Raspberry Cobbler Bars

Take your cobbler to-go!

I created these to compliment the Deep-Dish Cookie Pie at our Memorial Day party.

Put in charge of dessert, I figured people wouldn’t want two chocolate selections. (Silly people. Don’t they realize two chocolate desserts are better than one?)

raspberry bar

Thanks to their portability, these bars make really good breakfast bars, too.

Raspberry Cobbler Bars

(makes 8-14 bars)

• 1.5 cups spelt flour or oat flour (to make oat flour, you can grind oats in a food processor)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup applesauce (see notes, below)
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar (see notes, below)
  • 2 cups (8oz) fresh or frozen berries
  • 2 T maple syrup or agave
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Stir together the first six ingredients. Scoop half of the dough into a small, oiled glass dish (or any small pan). In a separate bowl, stir together the other ingredients. Layer them into the pan, then top with the rest of the dough from the first pan. Bake for 35 minutes at 350F, then cool before cutting.

See the following page for the Calorie Information.

Fat and Sugar Notes:

These bars are fat-free. If you’re not a fan of fat-free baked goods (or just want a deeper, more buttery taste), I recommend replacing some or all of the applesauce with margarine or shortening. As for sugar, the subtly-sweet bars have the perfect sweetness if you’re eating them for breakfast, if you’re planning to top them with vegan ice cream or whipped cream, or if you don’t have much of a sweet tooth. If, however, you’re looking for more of a dessert-like (super-sweet) bar, you can increase the sugar to 1/2 cup and double the maple syrup. (Of course, you can also use stevia if you wish.) Personally, I really like these without any added sugar (except the maple syrup), and with coconut butter in place of half the applesauce. But try that version at your own risk!

rasp bar

Question of the Day:

What are your favorite snacks that don’t have chocolate?

Peanut butter? Pumpkin? Currently, I love Snickerdoodle Dip.

My favorite non-chocolate desserts usually include either coconut butter or a carrot-cake theme. But honestly? Most of my favorite desserts have chocolate! (Ooh, just thought of something: You can add chocolate chips to these bars!)

Tags: ,

1. Um, YUM!! Oh Katie My Matey you make my DAY with your yummy creations!! I need to get me some berries, and then I am SO trying your version with coconut butter (and chocolate chips too of course! 😉 )

Fave snack that doesn’t have chocolate HAS to involve nut butter, because I can’t have food that doesn’t involve either of my two favourite things haha! Saying that, I have yet to try your snickerdoodle dip, so things may change… 🙂

P.S. You’ve got it right. Two chocolate desserts is twice as good as one!! 😀

2. Tricia says:

Yum! A non-chocolate dessert would def have to include vanilla or fruit (or both!)

3. Jenny says:

I have to agree: two chocolatey desserts are better than one… but this fruity dessert was probably so good that they all conveniently forgot that fact. XD

Favourite snack that doesn’t involve chocolate? Hmm yeah, nut butters and fruit – as some others have said – are favourites… but I also loved those pumpkin-spiced roasted chickpeas on the blog “Peas & Thank You”! Unexpectedly delicious. 😀 Just as your garbanzo-based blondies were unexpectedly delicious… I think those are another non-chocolatey favourite snack.

4. Matcha or mocha muffins/pancakes and sweet peanuts. I can’t thing of anything else. Oh no.

PS: When I’m make your Raspberry Cobbler Bars, I’ll most definitely be adding cocoa powder! 😉 (not that it wouldn’t taste good without it!)

5. Yummy! When it comes to non-chocolate deserts, I’m a big fan of pie! Pumpkin pie, apple pie and cherry pie are my faves 🙂

6. Sarah says:

These look great, thanks! I will be trying mine with blueberries!
    It says bake for 35 minutes but at what temperature??

1. Oops sorry about that! It’s 350F

1. Sarah says:

Thank you! 🙂 I so enjoy looking at your food pics and reading the stories behind them!

7. Lauren W says:

Mmmm…these are perfect for the summery weather! Next time I have some raspberries and some time to bake, these are definitely going to be made! How do you come up with all of these genius ideas? 😀

1. Lauren W says:

Oh and my favorite snacks without chocolate……fruit with nut butter or cereal!

2. Somebody made a blueberry pie bar on foodgawker… when I saw that, I knew I had to try making cobbler in bar form too!

8. I RUV COBBLER ! I LOVE BARS!.. put em together and BAM!

PEANUT BUTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

enough exclamation points for ya?

1. Nope, I need a few more ;).

9. tea-bag says:

currently i’ve been obsessed w/ protein smoothies mixed w/ greek yogurt, vanilla extract, & cinnamon. it’s like a snickerdoodle smoothie in a bowl! so good!

10. Leslie says:

In the oven now!
    I’ll report back soon ;).

1. Leslie says:

They are delicious, Katie, thank you! But why am I surprised? Every recipe of yours that I’ve ever tried has been delicious :).
      I’m going to have another one later, for snack. If I can wait that long ;).

11. Erika K says:

Oh I am going to make these for sure! Don’t be mad, but chocolate isn’t my favorite dessert food! I like it, but something like this is much more up my alley.

12. Vegan Gal says:

They look so beautiful! Almost other-worldly :). I bet they taste delicious too. I love raspberry anything :).

13. Aja says:

My favorite snack without chocolate is some kind of fruit with peanutbutter. Peanutbutter on apples or bananas is delicious.
    I need to make those bars, but I don’t have either flours. And I don’t have a food processor. Every time I go on here I’m reminded why I need one. Guess it’s time to save up. Raspberries have to be my favorite fruit. But I love all fruits.

1. You can sub white flour, if you have it! 🙂

1. Michaela says:

I just made these bars yesterday and they were delicious of course but I don’t have a food processor either and I just made oat flour in the blender and it worked perfectly! ( and I don’t even have a fancy blender it’s like 10 years old lol) hope this is helpful!

1. LOL I use my magic bullet to grind oats… that thing is the best $40 I ever spent! (And actually it was less than that, because I had a 20%-off coupon :).)
          I’m so glad you liked the bars!

14. Wow- these look fabulous! My favorite non-chocolate dessert would have to be any banana soft serve… mixed with fruit- especially in the summer. But I do love chocolate!

15. YUM! These look so good! I bet they would be good with chocolate chips, too…

16. Those look great! I’ll bet there’s perfect for crumbling over oatmeal or yogurt.

I think my favorite non-chocolate snack involves almond butter, though pumpkin and carrot cake-esque are also favorites.

17. Yum! I love fruity and light summer desserts.
    Thanksfor another amazing recipe, Katie! 😀

18. This looks so good. I’ve never made a cobbler before but I should.
    A snack without chocolate? Is there such a thing? Maybe pumpkin pie!

1. Abby says:

Mmm chocolate chip pumpkin pie!

19. Jen says:

My favorite snacks that don’t involve chocolate usually involve fruit, peanut butter, or something creamy like yogurt. If a snack doesn’t involve chocolate, or one of those things, it’s probably a savory snack!

And I really like the idea of chocolate chips to this recipe. I love chocolate and raspberries together. Chocolate and cherries is great too!

1. Agreed! I think chocolate-raspberry is my favorite combination ever. Chocolate-coconut might be a close second… or chocolate mint :).

20. Mellie says:

I actually like a lot of desserts without chocolate-fruity, caramel, or white chocolate desserts (to name just a few) are all amazing! I do love chocolate though…these actually might be good with chocolate in them.