Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Peanut Butter Banana Soft Serve

So remember when I said all I wanted to do in this hot weather was sit around eating salads and ice cream?

Forget the part about the salad. And double up on the ice cream to make up for it. In this particular peanut butter and banana soft serve, the banana gives the recipe its ice-cream-like texture and the peanut butter gives a richness that really does make this recipe taste like actual ice cream. Or, if you omit the peanut butter, you’ll still have a delicious sherbet-like dessert.

Peanut Butter Banana Soft Serve

(No added sugar)

• 4 medium bananas, peeled and chopped into pieces (the riper, the better)
  • 3-5 tbsp peanut butter (or other nut butter or sunbutter)
  • optional: pinch salt

Freeze the chopped bananas in a Ziploc-type bag. Later, combine all ingredients in a Vita-Mix or food processor or blender. If you use a food processor or blender, you’ll probably have to add a little liquid to get everything to blend. You might also have to thaw the frozen bananas if your freezer is super-powerful. For authentic presentation, use an ice cream scoop to serve! (If you scoop it all into a container and freeze about 10-15 minutes, the texture will also become a bit firmer like ice cream, as opposed to soft serve.)

For more ideas, be sure to check out the following: 30 Healthy Ice Cream Recipes.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Beth says:

Hmmm i don’t know about weird ice cream flavors buttt my favorites are green tea ice cream and recently I had fresh cheese gelato over a chilled fruit soup.. it was INCREDIBLE!

2. Marina says:

Peanut butter ice cream…sounds perfect for this weather, it’s crazy hot here.
    I think I’ve never encountered such strange ice cream flavors :/
    Green tea was the weirdest for me, I had it once and it was one of the best things in my life. Yum!

3. abby says:

i think the weirdest for me have been the “flavor of the month” they did at b&r. things like bubblegum with gummy worms. weird, but fun!

4. Heather says:

I once had beer gelato!

5. Sarahishealthy says:

Egg Creme! It tastes as bad as it sounds!

6. Inspired says:

I think the weirdest ice cream flavor would no doubt be Garlic! I heard about a Garlic Festival that has it. But I am a garlic lover, so maybe I would like it after all ;).

7. That PB banana ice cream looks sooo good!

Hmm, well we used to own an ice cream stand when I was growing up and we only had regular flavors. We made homemade gelato, so when I was little I thought amaretto was exotic, LOL.

8. CCV says:

LOL! Is there anything they won’t make into ice cream? :)

9. CCV says:

Amaretto is my mom’s #1 favorite. And wow I am in awe of the fact that you owned an ice cream stand!

10. Dan213 says:

Wait a sec. Did someone say BEER gelato???

11. Jennifer - jcd says:

Beet ice cream seemed really weird when I saw it, but then I tried the recipe and loved it. My uncle says he sees a lot of weird ice cream flavours in Hong Kong: green tea, red bean, pear, and some others I cannot remember.

12. Weirdest flavor, you say? Hmmm…I’d have to go with maple bacon. I saw it in a “gourmet” gelato place and thought it was pretty gross. It was vanilla based with chunks of maple candy and bacon.

13. Valerie says:

When we visited Asia, we saw all kinds of weird flavors. Red bean was a big one. But then again, they probably think OUR flavors are weird!

14. Mary says:

Oh wow, I think I need a Vita Mix just so I can make that ice cream! It looks amazing! :)

15. Jo says:

My mum used to make brown bread ice cream a lot – it sounds weird but its really yummy!

16. Jo says:

UPDATE on my attempts to make dark chocolate dreams – sorry have been away on holiday and only just catching up on your blog now… it was AMAZING! No idea if it tastes like DCD but I loved what I created.

17. Kittie says:

I’ve never met an ice cream I didn’t like….but I have had violet soda before and it is wonderful, I’m sure violet ice cream would be great.

18. aw I used to LOVE Pacuigos when I lived in the Dallas area! I tried the violet and it was great! It had a slightly strong aftertaste (in a good way!) and it wasn’t too sweet. I also like their pear flavor but I would always get the Fruiti de Bosco because my cat’s name was Bosco, haha!
    I think the worst I’ve had was the kid’s bubble gum flavor at Baskin Robbins. I used to get it all the time as a kid but hated it…don’t know why I got it! it was bitter from all the coloring and the bubble gum chunks in the ice cream were so cold that you couldn’t even chew them!

19. Ilana says:

There’s a place here that sells lox+cream cheese ice cream. I’ve never tried it though!!

I personify my appliances – my stand mixer is for certain a “she”…she’s ma baby.

