Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Rated R Ice Cream

I am tipsy.

vegan vanilla ice cream

And it’s not even 10 am…

vegan vanilla ice cream

Uh oh.

This could be a long day.

R Rated Ice Cream

One of my Special Diet Recipes.

• 1 3/4 cups milk of choice, or nondairy creamer (see note below)
  • 1/4 cup hazelnut liqueur (Frangelico)
  • 2 packets stevia (or 2 tablespoons sugar)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • optional: chocolate chips, toasted coconut, etc.

Mix all ingredients together in a dish (except optional ingredients, if they are chunky). Then, if you have an ice-cream maker, simply transfer to your ice cream maker and watch the magic! (I have a Cuisinart, and it took 15 minutes to turn the liquid into ice cream. Warning: Make sure your ice cream maker’s base is completely frozen before use, or it will NOT work!!) If you don’t have an ice-cream maker, but you have a Vita-Mix, you can freeze and then thaw a little and blend.

Click the following link to see the Ice Cream Nutrition Info.

A word about the milk: If you only use milk (such as almond milk or soymilk), it will still taste delicious… But the texture is more foam-y (in a good way, if that makes sense!) than creamy. If you use only creamer or full-fat canned coconut milk, the texture is more like ice cream. (Brand ideas include: Silk creamer, So Delicious creamer, or Good Karma.) If not serving right away, be sure to thaw a little if your freezer is super-cold.

Mmmmm sure beats orange juice in the morning. (I’m kidding, people!)

Question of the Day:

Do you remember your first R-rated movie?

Mine was a few days after my 17th birthday, and I thought it was so exciting. (*Rolls eyes, looking back now*) I went to see The Last Samurai with a friend who’d also just turned 17. We felt so grown-up, showing our IDs to the ticket clerk (who was probably thinking, “Oh boy, more young kids who think they’re so super cool…”) The movie, itself, was just ok.

Side note:

After yesterday’s post, a few people asked me if I, personally, was successfully able to gain weight when I switched from my junk-food diet to a healthier one. Actually, yes I was! It might seem contradictory, but after I gave up the junk, I was able to add—and maintain—about ten pounds to my frame (seen here before I switched to a healthier diet, and above is now). Could I have added more? Probably, if I wanted to work harder at it, forcing myself to eat beyond fullness and counting calories, always planning the next meal. But a couple more pounds for vanity’s sake are just not worth that extra effort to me. I’ll welcome them when they come along, and I’ll continue with my effort to eat a high-energy diet (and try and motivate myself to lift weights. Ugh.), but as long as I’m healthy, I’d rather spend the time thinking of other things at the moment. Strange as it sounds, since I run a food blog, I don’t like thinking about food 24/7!

Now, can we please stop with all the weight talk and put the focus of this blog back where it belongs—on the desserts? Winking smile

Tags: , , ,

1. 1. This sounds delicious! I need to figure out where my ice-cream maker ended up!
    2. First R rated movie was Superbad! I went with my friend Julia and I’m pretty sure we were the only girls in the entire theatre! Ha!
    3. Your eyes look so big and beautiful in that picture!

1. Laura says:

Agreed! You are gorgeous!

2. Looks amazing! Nice spin for an adult treat! A hazelnut liqueur flavor sounds tasty!

3. Haha love the tipsy ice cream! I’m pretty sure my first R Rated movie was Erin Brockavich! Not positive, but that’s the first I can think of…

4. I love frangelico in coffee with a little baileys! It’s such a rich, decadent treat. This ice cream sounds sooo good, especially with some crushed up hazelnuts.

5. Oh yum! I wish I could have a bowl of that! Mmmmmm! ….I have no idea what the first rated R movie I saw was– I’m such a fan of kiddish movies that those others just don’t stick out in my mind. Ask me what the last good G movie I saw was and I’ll be able to tell you 100! 🙂

1. Laura says:

Haha me too! Now that I’m an adult, I’m LESS interested in those gory or explicit movies. I’d much rather watch Nemo ;).

6. Laura says:

Ah, my first rated R movie. I am embarrassed to say it was before I was allowed to be in one. My friends and I all thought it’d be great to sneak in. Unfortunately, that made it much less special when I was actually allowed to see one for real!

7. Erin says:

Fantastic ice cream!!!!!! I used chocolate almond breeze 😉

And I think you look great! <3

But yes, let's return our focus to the yum-yums!

