Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Vegan Thursdays, Take One

Cheated a bit and had this week’s Vegan Thursday on Wednesday so I could blog about it on Thursday. But of course I’ll still be eating vegan today (the real Vegan Thursday), too.

Last night, I tried a new product and resurrected an old fave: Butternut fries!

znyc 821

A big bowl of whole-wheat angel-hair pasta (tossed with spices, a little vegan butter, and a lot of broccoli)

With a side of Butter(nut) Me Up Squash Fries. The fries were just as sweet-n-perfect as always. And I fell head-over-heels for the new product: Gia Russa angel hair pasta. If you’ve tried whole wheat pasta in the past and weren’t a fan of the nutty flavor, run out and buy this! It doesn’t taste like whole wheat pasta at all.

znyc 819

gia russa angel hair

Even more exciting than my dinner was that my mom joined me for the meal. I made her the same dinner as me, and she polished it off.

znyc 822

Actually, I made a few changes because she doesn’t like squash fries.  Sacrilege, I know! (She also had a different bowl for her pasta, but I used mine for the photo shoot.

1. JCD says:

Mmmm…. pasta! And I need to try those fries – they look so good. Have you ever tried Tinkyada brown rice pasta? It’s really good too.

The weather here is gross today too, feels like -32C/-26F. It’s a self-declared ‘wear winter boots and fleece to work day’ today. 🙂

2. I love butternut squash fries!

3. I am definitely an angel hair girl too!

4. Pam says:

Any gluten free pasta works for me!

Stay Warm!

5. That is A LOT of brocolli!

I am an Angel Hair girl too! Always loved it.

I just discovered an amazing whole wheat pasta as well: Full Circle organic whole wheat pasta. So good!

I also agree with JCD about the Tinkyada brown rice pasta, I am a fan of it too.

I want to jump on the vegan thursday bandwagon! I’m off to a good start (cereal with almond milk and bananas this morning)

6. Veggiesmack says:

I don’t eat tons of pasta, but when I do it’s usually brown rice rotini or penne.

I live in Fort Worth, and I am totally feeling the cold. Brrr. My car door was frozen shut this morning and the wind was terrible. When it’s this bad, I do my exercise indoors. 🙂

7. *Andrea* says:

mmm looks great! what spices do you use in your pasta?? i love whole wheat fettuccine… my dad’s favorite though is angel hair! squash fries are amazing too of course. greatmeal – if this doesn’t make more ppl try out veganism i dont know what will 😉 …. fudge babies for dessert perhaps!?

8. psychoj1 says:

That pasta looks delicious! I am totally craving some broc+pasta!! Mmm! Yay for vegan Thursday!

<3 jess

9. Mama Pea says:

I just never have really been into pasta. It’s more about the sauce for me, you know?

Yay for Vegan Thursdays!!!

10. Kate says:

Angel hair pasta at home.

Rotini or penne if I’m eating out.

11. eaternotarunner says:

I love angel hair too! But I would say tagliatelle is my favorite 🙂

12. Jessica says:

I had butternut squash last night too! Yum 🙂

My favorite pasta is the corkscrew kind! I don’t mind whole wheat at all, though quinoa pasta is my lastest obsession.

13. Casey says:

Mmm…your pasta looks delish!

14. Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce says:

oh shoot! i already forgot it was vegan thursday, i should have read blogs before eating breakfast!!! argh! that’s ok, next week i’ll try again :). i love angel hair too, but i think shells or rotini (those corkscrews) are my fave bc they hang on to sauce so well!

15. Butternut squash fries! Yea!!! And I’m glad to know about that pasta. I’ve been lookin’ for a good whole wheat angel hair.

16. I love pasta, especially whole wheat. I like the twirly kind; it holds sauce well and it’s fun to eat 🙂

17. erintakescontrol says:

That pasta doesn’t LOOK like whole wheat, either! Good 2 know there is a pasta brand that doesn’t go overboard with the WW flavor!

18. Yeaaahtoast says:

I’ve never been into semolina pastas, I grew up on the stringy wheat, buckwheat, and rice asian pastas like soba, somen, ramen, and saimin.

However, my boyfriend’s mother who has Celiac brought over some quinoa pasta the other night and I LOVED it. It didn’t make me feel bloated like regular semolina pasta, and it tasted great!

If I had to choose a shape though, it’d be orzo all the way! I love that it’s bite size and chewy.

19. Danielle says:

I’m not really a “pasta girl,” but if I had to choose it’d be shells (cuz they trap all the sauce 😉 )
    Feels like 1 degree?!? Girl, that’d be a gym day in my book

20. Yessenia says:

I’m joining in on the Vegan Thursday boat!!

I can eat noodles all day, 365 days a year!