Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

FAQ

On this FAQ page, I’m answering all the questions readers often ask. If you still have a question, please feel free to leave a comment!

Chocolate Covered Katie Pancakes

I post new healthy recipes on the blog every Monday and Thursday.

Often, readers will prefer to get the recipes as an email because it lets them not have to keep checking back.

If you want to be included on that list, simply click on the following link, then just be sure to verify when it asks!

Get FREE healthy recipes in your inbox

Health and Diet

Can you share what you eat in a day? Do you ever eat unhealthy foods?

While every day is different, here is an example of What I Eat In A Day.

I strive for variety and try to make sure my meals are balanced, but I don’t stress about it and will never eat a food I dislike just because it’s healthy. Worrying about eating a “perfect” diet seems more detrimental to one’s health than consuming a few grams of trans fat or white flour every now and then.

The foods I crave are usually pretty healthy; however if I’m out with friends, on vacation, or someone surprises me with a not-healthy-in-the-slightest homemade baked good, I’m fine with indulging. Growing up in a big Italian family, food has always been a huge part of my life, and I don’t believe negative feelings like guilt should ever be associated with something that can bring so much enjoyment.

Are you anorexic?

Ugh. I’m not, but I am acutely aware that it’s a suggested search term if you google my blog name, which is why I wrote the following post: Chocolate Covered Katie Anorexic?

Many of your recipes are extremely low in calories. Why is that?

I try to make my recipes relevant for as many people as possible, and I know that many of my readers are watching their weight or cooking for themselves or a loved one who needs recipes that are lower in calories, fat, or sugar.

If I’m cooking just for me, I don’t really ever use xylitol, stevia, or the lower-fat options given in my recipes; these variations are included so that people can make the recipes to fit their own dietary needs. It’s also why I try to include gluten-free options as much as possible and test each recipe with different sweeteners and flours.

Running/Exercise

Do you run every day?

I’ve gone through periods of time where I’ve run too much and where I’ve not run at all, and finally I found a good balance. For more on my relationship with running, see the following post: Why I Gave Up Running.

What other exercise do you get?

I walk pretty much everywhere. Once in a while, a friend will drag me to an exercise class or the gym; but it’s not a regular thing, and I’ve taken exactly zero Soul Cycle classes in my life.

Katie

Do you have a job?

Yes – here is a post on How I Started Blogging Full-Time.

Can you share your stats? How much do you weigh?

I am 5’5 (okay fine, 5’4 and a half). I don’t own a scale.

You mention you’ve lived all over the world. Where exactly have you lived?

I was born in England and have also lived in Philadelphia, Japan, China, The Philippines, Texas, Virginia, and Washington, D.C. Where should I go next?

Photography

What camera do you use?

Most of the earlier photos on the blog were taken with a Canon Rebel. In late 2016, I switched over to a Canon 5D Mark III. My go-to lens is the 100mm f/2.8L Macro.

Have you taken any photography classes? What tips do you have for someone who wants to take better photos?

Everything I know comes from observation and practice. My biggest tip to readers who want to improve their photos is to practice as much as you can. Read photography books and the manual that comes with your camera, and learn the meaning of terms like “ISO,” “shutter speed,” and “f stop.”

Browse photography forums whenever you have questions. Don’t get discouraged if your photos look awful in the beginning. (Mine did!) Becoming a good photographer isn’t something that happens overnight.

chocolate covered katie

Blogging

Do you have advice for other bloggers?

Here are all my posts tagged: How To Write A Food Blog.

What’s your favorite recipe on the blog?

Not surprisingly, I am partial to the recipes that include chocolate, such as the chocolate pie, brownies, and pudding cake. I also really love ice cream, especially the Chocolate Peanut Butter Nice Cream or the pistachio ice cream recipe in my cookbook.

The definite reader favorites are the Chickpea Cookie Dough Dip and the Black Bean Brownies. More reader favorites can be found on the right sidebar of the blog!

Can I post one of your recipes on my own blog? Can I use your photos?

I’m ridiculously happy when someone tries one of my recipes. I only ask that you link back to the recipe instead of posting it on your site unless you’ve made major changes, because I have big plans for some of the recipes. But as long as they’re credited, please feel free to use any of my photos.

Is this a vegan blog?

Although all of the recipes on this blog can be suitable for vegans as long as you choose nondairy options for ingredients such as milk of choice, I would guess that most of my readers are not vegans; they’re simply people who enjoy delicious desserts and want healthier versions of their favorite recipes.

Most of my friends who test the recipes are not vegan or vegetarian, and I especially try to get friends who aren’t into healthy food to give me feedback… because if a recipe gets their seal of approval, I know it’s good!

Final Questions:

Is there a way I can get your recipes by email?

Yes, you can click here: Get FREE healthy dessert recipes delivered to your inbox.

If you sign up, you will get only my new recipe posts, never any annoying advertisements.

How can I contact you?

