This homemade vegan carrot cake recipe is unbelievably soft, moist, and completely delicious!
The Best Vegan Carrot Cake
Oil Free Option
If you’re looking for a truly show-stopping vegan Easter dessert that’s easy to make and guaranteed to wow both vegans and omnivores, this is absolutely the recipe you should choose – because it comes out perfectly every single time!
Also try the popular Healthy Carrot Cake Cupcakes
This simple vegan cake recipe calls for just a few basic ingredients.
Sweet and flavorful, it will become your go-to carrot cake recipe for years to come.
Don’t be surprised if this cake starts showing up in your dreams.
The classic taste will remind you of a traditional carrot cake you’d find at an upscale restaurant or bakery – and yet it’s secretly healthy at the same time!
The recipe is packed with a full cup of shredded carrot, making it ultra moist and soft, without all the extra fat.
If desired, you can add raisins, pineapple, or crushed walnuts to the batter. You’ll want to make the recipe not just for Easter, but for birthday parties, Mother’s Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas too!
Trending Right Now: Keto Cake – Easy Chocolate Recipe
Carrot Cake Frosting Options
Let’s be real – one of the best parts of carrot cake is the frosting!
My favorite way to serve the cake is with the vegan cream cheese frosting recipe below.
Or you can take a shortcut and use packaged frosting. Oddly enough, both Duncan Hines Creamy Home Style Cream Cheese Frosting and Pillsbury Creamy Supreme Cream Cheese Flavored Frosting are accidentally vegan. I’m not saying they’re healthy, but if you’re pressed for time, they can work in a pinch.
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
Beat room temperature 8 oz cream cheese (such as Tofutti or Miyokos) or homemade vegan cream cheese with 4 oz butter spread (such as Melt or Earth Balance) or coconut butter, 2 cups powdered sugar, and 1 tsp pure vanilla extract.
Add a little milk of choice as needed. For reference, this recipe yields about 2 cups of frosting, and I used about 1/2 cup frosting per layer on the carrot cake in the pictures.
Leftover Frosting? Make Easy Cinnamon Rolls!
Above – watch the video how to make vegan carrot cake!
Adapted from this Carrot Cake Banana Bread
Vegan Carrot Cake
- 1 cup shredded carrot, packed (200g)
- 1/2 cup applesauce or crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup oil, or additional applesauce for fat free
- 2 tsp white or cider vinegar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white, spelt, oat, or bob's gf flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar, unrefined if desired
- optional 1/4 cup raisins
- optional handful shredded coconut, crushed walnuts or pecans, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and line an 8-inch square or round pan with parchment. (If doubling the recipe, use two 8-inch pans or one 9x13.) In a mixing bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients and let sit at least 10 minutes or refrigerate overnight. Stir in all remaining ingredients. Pour into the pan, and smooth down. Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. If you can wait, I like to loosely cover once cool and let it sit overnight, because the cake tastes sweeter and has a lighter texture the next day! Leftovers can then be refrigerated 3-4 days or sliced and frozen.View Nutrition Facts
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @chocolatecoveredkatie on Instagram
More Vegan Easter Recipes