Red Velvet Brownies

Red Velvet Brownies... NO food coloring required! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/05/09/red-velvet-brownies/

I am one of those people who initially resists change.

But when I finally dip my toe into the water am thrown into the water against my will, I swim with a vengeance, making up for lost time. Thus was the case when I first joined facebook (a year after everyone else), when I got an iphone (three years after everyone else), and now with my newfound love of Instagram.

(You can find my page here: Chocolate Covered Katie – Instagram)

Healthy Red Velvet Brownies... NO food coloring! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/05/09/red-velvet-brownies/

Anyway, on to the brownies…

These stunning red velvet brownies are the creation of one of my new Instagram friends, Lola Cooks on Instagram. (If you have instagram, be sure to check out her page and follow along with her beautiful creations!) Naturally red, the fudgy beet brownies have no artificial ingredients and are packed with healthy superfood ingredients. I’m honored to have Laura as my guest today, sharing her incredible healthy red velvet brownies:

Fudgy Chocolate Beet Brownies: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/05/09/red-velvet-brownies/

Print This Recipe 5/5
5/51

Ingredients

• 2 1/4 cup oats
  • 1/2 large cooked beetroot
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
  • 1/3 cup milk of choice, plus more if needed
  • 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or veg oil
  • 1/2 can black beans (about 1/2 cup) drained and rinsed (can sub with garbanzo)
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips, plus more if desired
Total Time: 40m

Instructions

Red Velvet Brownies Recipe: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a food processor or high powered blender, blend the oats, cacao powder, salt, and baking powder until they have formed a “flour.” Next, add in the milk of choice, vanilla extract, oil, and maple syrup, and blend until fully combined. Lastly, add in the cooked beetroot and the beans and blend until the mixture has formed a thick batter (the texture of brownie batter – add milk if needed). Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into a small brownie pan (preferably one half the size of a 13×9 pan) lined with parchment paper. Smooth the top with a spatula and sprinkle more chocolate chips on top if desired. Bake in the oven for 22-25 minutes or until the top is fully cooked. To check if it is fully cooked, insert a toothpick into the brownies. If it comes out clean, the brownies are ready. If there is batter on the toothpick, bake the brownies for 5-10 more minutes or until fully cooked. Let cool for 15 minutes, slice, and enjoy! If you have any questions about the recipe, please feel free to ask its creator: LolaCooks. Please note that, depending on where you are in the world and what type of beets you find, some readers have found that their brownies are not quite as vibrantly pink as Lola’s.

*View Brownies Nutrition Facts*

Blue Velvet Cupcakes: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/05/16/blue-velvet-cupcakes/

LINK OF THE DAY: Blue Velvet Cupcakes

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. What a great color! I love it!

2. The Beet strikes again! Loving the colour of these, I can only imagine how amazingly soft and scrumptious these must be *dreams on*
    Have a lovely weekend Katie! xx

3. Those are gorgeous Katie! I think I am love with these new pink brownies. Thanks for sharing.

4. Allie says:

I am going to go check out her Instagram page RIGHT NOW! Such a great guest post, definitely want to make these!

5. These look like great airy brownies. When you say to use a pan half the size of a 9×13, do you just mean an 8×8? Half a 9×13 pan would be about 58in2, so an 8×8 would be close.

6. Amazing colour! I love using beets for red velvet cake. These brownies might be great with some home made raspberry ice cream. Thanks for sharing your new friend :)

7. Nancy says:

It’s funny to see the posts about the color….my first reaction was “gross color.” I am sure they taste amazing. Will have to cover with Katie’s healthy cream cheese frosting…

8. tyler says:

How do you cook the beet?

9. Aimee B. says:

These look amazing! I don’t have an Instagram account and don’t want one, so I’m going to ask a question here, and hope someone can help me. What is the final measurement of the 1/2 of a large cooked beet? A 1/2 c., a cup??? Thanks in advance!

10. EVA says:

Don’t worry, I’m 18, never had a Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, just got my first smartphone last month….I’m WAY behind the times! But I’m old skool anyways, so it doesn’t bother me.

