Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

FAQ

On this FAQ page, I’m answering all the questions readers often ask. If you still have a question, please feel free to leave a comment!

Chocolate Covered Katie Pancakes

I post new healthy recipes on the blog every Monday and Thursday.

Often, readers will prefer to get the recipes as an email because it lets them not have to keep checking back.

If you want to be included on that list, simply click on the following link, then just be sure to verify when it asks!

Get FREE healthy recipes in your inbox

Health and Diet

Can you share what you eat in a day? Do you ever eat unhealthy foods?

While every day is different, here is an example of What I Eat In A Day.

I strive for variety and try to make sure my meals are balanced, but I don’t stress about it and will never eat a food I dislike just because it’s healthy. Worrying about eating a “perfect” diet seems more detrimental to one’s health than consuming a few grams of trans fat or white flour every now and then.

The foods I crave are usually pretty healthy; however if I’m out with friends, on vacation, or someone surprises me with a not-healthy-in-the-slightest homemade baked good, I’m fine with indulging. Growing up in a big Italian family, food has always been a huge part of my life, and I don’t believe negative feelings like guilt should ever be associated with something that can bring so much enjoyment.

Are you anorexic?

Ugh. I’m not, but I am acutely aware that it’s a suggested search term if you google my blog name, which is why I wrote the following post: Chocolate Covered Katie Anorexic?

Many of your recipes are extremely low in calories. Why is that?

I try to make my recipes relevant for as many people as possible, and I know that many of my readers are watching their weight or cooking for themselves or a loved one who needs recipes that are lower in calories, fat, or sugar.

If I’m cooking just for me, I don’t really ever use xylitol, stevia, or the lower-fat options given in my recipes; these variations are included so that people can make the recipes to fit their own dietary needs. It’s also why I try to include gluten-free options as much as possible and test each recipe with different sweeteners and flours.

Running/Exercise

Do you run every day?

I’ve gone through periods of time where I’ve run too much and where I’ve not run at all, and finally I found a good balance. For more on my relationship with running, see the following post: Why I Gave Up Running.

What other exercise do you get?

I walk pretty much everywhere. Once in a while, a friend will drag me to an exercise class or the gym; but it’s not a regular thing, and I’ve taken exactly zero Soul Cycle classes in my life.

Katie

Do you have a job?

Yes – here is a post on How I Started Blogging Full-Time.

Can you share your stats? How much do you weigh?

I am 5’5 (okay fine, 5’4 and a half). I don’t own a scale.

You mention you’ve lived all over the world. Where exactly have you lived?

I was born in England and have also lived in Philadelphia, Japan, China, The Philippines, Texas, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. Where should I go next?

Photography

What camera do you use?

Most of the earlier photos on the blog were taken with a Canon Rebel. In late 2016, I switched over to a Canon 5D Mark III. My go-to lens is the 100mm f/2.8L Macro.

Have you taken any photography classes? What tips do you have for someone who wants to take better photos?

Everything I know comes from observation and practice. My biggest tip to readers who want to improve their photos is to practice as much as you can. Read photography books and the manual that comes with your camera, and learn the meaning of terms like “ISO,” “shutter speed,” and “f stop.”

Browse photography forums whenever you have questions. Don’t get discouraged if your photos look awful in the beginning. (Mine did!) Becoming a good photographer isn’t something that happens overnight.

chocolate covered katie

Blogging

Do you have advice for other bloggers?

Here are all my posts tagged: How To Write A Food Blog.

What’s your favorite recipe on the blog?

Not surprisingly, I am partial to the recipes that include chocolate, such as the chocolate pie, brownies, and pudding cake. I also really love ice cream, especially the Chocolate Peanut Butter Nice Cream or the pistachio ice cream recipe in my cookbook.

The definite reader favorites are the Chickpea Cookie Dough Dip and the Black Bean Brownies. More reader favorites can be found on the right sidebar of the blog!

Can I post one of your recipes on my own blog? Can I use your photos?

