Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Red Velvet Brownies

Red Velvet Brownies... NO food coloring required!

I am one of those people who initially resists change.

But when I finally dip my toe into the water am thrown into the water against my will, I swim with a vengeance, making up for lost time. Thus was the case when I first joined facebook (a year after everyone else), when I got an iphone (three years after everyone else), and now with my newfound love of Instagram.

(You can find my page here: Chocolate Covered Katie – Instagram)

Healthy Red Velvet Brownies... NO food coloring!

Anyway, on to the brownies…

These stunning red velvet brownies are the creation of one of my new Instagram friends, Lola Cooks on Instagram. (If you have instagram, be sure to check out her page and follow along with her beautiful creations!) Naturally red, the fudgy beet brownies have no artificial ingredients and are packed with healthy superfood ingredients. I’m honored to have Laura as my guest today, sharing her incredible healthy red velvet brownies:

Fudgy Chocolate Beet Brownies:

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

• 2 1/4 cup oats
  • 1/2 large cooked beetroot
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder
  • 1/3 cup milk of choice, plus more if needed
  • 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or veg oil
  • 1/2 can black beans (about 1/2 cup) drained and rinsed (can sub with garbanzo)
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips, plus more if desired
Total Time: 40m

Red Velvet Brownies Recipe: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a food processor or high powered blender, blend the oats, cacao powder, salt, and baking powder until they have formed a “flour.” Next, add in the milk of choice, vanilla extract, oil, and maple syrup, and blend until fully combined. Lastly, add in the cooked beetroot and the beans and blend until the mixture has formed a thick batter (the texture of brownie batter – add milk if needed). Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into a small brownie pan (preferably one half the size of a 13×9 pan) lined with parchment paper. Smooth the top with a spatula and sprinkle more chocolate chips on top if desired. Bake in the oven for 22-25 minutes or until the top is fully cooked. To check if it is fully cooked, insert a toothpick into the brownies. If it comes out clean, the brownies are ready. If there is batter on the toothpick, bake the brownies for 5-10 more minutes or until fully cooked. Let cool for 15 minutes, slice, and enjoy! If you have any questions about the recipe, please feel free to ask its creator: LolaCooks. Please note that, depending on where you are in the world and what type of beets you find, some readers have found that their brownies are not quite as vibrantly pink as Lola’s.

*View Brownies Nutrition Facts*

Blue Velvet Cupcakes:

LINK OF THE DAY: Blue Velvet Cupcakes

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. What a great color! I love it!

2. The Beet strikes again! Loving the colour of these, I can only imagine how amazingly soft and scrumptious these must be *dreams on*
    Have a lovely weekend Katie! xx

3. Those are gorgeous Katie! I think I am love with these new pink brownies. Thanks for sharing.

4. Allie says:

I am going to go check out her Instagram page RIGHT NOW! Such a great guest post, definitely want to make these!

5. These look like great airy brownies. When you say to use a pan half the size of a 9×13, do you just mean an 8×8? Half a 9×13 pan would be about 58in2, so an 8×8 would be close.

6. Amazing colour! I love using beets for red velvet cake. These brownies might be great with some home made raspberry ice cream. Thanks for sharing your new friend :)

7. Nancy says:

It’s funny to see the posts about the color….my first reaction was “gross color.” I am sure they taste amazing. Will have to cover with Katie’s healthy cream cheese frosting…

8. tyler says:

How do you cook the beet?

9. Aimee B. says:

These look amazing! I don’t have an Instagram account and don’t want one, so I’m going to ask a question here, and hope someone can help me. What is the final measurement of the 1/2 of a large cooked beet? A 1/2 c., a cup??? Thanks in advance!

10. EVA says:

Don’t worry, I’m 18, never had a Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, just got my first smartphone last month….I’m WAY behind the times! But I’m old skool anyways, so it doesn’t bother me.

Is it weird I’ve never had red velvet anything? These brownies look so deliciously gooey in the second picture that I’m totally investing in some beets as soon as I move back in home from college. A great guest-recipe choice!