Is it weird I’ve never had red velvet anything? These brownies look so deliciously gooey in the second picture that I’m totally investing in some beets as soon as I move back in home from college. A great guest-recipe choice!

1. Aimee B. says:

Thanks! Good to know I’m not alone. I’m old school too. :) I’m going to be 45 this year and I’ve never had a cell phone, lol!

1. EVA says:

Oh my gosh, you rock!

1. Aimee B. says:

Aww, thank you! Right back at ya! <3

11. Allison says:

How to you cook beet root? Could regular cooked beets (not root) be used? If so, how do you cook beets? I see lots of recipes that require this and I have no idea!

1. Amber says:

I have never actually baked with beets yet, but I can tell you how to cook them and how I will when I can make this recipe! I wash the beets, rub a touch of olive oil on the outside, wrap them in a foil pouch with some room for air inside, and bake them between 375-400 for 50-60 minutes. I give a range because I usually put them in while I am cooking something else. So longer for the lower temp, etc. Then I let them cool and when I can hold them, the outside just peels right off without a knife!

1. Moyne says:

What a great idea to just pop a few in when you’re baking potatoes. Then, you could have some on hand in the freezer for recipes like this!

12. Love the color of the brownies!

13. Christine Whittington says:

Intriguing! Of course, we eat cake with carrots (similar to beets) and peanuts or peanut butter (legumes like black beans) in it all the time. I wonder if you can use baby food beets instead of cooking a beet? I’m sure you could use canned beets.

14. Karen Landa says:

Hi, I’d love to make these Red Velvet Brownies, but am totally unable to tolerate even gluten-free oats. What can I use as a substitute for the oats in this recipe? Can I use Quinoa flakes?

1. Emilylovesraisins says:

You can probably sub a scant 1 3/4 cup flour of choice (probably not coconut flour), since you grind the oats into a flour anyways. Don’t quote me, but I’ve done something very similar and it worked :)

15. Sophia says:

Hey, I just love your website!! :) Thanks for such great recipes. The main reason I like it so well is because its usually easy to adapt your recipes to my family’s (and me!) way of eating. You should check it out (don’t know if you have ever heard of it). http://www.trimhealthymama.com/
    It would be so awesome if you could put a substitutions list for people who do Trim Healthy Mama on your recipes. It is a very popular way of eating, so a lot of people would probably find it helpful.
    One of your recipes was featured on http://capallequinephotographyandtraining.blogspot.com/ Have you ever heard of her website?
    Anyhoo! :) I was wondering if I could use almond meal and coconut flour in place of the oats and 12 tsp. of Truvia mixed with 3-4 Tbs. of water in place of the maple syrup. Do you think this would work?

16. Hollie says:

Red velvet is my favorite dessert so I always love seeing these recipes pop up on my reader. Thanks for sharing!

17. Hello Katie ! i wanted to say a big thank you because you are so beautifu and amazing your recipes had helped me a lot ! and inspire me to make a healthy recipes ! my instagram is @pb_queen and if you see it i am recoverin from an eating disorder and your so yummy and healthy recipes had helped me a lot to lose the fear of eating and that i can enjoy delicious food without feeling guilty :) it would make me so happy if you could follow me there it will mean a lot for me ! also i want to start doing like a healthy recipe blog there do you have any advice hehe sorry if i bother you ! i love you so much and i wanted to say that you are such an amaizzing and beautiful person ! i love you so much ! and it would mean so much if you could check out my instagram and follow me because i love you so much and it would motivate me a lot to keep moving forward in my journey and beat my fears ! katie i dont know how to say in words how much i love you and that you are a truly role model for me ! i love you so much and i hope that your life will be full of blesings ! love you so much and i hope we can talk soon again ! with loads of love Paula Bustamante :)

18. Steph says:

Yum! These look absolutely stunning! I LOVE the colour! Beetroot is such a fabulous thing!

19. mochi says:

I like to use beetroot for food colouring as well, what a nice brownies!

20. These look too pretty eat!!! I’m made my fair share of healthy brownies my have yet to try beetroot….I might just do so now! We kids love these (so I’m sure they’ll love yours…and not notice that they’re GOOD for them!):