Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Time for a Chopstick Challenge!

Who loves using chopsticks?

Katie loves using chopsticks! I use chopsticks for almost everything I eat. Growing up in Japan, I learned to eat with chopsticks before learning to use a fork! (Yes, I do now know how to use a fork. But I still prefer chopsticks.)

Have you ever tried eating with chopsticks?

bbn

n

ppie

bbcsticks

Brownie Batter Pancakes

(I don’t normally eat pancakes with chopsticks, but when someone asked me if I did, I had to try!)

chopsticks

If you don’t know how to use chopsticks, here’s a step-by-step guide:

www.ehow.com/how_3261_chopsticks.html

Or you can always watch a youtube video. (Is there anything that’s NOT explained on youtube these days?)

Chopstick Challenge Time:

I challenge you to replace your fork (or fingers!) with chopsticks for at least one meal/snack per day for the next week. Or maybe you want to have a complete chopsticks-only day? If you do already know how to use chopsticks, try to think outside the (Chinese take-out) box and use them to eat foods you wouldn’t normally eat with chopsticks, such as waffles, Italian food, or salad.

Be creative and have fun with it!

1. McKella says:

Ha ha, I asked you that on formspring! I love chopsticks. I used them all the time growing up and I bought a ton in China last summer, so I use them almost every day now! I think I still prefer the Japanese style ones my friend brought me though, because they’re pointy.

2. Jessica says:

I am so up for this! I just was telling my bf last night that I wanted to learn to use chopsticks! Talk about coincidence!

3. Marina says:

You actually inspired me to use chopsticks :) I bought them for sushi nights at home, but I like eating salads and stir frys with them. It makes me eat so much slower, but that way I enjoy it longer!

4. Kara says:

Oh Katie, you know I’m going to participate :). I don’t have a blog, but I’ll be sure to let you know about my progress. I wonder if you could eat fudge babies with chopsticks 😉

5. Sarahishealthy says:

I try to use them for Chinese food, but I’d love to improve my skills. Practice makes perfect, so I’m definitely going to take part in this challenge! Thanks for the kick in the butt!

6. McKella,
    Haha that was you?!
    That was one of my favorite questions :) :)

7. Kara,
    LOL! Well, it would keep your fingers from getting sticky!

8. vegangal says:

ooh chopsticks. i only use them at a chinese restaurant. can you buy them at the grocery store? are they expensive?

9. Due to having no patience, I cannot eat with chopsticks. I would never do that to those around me. 😉

10. Mary says:

I love this idea! Count me in! :)

11. Valerie says:

I learned to eat with chopsticks as a way to force myself to slow down with eating my food. But I ended up getting so good at it that now it certainly doesn’t help me slow down anymore. I can shovel the food in there at lightening speed!
    I’ll take part in the challenge. I just need to think of something strange to use chopsticks for…

12. Diana says:

I had a phase when I was younger and I would eat everything with chopsticks! It can be a pain but it actually makes the meal FUN and makes us pay more attention to the food. I will totally try to eat everything with chopsticks for one day next week :)

13. vegangal,
    I think you can! You can also find them at places like Asian markets or stores such as World Market. But if you just want some practice pairs, next time you’re at your local sushi place or Chinese restaurant, simply pick up a few extra pairs :).

14. eatandrun says:

I’m going to try having a whole chopstick day, where I won’t use my fork at all!
    Fun challenge, Katie!

15. I love using chopsticks but usually I stick to asian-inspired meals….maybe that will have to change soon!

16. Jenny says:

I’m a bit hand-eye coordinated challenged, but I love sushi- gotta make some exceptions!

17. Anonymous says:

I’m going to try it!

18. Run Sarah says:

I only use chopsticks for Asian food – using it for Western food feels off for me! :) Oatmeal though, that must have been challenging!

19. Inspired says:

Ok, I’m going home today to dust off my chopsticks! I’m excited!!! Katie, you have the best challenges. I wasn’t yet a blog reader for your new food challenge, but I’ve been doing that one on my own for the past few months now! And I’m going to participate in this one as well. Wish me luck! :)

20. Stefanie says:

I will have to pick up a pair of chopsticks. :-)

21. abby says:

i’m in! i really want to try getting better with chopsticks!

22. katie i grew up using chopsticks too except my parents never taught me the right way to use them..and i recently learned ive been doing it wrong all my life!u know how the top portion of the sticks arent suppose to cross…well mine do lol…o well as long as i get the food in my mouth! 😀
    -Lena

23. sera says:

I don’t think I ever use chopsticks before. Is that bad? I would like to try. Can I be a part?

24. Blissfulbellas,
    Hahaha as long as it works, right? Maybe you’ll inspire a new way to eat. Who knows, maybe your way actually works better! As long as you don’t do what I did as a little girl, which was to spear my food. My mom told me it’s very, very bad luck to do so :-?.