I receive hundreds of questions each day, so please be patient with me as I try my hardest to respond to as many as possible! Here are links to the CCK Facebook Page and Pinterest Page. You can also reach out my media team at chocolatecoveredmedia at gmail dot com. Or leave a comment on any one of my blog posts.

Do you really eat chocolate every day?

Every single day. Usually at least twice.

Reader Interactions

1229 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Adriana says

I wish the comments under your recipes went from the most recent to oldest. So many to scroll through and see if you responded to my comment 🙂

• Jason Sanford says

Hi! Just check the box next to the comment that you want to receive notification by email when you get a reply to a comment. That way you don’t have to worry about checking back 🙂

2. Rebecca M. says

Hi Katie,

May you please make a vegan earth Day (blue/green) cookie for your readers this year? Thanks for sharing your recipes!

3. Nancy E Degnan says

For the Almond Butter Brownies – you say you can yield 9-12 but the nutrition facts has 36 g – is hat 1/9 or 1/12 of the recipe?

4. Cherish says

Hey! I just found you and your blog because of your nice cream recipes and the gooey deep dish chocolate chip pie cookie recipe- I can’t wait to try it and see if my “traditional” family like it! I know they will!
    Are you vegan? For a little over 2 years my husband and I have been eating mostly vegan. We share your view of eating whatever we want and not feeling guilty for it but when it comes to eating at home and making food for ourselves, we are vegan. I went thru a healthy pregnancy and awesome delivery of a healthy and very active baby girl during this time, too. Ive always been thin, but after she was born, I’ve lost weight (really??? I was looking forward to gaining some pounds for good and having friends stop saying I’m thin..) from nursing and just trying to keep up with her.. I’m not sure if it’s due to this or my diet but I’m constantly hungry and hardly ever feel full.. it seems I can’t eat enough nuts or something to put any more fat on. I only notice because my wedding ring got too loose for my finger and my cheeks are thinner 🙁 Just the other day I was considering eating eggs again (I love them hard boiled) and possibly other animal products for the sheer calories/fat and ease of them… sometimes it seems I can’t come up with more than boring veggies and rice for dinner so I REALLY appreciated stumbling across your blog. Any high calorie, high nutrition recipes are so appreciated, for me and my daughter. So thank you!! So far every recipe I’ve seen is one I have made a variation of or one I want to try and have all ingredients for in my house! Keep up the fine recipes and balanced happy view of food 😀

• Jason Sanford says

Hi Cherish! Yes Katie’s been vegan for over a decade and I can attest to how much she eats, it sounds a lot like you actually! She’s sometimes felt like the more nut butter she eats, the less she weighs, like maybe it speeds up her metabolism to keep the status quo of what her body wants to stay at. (We don’t know, just guessing!) Of course I don’t know if it’s the same for you, but I do know for Katie, her mom had the same issue growing up and wasn’t vegan, it’s more genetic and also just a product of having a lot of adrenaline and not being someone who naturally is good at relaxing. I’m not vegan so probably not the best person to give advice on this, but it does seem like the vegans I know are able to eat more calories (certainly more than I can, I’m jealous!) so perhaps the diet does speed up one’s metabolism. Or maybe more protein would help? I’d say do what works best for you, and hopefully it’s comforting to know there are others out there who understand similar struggles.
      Jason (media relations)

5. Tammy says

Katie ~
    New to the Keto diet. I clocked on lemon meltaway cookies & there is a *click here* for Keto cookies. I did, it took me to a page with “step-by-step video above”, however, the video does not show how much salt and sweetener to add at the end of the video it says for more information go to chocolatecoveredkatie.com which takes you back to looking up the lemon cookies which takes you back to the video and it just loops around I can’t find the cookie recipe you said it taste like shortbread and I really love shortbread and during this Christmas season would love to make some shortbread with chocolate chips in it and I can’t because I don’t have the recipe. Can you please send me the recipe for the keto chocolate chip cookies They’re off of the lemon meltaway cookies & it should be a keto version but no luck. I love you and all your ideas! Thank you so much Katie!

• Jason Sanford says

Hi Tammy, If you scroll down under the video then the recipe is on the same page as the video, you just have to scroll down to the bottom of the page. Let me know if you don’t see it! 🙂
      Jason

6. Jess says

Hello Katie!
    I have a curious question about your photos on your blog and recipes. I am starting to think of making up my own blog of vegan food creations and not so great creations for fun, but was wondering how do you keep rights to your own photography and your own recipes? Does just setting up a blog guarantee a “copyright” or do you need to look into actually copyrighting?
    Thank you, I appreciate it!
    Love your healthy creations!!!

7. Linda Pansegrau says

Almond Butter Blender Muffins

Just started looking on your site – my choices of a can of beans in Canada is 398ml(14 fl oz liquid) or 540 ml(19 0z liq)

Do you have a suggestion for which to use? Your directions are a can of….

