- 1 cup spelt, white, or gf all purpose flour (for low carb, try this Keto Cake Recipe)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp dutch cocoa, or additional regular
- 1/2 tsp each: baking soda and salt
- 3/4 cup sugar, unrefined or xylitol if desired
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup yogurt, such as almondmilk yogurt
- 1/4 cup nut butter, or additional yogurt for fat-free (oil also works)
- 2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- optional 1/2 tsp instant coffee
- optional 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8-inch baking pan. (Or double the recipe for a 9x13 or double-layer cake.) If your nut butter isn't stir-able, gently heat to soften. Stir all ingredients in a bowl until just combined. Pour into the pan. Bake 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. View Nutrition Facts
The cake was adapted from my Vegan Brownies Recipe.
As mentioned in the post, the nonfat version will be chewier than if you use nut butter (peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, etc.), and I prefer the nut butter version. But I served the low-fat version to my non-vegan parents and they loved it, so you might like that version too! Frosting options are listed above in the post. For a single-layer cake, you’ll need about 1/3 cup frosting.