8. Rhona says:

Looks amazing! I bought a single serving ice-cream maker the other day and it sucks so I will just buy a real machine for the summer and start making some treats. Right now in my home town of Ontario, Canada it feels like -17 degrees celcius (real temp is -15 celcius) so no ice-cream for me. 🙂 However, spring is just around the corner.
    You look really healthy and seem to eat healthfully and that is all that matters. Self-care which is obviously important to you.
    My first r rated movie was the shining when I was like 10. I snuck in the corner watching a bit of it it (until I was caught) while my parents viewed it and didn’t know. HUGE mistake as I didn’t sleep for like a month after that.

1. The same thing happened to me with Scream 2. All my (older) cousins were watching, so I watched for awhile too… I had nightmares for MONTHS!

9. I LOVe the liquor in this!!! my first r rated movie was Speed when i was 4 haha

10. I want an ice cream maker SO BADLY, but I keep shopping around and being non-committal.

Which Cuisinart do you have, Katie? Anyone have awesome ice cream maker recommendations?

1. Barb says:

This is the one I have, and I think the same one Katie has?? Anyway, it is the best around from what I have heard! (for the price)

1. Yup, that looks like the one I have! 🙂

2. That’s the one I’ve been looking at and debating buying! Guess I should take the plunge… I really want my own ice cream lol.

11. Samantha says:

I don’t have an ice cream maker but that isn’t going to stop me from trying to make this. 🙂

12. Wow this looks good.

I don’t remember my first Rated R movie. I do remember as a kid having to cover my eyes during parts of movies. I also remember when my older brother went and saw the first Jurassic Park and came home telling mom it was WAY too scary for any of the rest of us to see. How times change. 🙂

13. Bjork says:

Haha, that is the breakfast of a champion hehe

I remember going to see Scary movie without having the age and i felt soo cool haha good times 🙂

14. Love this boozy ice cream!!! And Frangelico is delicious!

15. Mmmm frangelico – delicious!

I am ashamed to admit that my first R rated movie was when I was only like 14 (if that). I bought tickets with a friend (who was 2 years younger than me – sheesh talk about a bad influence on kids…) to go see Madeline, but we snuck into Something About Mary. We felt cool for a moment, and then we thought the movie was stupid because we didn’t get ANY of the humor! Ha. Serves us right. We both felt so guilty that we told our parents the next day.

16. sweet road says:

This reminds me of Humphrey Slocombe’s ice cream flavor “secret breakfast” in San Francisco, they come up with the most interesting ice cream flavors. I can’t say it’s vegan, but it is so delicious! You could check out their website to get some crazy flavor ideas, I know I’ve tried to make my own vegan spin-off of their flavors (I’m lactose intolerant, but I suffer the consequences every time I visit San Francisco it’s that good!). Anyways, Secret Breakfast is sort of like a vanilla with bourbon and cornflakes.

1. Oh I am definitely going to check out their site!

1. Uh oh… this could be dangerous. So many flavor ideas! Head is spinning… 😉

17. Sounds delish and I just bought a bottle of Frangelico.

Secret: I start my days with a healthy splash of Kahlua in my coffee.

18. hehe-that ice cream spin off looks great. I love kahlua so I might sub that in. Love this idea though. I can’t even remember my first R rated movie-my theater didn’t ID people so it wasn’t too big of a deal. Wah. Now that I’m 21, I feel I don’t have very exciting birthdays left 🙂

19. Barb says:

I’ve added Bailey’s to your vanilla 4 ingredient ice cream and it is delicious! I’ve actually been wondering – do you have any ideas of add-ins for your ice cream??? So far I’ve tried the basics – chocolate chips and cocoa powder, bailey’s, instant coffee, sprinkles, mint extract and chocolate chips, berries. But I need some new ideas!! I’m sure you (or some of the other readers of this blog) will have some good ones!

1. Someone above mentioned Humphrey Slocombe’s, and I’m actually on their site right now looking up flavors!

1. Barb says:

Thanks! Wow, some of these look amazing!! others..not so sure about :)”fois gras” and “evil ale”…hmmm

1. What about Dirty Girl Strawberry? LOL wha???

20. oooommmgg, brilliant! I so wish I had some chocolate liquer in the cupboards right meow 😀 I will absolutely be trying this!!