- 1/3 cup applesauce or mashed banana
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup flour of choice (low carb version: Keto Lemon Bars)
- 1 1/2 cup white beans or chickpeas (1 can, drained)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup, honey, or agave
- 1/4 cup coconut butter, or any full-fat butter spread
- 3/4 tsp baking powder, and 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line or grease an 8x8 pan. (Or you can make them into muffins.) Drain and rinse beans very well. Process all ingredients until completely smooth – taste and texture are much better in a food processor, but a blender can work if you must. Spread batter into pan. Bake 24 minutes, or 12 for muffins. The bars will be soft when you take them out, and they firm up as they cool.Frosting: 1/3 cup melted coconut butter (melt with a little coconut oil if needed to make it smoother). Mix with sweetener as desired – or you can skip the coconut butter and simply frost with a basic powdered sugar glaze or your favorite vanilla frosting, or even the cream cheese frosting recipe I used on my pumpkin cupcakes.View Nutrition Facts
Don’t omit the lemon zest, because it gives a ton of lemon flavor. If using coconut flour, only use a few tbsp (until you get a cake-batter consistency), because coconut flour is so absorbent so you won’t need the full 1/3 cup.
Recipe adapted from this Chickpea Cookie Dough Dip.