Always shopping.

54. Wow, great for you Katie. It’s inspiring to hear about others making “ballsy” moves. Good luck in NYC.

I also just read your Blogger Beginner posts. Thanks for all the great advice! Since I’m just starting out, I love reading other blogger’s tips.

55. Karen says:

Conratz on your new home! It’s weird what life throws at us sometimes but we learn to accept it. Good luck on your new place (:

56. Awesome! how exciting! Best of luck in this new stage of your life!

57. Stella says:

You look so healthy and happy and hot! haha so glad to hear you are doing well :)

58. Stefanie says:

I LOVE the personal stuff. I’ve been feeling the need to share more too lately. My move from Dallas to Los Angeles a couple of years ago happened pretty quickly once I got the idea in my mind, but it was definitely the best decision I ever made. The most recent risk I’ve taken… actually, I think every moment that I continue to pursue an acting career is a risk. Some days I feel like auditioning is no better than playing the lottery… ha!

59. Oh my Katie – You look fantastic..Of course you’ve always been as beautiful as your amazing looking recipes but not running is really suiting your shape (as in you look so healthy).
    Enjoy your new life and furniture shopping is fun, just not as fun as eating chocolate! :)

1. I agree :). More time, more energy, and the added bonus of new curves… I think it is safe to say I really don’t miss running at all and only regret not quitting sooner.

60. Sara says:

I guess the most recent risk was to become 100 % well and recovering from an eating disorder no matter what people ((incl. myself)) would think of my body. It is so painful, but I know that it is worth it. :)

Btw, you look gorgeous! You’re such an inspiration, and my favorite part of your blog is actually this kind of personal stuff. Keep it up :)

1. Thank you so much, Sara! And good luck!

61. Lisa says:

Wow cool! Seriously admire your courage. Hope you’ll love your new town (is it D.C?), and that you’ll, in the future, make it to the oh-so-awesome New York, which I myself dream of to sometime call my home. Best wishes!!!

62. Tanuja says:

Katie, so you’re in DC then? I just moved from there last year! I LOVED DC – easily one of the most intense, incredible moves of my life. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I lived there for 5 years and recently moved back to Houston to be near my family again after being away for more than 10 years. All the best and definitely let us know about some good vegan restaurants around there!

63. Kathleen L. says:

Wow, Katie, I’m so excited for you! Passion is the key to an extraordinary life, and I’m so happy to see you understand the importance of that. By reading through the comments of this post, it’s clear that the passion you exude has inspired so many others, and I can tell you that it’s helped me. Your passion for cooking has helped me recover form a bout with restrictive eating and taught me that healthy food and indulgence can go hand in hand. Sorry, I hope that doesn’t sound to sappy! Just know that wether it’s through a personal post like this one or a run-of-the-mill recipe post, your passion is very evident and inspires all your readers.
    I’m moving to D.C. myself next year for school, and I hope to run into around the city sometime!

1. Your comment really meant a lot to me, Kathleen. It’s always nice to know a person was helped by something I wrote. And if you do ever see me when you move to Washington, definitely say hi! :)

64. You’re stunning! I’m glad to see that you’re looking so happy and wish you well on your adventure!

65. Sherry says:

Wow, I am blown away by your sense of adventure, and so excited for you! I ran away from home many times when I was a young girl, and was always headed for Paris. Sure at 5…no idea how I was getting there but Paris! I kept that dream for so many years, I was going to get to Paris. I’m 53 and even though that is NOT old I have let go of Paris. Sigh. I live vicariously through other people’s adventures! Yeah you!

1. You are never too old! Don’t give up your dream!

66. Autumn says:

My hubby and I moved across the country in March and ended up in Maryland. It is so fun out here, everyone is nice and the history out here is amazing! Enjoy it!

67. Tayler says:

Katie it is fate! Your heart and mind are leading you to a new place! Have fun, but if you are moving again, may I suggest my hometown Fort Collins, Colorado? We could use some chocolate covered goodness here 😉

68. Greg says:

It sounds like you are in the D.C. area. The East coast has an excellent rail system. You could always visit NYC on the weekends. This latest move may be just a stepping stone to NYC. I moved to NYC in 2006, but circumstances forced me back to Texas after just a few all too short months. I loved every second of my time there and hope to move back there some day. For now, though, I’m biding my time and waiting for the right opportunity. Good luck in this latest chapter of your life!