1. Aimee B. says:

Thanks! Good to know I’m not alone. I’m old school too. :) I’m going to be 45 this year and I’ve never had a cell phone, lol!

1. EVA says:

Oh my gosh, you rock!

2. Aimee B. says:

Aww, thank you! Right back at ya! <3

11. Allison says:

How to you cook beet root? Could regular cooked beets (not root) be used? If so, how do you cook beets? I see lots of recipes that require this and I have no idea!

1. Amber says:

I have never actually baked with beets yet, but I can tell you how to cook them and how I will when I can make this recipe! I wash the beets, rub a touch of olive oil on the outside, wrap them in a foil pouch with some room for air inside, and bake them between 375-400 for 50-60 minutes. I give a range because I usually put them in while I am cooking something else. So longer for the lower temp, etc. Then I let them cool and when I can hold them, the outside just peels right off without a knife!

1. Moyne says:

What a great idea to just pop a few in when you’re baking potatoes. Then, you could have some on hand in the freezer for recipes like this!

12. Love the color of the brownies!

13. Christine Whittington says:

Intriguing! Of course, we eat cake with carrots (similar to beets) and peanuts or peanut butter (legumes like black beans) in it all the time. I wonder if you can use baby food beets instead of cooking a beet? I’m sure you could use canned beets.

14. Karen Landa says:

Hi, I’d love to make these Red Velvet Brownies, but am totally unable to tolerate even gluten-free oats. What can I use as a substitute for the oats in this recipe? Can I use Quinoa flakes?

1. Emilylovesraisins says:

You can probably sub a scant 1 3/4 cup flour of choice (probably not coconut flour), since you grind the oats into a flour anyways. Don’t quote me, but I’ve done something very similar and it worked :)

15. Sophia says:

Hey, I just love your website!! :) Thanks for such great recipes. The main reason I like it so well is because its usually easy to adapt your recipes to my family’s (and me!) way of eating. You should check it out (don’t know if you have ever heard of it).
    It would be so awesome if you could put a substitutions list for people who do Trim Healthy Mama on your recipes. It is a very popular way of eating, so a lot of people would probably find it helpful.
    One of your recipes was featured on Have you ever heard of her website?
    Anyhoo! :) I was wondering if I could use almond meal and coconut flour in place of the oats and 12 tsp. of Truvia mixed with 3-4 Tbs. of water in place of the maple syrup. Do you think this would work?

16. Hollie says:

Red velvet is my favorite dessert so I always love seeing these recipes pop up on my reader. Thanks for sharing!

17. Hello Katie ! i wanted to say a big thank you because you are so beautifu and amazing your recipes had helped me a lot ! and inspire me to make a healthy recipes ! my instagram is @pb_queen and if you see it i am recoverin from an eating disorder and your so yummy and healthy recipes had helped me a lot to lose the fear of eating and that i can enjoy delicious food without feeling guilty :) it would make me so happy if you could follow me there it will mean a lot for me ! also i want to start doing like a healthy recipe blog there do you have any advice hehe sorry if i bother you ! i love you so much and i wanted to say that you are such an amaizzing and beautiful person ! i love you so much ! and it would mean so much if you could check out my instagram and follow me because i love you so much and it would motivate me a lot to keep moving forward in my journey and beat my fears ! katie i dont know how to say in words how much i love you and that you are a truly role model for me ! i love you so much and i hope that your life will be full of blesings ! love you so much and i hope we can talk soon again ! with loads of love Paula Bustamante :)

18. Steph says:

Yum! These look absolutely stunning! I LOVE the colour! Beetroot is such a fabulous thing!

19. mochi says:

I like to use beetroot for food colouring as well, what a nice brownies!