25. Sera,
    Of course you can be a part!!

26. Kelly Michelle says:

I love chopsticks. I have some nice stainless steel ones. They really make you slow down and enjoy your food.

27. I love using chopsticks and I keep meaning to pick up a few pretty sets! I wonder where I can find nice ones online? When I was Christmas shopping I saw lightsaber chopsticks on ThinkGeek and SO wanted them. 😀

28. I am so chopsticks inept. I am THAT PERSON who asks for a fork at the sushi restaurant.

29. YAY for chopsticks!
    😀
    Delicious eats as always, Katie!
    Have a wonderful Wednesday!
    Brazilian XOXO´s,
    Gabriela

30. Kate says:

Pot Pie Stew?!?
    I totally missed that when you posted the recipe. Going over to click on it now!

31. Hehehe, this is one challenge I don’t think I can do! I’ve tried to learn so many times and I stink at eating with chopsticks. I always get frustrated and use a fork!

32. jcd says:

Yay, three cheers for chopsticks. We use chopsticks at home a lot too. They are so simple and elegant to use. I’ll take up your challenge and try to eat with chopsticks more than usual this week. I only wish I had more good pairs of chopsticks… We got two pairs from a Japanese student who stayed with us for a while. Nothing we find here quite compares to them. I saw Star Wars lightsabre ones for sale online somewhere. Those would be perfect for my husband. Haha.

33. kathleen says:

I use chopsticks sometimes for “normal” food. I just got some cute new ones from a japanese store with little yellow stars on them.

34. Lauren says:

I love using chopsticks! I think its fun. When I was little, I could never use them properly (and I probably still don’t use them the “right” way, but I manage). They make you take smaller bites than you normally would, which I like. Even with forks and spoons, I always use tiny little ones so chopsticks are a welcome and fun change.

35. I had no idea that you grew up in Japan! SO COOL!!!!
    I am awful, AWFUL, at using chop sticks. I have serious issues.. it’s very sad.

36. erintakescontrol says:

I can’t use chopsticks to save my life. Tried a million times to learn via YouTube and all that. I end up stabbing the food with one stick and chucking the other one across the room. Oops.

37. Jess says:

Sounds fun! I’m always up for a challenge. And if you saw my chopstick skills, you’d know just how much of a chellenge this is going to be!

38. Jess says:

*challenge*

39. Erin says:

I love using chopsticks — during the year I lived in Korea, it really became second-nature to use them on EVERYTHING. Although eating pizza with chopsticks is going a bit far. That’s what we have HANDS for! 😉

40. Bonnie says:

This is such a fun challenge! I like chopsticks for chunky dishes and pasta, but oatmeal would definitely be more difficult 😉 It’s a good idea to try and eat with them more often! I could use some practice.

41. Tiffany says:

I love chopsticks, although oddly enough as a child, between me and my sister, I was the one who had nearly no chopstick skills! These days I use them all the time, for nearly anything that would normally require a fork. But for anything handheld, I just use my hands.

42. i’m a terrible half-Asian and can’t for the life of my use chopsticks correctly. when im alone, i eat my sush with my hands–and if restaurants would be so kind to offer me those kiddie chopsticks with the rubberband, id enthusiastically accept :) hahaha

43. Monica says:

I’m not so great at using chopsticks, but I love Japanese food and it’s just not right to eat sushi with fork and knife.
    I didn’t know you grew up in Japan either, I thought you only grew up in China! Does that mean you speak Japanese, too?? I can’t wait to go to Japan, I love the culture and the language.

44. Monica,
    Hai!
    Well, a little bit. I’m definitely not fluent, or even conversational, in Japanese. But I know a lot of words/phrases :).

45. Mary says:

Chopsticks ROCK!! I eat every meal with them and when I’m home, my family replaces their untensils for chopsticks every now and then. Of course, they end up stabbing the food half way through the meal..but hey, it counts. 😉

46. Kiersten says:

I use chopsticks when I make Asian meals, but usually by the end of the meal I go back to using my fork. I don’t find chopsticks difficult to use, but I think forks are easier.

47. I love chopsticks, but I typically only use them with Asian food. I’m not sure why I don’t try them with other foods. I bet they’d be perfect for spaghetti.

48. Janna says:

Totally up for the challenge! I love chopsticks and learned to use them from a young age as well because my family was very into Asian cuisine. YUM!

I don`t think I`ve eaten anything weird with chopsticks. I mostly just use them for sushi now, but I can`t wait to try with other stuff!

49. Katie says:

I am all in for this challenge. I really want to do an all chopstick day, but I have a smoothie everyday, an something tells me that isn’t going to go down very well with chopsticks. 😀

50. BroccoliHut says:

I’m a big fan of chopsticks! I love to challenge myself with hard to grasp foods, like scrambled tofu. I love a good challenge, even when it comes to eating!