Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Like Eating a Bowl of Whipped Cream

Remember 5-Minute Chocolate Mousse?
It now has a baby sister.

vanilla2

And just as decadent is the paler sister of  5-Minute Chocolate Mousse.

This stuff is a-mazing!

Seriously, it’s like eating an entire bowl of whipped cream! And although I’ve never had Greek Yogurt, I’m thinking that Vanilla Cream Mousse would make for a good vegan Greek yogurt stand-in. (Has anyone ever had vegan Greek yogurt? Do they even make vegan Greek yogurt?)

vegan greek yogurt

Vanilla Cream Mousse

(A.k.a. “whipped cream in a bowl” or “Vegan Greek Yogurt”)
(Makes 1 generous serving)

• 190grams morinu silken-firm tofu (a little over 1/2 a package)
  • up to 1/3ish cup liquid, or a bit more or less, depending on how thick you want it.  The first time you make it, start off with less; you can always add more (I use 20g of Whole Foods’ unsweetened ricemilk and 85g water)
  • optional: a few drops of vanilla extract (I skip this because my ricemilk has a vanilla flavor)
  • sweetener (sugar, stevia, agave, whatever) to taste (or omit for a Vegan Greek Yogurt result)
  • Optional: If you want true “yogurt” you can use Meg’s probiotic trick.

Put all the ingredients in your blending contraption (I use the Magic Bullet) and give it a whirl.  Then take a whipped-cream bath in the luscious bowl of vanilla goodness.  (I like to put the bowl in the freezer for 20-30 minutes prior to eating so it’s super-cold, but not long enough for it to get icy.)

**For the Soy-Free Version:
For a soy-free bowl of cream, see: Soy-Free Vegan Cream

z 777

Good on its own, the mousse is also insanely delicious in the following ways:

1. Mixed into hot cereal  (or poured over cold cereal instead of milk)

znyc 583

2. With fruit, like Pom!Or blend fruit in, or throw in Raw S’mores Fudge!!

z 596

3. As a side dish with Butter(nut) Me Up squash fries

So even if you don’t do soy or dairy, you don’t have to be left out on the whipped-cream fun.  And oh, what fun it is! When we were little, my mom would squirt whipped cream onto our outstretched fingers and we’d call it “worms.”  No idea why we found that appetizing…

No ratings yet.

Published on January 22, 2010

Meet Katie

featured on The
Today Show, CNN,
Fox, The
Huffington Post, and

Learn more about Katie

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

133 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. catms916 says

I looove whipped cream swirled into pudding or jello – it reminds me of summer camp! Mmm that tofu pudding looks so so good, I’m thinking post-run snack material today… 😉

2. Laura D says

I don’t like whipped cream, but Katie, this was amazing! A nice light snack! Thanks for your wonderful inspirational blog!

3. susan says

i think i like whipped cream best over hot chocolate…

but whipped cream really reminds me of when i was into the “atkins diet” hardcore… i couldn’t eat bananas b/c they were evil carbs and would make me fat, but taking a can of whipped cream and squirting it directly into my mouth a few times a day was perfectly acceptable!

what? that doesn’t make sense?

it did at the time!

oh fad diets how you warped thee!!!

4. Amy says

I just made this, but it didn’t turn out nearly as thick as yours. I’d say it’d be best to just add a bit of liquid at a time until you reach a good consistency – just dumping 1/3c of rice milk/water ended up being too much! I ended up adding some guar gum and xanthan gum to thicken it back up again.

5. Karen says

My favorite use for pomegranate juice is to substitute it for water when I make Kristen Suzanne’s chocolate cherry bomb smoothie. Delish!

6. Kristin says

I seriously just like to drink pomegranate juice as is! I love pomegranates, although I didn’t like them when I had my first one when I was like 8. My mom got us to try them at Christmas for a treat but it took me many, many years to try them again but now I love them. 🙂 The Pom-tini sounds GREAT and I’d love to try it 🙂

7. Tanya says

Ummmm, I’ve only ever eaten the pomegranate “kernels” or whatever they’re called (seeds? LOL) right out of the fruit as is….and occasionally we buy pure pomegranate juice and mix it with water for a nice drink. Very good stuff!

8. Betherann says

My favorite thing to do with pom juice is drink it straight up, cold, or mix it with some seltzer water. I tried making a pom smoothie, pom hummus, and pom chicken, but none were as good as the juice solo.

9. Just Audrey says

I’ve only had pomegranates once, and I think it was overripe because the arils were really woody. Anyway, I’m not sure exactly what my favorite way to eat them would be. I think it would be delicious mixed with sparkling water as kind of a dry Pom-tini…or with some lemon-lime Zevia.

10. McKella says

My husband Sam once made me chocolate pomegranate “candy”. He just swirled the seeds around in melted dark chocolate, dropped in globs on wax paper and stuck in the freezer. He served them in a pretty bowl with a sugared rim and on a beautiful bed of the pomegranate skins. He got lots of points that day.

11. Laura E says

My favorite way to enjoy pomegranate seeds is straight up! I’ve always wanted to try their juice but I just can’t seem to spend $4 for a bottle!!

12. 21mph says

I love pomegranate arils straight up, but I also love this raspberry pomegranate kefir that I found at Whole foods once. Haven’t seen it since, but it was sooooo good!

13. molly b says

I like to put the arils in my oat bran. I have never had the juice, but I think it could be a key ingredient in a yummy salad dressing.