69. Sara says:

Good Luck!
    I Moved from Israel to California when I was 21, with only $1000 and two big backpacks.

70. anne says:

DC was my favorite city to live in! I loved the Georgetown waterfront area for runs, brunches & cupcakes of course, and Dupont was so fun for nights out. I miss not having a car and taking the redline everywhere. There’s so much to do out there, and the free museums are such a big plus. Enjoy it all, you’re lucky to be able to work from anywhere!

71. Kate says:

I am the same way! I wake up one morning and boom, I set my mind to something and I won’t stop until I reach it. The most recent one has been to quit my job, leave San Francisco and travel the world for a year. I’ve been planning for a year, and my last day at work was Friday!

I am planning to travel blog as I go, and I was wondering if you have any advice for a new blogger, something you wish you’d known when you started.

I’m glad you listened to your heart and weren’t stubborn about sticking with the move even though you were enjoying where you are. Best of luck!

1. Hi Kate!
      Good luck with your new blog! I hope you love it as much as I do.
      Posts with blogging tips are linked here:
      Hopefully they can be somewhat helpful.

72. Angie says:

Welcome to the East Coast! Happy to have you in the area, so much to see do and love in DC, VA and MD!

73. Lauren Y. says:

Good for you, Katie and best of luck with everything!! btw, you look AMAZING!!! so healthy and HAPPY! :)

74. Susan says:

So where did you end up? This enquiring mind wants to know…

I think the biggest risk I’ve taken lately was when my husband and I signed up for training to become volunteer pictograph tour guides at our local state park, here in far west Texas. Being in my late 60s and never being at all athletic made this a real challenge, because to do this job you have to be able to scramble around on big rocks, which really means climbing on them. I’ve managed to do that and get to where I really enjoy it.

As a post-script, political stuff aside, I’m really enjoying living in Texas. :-)

75. Stefanie says:

What neighborhood did you choose? The view from your apartment looks like Crystal City or Pentagon City to me! We just moved from D.C. to New York, but enjoy yourself! There is great vegan food at Elizabeth’s Gone Raw (D.C.), Sunflower Vegetarian Restaurant (Vienna, Va.), Sticky Fingers Sweets and Eats (D.C.), Loving Hut (Falls Church, Va.), and Everlasting Life Cafe (D.C.). ENJOY!!

1. Thank you so much for all the recommendations. I will definitely have to check some of them (read: all of them) out :).

76. Terezka says:

I am happy for you but!! When I read you are about to move to NYC I was so excited, thinking I might bump into you haha

77. What am incredible story. Life really does work out to what is best for us. The great thing about DC is that NY is only about a 40 minute flight! You can see your sister so easily on weekends. I’m so excited for you! You are going to LOVE DC! And there is no place to have Christmas than in Washington. :)

78. Diane says:

How exciting Katie! I wish you all the luck there is.

79. YAY! Katie’s in NY! I’m actually moving there in early 2014!! I would love to meet you if I do. I know that sounds strange, but as a blogger who’s read your posts since Day One, what a cool thing that would be.

PS- I was a terrible child too- passion is a beautiful and bad thing at times:) That just makes us good at what we do! You look awesome, by the way!:0

80. Kelly S. says:

I live in DC and just know you’re going to love it! Besides having a great vegan restaurant in Mount Pleasant (Woodlands Bistro/ Everlasting Life Cafe), there are so many great running routes around the monuments etc you’re going to love!

81. Congrats Katie! I did my undergrad in DC and LOVE LOVE LOVE it there! It has a much different feel than NY (I grew up in the suburbs) but it is such a wonderful city! Checkout Elizabeth’s Gone Raw, Everlasting Life Cafe, Puree Juice Bar, and Busboys and Poets,

82. Amy in Toronto says:

Congratulations & mazel tov! Wherever you live, may your passions continue to grow and flourish!

I just firmed up my very first home-ownership (condo) deal this week, myself, so I will be taking the leap from lifelong renter to homeowner, which is ridiculously scary and expensive beyond anything I’ve ever seen before, and oddly comforting and exhilarating. As I move from my tiny cube of an apartment to my 2-bedroom place downtown, I may swap the soccer ball idea for my hula hoops and use one of the rooms as a dance-my-ass-off-to-let-go-of-anxiety room, since I’m so not used to having extra space. :-)

Great news, congratulations again!