20. These look too pretty eat!!! I’m made my fair share of healthy brownies my have yet to try beetroot….I might just do so now! We kids love these (so I’m sure they’ll love yours…and not notice that they’re GOOD for them!):

21. Shonalika says:

Oh my word, these are STUNNING. If I ever needed a reason to finally try beets in recipes, this is it. This is going to be the next desert recipe I make, and doubtless after that I’ll be a complete and devoted beetroot convert. <3

22. You never cease to amaze! They are the cutest brownies I have ever seen! <3

23. Rae says:

May I know what type of oats I’m supposed to luse? 😉

24. Dana says:

Hi there – I just tried to make these after admiring them on @lolacooks for weeks. But the “batter” was incredibly dry. I triple checked and I used all the right amounts of ingredients – what do you think went wrong?

Thanks for the help!

25. Beets are so awesome! Love this recipe :)

26. Kayla says:

This looks amazing! I love the pink color :)

27. Rae says:

What type of oats is it? :) Not sure if my comment got in yesterday :/

1. Michelle says:

I would guess that you can use either old fashioned rolled oats or quick oats. It shouldn’t matter since they will just be ground up in the food processor anyway.

28. Ali F says:

I reached out to Lola as well for this answer, but I haven’t heard back yet so I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask you both. I made these yesterday and while they were tasty, the were not red (& a little dry). Any idea what the measurement for the 1/2 large beet would be? I’m guessing I could probably add more beets to get the color/texture I’m looking for, but I want to make sure that I don’t over add next time. Thanks!

29. j oliver says:

how many baby beets (cooked & packaged from trader joes) can you sub for the 1/2 cooked beet root?

30. Shannon C says:

Thanks for the recipe! I made these this morning to take to work. Of course I’ve probably consumed 1/5 [okay, omit “probably”] of the brownies by myself. I love the dense texture and beautiful color. I used garbanzo beans to have a lighter, more vibrant red. I also added white chocolate chips [not vegan!] instead of dark chocolate. Next time I think I’ll omit the chips and top them with vegan cashew cream cheese icing. I found the texture pretty dry so I ended up adding more almond milk. Also, in the directions there is no reference to the 1/4 tsp of salt. And it would be helpful if the ingredients were listed in the same order that they are referred to in the directions. Other than that, awesome recipe. I might be picking up more ingredients to make these again before the week is up.

31. LOVE THIS! I’m now a big fan of using beetroots in baking, they’re ideal for natural colouring and they add a sneaky dose of health to my baked goods. Aside from cakes, risotto and juices, I just can’t stomach beetroot.

32. Kimberly says:

Help! I just made these and mine didn’t turn out pink:) They are super tasty & chewy, but definitely not pink! Should I have used chick peas instead of the black beans? Thanks for any advice! Great guest recipe, but I figured it would be because every recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie is delicious!

33. Shanna says:

Katie do you ever submit your recipes to I follow your blog, and I follow findingvegan and I feel like I’ve never seen you on there. It’s an amazing site.

34. jacquee says:

I commented on FB yesterday and commented on the email, but failed to comment on this page. Hopefully I’m not too late. I need a vitamix as my bullet (used several times s day), is on it’s last leg! I LUV, LUV, LUV your recipes and go yo them every day. You are s tock star and super sweet. Thank you for all that you put into this site and all that you give to your loyal readers. :-)

Jacquee, a frequently hungry and very satisfied reader :-)

35. sophie says:

I tried making those the other day and I was trying to go for the color they had in the picture but it didn’t work… It was slightly red-ish but still brown (from the cocoa powder). Initially I had added 1 small boiled beetroot but it wasn’t red so I added another 2 small beetroots but they still refused to turn red or even purple. Although they did taste quite good. I was also wondering if you can sub maple syrup with a few dates and stevia? Thanks!

36. Isabel says:

These were really “healthy” tasting according to my family. I liked them, but I think they could have been a little more chocolate-y. Maybe adding more cocoa powder (and sweetener to match) would make these even more brownie-like!