20. Katie says:

I saw tomato basil ice cream at a nearby ice cream shop here in Germany. Yuck! That place always has a mystery flavor too and they won’t tell you what it is…you don’t know unless you try it!

21. eatandrun says:

Basil mint! The mint part sounds good, but basil? Um excuse me, but this is ice cream, not a soup! :)

22. Jo,
    Yay!! I’m so excited you were able to recreate it. Don’t worry: I bet yours tastes BETTER than DCD. Homemade’s always better:).

23. Katie says:

That ice cream looks amazing. I may have to make my own, except that it’s not sunny here. I’m more in the mood for soup!

The most disgusting ice cream I’ve ever had isn’t a particularly off flavour – bubblegum. I used to love it, and now the mere thought of it is disgusting. I think black pepper would be kind of good. I really like chocolate chili. It’s sweet with a bit of a kick, perhaps pepper would be the same? Or just weird. Sounds kind of like Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans.

24. Katie,
    That sounds like the Bertie Botts beans in Harry Potter! I don’t know if I would be brave enough to try the mystery flavor lol. What if it was something like “grass” or “earwax”?!

25. I’ve HAD black pepper ice cream before. It was at an Italian restaurant. The waitress was rattling off the desserts and she mentioned that one and we all recoiled in disgust. No one ordered it but she brought us a taste anyway. The worst part was that it was topped with CELERY CHUTNEY. So black pepper ice cream with celery chutney. It tasted as bad as it sounds!

26. Other Katie,
    Ok, that’s just too creepy!! We were writing the same thing at the same time!

27. Looks so yummy Katie. Gosh, what did we do without our Vita-Mixes?!?

There is an ice-cream parlor in Maryland or maybe Maine? Can’t remember. Anyway, they sell lobster ice-cream. Blech! Saw it on the Food Network once.

28. Katie says:

Hello love!!!!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhh this looks good!!! Loved that vitamix had to get in on the hug a fat action!!!

My fave icecream is mint chocolate chip all day long!!!!!!!!!!

29. I used to watch Iron Chef marathons in college and if I learned anything, it’s that they’ll make ANYTHING into ice cream. Scary! 😛

30. LoRin says:

I’ve had wasabi-flavored ice cream at coldstone, a sample. My friend tricked me when I was in middle school because I didn’t know what it was. It was the most disgusting flavor ever!

31. Stefanie says:

That PB banana ice cream looks yummy. There are some crazy ice cream flavors that just should not be made. I have been wanting to try avocado ice cream.

32. vegangal says:

i dont think ive ever seen agross flavor ice cream, just the normal ones well and bubblegum but thats normal right? but never anything weird like other people have been saying. xoxoxo

33. I’ve always wanted to try corn ice cream! I think its really popular in Mexico and central America area. I had a friend who went to Costa Rica and said they had the strangest ice cream flavors there. Corn was her favorite. She said it was nice and mild ad not too sweet.

34. Cecilia says:

Ummm oh I have a few Katie, a few weeks ago, I saw a chef making …. BACON ice cream on tv. Seriously, how freaking gross is that. What’s worse is that he fried the bacon first n then pour the bacon + the GREASE into a mixture of cream & sugar n freeze it. Let’s just say, I nearly have a heart attack just by watching that.

Btw, how are you Katie, I’ve missed you + your blog (Oh, can’t forget about Molly + Henry) 😀
    Bobbie (My fat guinea pig) says hi! :DDD

35. Quix says:

That looks heavenly. And I’m not even a big banana fan. I like rich chocolate-y ice cream, but my favorite flavors are fruity or nutty. I’ve been a big fan of pralines and cream, lychee, cinnamon, peppermint, bubblegum, and something I remember from my childhood at Baskin Robbins – Moonlight Daiquiri?

…I would totally try bacon ice cream. Sounds gross but sweet and salty…I’d need a bite. Just to confirm how gross it is. Yeah. :)

36. Quix,
    LOL have you seen the bacon chocolate they sell? I saw it at Whole Foods of all places!

37. HVL says:

Rose and violet are both fantastic flavours – definitely try them! Rose and violet creme chocoloates (Animal Aid sell vegan ones) are divine. I’m not sure about jalapeno but black pepper sounds interesting (bet it tastes fantastic paired with strawberry – speaking of which, next time you get fresh strawberries try them with a bit of ground black pepper… the sweet and spicy combination is fantastic!)