83. Miriam says:

Congrats on moving to D.C. I spent a lot of my childhood there and loved it, especially the museums and rich history. The most recent risk I took in my life was to accept a job working from home, writing recipes and informational articles for a food and nutrition website! It has been such a blessing for me as I have health issues that making working in a traditional office or workplace difficult. This risk has turned out to be one well worth taking!

84. Katie R says:

I love living outside DC and it is amazing that almost all the museums are free. My favorite is the Natural History Museum (especially the hall with gems and jewels). Make sure to walk along the tidal basin in the spring when the cherry blossoms are in bloom, it’s absolutely beautiful :) enjoy the city and all the adventures it presents :)

1. miriam says:

When I was a kid living in northern VA, one of my friends was a girl scout and invited my sister and I to go on an overnight stay at the National History Museum with her troop. So we basically had a huge slumber party in the museum. It was so awesome! I don’t know if the museum still allows these type of activities, but it is one of my favorite childhood memories.

85. Go girl! Give it all you’ve got, embrace every moment… and just know that you can return ‘home’ whenever you want! My biggest risk was quitting my job this time last year and having no new job to go to… In the last 12 months I have forged new friendships, built my own vegan fitness food business and collaborated with other companies I admire, and now i’m writing my first ebook and am presenting my first seminar in 3 weeks time….. none of that would ever have happened without a little leap of faith. xx

86. Kay says:

You look so beautiful and vibrant and happy in this post! I am so glad to see you loving your life despite so many changes!

87. stephanie says:

Awesome post! (Although I read it to mean you were staying in Texas…now I am confused!) You look AHHHHHMAZING though and I love the ball/furniture spin!

88. Jody says:

You are gorgeous!!!! And the coolest vegan ever!

Merry Christmas!!

89. Gail says:

Dude, that is amazing! I envy your sense of adventure. Until now, the most adventurous thing I’ve done is get a half-sleeve tattoo… that I’d been wanting/planning for six years, hah.
    I am planning something even more adventurous in the future, though: I’m going back to school to become What I Want To Be When I Grow Up. Next August, I’m quitting my job and starting school. It’s eight months away and I’m already freaking out!! Hahaha, guess I’ll never be accused of being impulsive.
    Anyway, good luck on your new adventure!!

90. Tara says:

Great question… Maybe mine would be putting more time into a new hobby (making jewelry) and visiting places I’ve been thinking about, Sedona and the Grand Canyon.

But in terms of life changes that have longer effects, taking a risk is tricky. I feel like if you are always prepared mentally, emotionally, physically, spiritually, risks are more exhilarating than nauseating. I need to work on always being prepared (on some level… or is that just an excuse?).

Thanks for sharing this story! Oh and for your life-changing recipes :-)

91. cajeta says:

Great story, thank you for sharing your new journey! You should make it over to Cake Love!

92. I would have seen it as a sign that I should have stayed in Texas… Good Luck on your new adventures! I am looking forward to more personal posts …!!! :)

93. Mallory W. says:

Hi Katie, I don’t really comment on your posts that much but I really felt compelled to commend you on your courage and ability to follow your heart and also take risks too! That’ something I really respect and am working on myself. Side note-You.Look.Absolutely.Stunning!!!! I don’t know if I’ve ever seen you look more vibrant, happy & gorgeous! Congrats on the move and your exciting new journey!

94. Lisa B says:

I haven’t taken a recent risk recently but I wanted to say that you’re awesome for doing so. And you look AMAZING!! Way to go!

95. Kim says:

the craziest thing I’ve done… Move to Hawaii…. at 18 years old I packed all my clothes into one suitcase and flew to Hawaii. I landed… got scared and made it into a one week vacation. Came home and now that I’m much older regret that decision every day!

96. Kendra says:

Katie! I grew up in DC, and I miss it, what a wonderful place to be, you will LOVE it!

97. Carrie says:

I love D.C.! Good for you! This is the time to do it!

98. Jilly says:

Katie, when you share your personal thoughts/life on your Blog – you make me teary! Live your life, gurl! :) I am 54 and retired, and still taking risks – I have a house that i cant sell and i want to move to coastal Maine – have for many yrs, so i’m going to buy a bit of land along the water instead, and put a nice shed or one of those tiny houses-on-wheels on it, so i can at least live there in the Summers. I wont be stopped! :) You look stunning – you are glowing. I wish you the best. If you ever come by NJ, I will show you a great small vegan restaurant. Good luck with your move!

