Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

My attempt at a fashion post

Fashionable Foods

Certain edible entities are so much easier to photograph than others. Strawberries, whipped cream, and pancakes all fall into the first category, whilst oatmeal and chocolate brownies definitely go into the second.

One of my favorite photos ever is the Ice Cream Sandwich Pancakes.

They were just so photogenic! Today’s breakfast, however,  features a subject I’ve had trouble photographing in the past. It’s the fashion reject of foods, but this doesn’t make it any less yummy:

banana-bread-in-a-bowl_thumb1

My breakfast this morning: Banana Bread in a Bowl.

Or rather, banana bread in a mug.

What’s better than banana bread in a bowl? How about banana bread in a giant blue mug that only cost $3? I never, ever pay more than $20 for a dish. (I usually won’t pay more than $10.) I’d rather save my money up for coconut butter… or chocolate bars. Mmmmmmmm chocolate bars.

It’s also difficult for me to justify splurging on clothing, although I try to remind myself that sometimes a shirt from a store like j.crew is a better investment than something cheaper because it holds up longer.

urban outfitters

Fashionable? What’s that?

It’s an effort to be fashionable now that I stay home for my new job.

The thought of lounging in my pajamas all day is very enticing. Since my dog is my only co-worker, no one would care. (Well, maybe Henry cares; but he wears the same thing every day, so he’s in no position to judge.) Can’t say I don’t sometimes give in to temptation… it’s not uncommon, these days, to find me wearing slippers at 1pm, without so much as a brush through my hair!

Luckily, I have friends who drag me out of the house. Yesterday, we went shopping and I discovered some cute (not-so-expensive) items at Urban Outfitters. That offbeat store is awesome; one time I actually purchased a shirt that says, “Bite Me, I’m Vegan.” Here’s what I came home with this time:

vegan clothes

Comfy flannel.

Love flannel!!!

Love love love!

P.S. It is ridiculous how much blue and green I have in my closet.

After shopping, we came home and made cookies:

bananabite

Surprisingly good-for-you Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites .

My friend couldn’t get over the fact that they are healthy cookies. I had to remind her that even healthy cookies aren’t healthy anymore if you eat ten!  Sadly, she didn’t heed my advice, and she ate all the extra cookies… so after she left, do you know what I did? I made more cookies. Peanut butter cookies.

Flourless peanut butter cookies.

Flourless peanut butter cookies that taste like cookie dough.

I’ll post the recipe tomorrow.

Don’t you wish it was tomorrow?

Questions of the Day:

Would you consider yourself “fashionable”?
And are there ever days where you’re still in your pjs after noon?

Every now and then, I try to look fashionable. But normally, my “fashions” consist of clothes that are comfortable, like yoga pants, fleece, and flip-flops. And pjs after noon? Definitely yes!

If you can’t wait for tomorrow: try a Peanut Butter Cookie for One!

No ratings yet.

Published on August 23, 2011

Meet Katie

featured on The
Today Show, CNN,
Fox, The
Huffington Post, and

Learn more about Katie

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

99 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. VEGirl says

Do I consider myself fashionable? Heck no! Every time I try to dress up, I often look like a dork or don’t feel like “me”. I try to stick with “pre-fashioned” clothing articles and when I dress up, stick in my realm of expertise.

I prefer to dress up food 😉

2. Maya says

Yes!!! I just got married and moved to Austin, and am still in the “job search” process. So, sometimes when my husband comes home for lunch (okay more than sometimes) I am in my PJs. And even later…In terms of fashionable…I was the girl known for only wearing sweatpants in college.

3. katie @KatieDid says

I was just discussing this last night with my friend! How I feel so much better about myself and ready to accomplish things if I get dressed in “real” clothes for the day. It’s too easy as a student to just not bother if you have 1 or 2 classes and are just coming home after… but I always try to make an effort.

• katie @KatieDid says

oh and i LOVE flannel too! I usually go thrifting for flannel though because you can find awesome prints for insanely cheap… much cheaper than U.O. but then again what isn’t cheaper than urban?? haha. I love what you bought!

4. Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) says

I LOVE THE GREEN TOP!!! That will look SO gorgeous on you!! Haha I am not that fashionable! I spent most of my time in sweaty workout clothes! 😛 And today I was in my PJs till noon!! 😀

5. Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission says

When I go to school, there’s usually one day a week where I put in extra effort into my clothing choices. But the other 4 days are dedicated to lululemon yoga pants + jackets + UGG boots. I’d rather be comfortable!

6. Katie @ Nutrition in a peanut shell says

Bahahaha, fashionable?
    Me?
    Naah.
    However, I loooove Urban Outfitters! I could spend my entire paycheck there…if I wasn’t such a frugal shopper.
    (I circle the store like a shark, look at all the prices, peruse the sales rack 5 times, and decide on one $7 shirt)

7. Holly @ The Runny Egg says

Even on the weekends I change clothes in the morning — if I stay in my pajamas I feel sleepy, so unless I’m going to spend the day napping on the couch I need to change!