37. Laura Cardinal says:

I loved these brownies but when i made them but the color was not the same in the picture and they were just barely pink but more of a brown color. how did you get them to be this color

38. Audrey Vitamine says:

Hello Katie,

This is my first comment here. I love so much your site Katie ! and of course all of your recipes, so yummy and healthy.
    I just wanted to give my experience with this recipe, probably because this one didn’t turn well.
    I did it yesterday and the brownie didn’t turn out pink. My brownie was light brown. I used chick peas and the right amount of chocolate. I think it’s very disappointing. Maybe Lola could tell us the exact measurment for the beetroot ?
    I think the color is a huge part of the attractiveness for the recipe. 😉
    The batter was very dry so I had to add more water/almond milk.
    I know that all of your recipes are very precise. I think that Lola should make adjustment to the recipe. So everyone can have the same result.
    I found that the brownie wasn’t sweet enough but it’s probably a question of taste.
    On her instagram I can notice that she came with 3 different recipes and a lot of difference between them…

I’m sorry for my approximative English. I’m french.

Have a lovely day

Audrey :)

I’m sorry for my English.
    But I had to

39. Kayla J. says:

Made these today, they are delicious! I used honey instead of the syrup and they came out great. Only problem is I was looking forward to the bright color and mine came out looking like a pretty dark brown-reddish color. It was pretty thick when I mixed it and I needed double the milk, so I may have not used enough beet in the recipe… I may have to try the recipe again next week with more beet… dang it. 😛

40. @youreashy says:

I just made these and they are not even slightly red. They are moist because I added more milk but it’s the same color I expect regular brownies to be

What caused this problem? Lola made them several times and they are always red/purple

1. Paulina says:

Hey, can I sub the beans for more beets? to make them more colorful?

41. payal says:

can i substitute maple syrup with honey?

42. mireya says:

since i’m enjoying the regular recipe a lot I will be making this as soon as I get home jejej

43. maddie says:

Was so excited to make these and have a soft little treat I could enjoy post-oral surgery — what a bummer! These were so gummy that my vitamix gave out temporarily as it almost overheated. I baked up the gluey mess anyway and sure enough they look and taste like baked paste. Seems like an excessive amount of oats in retrospect. Waste of time/ingredients :-/

44. Michelle says:

I just made these, but used honey because we had somehow run out of maple syrup. I found the taste to be a bit funky at first, but upon doing further research (cramming more in my face), I have come to really like it! Only one thing I’d change.. it needs MORE CHOCOLATE! These are fabulous, though. Thanks so much for sharing!

45. 넬리 says:

I followed this recipe almost to the T and they turned out wonderful, thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I used Sunspire white chocolate chips (because I needed to use them up) but next time would use regular dark chips or maybe cacao nibs. I look forward to making these again, going to try homemade date syrup instead of maple and possibly find out what happens if I throw an egg in there, since I don’t follow a vegan diet. 😀 Thanks again, love your blog!

46. FM says:

I was really enthusiastic to try out this recipe for Christmas 2014 since I love every “red velvet” anything :)
    Since I live in Europe I had to convert the U.S. cooking units to metric kitchen units – but that was not a problem since this can be done on many websites.
    I must say that I’m quite disappointed of the outcome, here are the reasons why. Firstly, the brownies were nothing close to being red or pink (ish) although I used the amount of beetroot indicated. Also the brownies’ texture was quite “gummy”. Lastly, me and also my tasters found that the brownies didn’t have any specific taste at all, they just tasted well tasteless.
    Im really sad of the outcome, however, I will give another recipe from the website a shot since I’m really excited that all the recipes are much healthier compared to conventional baking.

47. Karrie Mack says:

What do you mean by 1/2 a cooked beetroot? Like take a cooked beet and cut it in half.

48. Christine says:

I loved this idea and tried making these yesterday. I followed it exactly with the acceptance of using an 8×8 pan and baking it for 22 minutes. However, these came out dry, shallow, and bitter. These pictures made them look softer, fluffier, and fudgier! Don’t know why mine didn’t turn out the same.
    One thing I’d change if I made these again, use an even smaller pan and bake for less time.