I’m ridiculously happy when someone tries one of my recipes. I only ask that you link back to the recipe instead of posting it on your site unless you’ve made major changes, because I have big plans for some of the recipes. But as long as they’re credited, please feel free to use any of my photos.

Is this a vegan blog?

Although all of the recipes on this blog can be suitable for vegans as long as you choose nondairy options for ingredients such as milk of choice, I would guess that most of my readers are not vegans; they’re simply people who enjoy delicious desserts and want healthier versions of their favorite recipes.

Most of my friends who test the recipes are not vegan or vegetarian, and I especially try to get friends who aren’t into healthy food to give me feedback… because if a recipe gets their seal of approval, I know it’s good!

Final Questions:

Is there a way I can get your recipes by email?

Yes, you can click here: Get FREE healthy dessert recipes delivered to your inbox.

If you sign up, you will get only my new recipe posts, never any annoying advertisements.

How can I contact you?

I receive hundreds of questions each day, so please be patient with me as I try my hardest to respond to as many as possible! Here are links to the CCK Facebook Page and Pinterest Page. You can also reach out my media team at chocolatecoveredmedia at gmail dot com. Or leave a comment on any one of my blog posts.

Do you really eat chocolate every day?

Every single day. Usually at least twice.

Reader Interactions

1229 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Nikki says

Hi Katie,
    I love your recipes and ideas, they have really changed the way I eat. I have recently changed my life totally by losing 111 pounds and exercising like crazy. I walk 5-8 miles a day and do yoga and weightlifting. In my journey to become healthy I started to eat mainly vegetarian although I do eat eggs and cheese, I mainly eat fruits and veggies…..and of course CHOCOLATE. I am getting used to the idea of eating healthy fats like avocado and coconut products. So my question is I know you exercise and eat very healthy. Are you hungry all the time? I find that I am hungry about every 2 hours and it seems like all I do is eat. Is this norma? I exercise 2-3 hours a day. Any thoughts? Thanks!

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

I am hungry quite often, probably because I’m burning a lot of calories by being active. I think that as long as your weight is healthy now, it’s probably not a problem that you’re eating so much! Your metabolism is probably just high ;). (If, however, you’re gaining unwanted weight from eating so often, maybe consult a doctor or nutritionist?)

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

• Jenn says

I’m no expert, but I am also currently losing weight, but I haven’t been hungry – it has been awesome! What really worked for me is a low carb, high fat, high protein diet, with lots of leafy greens and non-starchy veggies. When your body is getting what it needs at mealtimes, the cravings and urges to snack go away, and you can eat heartily, never with any fear or guilt, whenever you feel hungry. It has been life-changing. Now, when I occasionally feel like something sweet (hormones totally make me crave carbs!), I find that “junk food” (highly processed cookies, chips, etc) just don’t taste good. I now prefer rich ice creams (Costco makes this Almond Toffee Caramel one that is super sweet, but so perfectly creamy and crunchy! It makes me sad that they don’t always have it stocked.) and solid chocolate to cookies, but when I do enjoy sweets, I avoid low fat or fake sugar versions, since I find those just leave me wanting more empty/negative foods. I read both of Gary Taubes books (Why We Get Fat & Good Calories, Bad Calories), and they were incredibly educational, and helped me not be at war with food anymore.

Katie, you have said before that you are vegan for ethical reasons. Since you use a lot of sugar substitutes in your recipes, I was wondering what other “food rules” you follow for yourself, other than avoiding animal products. I recently just redefined how I would feed my family, so I’m always interested in what food rules other people keep for themselves. I know your substitutes could just be for your readers, but since most alternative sugars make me feel awful, I figured you might have a similar reaction, since you are so careful with what you eat!

• Jenn says

2. Nikki says

Hi Katie,

3. ennaejay says

Katie,
    I’m overcoming some health issues and am currently undergoing the transformation to become vegan! I found Char’s Kitchen, Hungry Hippie, and Oh She Glows — Do you have any other sites, recommendations, or favorite resources for other vegans (or people interested in becoming vegan)? I’m doing a ton of reading, but it’d be cool to know if you have any insights too!