I am so unfashionable. I go with solid colors almost always — pretty boring but that is ok with me!

8. Ellen says

I wish I were better at being lounge-y, but if I don’t get up, work out and shower and dress I’m a total grump…
    Looking forward to those cookies!

9. kaitlin @4loveofcarrots says

Ok its official I want you to come bake for me, ok thanks glad we cleared that up! But I must wear regular clothes in order to feel productive, plus I might get fired lol! P.s. I love the green knit shirt u purchased, I may have to scoop one up. I adore flannel as well 🙂

10. [email protected] says

What a cute mug! I can never justify spending money on clothes until mine are falling apart. $60 for jeans?!?! You’re right, coconut butter and chocolate are far better investments. I don’t have to dress up for school, but boy do I wish I could stay in my PJs all day. As it is the jeans come off the second I get home.

A peanut butter recipe?? I want it nowwww!

11. Ragnhild says

You look adorable nomatter what you are wearing!!
    Over the past years I have started to buy more expensive, high quality clothers, rather that lots of cheap stuff! It makes me love my clothes more, and they last so much longer 🙂
    Cant wait for the PB cookies!

12. Lauren @ What Lauren Likes says

Can’t wait for the recipe!! And I love staying in my jammies till noon! I am still in them now haha 🙂

13. Kelly says

I love your fashion picks here! A girl can never go wrong with blue and green! My closet is full of both those colors as well. But I definitely don’t consider myself fashionable and would stay in my nightgown all day if I could!

14. Fran M says

I am not a fashionable person, I love flannel too. Wish I could wear pjs to work…but I have a feeling my boss would not like that idea. 🙂

Your oatmeal in a cup looks great. Try photographing your oatmeal from above the cup/bowl…with possibly a cloth napkin and spoon off to the side. Makes for an interesting shot.
    Just another perspective.

Flourless peanut butter cookies….Yum, I’ll be back tomorrow.

15. Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn says

Girl I LOVE flannel! I just got a blue one for school ’cause lord knows I need some good flannel up here in New York. Mwahhh!

16. Aine @ Something to Chew Over says

I really can’t wait for that recipe!

I’m waiting to start my new job at the moment so I’m definitely guily of lounging around in PJs! But hey, what’s wrong with that? 🙂

17. Gloria says

I must find that vegan shirt at Urban Outfitters! My friends will now be even more embarassed by me… but they love it. Agreed on the flannel, too! Comfort is key.

Over the past few years I have been REALLY slack about my work outfits – jeans, boat shoes, polo. I’m an engineer, working in a professional office environment, but we’re really allowed to wear whatever we want so long as we don’t look like we’re ready for the beach or the bar. I resurrected all of my old professional wear from quality places like Banana Republic, Express, and J. Crew and now that I’m looking awesome everyday, I’m feeling awesome at work and being SO much more productive. Clothes are the best 🙂

18. Emilia says

I am most definitely looking forward to that recipe tomorrow! I love peanut butter cookies but always have a hard time finding ones that are peanut butter-y enough. And I can understand why you would have a lot of green and blue in your wardrobe, they are obviously great colors for you 🙂

19. Katy says

I work in healthcare, so most days I wear scrubs – it’s almost like wearing pajamas, they’re so comfy! But on my days off, I do get dressed and fix my hair and such – I just feel much more awake and ready to tackle the day than if I lounge around in my comfy jammies.

20. Elise says

I am so unfashionable! I tend to stick to jeans and a top, though I do now have a couple of dresses (my younger tom-boy self would be horrified!). Me and my sister were talking about it the other day and she said I had to take her shopping if I get married because I’d probably skip the white dress and wear jeans! As for the PJ’s I’m so with you on that. I often don’t start work until 1pm so I usually don’t bother getting dressed, who wants to hang out in their work clothes all morning? Or change twice before lunch??

21. Jill says

I’m a teacher, so most of the year, I have to be dressed up at least Mon-Fri and Sundays for church…until I get home, that is. As soon as I go home, I put on pajama pants and a t-shirt (for example, I got home 20 minutes ago and I have already changed into comfy clothers!) During the summertime, there are many days that I don’t get dressed till after lunch! There’s no shame in it! There’s plenty you can do around the house in pjs/comfy clothes!

22. Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) says

Ahhhh I DO wish it was tomorrow!! How can you make us wait like this?! 😉

Fashion? Wait, what’s that? Unless that includes riding breeches + riding boots + chaps + a t-shirt, I have no idea 😉 Haha, I try to be a bit fashionable for school, but, um, that has worked so well the last two days. Maybe by the end of the week… But my fave clothes are DEFINITELY PJs. I would wear them to the moon and back if I could. (But wait! No one’s said I can’t. Look out, moon! Here I come 😉 )

Have a fabulous weekend, Kaite! 😀