Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Kabocha Mousse, the recipe

After I wrote the post about kabocha, I received an email from a blog reader asking for the Kabocha Mousse recipe.

kabocha mousse

Katie’s Kabocha Mousse

Serves one, unless you’re insane and decide to share. If you can’t find kabocha, butternut squash and pumpkin work too. Kabochas are shy guys, but many Asian markets carry them.

• 3/4 cup cooked kabocha, mashed (here’s how to cook a kabocha)
  • 1/16 tsp salt
  • just under 1/4 cup milk of choice

Blend the ingredients in a blender or food processor (I use as a Magic Bullet and recommend doubling or tripling the recipe, if using a bigger blender, for smoother blending).

cooked kabocha

Chocolate-Covered Kabocha-Covered Meal of the Day

1. This pudding looks delish, Katie. When I find a kabocha, I will remember this recipe.

Have a great week!

2. Katharina says:

Mission while I’m down in Florida: FIND A KABOCHA SQUASH! Wish me luck :)

3. Cecilia says:

I like your chocolate mousse best, chef! 😀 Uggghhh, I couldn’t get hold of 100% rice milk here in Perth, the ricemilk here has VEGETABLE oil added to it, umm unappetizing?!!!

4. broccolihut says:

Agh! You make me wish I could find kabocha so bad!

5. Emily says:

Ahhh, looks so delish, Katie! I need to find some kabocha really fast!

6. Run Sarah says:

That looks awesome – I must try some of your great ideas!

7. Marianne says:

All this crazy kabocha everywhere. I have yet to find it in my town. Booo.

8. sarah says:

i thought i was the only one who licked blender blades 😀

9. Yasmin says:

Awesome ideas for kabocha. I’m going to have to try these out.

10. LOL, my brain totally overwhelms me sometimes! I have got to get a kabocha. Everyone is talking about them these days. I guess I missed out when you told why you eat everything with chopsticks–so, why do you?:) My daughter would love that!

11. brandi says:

I’m still going with Johnny Depp :)

12. Shelby says:

All the ideas are amazing! I must find more Kabocha!

13. laci says:

Chace is SO hot but I heard he once stated “Sarah Palin is hot” so that takes away from personality points imo
    but I am still a fan! *swoon* :-)

14. justine says:

Yum Katie!! I wish it was easier for me to get kabocha where I live :(. I love it so and I am currently having withdrawals. Your post isn’t helping. Thanks!! haha

15. Maria says:

I looove Kabocha too–soooo good :D.

We sometimes blend it with water and add cinnamon+adzuki beans + sweet rice to make a porridge of sorts. Similar to that kabocha mousse with those additions. I must try it with ice cream and in my oats…maybe even smoothies?

Hope you have a fabulous Monday, Katie!

16. Girl, you can turn anything into a pudding! That sounds like a great way to eat kobocha!

17. Pureed squash is oatmeal is amazing, its my favorite way to eat oats. I love the creativity you have with blending things!

18. JB says:

that lunch sounds amazing. cherry tomatoes are my favorite! i love grape tomatoes too.

and kabocha with granola and milk sounds so good. i bet it would be reallyyyy good with rice milk. i’m SO missing out by not buying kabocha! i’ve only had it a vegan restaurant once, in a japanese curry. it was delicious. you should put it into a curry sometime!

anywho, this post has definitely put kabocha at the top of my “to get” list! :)

19. elise says:

mmm looks so vibrant and tasty! i will def have to try this one katie :)

20. Meg says:

I need to find some of this magical veggie! Or fruit?! Looks delicious! I guess it’s a veggie, duh Meg, since you can sub butternut squash for it. Anywho, I’ll be on the lookout for it next time I’m at Whole Foods 😉 thanks for the great ideas and recipes, keep them coming. I love your food-creativity and I just find all of your recipes so awesome! :) Thanks, Katie!

Have a wonderful Monday!

21. *Andrea* says:

smashed boiled berries for jam!?!? that’s so clever and i can’t believe i’ve never tried it!!! simple, natural and delicious :)

22. Christina says:

Wow, the kabocha mousse looks so creamy and delicious!

23. carla says:

Ive never heard of it before!
    so definitely never TASTED.

shocking I know :)
    yet Im off to rectify that—–whole foods perhaps?

24. Brittany says:

Mm this looks the like the very stuff that dreams are made of. I love, love, love that squash.

25. I just found kabocha for the first time this weekend and it’s lovely! I went boring with it and just steamed, but it sure is rich and sweet! Thanks for the serving suggestions – I still have another big guy to use so I need all the ideas I can get!

26. do you think this would work with canned pumpkin? I can get kabocha squash, but I have a feeling my knife won’t cut it (literally) since I had trouble chopping a zuchinni today!

27. goddessgreen says:

my new blog is up and running

xo Kelsey (Ann-Adrina)

28. OMG this looks like heaven! I’m going to try it soon with homemade almond milk!!

29. devan newman says:

Hey hey!!
    GUESS WHAT!!?? I BOUGHT MY FIRST KOMBUCHA SQUASH! are yah proud!?? haha. I havent cooked it yet though! whats your fav way of doing it??

30. traveleatlove says:

I need to find me some of this kombucha!

31. Coconutgal says:

This is funny, I make it exactly like this (Except no food scale so I have no idea how any grams I use!) but I add in the rice milk just like you do and I loooove sprinkling crushed almonds or ground flax on top– it’s just like pie! Mmm mm. I think my second favorite way (besides by itself in all it’s glory) is stirring into oatmeal. Can’t go wrong with the kabocha.
    Did I tell you it broke my Vitamix? Yes. That’s a whole ‘nother story!!