Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Chocolate Protein Icing

Break out your Canned Pumpkin! And fish out those goggles, because it’s time to dive, head-first, into a pool of chocolate protein icing. Chocolate icing so healthy you can eat the entire bowl in one sitting.

Kind of like with the recipe for Whipped Cream in a Bowl.

protein icing

(See, you want to dive in, right?)

“Fudge You!” Chocolate Protein Icing

Makes 1 bowl, to be used as icing, pudding, fudge sauce, pancake sauce, face paint… Wha?? Maybe scratch that last one…

• 1/8 cup (24g) chocolate protein powder (I used NutriBiotic)
  • a bit over 1/16th tsp salt
  • sweetener of choice, to taste
  • 2 tbsp canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree (about 30-35 grams)
  • 1/4 cup water, or other liquid (60 grams) Or more or less, depending on the thickening capabilities of the brand of protein powder you’re using
  • Optional spices and extracts if desired (I used 1/4 tsp cinnamon, to go with the pumpkin theme)
  • Also Optional cocoa powder, chocolate syrup, or melted chocolate, if you want it more chocolatey. And you can also always add fruit: banana, strawberries, raspberries…

Combine everything and mix very well. Eat cold. I don’t bother using a blender for this. A fork works fine. Dorm-room readers, rejoice!

znyc 1130

Other ideas: Swirl into oatmeal, top with granola, use as a cupcake-topper, use in place of hot fudge sauce on ice cream… As usual, the possibilities are endless! A word of caution: If you don’t like the protein powder you start with, you won’t like this icing/pudding. And it’s not meant to taste like the normal hot fudge sauce you buy at the store; I don’t really know how to describe the taste, but I love it!

No ratings yet.

Published on April 18, 2010

Meet Katie

featured on The
Today Show, CNN,
Fox, The
Huffington Post, and

Learn more about Katie

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

178 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Lori says

I don’t have a favorite brand of protein powder as I barely use it. I tend to use what my husband has in the pantry. Sometimes I add some to my oatmeal after a long run. It tastes good and I am getting some extra protein.

2. Rick says

my favorite brand of protein powder is good old Ruth’s Organic Hemp Protein. I love hemp, it’s the healthiest plant in the world as far as i’m concerned, and it works very well in green smoothies! 😀

3. haylee says

My favorite brand is the Spirutein, I LOOOVE the Cherries Jubilee flavor and a frozen banana! It makes the best shake EVER!

4. valerie says

I love to use protein powders in my green monsters to make them stick with me longer! I don’t really have a favorite brand yet, I’m always trying something new!

5. Kyle says

Oddly enough, my favorite brand of protein powder is Nutribiotic! I tried it when I first went vegan and I remember thinking “this is EASY and DELICIOUS!”

6. Radioactivegan says

I don’t have a favorite protein powder … I don’t think I’ve ever had a vegan one, but I have been watching for one to try (that isn’t too crazy expensive). I’d love to give the rice one a whirl!

7. Heather says

i like vanilla spirutein to make breakfast cookies and protein cookie dough, however it is a bit sweet and i would like to try another other protein powder!

8. Kristin says

I don’t have a favourite. I’ve barely even tried protein powder so I would love a chance to try some in a variety of different ways.

9. leangreendeane says

Hah, i am so sorry that you could relate to my story. That sounds awful! And my fav is definitely Navita’s Naturals Hemp Protein… It is so creamy and thick when added to water alone!

10. Kelsey says

Oh my gosh, Katie. This is exactly the kind of contest I’ve been needing! lol. I’ve been looking for Nutribiotic ever since you suggested it to me but I haven’t been able to find it.

Anyway, my current favorite protein powder is one I found at HEB the other day, Rainbow Light Protein Energizer. http://www.rainbowlight.com/Categories.aspx?Category=48658044-08a9-429a-b73b-72555b04e57b It’s completely natural, vegan, and the texture isn’t even that bad; my only beef (no pun intended) is that it only has 15g of protein per scoop and it turns everything green, lol.

Right now my favorite way to use it is by sprinkling it on some popcorn with coconut oil, sea salt and cinnamon. It tastes sooo good!

K, this book-of-a-comment is over now. 🙂

11. Kristie says

I haven’t tried that many protein powders before but my fav so far has been my grocery store’s brand of vanilla soy protein powder. I love it just mixed with pumpkin! Or in smoothies of course.

12. Eileen says

I put protein powder in your love muffins to replace some of the flour because my husband is pre-diabetic and it is a way to have a healthier profile for him.

13. Maryann says

I am just starting to explore all the protein powders and right now I use the vanilla soy protein powder by trader joes..not too bad, but im excited to try the chocolate kind by Amazing grass that I ordered online (supposed to arrive today!)

14. Christin L. says

I really love Jay Robb’s chocolate and vanilla whey proteins… delicious in smoothies or homemade granola bars!