Healthy Hostess Cupcakes

Healthy Hostess Cupcakes!

healthy hostess cupcake

Hostess cupcakes iced with Hot Chocolate Butter.

vegan hostess cupcake

Along with yesterday’s Healthy Cookie Dough Dip, I brought these cupcakes to Sunday’s pirate party.

For a while now, I’d been looking for an excuse to try making a healthier version of the popular creme-filled cupcakes. So when I discovered I could stretch the “yo ho/ ho ho” pun and pass these off as pirate-themed, I knew they had to be made. Unlike Hostess’ cupcakes, mine are whole-grain, low in fat and calories, and free of high fructose corn syrup and trans fats.

But seriously, people will eat them up!!

homemade hostess cupcakes

• 1 and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt of choice, such as SoDelicious
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 3 tbsp oil
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice
  • marshmallow fluff – I use my Vegan Marshmallow Fluff

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients, then add wet – excluding marshmallow fluff. Don’t overmix. Pour into cupcake tins, and bake for 15-20 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool, then cut or poke holes in the tops and scoop in the cream. Re-cover the tops. (Recipe continues below.)

healthy hostess cupcake

Frost cupcakes with warmed Hot Chocolate Butter or with melted chocolate chips. Then put the cakes in the fridge for the frosting to harden. Once hard, you can use an icing writer for the tiny squiggles if you wish. Yes, I know the icing isn’t healthy. But it’s only like a 1/8 tsp, so I still feel justified in calling these cupcakes healthy.

vegan hostess cupcake    homemade hostess cupcakes

An alternative to the creme:

Try stuffing them with Healthy Cookie Dough Dip.

Or, you could imitate some of the people at the party and dunk these cupcakes into the cookie dough dip. Sugar on top of sugar. So much for this being a healthy dessert blog!

Tags: , , ,

1. Alyssa says:

Yum! These look delicious and so authentic!

2. Nikki says:

Those are beautiful looking and bring me back a few years!!! My mom and I used to share a pack of them growing up!

3. Ashley says:

OH wow! These are gorgeous:) I’m needing a chocolate fix today, I can feel it, so I might be whipping up a batch of these!

4. caroline says:

these are so creative! i love it, i will have to try and make them! i have never poked holes in my cupcakes, but i guess i have to try it now! 🙂

5. I want a cupcake!!!!!! These are delicious- looking, as usual!! I must make it! 😀 Soon! 😀

6. Holy chocolate – these look amazing! I think these sound like a great treat to bring to work to share (so I don’t eat the whole batch). 🙂

7. Melissa says:

Yo ho ho indeed! Love it!

8. These look amazing!!! That picture with the glaze dripping down the side has me seriously craving a cupcake!

9. Wow! What a sweet recipe! They look even better than the hostess cupcakes 🙂

10. They look so pretty too!!! …. Yo-ho-ho! 🙂 You’re so smart!!!

11. Anonymous says:

Wow! You certainly are the “hostess” with the mostest! (cheesy, I know) But these look absolutely delicious! Do you think you could put your coconut whipped cream in them?

1. YES!!! I actually thought about that… but then I know a lot of crazy people don’t like coconut, so I went with the safer alternative of the marshmallow creme.

1. Nina says:

I’m so glad I checked the comments before asking my question. I’m in Australia and have never seen marshmallow creme. I was going to ask about an alternative. So thank you ‘Anon’ and Katie! I can happily make and use whipped coconut cream. 🙂
        Oh, and this recipe looks devine. I love that you manage to create healthier versions of even the most wicked of treats.
        Thank you Katie!

12. Um yes please!! Send them all my way! I swear I won’t eat them all in one sitting … or I’ll try not to!

13. christie freeman says:

Oh me, oh my! I know I’ll be making these for my little boy, sometime soon. Whoohoo!

14. Jenny says:

You can bet I cringed initially at the recipe title. 😛 “Cream?! NOOO!” And then I realized it was marshmallow cream… and all was right in the world again, haha.

Once again, the “visuals” here are stunning! Not only are the photos amazing, but you are getting better and better at food styling and decorating with each passing day…

I’ve never had a Hostess cupcake, but the squiggle on top is so cute. 🙂

1. Oh Jenny, never fear. I love being vegan so much… I have no plans to ever change :).

15. Oh my… these cupcakes Are my favorite of the packaged dessert variety! Must try this out. 🙂

16. Michaela says:

yes, please, I want one 🙂

17. Alyssa says:

Avast and set sail for the land of Texas, mateys! We be going’ fer the treasure! Nay, not gold, but cream-filled cupcakes. A prize above rubies, me hearties!
    What say you? Aye, it be true. Texas be too far and too hot fer the likes of us. (Plus we be too scurrilous and scoundrel-like for the fair Katie!) Change course! Set course fer Kroger, me lads! We’ll be creatin’ our own treasure, aaaaarrgh!

1. Ok seriously, funniest comment ever.

I wish I could reply in pirate speak, but I am lousy with the language :(. I wonder if Rosetta Stone could help me there…

Arrrrr! 🙂

1. Alyssa says:

That would be so great: Rosetta Stone for Pirate-Speak!

18. These look even better than the pre-packed version! I would devour those immediately 🙂

19. So PRETTY!! I want to eat my screen mmm 🙂 Your photography is so so amazing!!! And since your offering, I definitely take the cupcake!! But I might have to save it for later because I may or may not have just had four slices of your cake… 😛

1. Ooh I just had two. You beat me. Better go have two more…

20. WHHY ARE YOU SO COOL
    you are SO CREATIVE! like probably the most creative girl i have ever ‘met’
    ONE DAY!