TIA! You rock my face off! 😀

4. ennaejay says

Katie,

TIA! You rock my face off! 😀

5. Debbie says

I’m just curious, as you’re originally from England, do you have ANY idea where I can buy good quality products including stuff you like to use. Unfortunately most of the forums and what not that I read are American and struggle to find some items. Also do you use your Vitamix a lot? You always seem to be using the Magic Bullet? I love my VM but I’m worried that recipes are too small quantity wise to use in it.

You’re a great inspiration!

6. Debbie says

You’re a great inspiration!

7. BeccaG says

I am curious…is it possible for you to adapt this to be a vegan recipe? Mainly just wondering how to get a good consistency without using 4 eggs (almond milk perhaps?) and I don’t want that much butter either for calorie intake.

Thanks! Love your recipes!!!

Pumpkin Waffles
    by Barbara Beck

2 cups flour
    2 tablespoons baking powder
    1 tablespoon cinnamon
    1 tablespoon sugar
    ½ teaspoon nutmeg
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    4 eggs (separate yolks from the whites)
    1 ½ cup milk
    1 cup pure canned pumpkin
    ¾ cup (12 tablespoons) butter, melted
    1 tablespoon vanilla

Directions:
    In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.

Next, separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. *If you have a stand mixer, you can start beating your egg whites while you prepare the rest of the batter (or just beat them later with a hand mixer). Beat egg whites until they form peaks. Reserve for later.

In a separate bowl, add the egg yolks, milk, pumpkin, melted butter, and vanilla. Mix until combined. Add the dry mixture slowly until incorporated using a mixer.

If you haven’t already, take the egg whites and beat with a mixer until they form peaks. Fold beaten egg whites gently into the pumpkin batter. Spray waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour batter into waffle iron and cook according to waffle iron instructions. Makes around 8 Belgian waffles.

8. BeccaG says

Thanks! Love your recipes!!!

Pumpkin Waffles
    by Barbara Beck

2 cups flour
    2 tablespoons baking powder
    1 tablespoon cinnamon
    1 tablespoon sugar
    ½ teaspoon nutmeg
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    4 eggs (separate yolks from the whites)
    1 ½ cup milk
    1 cup pure canned pumpkin
    ¾ cup (12 tablespoons) butter, melted
    1 tablespoon vanilla

Directions:

9. Jules says

hey CCK! so alot of your recipes have stevia as the sweetener, but you wrote in parenthesis that you can use regular white sugar..but I read that stevia is 100 times sweeter than regular sugar -and realized thats why the recipes call for a few tablespoons- but anyway, if i were to substitute with regular sugar, would I only use a few tablespoons of sugar or like around half a cup of regular for every tablespoon of stevia or… ? ahhh help!!!

10. Jules says

11. Debbie says

Ooh. I thought of something else. What sort of chocolate sauce do you use? A lot of your photos show decadent dribbling of saucy goodness. Do you have a favourite or recommendation? Also do you have any idea where I can buy the Barleans chocolate silk you mentioned a while back in the UK?

Thanks

12. Debbie says

Thanks

13. Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee says

Hi, I just wanted to say that I really love your blog, and that I was wondering if I could please have your permission for something. In a few days I’m doing a post on National Pretzel Day and I want to link to your no bake peanut butter pretzel bars recipe (I’ll definitely give you credit!) May I please use your photo from that recipe’s post? Please let me know as soon as possible. Thanks!

14. Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee says

15. Danielle Shields says

I’ve requested a food processor for mother’s day specifically so that I can make your cookie dough dips! I’ve seen the Magic Bullet in some of your posts. Do you prefer the Magic Bullet, or a traditional processor?

16. Danielle Shields says

17. Brenda says

Hi Katie – enjoy your recipes so very much, but am wondering if you’ve considered making them with an option of “print recipe.” I’ve asked this before but couldn’t find an answer so am trying again!! Thanks.