38. I can’t wait to break out the ice cream maker!! As for shitty ice cream flavors, the least fave I’ve tried is probably the Mint Chip So Delicious Coconut. Not that I don’t like it, but it’s too damn minty. Last time I bought it, the carton sat in my freezer until it got freezer burnt.

39. Katie says:

The weirdest ice cream flavor I’ve tried is wasabi. It was terrible. i love wasabi, and I love ice cream, but they do not go well together!

40. Jess says:

Cantaloupe! Yuck!

41. Michal says:

Oh my gosh that ice cream is just what I need now, it is so hot outside! I honestly haven’t encountered any really weird flavors of ice cream. But my favorite is anything with peanut butter pretzels. I need to find a vegan version for ben and jerrys chubby hubby!

42. Your ice cream looks amazing! I have been really into blending raw pumpkin and frozen vanilla yogurt together… not to “weird” but AMAZING:)

43. Diana says:

Yum, that looks so good! Its like 90 degrees here, so your ice cream would be perfect!

44. j says:

I might have tried the wierdest one out there….For a while Coldstone sold a WASABI icecream. I’ll try anything once, so I took a big bite….. and it was probably the most disgusting thing I’ve ever eaten. I gagged and then spit it out into a napkin (very lady-like I know).

45. Lori says:

That peanut butter ice cream looks amazing! And guess what? I got a VitaMix for Mother’s Day so I can actually make it! So excited to go through your blog looking for all those other delicious creations you have made in your VitaMix. Again, thanks for sharing!

46. Melissa says:

Awwww… “Red bean was a big one.” Red bean paste is one of my FAVORITE THINGS EVER. It’s beans and sugar and tastes vaguely chocolately to me … or something. I make homemade mochi (from vegan yum yum blog! – with canned red bean paste middles. But most of the can gets eaten with a spoon.

I’ll add red bean paste to my banana ice cream and it’s FABULOUS. I make single serving green tea cakes filled with red bean, too. Really, it’s GOOD stuff. Not weird at all. Yummmmmy. Give it a try! Your local asian market should have it or you can make your own with canned adzuki beans (but I’m lazy).

47. Marianne says:

Umm, I’ll take a bowl of that ice cream. A giant bowl. Now. I don’t care that’s it pouring with rain. Peanut butter ice cream = awesome.

You should see this one gelato place here in Vancouver – they have 218 flavours on site. Some are very different – wasabi, beer, strawberries and champagne, garlic. Some are normal – chocolate, vanilla, etc. Some are exotic – mango, durian, lychee. And some are just freakin awesome – baileys & coconut, hedgehog. Here’s their website:

48. lol Katie, someone had to feature the simple but delicious peanut butter for “Hug-a-Fat”. Glad it was you! i love how its slowly melting and all shiny. and since u used the vitamix i totally bet it was quite simple to whip up. so fantastic!

49. Marianne,
    Um, did you just say “hedgehog” is an awesome flavor?

*Backs away from Marianne…*

P.S. If you ever see Mondo Gelato, I think they have one in Vancouver… they used to anyway. We went in Beijing. It was AWESOME!! 😛

Hehe I’m way lazy too! But I used to love red bean foods when I lived in China!

50. Lori,
    If you ever make anything that turns out really well, send me a photo and I’ll feature you! :)
    What a happy Mother’s Day!

51. Katie says:

I always add spinach to my homemade ice cream…I love the green color!

52. megan says:

Okay I have to say that peanut butter ice cream looks mighty tasty considering that is my favorite flavor of ice cream next to pistacio but the wierdest flavor of ice cream that i have heard of is cotton candy. It is one of my least favorite things that was created

53. Garlic ice cream flavor, and I’ve had it. I thought it was quite tasty, however I was at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in CA in the middle of summer. It was so hot out, I could probably have eaten frozen boogers and thought it tasted good. 😛

I personally do not like ice cream with chunks of fruit in it. Yuck. If I wanted fruit bits, I’d eat a piece of fruit.

54. I forgot to mention that I’ve also had purple taro ice cream in China. Very good.

55. I’ve never personally encountered a bad ice cream flavor but I’ve certainly heard of them. The place was attempting dinner flavors..steak & onions, wine, cheese…
    hmph. :/

You’re PB and banana ice cream could kick any of those flavor’s booties!!

56. I can’t even fathom making my own ice cream, I am oh so impressed!

57. Jennifer - jcd says:

I just wanted to tell you that you are awesome! That is all.

58. BroccoliHut says:

I just went to a local popsicle place the other day (called LocoPops) that serves some pretty wacky flavors. I got the “banana-bee pollen” flavor, and Seth got the Mango Chile. Crazy!

