Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

My Heart Belongs to Daddy

Remember that one person from high school who seemed to have it all—the looks, the brains, the popularity? Well, if you went to a certain high school on Long Island, New York, then the person you’d be remembering is my dad.

Voted most popular and most athletic in high school, he holds two Ivy League degrees, speaks five languages (although my family isn’t so impressed by this feat—his own dad spoke SEVEN), and is so gosh-darn friendly that you can’t help but like him, despite all of his enviable qualities.

Such an extra-special guy deserved an extra-special Father’s Day breakfast. So, that’s exactly what I made for him.

I dug out my copy of the Voluptuous Vegan cookbook and, with a few modifications, whipped up some light, airy vegan crepes fit for a king… or, at least fit for the guy who thought he had it all!

Look at those gorgeous crepes– Now he really DOES have it all!

(The whipped cream on the crepes is Redi-Whip, not Soyatoo. After all, it was his day, not mine.)

As an after-dinner treat, Daddy Dearest requested we make his favorite cake (definitely not vegan– it has mayonnaise!). I let Mom handle the baking, but the cake-decorating was done by Yours Truly.

(My dad, a former college soccer star, is obsessed with the sport, hence the fondant soccer-playing bear.)

Daddy’s Little Girl :)

1. Monica says:

oh my the cake is beautiful! you are so talented!!

2. lighterportions says:

I LOVE the cake decoration, that is too cute! Those crepes look amazing too. Geez, your dad sure is a lucky guy!

3. Jenni says:

What the heck kind of cake has MAYONNAISE in it?! I’ve never heard of that!

4. romina says:

You’re such a sweetheart, those crepes look delectable!

5. loveofoats says:

Awwwwwwwww your are TOOO sweet – what a thoughtful present for your dad… I am super jealous that your dad got to enjoy that yummy breakfast hehe!

6. Girl Goes Biking and Vegan! says:

Your cake looks so good!

7. magpie says:

Aww that is so sweet! I can’t believe he speaks 5 languages… That’s awesome. I love languages :)

8. springsandwells says:

That’s awesome, what a sweet post. Your dad sounds like a pretty great guy.

I really like that cookbook Voluptuous Vegan, I use it quite often.

9. Caitlin says:

Wow, I am seriously impressed by your dad’s (and your grandfather’s) language abilities! I want to speak 5 languages (someday I hope to be able to do so). Sounds like a nice day for your dad…those crepes look delicious. What did you put inside? I like nutella in my crepes (which sadly isn’t vegan, but I’ve heard you can make vegan nutella with almond butter and chocolate). Were the crepes hard to make? I’ve always wanted to try making them but I’ve heard it’s kind of hard.
    I feel bad that I didn’t make my dad a cake for father’s day–though he’s not a big sweet tooth–but he did request I make him a vegan dinner…I made channa masala. Yum!

10. shellyfish says:

Your dad sounds like quite the catch! I’m also Daddy’s little girl- I really think my dad’s the bee’s knees!

11. Marisa L. B. says:

I love the cake, its adorable!

12. Healthy eating blog says:

aww, your VERY welcome! and i told you last time stop worrying about it! nobody will love your amazing blog any less if you dont comment as much as you used to! :o) also! but since its a bear, it’s not NEARLY as beatiful as you but it still is very impressive! have an amazing day miss chocolate covered “brocci” vegan! hehe just kidding!

13. Ricki says:

Well, seems you have much in common with your dad!! Great photo of the two of you. And that CAKE!! Please, hurry up and open that bakery so I can bake for you (or at least buy the stuff you make!!) :)

14. healthyceliac says:

Your dad sounds like a wonderful person. I’m also a huge daddy’s girl (and not ashamed to admit it), so I think it’s great that you made him such a beautiful cake :) I’ve said it before, but you are so talented!

15. Rural Vegan says:

What a beautiful breakfast and of course, your cake decorating skills are second to none. Your dad is a lucky guy!

16. Vegan_Noodle says:

What a special father’s day for your dad!! I love the little bear with the soccer ball, so cute :-)

And 5 languages?!? I am seriously impressed.

17. Cherry says:

Your dad is one lucky man! That cake is gorgeous.

18. Melissa says:

OH MY GOSH!!! I cannot believe how beautiful the stuff you decorate is!!!

I’m jealous of the crepes – those are my favorite thing in the world! You should come make them for me :)

19. Jenn says:

Those crepes…that cake! You certainly have culinary talent! Your dad is one lucky guy! :o)

I’m curious as to how mayonnaise was used?!

20. jessy says:

you did an awesome job on the cake decorating, and those crepes ARE gorgeous! your dad is so lucky!

21. Alice (in Veganland) says:

With a daughter like you, he truly has everything…
    And look at those crepes! amazing!

22. Traci Anne says:

Awwwwww, love the cake and the crepes and the picture of y’all!

23. Bianca says:

You and your dad look alike. And what a cute little cake your decorated for him!!!

24. Bianca says:

BTW, thanks to this blog post title, I have that creepy song from What Ever Happened to Baby Jane in my head now.

25. Sanja says:

Everything looks wonderful; it’s so sweet you did all that for your dad!

And I’m pretty curious.. what languages does your he speak?

26. Vegyogini says:

The incredibly talented CCV strikes again! The photo I posted recently of a Happy Herbivore tester recipe is part of a recipe she posted to the tester site on 5/28/08. I think that should help you figure it out. :)

27. lengslog says:

That cake looks so pretty and clean! You are such a cake decorator!

28. Astra Libris says:

Your crepes are gorgeous, and, as always, you inspire me with your incredible cake decorating skills! (I adore your broccoli story, too… :-)

29. Amy says:

Aw, what a nice Father’s Day! I went on a 5 mile hike with my dad. I wish I had your cake decorating skills!

30. aTxVegn says:

You decorated the cake so beautifully! I’m glad your dad enjoyed his day.

I enjoyed the broccoli re-post!

31. herbivore says:

You cake is so cute! I have notice a lot of people asking about the mayo, you should post the recipe… we can use veganaise :) What flavor was it?

32. Jess - The Domestic Vegan says:

Haha. I feel like a boring broken record, too! In my case, it’s “I promise to post more.” But seriously, sometimes life gets busy & blogging must wait.

Anyway, you are a seriously wonderful & adorable daughter. Your dad sounds like he deserves all that star treatment, too! FIVE languages?! Send him my way so I can get all that smart through osmosis or something…

That soccer playing bear might be the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.

33. ChocolateCoveredVegan says:

Everyone– I posted a link to the mayo-cake recipe in my next post (and answered the question as to what languages my dad speaks).

This time, I was boring and just put strawberries inside the crepes. I figured they’d get enough sweetness from the whipped cream… but if I’d been making them for my mom (who loves sugar) I would’ve sprinkled some sugar on the strawberries before putting them into the crepes. Oh, and when my sister and I were little, we had crepes all the time, and our favorite fillings were orange juice with a little sugar or lemon juice with a little sugar. Sooo good!
    The crepes were actually quite easy to make. I used Voluptuous Vegan as a guide, but I think I’ve heard– from other bloggers– that Veganomicon has a great recipe as well.

34. Veggie says:

what a cute bear, your cakes are always decorated so beautifully.