Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

My date… at a gas station?

oatmeal square

But first, breakfast:

I spread peanut butter on one of these: Banana Oatmeal Squares.

(Plus a simple veggie scramble, unpictured.) I played around with the ingredients and proportions of the boatmeal, devising a new version of the recipe that yields 10 servings instead of just one. Or you can freeze the leftovers and have one ready as needed. (I’m not sure yet whether the cookbook will include a chapter on breakfast. Right now I’m leaning towards desserts only, and if that ends up being the case I’ll definitely post the larger-serving recipe online.)

In the afternoon, the boy and I went out to White Rock Lake and rented a kayak. I’m terrible at kayaking; you don’t want to be stuck in a boat with me, as I will be no help in making it move. Still, I had fun, which is all that matters, right? And afterwards, we hit up The Green Spot:

vegan soft serve

A healthy gas station??

Imagine a gas station convenience store where the Twinkies and candy have been replaced with Larabars, organic produce, and kale chips. Oh, and vegan soft-serve.

In Texas.

In a gas station.

vegan soft serve

(P.S. Note my 4th of July nails :))

the green spot

green gas station

The Green Spot is the first of its kind: a healthy convenience store and gas station with regular unleaded gas, diesel gas blended with biodiesel and B100 biodiesel.

Their soft serve was seriously delicious. The chocolate tasted rich and creamy, and the vanilla was so surprisingly flavorful I think I might’ve liked it even more than the chocolate!

I got a swirl of both vegan flavors (the aforementioned chocolate and vanilla). The boy had chocolate-raspberry (non-vegan) soft serve, but he was at least brave enough to take a taste of mine. (It feels weird to keep referring to him as “the boy.” I’ll just call him “S” from now on.)

Question of the Day:

When was the last time you had soft-serve frozen yogurt?

Until yesterday, it had been years since my last soft-serve cone. Sadly, vegan soft serve is very hard to come by. Now that I know The Green Spot exists, I will definitely be going back!

Link of the Day:

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

101 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Amber with Slim Pickin's Kitchen says

That is so awesome! What an amazing idea! I hope they start popping up all over the place. The last time I had frozen yogurt was on Thurs night. I loooooooooooooove Yobe! It’s so good! My favorite flavor is one that is made with Taro, a Hawaiian root vegetable. *so good*

2. Melissa (Better Fit) says

Yum! Wow, I LOVE that someone has come up with healthy gas station foods! It’s about time. I hope they do well and expand like crazy!

Your nails are so cute!

3. Brandie says

Ack! I miss soft serve…. or ANY vegan ice cream at an ice cream STORE! I’ve long thought it extremely prejudiced that places like Coldstone and the Marble Slab (who cater ENTIRELY to ice cream) can’t provide at least ONE ice cream in an alternative form. I mean, how hard is it to have soy vanilla??? plain ol vanilla would be good enough for me y’all! That way us veg’s can still go OUT with friends/family and enjoy a bowl. I’m SO happy for you that you found the Green Spot! Wish it was closer 😉

4. Lesley says

If anyone is in the Chicago area, the Chicago Diner in Lakeview has AMAZING vegan milkshakes!! I just had one yesterday and it blew my mind. I don’t know how they make the whipped cream, it tastes exactly like the real deal.

5. Lauren Stewart says

Whaaaat, I am so impressed that a gas station like that exists! And in Texas! They definitely need to open more. Having healthy food available on the road 24/7 would make such a difference, in my opinion. Also, love the oatmeal recipe and can’t wait to try it!

6. Lisa @ The Raw Serenity says

Wow! This truly gives hope.
    I wonder how business is going for them and whether it is more profitable than a junk food gas station..
    I wish I had one in town! The Gas station would be the new super market 🙂
    I have never had vegan soft serve (that’s if you don’t count my banana soft serve).

7. Rachelle B. says

I can’t believe how cheap your gas is over there! In SoCal it’s close to $4! I’m also loving this gas station. They should definitely have more around the country!

8. Vegan says

It’s been a long while since I saw gas prices that cheap! Very smart on their part to offer healthy options. Thanks for sharing.

9. theresa @ aspoonfulofsunshine says

Wow that looks like an awesome gas station! I really hope the GreenSpot expands to California too. It would be great to have healthy places to stop and grab snacks when you are in the middle of nowhere 🙂

10. Emma says

wow!! I’m thinking that ALL gas stations should be more like the green spot – so many people eat food on the go, having more healthy options at gas stations would make choosing healthy items so much easier.

11. Artymism says

The world needs more gas stations like that! I have never seen such a thing myself, but the idea is a great one…the next time you go, put in a suggestion for branching out to North Florida! 😉 Maybe they can slowly take over all the junk food stations.

12. Keri says

Oh my gosh! I can’t believe there is such a place here in Dallas (of ALL places!!), and I didn’t even know about it! Amazing, can’t wait to check it out, which I will be doing soon! Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

13. brianna says

I’ve never had vegan soft serve, but I had fro-yo on Friday. I work at a day camp, so some of my co-counselors and I have invented fro-yo Friday. It’s a welcome treat at the end of a long week.

14. PK says

My last soft serve yoghurt was October 2010. Why so specific? I was in Vegas with the hubby, and in one of the hotel malls (I forget which one) there was this awesome self-serve, pay-by-the-ounce soft serve yoghurt shop. I had a swirl with too many toppings, and it was delish. We don’t have anything like that here on the west coast of Australia, and I’m looking forward to our next trip back to Vegas/the States (I’m in the planning stage right now!), and I am watching these comments closely for places to hit up when we get there 😀

PS I *love* your nails. I wish I could keep nail polish on for more than two hours 🙁 Oily nails means it chips right off mine – even acrylics/gel nails and shellac lift off within a couple of hours 🙁

15. Erika says

Some how I’m not surprised by a healthy, fancy, gas station in that area! 🙂 Will check it out next time I’m hanging out north of 30.

16. ML Bishop says

Hi Katie, I’m new to your blog. It’s amazing, your recipes are fabulous. I’m from Dallas too, I grew up in Richardson. How cool that the df dub has such a weird/awesome gas station! I’ll have to visit there the next time I’m in town!

17. Haylee says

Am I the only one that is dying to see the boys face? I can’t be, but I was so surprised to read through the comments and see no mention of picture request! You’ve got me dying of curiosity here! I’m sure you two are adorable together and I definitely don’t blame him if he’s hesitant to have his picture out there for the world to see but I just hope he knows how lucky he is!

18. Jojo says

ehm why was there no post on national chocolate day? did i miss it? or do you just want to stay unpredictable? =D