99. Emily says:

You are so inspiring Katie! You are making me want to go on an adventure! I hope you find lots of loving people in DC and have so much fun exploring your new home city! You look so beautiful and glowing. Whatever you are doing, keep doing it!!!

100. Andrea says:

Congrats on the move! I moved from NY to Edmonton, AB right after I turned 18. It was terrifying, but so worth it. I won’t lie: after my first week alone, I cried for two days. I had never been alone before. It made me stronger, and I loved it so much I am now a Canadian citizen. :)

101. Nancy Kestin says:

I’m blown away by your post…I love following your blog for the great recipes you develop…
    What an inspiration you are to those of us that tend to be “set in our comfortable…not so comfortable ways. Thanks for sharing your life changes. Sometimes the biggest risk I take is to get up in the morning and try to put some life back in myself. So…your post really came at a good time. Thank you. Have a great Holiday season.

102. Shirley says:

Good for you! Live your dreams!
    Hmm, biggest risk….reupholstering my couch. Scary but fun, looks great!

103. Beth says:

KATIE you look incredible. Like a Victoria’s Secret model. Whatever you’ve been doing, keep it up!

And good luck with all of your exciting life updates—I love following your adventures through the blog. It’s always such fun to hear about the person behind the recipes :)

1. This might be my favorite comment ever.
      Thank you so much, Beth!

104. Alexis says:

Welcome to DC! I’m the same way and thus moved from CA to DC 3 years ago :). Happy to provide any recommendations, etc. and hope you’re enjoying it do far!

105. Hannah says:

You’re beautiful Katie, and very inspiring. I love how you just decided to move and followed through with it, even if it didn’t end up being where you thought it would be. Life is very exciting isn’t it? 😀 BTW–I love your more personal posts. Merry Christmas Eve!

106. I’m so glad that it worked out! I always feel like things happen for reason and it sounds like that is what happened with you. DC is great- I love the neighborhoods and how manageable the city is. I really love living here, especially considering with how easy transportation is. I hope you like it- welcome!

107. Caitlin says:

Congratulations! Have you developed an unhealthy obsession with Sweetgreen yet?! :)

1. I haven’t been yet… will have to try it!

108. Right now I’m hoping to serve a mission for my church. I don’t know where I will be sent in the world (it could be in the USA, it could be foreign, I don’t know). It’ll be exciting though. Best of luck to you on your new life!

109. jxc says:

You are awesome Katie! So you’re living in DC instead? So cool that you are able to enjoy the turns life gives you! Kudos for the courage!

110. *Andrea* says:

congrats!!!! good luck!!!!! i have a similar personality, when my mind is set on “solving” something…i just can’t quit until I figure it out! ps you look gorg

111. Isn’t life about taking risks?! I saw follow your intuition! I traveled the world for 8 years and lived in 3 countries during that time…it was hard being away from y family but I knew it was something I had to do and don’t regret ONE minute of it! It is what helped shape me into the person I am today. I firmly believe that if you follow your intuition that the universe is on your side…we too often go AGAINST our intuition and that’s when we end up having regrets! Good luck 😉

112. Lily says:

I truly believe from perhaps, not so much spiritual but more in a deep rooted karmic sense, if we listen to our intuition and we are not afraid to follow, it will take us EXACTLY where we are meant to be. =)

Oh, how exciting you are in DC now!! I reside in northern Virginia because, to live in DC is so expensive. my boyfriend however is in NY, more like around the mountains area not so much the city. I plan to move there perhaps next year, as it’s difficult with the distance and we are far apart.

But DC is so wonderful as, many events and museums are all free. Oh and recently I got addicted to the show ‘ DC cupcakes ‘ in Georgetown, and they have a vegan selection that is available daily!
    are you a model? loooove your hair!

113. Theresa says:

Congrats Katie! Welcome to my neck of the woods. Biggest risk I’ve taking lately is quit my well paying job because I knew there was something better out there. Turns out I was right because I got a great new job.