18. Brenda says

19. Cheryl says

Katie,

I have copied many of your recipes and all have been amazing, but I tried the little chocolate cake for one, and for some reason it tasted dry, and not as sweet as I’d like… now that could be a good thing.. cuz then I wouldn’t eat as much.. even tho it’s for one… but I was wondering what I could add more of? Or did I miss something? thanks.

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

I’m not really sure… maybe you over-microwaved it? Or you need more sugar? It’s not a misprint in the recipe, since so many others have successfully tried it… maybe it’s just not your particular thing! I know there are recipes that everyone else loves that I don’t like!

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

20. Cheryl says

Katie,

21. Rebecca says

Hi there! First I wanna say that I love your blog and so many of your recipes have been pinned to my Pinterest board lol. And I was wondering if you had any recipes that are or could be geared toward college students? Recipes that are really quick, require inexpensive ingredients (that are also easy to store in a small dorm), and make either single or two people servings? As for other recipes that are better suited to a real kitchen, I plan on trying out quite a few once I am home for the summer. I’m a vegetarian, not a vegan, and quite the food lover so thank you for the great blog!

22. Rebecca says

23. Sabrina says

Hi Katie,
    I just found your blog a couple of weeks ago and I’m so happy I did!! This year especially I’ve been trying to have a healthier lifestyle, and like you I LOVE chocolate and desserts. I was always scowering the internet and cookbooks for baked good recipes that weren’t going to put me in a sugar coma, LOL. Anyways I just wanted to thank you for all the amazing recipes you create and put out.

24. Sabrina says

Hi Katie,

25. Leigh says

Hi Katie!

Today, I noticed someone “borrowing” one of your recipes without giving you credit where credit was due. You had apparently already discovered this and left a very tactful, nice comment on the post… I was just wondering, does that happen frequently to you? How do you protect yourself as far as copyright stuff goes, or do you not really worry about it?

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

It happens A LOT :(.
      In fact, it happens so often that I don’t even know which particular instance you saw! In the last 48 hours, I’ve seen three!

I’m sure there are tons out there that I don’t even see. Mostly I just see the ones on foodgawker, or commenters will tell me someone’s stolen a recipe. But there are probably thousands of others I’ll never know about… I have NO clue why people think it’s ok to steal someone else’s hard work, and it’s like a punch to the stomach every time I see it. Really, though, there’s not much I can do short of asking them to take it down if I do happen to see it. I could get a lawyer involved, but then that makes ME seem petty.

I just wish people would realize how much time and work (and love) go into developing a good, tried-and-tested recipe, and how much it hurts to see someone else get the credit.

Anyway, sorry for the novel of a reply!

• Leigh says

THREE? In 48 hours? That’s nuts! I guess it’s one of the downsides of running a popular blog with good recipes. 🙂

I understand what you mean about taking legal action seeming petty, but it’s so rude, and totally unfair! If someone else is posting your recipes on their site without crediting you, then it’s not too much of a stretch to say that they’re diverting potential readers from your site. And don’t you get paid by your sponsors for each viewer? You obviously put a lot of effort into what you do, and it would be so easy to simply link to your blog instead of taking credit for the recipe. D:

You seem to have it pretty well under control, though. I love that you’re so polite and nice, even when someone has taken something of yours… It’s a testament to your good character.

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

Yeah… I don’t really care that they’re stealing page views from me, since my main goal in blogging isn’t to make a ton of money. I get so excited sharing what I hope are creative ideas with people. What really upsets me is that I put in all the hard work and someone else didn’t have to do ANY of the work and gets accolades for it. It’s not just my work, either. I get just as upset if I see someone stealing a recipe from ANY other blogger!
          I just wish people had more integrity… or paid more attention in class when their kindergarten teachers told them plagiarism is wrong. 😉

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

• Leigh says

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

It happens A LOT :(.

Anyway, sorry for the novel of a reply!

26. Leigh says