Almond Joy Oatmeal

Sorry I never posted yesterday. I had a busy Earth Day! It was “celebrated” mostly by writing an eight-page paper… but I DID manage to fit in a bike ride to Whole Foods (no gasoline wasted… and I brought my own grocery bags).

And now for some food: I must admit that I’ve never tried this recipe. One of my facebook friends gets credit for it. It sounds possibly a bit sweet for breakfast… but I bet it’d make an ideal chocolate-covered snack! If you try it, be sure to come back and leave a comment, letting me know what you think.

Almond Joy Oatmeal

1 C water
1/2 C coconut milk
1 C rolled oats
1/4 tsp of salt
some chocolate chips
some almonds, finely chopped
sweetener of choice, to taste

Bring the water, coconut milk, and salt to a boil. Add oatmeal, stir to mix. When the mixture returns to a boil, throw in the almonds and the chocolate chips. Cover the pan and remove it from the heat. Let it sit for 6 to 10 minutes, then serve.

1. romina says:

This sounds so yummy! I looove that facebook group. =)

2. Alice (in Veganland) says:

why didn’t I know about this facebook group?! Well, I know now, thanks!

3. ChickPea says:

After seeing this ymmy candy-inspired recipe, I might have to join this facebook group…

4. Bonnie says:

I really don’t know what facebook is about! But if you can get yummy vegan recipes there, it sounds good to me… I made chocolate oatmeal for myself twice now (with cocoa + maple syrup, though, not chocolate chips) and I have to say it’s quite decadent. But good! I like almonds in oatmeal, too, but I’ve never used water or coconut milk in it, only ricemilk so far. Interesting! Thanks for posting the recipe 🙂

5. eleanor says:

Thanks so much! Thanks for being one of my veg-inspirations!
    I’m realllllly excited for the smoothie recipe, although I could probably manage this yummy oatmeal one too..I don’t know of the chocolate chips would be too hard..haha

6. Jennifer says:

I think I’m part of that group on Facebook too. I haven’t checked it for awhile. I really should!

(Happy belated Earth Day to you as well!)

7. Jess - The Domestic Vegan says:

I am totally a member in that Facebook group! I might just have to peruse the members and add you as a “friend.” 🙂

Your oatmeal sounds delicious!

8. aTxVegn says:

It would be a great before bed snack or maybe subbing cacao nibs for choc chips would make it nicer for breakfast. (Actually fruit would probably be best for breakfast.)

9. Lina says:

That sounds pretty good. I love almond joy candy.

10. VTgirl says:

I am totally trying that tomorrow morning!!

11. Ruby Red Vegan says:

i bet this would be even better with almond butter!!! and this probably tastes much better than real almond joy candy. i never liked that stuff.

i think i’m a member of the global vegan network, but i will have to check.

tell your friend thanks for the oatmeal recipe. yay for oatmeal!

12. pleasantly plump vegan says:

sounds great!

13. chandra says:

I will try it for sure once I find coconut milk!!

Are non-vegans allowed to join the group?? If so, I’m joining tomorrow! 🙂

14. Bianca says:

Oh my god, that sounds awesome! I love Almond Joy flavored things…like my fave martini bar’s Almond Joy martini. That’s one badass drink (actually, it’s kind of a girly bitch drink, but I feel badass when I drink it).

15. Sam says:

Now that is right up my alley! Anytime I can get away with eating chocolate for breakfast is okay in my book!

16. LisaRene says:

I’m not a fan of chocolate for breakfast but agree it would be a tasty, healthy snack or “dessert”, kind of like rice pudding. It’s a great idea to use coconut milk.

17. Ricki says:

Sounds like you had a good Earth Day (though sorry about the paper). I think this sounds a bit sweet even for me. . . but I like the suggestion to try it with almond butter!

18. Kumquat Peekapoo says:

Mmmmm… I look forward to trying this one the next time I want a candybar for breakfast 🙂

19. Kumquat Peekapoo says:

P.S. I think we need a German nerd before we can plan our take over of Europe!

20. ~randi~ says:

This recipe sounds delish! I have a love of coconut (especially when paired with chocolate!). I will have to look for this group on facebook as well.
    Happy Earth Day!