8. Jacki says

Hi, from Canada, though I love your recipes, I must tweak them to be nut free and seed/sesame, etc free…. perhaps, in future you could have nutfree/seed free or Food Allergy Specific Recipe are that caters to this specific , that would make my day and other food allergy folks, even happier….by the way, your new blog setup is much better….!!!!

9. Diane says

Hi,
    I recently made your recipe for No Bake dates brownies. After letting them set for at least 3 hrs. In the fridge I tried to cut them in squares. They were all granulate, no way could I cut them in squares. What did I do wrong?

10. connie muse says

Hi Katie! I have been a fan of yours for years!!! Love all you do. My question is about the new website. There was a place about advertisements. Unfortunately, I clicked on “all ads” instead of preferred(?). I would like to switch and pick which ads I want to see. Sorry, I know you get paid to let them run these on your site, but I can’t enjoy your stories and recipes because of all the pop ups. If I can reduce them that would be great. I could not find how to change that anywhere.
    Thanks again!!!!!
    Connie

• Mandy says

I agree! So. Many . Ads. Its getting to be too distracting!!!!!! Sometimes i forget i am trying to see the rest of the recipe…an ad every paragraph while there is a small video playing of katie cooking in the middle of my page. Its too much, Katie!!! We are already scattered enough but these distractions detract so much feom your excellent blog!

11. tori says

Your have been my go-to for all things dessert for the last few years. I wanted to let you know I am having more trouble finding recipes in the search bar than previously. I searched for “chocolate bread” and there were pages and pages of unrelated recipes mixed in with ones I was looking for. BTW, I ended up making the chocolate banana snack cake and it was so easy and delicious!

• Jason Sanford says

Hi, when did you try the search bar? Katie’s site just went through a redesign, so hopefully that will have fixed your issue! I just tried typing chocolate bread into the search bar, and her chocolate bread recipes all came up first 🙂

• tori says

Hi Jason,

I tried it yesterday. I remember about the website redesign, which is
        why I mentioned. I ran the search again and I can see that generally
        the chocolate breads are at the top. Not entirely. But there is also
        coconut bread coming up in the search, which makes me think the terms
        are chocolate OR bread, not chocolate AND bread. From my perspective,
        this is a little confusing and there are just too many recipes coming up
        for this search. I defer to you guys as the experts, though – JMTC!

Best,
        Tori

• Jason Sanford says

Hi Tori, I think it’s probably because chocolate bread was mentioned in the coconut bread post and that would be why it comes up there. Computers are smart but only to a point haha.

12. Kate (also often covered in chocolate) says

This blog makes me so happy! I love baking but have three little kids so having healthier creations to be guzzled is good for us all!

I’d love it if at some point in the future you had a widget to convert from cups to oz/g (grams would be even better for little Euro me) I do have measuring cups and a converter app but it would make life a lot easier.

13. Amanda Pumo says

Hi I ordered your fat bomb cookie doh recipe awhile ago and have not yet received?
    Amanda Pumo
    26 Southgate Circle
    Massapequa Park
    NY. 11762

• Jason Sanford says

Hi, Katie does not sell physical products on her blog, so I think you might be thinking of a different blog 🙂

14. Lyndsey Haigh says

Hi I am from the UK and want to make your keto chocolate cake for my daughters birthday. Can you share the recipe with measurements in grams or ounces as I dont have US cups to measure with.
    Many thanks
    Regards Lyndsey

15. Jennifer Klassen says

I was looking at your keto cream cheese chocolate frosting because I’d love to make either the brownies or the keto cake this weekend but the amount of powdered sugar for the frosting seem like so much! The recipe says 1 1/2 to 3 cups of powdered sugar. Is that right? How much frosting does this yeild? Thank you so much!

• Jason Sanford says

Hi, you can use less if you want. It just depends on your own personal sweetness tastes 🙂
      Jason

16. Aria says

There needs to be a “Jump to recipe” button. I’m getting so very, very tired of bloggers cramming in dozens of pictures and pages and pages of ramblings to up their ratings, whatever. If I don’t find one, I immediately leave the website, and I get to a point where I will refuse to visit the site anymore.

17. Mandi Wood says

Hey Katie!
    You have been my favorite go to food blogger for years now. Not only do I love your delicious treats but also your fun personable conversations through your writings to your fans.

May God bless you and talk to you soon!
    Mandi Wood

18. kathleen says

Katie, I love your recipes and how easy they are. I’ve bought your dessert cookbook, but I was wondering if you have a main dish cookbook? I like to refer to books when I’m doing my meal planning. Thanks

• Jason Sanford says

We really wish there were one! Katie has been trying to make it happen for years, but publishers only want her to do a second dessert book. We have no idea why, since there is a huge demand for a savory book and we get comments like yours at least once a month. For now, the closest thing she has is her ebook with both savory and sweet breakfast recipes. I know not everyone wants an ebook though, so hopefully a savory book will happen someday! https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/healthy-breakfast-cookbook-food-blog/
      Jason (media relations)