59. veganhomemade says:

Oooh, I would definitely try black pepper gelato! I like black pepper maybe a little too much. I’ve never tried a weird or bad flavor of ice cream myself, but I have heard that there is a place in San Francisco that makes foie gras ice cream, which not only sounds gross, it is so horribly wrong.

60. Yum! That’s making me drool! : ) Gotta get a Vitamix, though I could make something similar with my juicer and blender…

61. Melissa says:

If you can’t afford a vitamix, get a NINJA.

I make ice cream in my Ninja all the time.
    I made the PB ice cream easily. Just freeze peeled (never EVER unpeeled, it’s awful to peel a frozen banana!) chunks of banana. Add to Ninja when frozen solid, do your PB, splash of non-dairy milk so it processes well and blend.

The Ninja can handle ice, hard frozen fruit, etc.
    And it’s only about $40 at Target! I love this dang thing. I use it at least 3x a day. I use the blender pitcher to do my morning smoothie, the small processor to blend my oats and make banana ice cream at night. It also makes lovely sorbet with frozen fruit and a bit of milk/water and stevia. YUM. LOVE IT.

1. Sheree says:

I agree, Melissa! I, too, have a Ninja and I love it. You can get the whole big same kit they sell on TV/online at Costco now for $100. I have not seen it anywhere for $40. At our Target, it is $160 for the system. However, this is still a fraction of the cost of a Vitamix. I have had my Ninja for a year, and I use 1-3 times a day, every day, mostly for protein shakes and fruit smoothies.

62. Lulu says:

Where I grew up there is a beautiful pink building that houses a Gelatoria that has over 200 hundred flavors ( all the time and are famous for their strange ones like Gorgonzola,Danelion, or Curried Corn. My favorite was always Bailey’s Irish Creme or the champagne sorbetto. This recipe is delightful – I like to add in a splash of oconut milk for that something extra in creamy flavour!

63. Sheree says:

Had two frozen bananas in the freezer (as I always cut up and freeze bananas when they start to brown), so I made “half a batch” in the food processor. Only had to add about a TBSP of almond milk, and it was perfect. Just like PB Banana soft-serve. Another winner, Katie.

64. Linda Bonnell says:

We purchased a Yonanas machine for Christmas last year. I bought one for my sister & one for myself. It makes ice cream out of frozen bananas plus you can add other frozen fruit with the bananas to change up the flavor. Amazing!!

65. Melissa Christel says:

If I don’t have a blender, can I do it by hand?

66. Anonymous says:

Okay, how ripe can your bananas be? I have some overly ripe – like brownish on the inside bananas but I still froze them…. How ripe is too ripe?

1. Yours sound fine! It’s hard for them to be too ripe, unless they’re moldy.

67. Crystal says:

Yum. I made mine with “magic shell” on top. And I’m so glad I did. It was like Reese’s ice cream.

68. Alexandra says:

:-O This looks so good!

69. This is currently my dessert of choice recently. I made this but with more PB in the mix and only one banana at a time. I have tried it with frozen banana and mango. All yummo. Next I will be doing a mixed berry one. You can make your own Dairy free one with Coconut milk which is just as yummy too.

70. do you have the nutrition facts on this?

71. Christina says:

Hi Katie!
    I recently acquired a VitaMix from a friend and have been playing around with green smoothies. Everything always come out very warm. I’m afraid trying this ice cream in that, as apposed to my Ninja that I usually make ice creams in, would leave me with a soupy mess. What am I doing wrong?? I’d live to use the VitaMix for everything if I can get it figured out :)

72. Am says:

This is delicious!!!

73. Qbey says:

my all time favourite! <3

74. Anjali says:

This looks fantastic! I’ve made ice cream in the vitamix using frozen bananas but never thought to add PB!! Thanks!

75. Julian Kingman says:

I’ve found you can use half banana/half ice (for reduced sugar), and put in pretty much anything else and get a good flavor of ice cream. Don’t use any water. I do this with protein powder sometimes, which makes it a healthy treat (and add Stevia if needed).
    It only works with a high power blender that has a tamper, though, because you’ve got to mash the stuff down until it’s uniform. As a side benefit of this, when you mash the contents with the tamper, it makes a very ice-creamy texture.

76. Kari says:

The weirdest frozen dessert, gelato, I ever had was Basil Cream. Hands down the best frozen dessert I ever had as well!!

77. Kate says:

The weirdest flavour ice cream I’ve seen but I didn’t try it because I didn’t like the sound of it, Was this crazy ice cream shop in the states and they had pizza ice cream!