114. Alaa khaled says:

Greeting from egypt :) I’ve been following your blog for the last year or so and never thought of commenting, mainly cause i thought it unnecessary, however these couple of days i’ve been thinking a lot about living life to the fullest and exploring opportunities and what not, having my life pre-set for the coming 10 years or so as a medical student & then i read this post :) I feel a strong need to congratulate you on your courage to go through with your gut feeling more than anything else. I’ll be taking this example as something to look up to as i go through my life trying to live it to the fullest. And since i am commenting, thanks for the awesomely amazing recipes! your snicker doodle is pretty famous in my family :)

115. Suzanne Richard says:

Blessings on you for living life!!! It Only will get better. Enjoy each day . We humans live as if we have all the time in the world. When any second , it could be the last. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Happy new year !

116. I made the decision last year to move back home temporarily. While I was living at my parents house longer than I wanted, I ended up landing a dream job a year later and was able to move back out on my own. It was a huge risk but worth every moment, even the unpleasant ones.

117. JN says:

Super! So glad you are in DC. I am in DC too! Wish you all the best and please keep the blog going. You have made me into a baker (since my friend gave me your blog link 1 yr ago!) and I am now totally vegan and have not bought a store cookie or brownie!!! Wish you ALL THE BEST!

118. Kplan says:

Well, this completely ruins my plans for our marriage.

Harumph…I mean, good luck.

What neighborhood is your sister in? =]

119. Lori says:

Welcome to DC! We have an amazing vegan community here so I’m sure you will have a lot of instant new friends!
    My biggest risk was quitting a restaurant/food service career at age 39 to go to vet school. Hardest thing I have ever done – and the best.

120. Welcome to DC!! It’s the best!! I’ve been here for almost four years now and am still in love with this fabulous city!

121. Lize says:

Congratulations on your new adventure!

The biggest risk I have taken lately is to take some steps in the direction of starting a new business. Reading you post is giving me some courage that maybe I’m not as crazy as I first thought. 😉

122. Leslie says:

Congratulations! What an amazing move!

I’d love to hear about Washington’s great vegan spots, if you hunt any out! I just moved to Chapel Hill from Toronto, Canada for school in August, so Washington is road trip I hope to make someday! :)

Best of luck in 2014!!!

123. erin says:

most recent thing I’d consider risky would be going alone to university in Canada (I’m from nj), not having ever been there before and not knowing anyone there.

124. Crista says:

Congratulations!!! I always say my beautiful life was created by leaping through the windows that were opened for me :) Enjoy every moment!

125. Michelle says:

Welcome to DC! There’s lots of bike trails around here, which makes me curious as to where you live in/around DC – the trail in the picture looks a bit like one I used to live close to in Alexandria City.

126. Kelly says:

Welcome to DC! Any chance you are looking for taste testers here? My friend Jillian I are big fans of yours!

127. Jackie says:

Excellent decisions! Life is too short not to follow your heart and live as many adventures as you can. There are no wrong choices. I wish you the best of luck! I have recently done the same by following my heart and up and moving to be closer to my family. Big risk because I had a “great” job and now I am looking for another GREAT job. Will be following you on your adventure, keep up the good work! You are a life savor for someone who has a mouthful of sweet tooths that is trying to eat healthy! Love your recipes!

128. Sara says:

Omg .. you look SO healthy now! I knew that much running was no good

129. Susanne Arena says:

Good On You Katie! You don’t want miss out on any opportunities that present themselves. You are a smart girl you will make the right choices :)

130. Latisha says:

Just had to say.. Katie you look AMAZING!!

131. sammy Schroeder says:

Katie! I have been following your blog for about 4 years now, and I have always been so inspired by your vibrance and energy. I have learned soooooo much about nutrition and healthy food/lifestyle choices from you. Thanks so much for choosing to share your knowledge and sweetness so freely with everyone. Your blog is the absolute best!

Mainly, though, I am leaving this comment to compliment you on how absolutely incredible you look! Right now, you look the best you’ve ever looked (well, at least since I started reading your blog, anyway). That’s not to say that you never looked good before, because you’ve always looked beautiful and fabulous, but you are absolutely radiant and glowing right now! You just look so fantastic!

Anyway, it sounds like you’re figuring everything out in terms of where you need to live and what you need to do, and it also sounds like you’re having some some adventures along the way. Best of luck to you, and a very, very happy new year!

132. Heron Brevsk says:

I wish I was brave as you!! And as amazing of a cook/baker. Best of luck to you! xx

133. Kate says:

Hooray for change! I moved across Canada with my boyfriend, now husband, after knowing him for only four months with only what I could fit in a suitcase! Biggest risk created the biggest reward ever!

