Healthy Chocolate Sauce

Healthy Chocolate Sauce!

About a year ago, I fell in love with Artisana Cacao Bliss. However, my wallet was not so smitten: $11 for an 8-oz jar? In the interest of saving money, I vowed to attempt making my own Cacao Bliss… it turned out even better than I’d hoped!

Healthy Chocolate Sauce or Hot Chocolate Butter

• 4 tablespoons (60g) virgin coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon (52g) cocoa powder. (For a sauce, decrease to 1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 cup agave OR you can use nunaturals vanilla stevia drops (I use 10 vanilla drops, but if you don’t like super-bitter chocolate, triple that amount)

Melt the coconut oil, either in the microwave or on a candle warmer or in a warm oven. Add the vanilla drops (or agave) and stir. Add the cocoa, then add 3 tablespoons water only if you used vanilla drops. Stir stir stir! Stir until it gets thick like Artisana Cacao Bliss.

For Magic Shell or Healthy Chocolate Sauce:

Decrease cocoa powder to 1/4 cup and keep all other measurements the same. Also, if you re-heat it for a few seconds, it’ll get thinner. And if you freeze it, you can make incredible chocolate bars… or even chocolate chips! Just break up the chocolate bars into little pieces.

Vegan Hostess Cupcake

I used this spread to frost my Cream Filled Chocolate Cupcakes.

Nutrition Information (for 2 tbsp)

• 100 calories
  • 10 grams fat
  • 0 grams added sugars
  • 0 grams cholesterol
  • 2 grams protein
  • 3.6g dietary fiber

Or, if you make the recipe into bars, each 30g bar will have 100 calories (stevia version) or 140 calories (agave version). They also have 11% of the RDA for iron and are very high in manganese as well.

Side Note: This is also good on Homemade Luna Bars.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. I love that stuff too!! I have a jar at home, but I’m still intrigued by making my own. 🙂

2. Sarahishealthy says:

You are my HERO! Bookmarking this!

3. Looks so chocolatey! I’ve never tried the Artisana Cacoa, but I’ve heard mixed reviews. It looks delicious though!

4. Brandi says:

oh man. I need to make this!

PS: If you have a minute today, please vote for me! http://www.stonyfield.com/barnstorming/

and spread the word if you want?

Thanks girl!

5. I did something similar to this and then used the chocolate sauce to dip a frozen banana (on a stick) in. I then rolled the frozen, chocolate covered banana in crushed peanuts. So good!

6. jqlee says:

good work girl! i’ve never even tried coconut butter. i can only imagine what a chocolate one would taste like!!

7. here they want 20 $ for that jar!! well 18.95 but thats pretty much 20 with tax! its so rediculous!!! they know were addicted, so why they gotta make us feel like addicts by having us go broke for it lol <3

8. Kelsey,
    OMG that’s ridiculous! For the small jar? I thought $10 was bad!

9. Valerie says:

That looks amazing, miss Katie. You do your chocolate-covered roots proud :).

10. Marina says:

I never tried anything Artisana, of course, since I’m thousand of miles away from it, but I recently discovered I can make my own coconut butter, and I can’t wait to try various combo’s with it 🙂

11. Yummy! Even though I finally found the coconut butter, my WF doesn’t sell the cacao bliss. I’ll have to give this a try!

12. I still haven’t tried this, it looks so dang tasty I probably couldn’t stop myself from eating all of it.

13. *Andrea* says:

looks amazing!!! i want to swim around in a giant vat of this while drinking/licking my way through 😉

14. Marianne says:

I have a jar of Cacao Bliss that is *this close* to being finished. I may just have to try out your replica, because we all know I love me some chocolate and coconut.

15. Little Bookworm says:

The chocolate butter sounds absolutely amazing! Definitely keeping a note of this recipe. 😀

16. BroccoliHut says:

I’m kind of in love with cacao bliss too but NOT the price tag. Homemade would be cheaper for sure!

17. Aimee says:

Ok, I already bought coconut oil after seeing this post this morning. I’m ready to make it!

18. Ilana says:

…definitely just “taste tested” half the batch. it’s like chocolate truffles on a spoon. brb gotta go get more.

19. Aimee says:

Wow, I thought I’d be the first to make this, but two other people ALREADY beat me to it??? 🙂 🙂

Katie, this stuff is amazing! So good I can’t stop eating it. And you are 100% right that it’s better than cacao bliss, which I was skeptical about until I tried it. My word, it’s good. You just saved me an hour’s drive to my nearest Whole Foods, because I can get the coconut oil locally.
    Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to eat some more :).

20. Effie says:

Some times I cut small pieces of banana, put them on a stick and use the chocolate as dip….I m such a pig