- 1 cup shredded carrot, packed (200g)
- 1/2 cup applesauce or crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup oil, or additional applesauce for fat free
- 2 tsp white or cider vinegar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white, spelt, oat, or bob's gf flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar, unrefined if desired
- optional 1/4 cup raisins
- optional handful shredded coconut, crushed walnuts or pecans, etc.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and line an 8-inch square or round pan with parchment. (If doubling the recipe, use two 8-inch pans or one 9x13.) In a mixing bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients and let sit at least 10 minutes or refrigerate overnight. Stir in all remaining ingredients. Pour into the pan, and smooth down. Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. If you can wait, I like to loosely cover once cool and let it sit overnight, because the cake tastes sweeter and has a lighter texture the next day! Leftovers can then be refrigerated 3-4 days or sliced and frozen.View Nutrition Facts
The cake was adapted from my Carrot Cake Banana Bread.
The frosting recipe I used for this cake is written out above in this post. And if you’re a visual person, be sure to check out the video above that shows how to make the carrot cake!