134. Mary says:

Enjoy your new place. The biggest risk I took was meeting a gentleman I met on an online dating site. This year we will celebrate 7 years of marriage and I just had DS #3.

135. carolyn says:

136. Sarah says:

Congratulations! New adventures like yours are what life is all about! You look absolutely wonderful. Best of luck to you!

137. Marla says:

I love this post. I wish you the best. I’ll pop in again some time to see how you’re doing. I was thinking lately that making plans is not the best way to live, but you have a balance here, it seems from what you wrote: letting life happen and having plans/dreams. I guess balance is almost always a good thing. Anyway this post seemed like a really, really good story, not just someone’s life. Who knows how often that’s the case and we just don’t know it, either we can’t see it in our own stories, or the stories simply go untold. It’s all good, though. Once more, best wishes (and love).

138. Angela Hevron says:

The biggest risk I have taken recently is moving to Daejeon, South Korea to teach English for a year. It’s been great!
    Gig ‘Em Teacher

139. longtimelurker says:

Honey you look great! I hope you’re feeling that way soon again too! Take care, x

140. Lauren S says:

you just look so NICE i want to give you a hug!!!!!!!

141. Valeria Swartz-Diaz says:

Congrats on your move! I live in DC, too, off of Georgia Avenue. There are so many amazing, vegan/vegetarian restaurants from every culture in this area. I am new to your blog, but have gotten quickly addicted! If you have any questions about the area, you can email me I’m about to be done with college and feel like we are in the same boat! Once again, congrats and enjoy the spontaneity while you’re young :)!

142. Welcome to DC! You must try Sticky Fingers Bakery – awesome vegan cupcakes, donuts (!!), and food!

143. Mandy says:

Congrats Katie. You have been very successful. I hope that you continue to grow into the beautiful woman that your passion shows you are capable of. Turning your demons into your dreams is the ultimate success. Trust me, I know.

144. Trish Bakes says:

Just wanted to comment on how RADIANT you look! You’ve always looked healthy with your beautiful hair and clear skin, but the curves look really sexy. 😉 Not that a woman should be judged by having curves or a lack thereof, but they suit you well. And congrats on the transition to D.C. I knew IMMEDIATELY I wanted to live there back in 2009 when I visited. Those amazing townhomes just outside of downtown, all lined in charming perfection…yup. I’d love to call one of them home someday. At least for a while.

145. Sarah says:

I hope you like DC! I moved here in July and count that as my most recent risk. :) Enjoy the sights and good luck finding your furniture.

146. Mick says:

How much is your rent? I pay $450 in Las Vegas for a large 1 bedroom.

147. Natalie says:

Just started following your blog and came across this post :).

My biggest risk was moving from my hometown in Florida up to NJ to be with a boy that I met that lived there. He flew down and we packed up my car and drove it up together. Now, 9 years later, we are married with two kids and live all the way in California! Life is crazy :)

148. Kimberly says:

Thanks for the neat info about yourself. I appreciate healthy deserts because of the havoc that sugar does to one’s body and immune system. I’m always cutting back on sugar, and using coconut oil for most desert recipes I find, so was glad to find your blog. So, did you finally move to New York? It looks like you did, but you really didn’t say – but the picture looks like perhaps you did! :) Your a beautiful gal, keep up the great work!!

149. KimHop224 says:

I started a healthy lifestyle and fitness journey just a few months ago, and since then I have stumbled across you blog and now own your book. THIS blog describes who I am to a “T”. From deciding to go back to college after my mom died, to deciding to be a single mom AND still work FT while going to school FT. I took 2 weeks off for baby #1, 2 days off to get married, 1 week off for baby #2, immediately pursued a Master’s degree that I completed in under 3 years. Yes, I completed a bachelor’s degree and master’s degree while working full time, having 2 kids, and getting married. My biggest and most recent *risk* was leaving a full-time permanent role to take a 2 year contract role. I am only a few months in (as is my fitness journey), but I can honestly say it was the RIGHT choice for me and my family. Gone are the days of 50-70 hour work weeks, the stress, the lack of work/life balance, the sleepless nights, and the mood swings & anger. Gone are the days of no motivation and sitting on the couch as well as the days of eating everything on the *not good* list and ignoring the existence of *healthy options*. So, with risk comes change, and with change can come happiness you didn’t know existed. By the way, of the recipes I have already made for my family, I have the approval from my picky eating youngest and diabetic husband. THANK YOU!!!