Peanut Butter Banana Soft Serve

vmix1

So remember when I said all I wanted to do in this hot weather was sit around eating salads and ice cream?

Forget the part about the salad. And double up on the ice cream to make up for it. In this particular peanut butter and banana soft serve, the banana gives the recipe its ice-cream-like texture and the peanut butter gives a richness that really does make this recipe taste like actual ice cream. Or, if you omit the peanut butter, you’ll still have a delicious sherbet-like dessert.

vmix2

Peanut Butter Banana Soft Serve

(No added sugar)

• 4 medium bananas, peeled and chopped into pieces (the riper, the better)
  • 3-5 tbsp peanut butter (or other nut butter or sunbutter)
  • optional: pinch salt

Freeze the chopped bananas in a Ziploc-type bag. Later, combine all ingredients in a Vita-Mix or food processor or blender. If you use a food processor or blender, you’ll probably have to add a little liquid to get everything to blend. You might also have to thaw the frozen bananas if your freezer is super-powerful. For authentic presentation, use an ice cream scoop to serve! (If you scoop it all into a container and freeze about 10-15 minutes, the texture will also become a bit firmer like ice cream, as opposed to soft serve.)

For more ideas, be sure to check out the following: 30 Healthy Ice Cream Recipes.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Beth says:

Hmmm i don’t know about weird ice cream flavors buttt my favorites are green tea ice cream and recently I had fresh cheese gelato over a chilled fruit soup.. it was INCREDIBLE!

2. Marina says:

Peanut butter ice cream…sounds perfect for this weather, it’s crazy hot here.
    I think I’ve never encountered such strange ice cream flavors :/
    Green tea was the weirdest for me, I had it once and it was one of the best things in my life. Yum!

3. abby says:

i think the weirdest for me have been the “flavor of the month” they did at b&r. things like bubblegum with gummy worms. weird, but fun!

4. Heather says:

I once had beer gelato!

5. Sarahishealthy says:

Egg Creme! It tastes as bad as it sounds!

6. Inspired says:

I think the weirdest ice cream flavor would no doubt be Garlic! I heard about a Garlic Festival that has it. But I am a garlic lover, so maybe I would like it after all ;).

7. CCV says:

Heather,
    LOL! Is there anything they won’t make into ice cream? 🙂

8. CCV says:

Jenn,
    Amaretto is my mom’s #1 favorite. And wow I am in awe of the fact that you owned an ice cream stand!

9. Dan213 says:

Wait a sec. Did someone say BEER gelato???

10. Jennifer - jcd says:

Beet ice cream seemed really weird when I saw it, but then I tried the recipe and loved it. My uncle says he sees a lot of weird ice cream flavours in Hong Kong: green tea, red bean, pear, and some others I cannot remember.

11. Weirdest flavor, you say? Hmmm…I’d have to go with maple bacon. I saw it in a “gourmet” gelato place and thought it was pretty gross. It was vanilla based with chunks of maple candy and bacon.

12. Valerie says:

When we visited Asia, we saw all kinds of weird flavors. Red bean was a big one. But then again, they probably think OUR flavors are weird!

13. Mary says:

Oh wow, I think I need a Vita Mix just so I can make that ice cream! It looks amazing! 🙂

14. Jo says:

My mum used to make brown bread ice cream a lot – it sounds weird but its really yummy!

15. Jo says:

UPDATE on my attempts to make dark chocolate dreams – sorry have been away on holiday and only just catching up on your blog now… it was AMAZING! No idea if it tastes like DCD but I loved what I created.

16. Kittie says:

I’ve never met an ice cream I didn’t like….but I have had violet soda before and it is wonderful, I’m sure violet ice cream would be great.

17. aw I used to LOVE Pacuigos when I lived in the Dallas area! I tried the violet and it was great! It had a slightly strong aftertaste (in a good way!) and it wasn’t too sweet. I also like their pear flavor but I would always get the Fruiti de Bosco because my cat’s name was Bosco, haha!
    I think the worst I’ve had was the kid’s bubble gum flavor at Baskin Robbins. I used to get it all the time as a kid but hated it…don’t know why I got it! it was bitter from all the coloring and the bubble gum chunks in the ice cream were so cold that you couldn’t even chew them!

18. Ilana says:

There’s a place here that sells lox+cream cheese ice cream. I’ve never tried it though!!

I personify my appliances – my stand mixer is for certain a “she”…she’s ma baby.

19. Katie says:

I saw tomato basil ice cream at a nearby ice cream shop here in Germany. Yuck! That place always has a mystery flavor too and they won’t tell you what it is…you don’t know unless you try it!