Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Healthy Hostess Cupcakes

Healthy Hostess Cupcakes!

healthy hostess cupcake

Hostess cupcakes iced with Hot Chocolate Butter.

vegan hostess cupcake

Along with yesterday’s Healthy Cookie Dough Dip, I brought these cupcakes to Sunday’s pirate party.

For a while now, I’d been looking for an excuse to try making a healthier version of the popular creme-filled cupcakes. So when I discovered I could stretch the “yo ho/ ho ho” pun and pass these off as pirate-themed, I knew they had to be made. Unlike Hostess’ cupcakes, mine are whole-grain, low in fat and calories, and free of high fructose corn syrup and trans fats.

But seriously, people will eat them up!!

homemade hostess cupcakes

• 1 and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt of choice, such as SoDelicious
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 3 tbsp oil
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice
  • marshmallow fluff – I use my Vegan Marshmallow Fluff

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients, then add wet – excluding marshmallow fluff. Don’t overmix. Pour into cupcake tins, and bake for 15-20 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool, then cut or poke holes in the tops and scoop in the cream. Re-cover the tops. (Recipe continues below.)

healthy hostess cupcake

Frost cupcakes with warmed Hot Chocolate Butter or with melted chocolate chips. Then put the cakes in the fridge for the frosting to harden. Once hard, you can use an icing writer for the tiny squiggles if you wish. Yes, I know the icing isn’t healthy. But it’s only like a 1/8 tsp, so I still feel justified in calling these cupcakes healthy.

vegan hostess cupcake    homemade hostess cupcakes

An alternative to the creme:

Try stuffing them with Healthy Cookie Dough Dip.

Or, you could imitate some of the people at the party and dunk these cupcakes into the cookie dough dip. Sugar on top of sugar. So much for this being a healthy dessert blog!

Tags: , , ,

1. Alyssa says:

Yum! These look delicious and so authentic!

2. They look perfectly “cloned”!! Love the little swirl design on top. Great job! Yummy 😀

3. Nikki says:

Those are beautiful looking and bring me back a few years!!! My mom and I used to share a pack of them growing up!

4. They are so adorable!!!!! Katie, the pictures are fabulous! Great job 😀

I remember eating a hoho once when I was little…they made me sick even back then! Blech! So sweet and processed…

5. Ashley says:

OH wow! These are gorgeous:) I’m needing a chocolate fix today, I can feel it, so I might be whipping up a batch of these!

6. Maya says:

Yum! These look amazing. What do you use to poke the holes in them? I always make such a mess doing that! But that means more scraps to taste, so it’s not the end of the world :)

1. You have options :). You can cut holes out with a knife from the top (and then replace the tops after filling), or you can poke a hole with your finger or the bottom of a knife. Or you can even shove a filled pastry bag up the bottom. I know that sounds bad lol!

1. Melissa says:

I use a frosting gun/tip and put it through the top of the cupcake. The the hole is covered by the frosting top. (And I realize I’m commenting nearly a year later but if it still helps…) :-)

7. caroline says:

these are so creative! i love it, i will have to try and make them! i have never poked holes in my cupcakes, but i guess i have to try it now! :)

8. I want a cupcake!!!!!! These are delicious- looking, as usual!! I must make it! 😀 Soon! 😀

9. Holy chocolate – these look amazing! I think these sound like a great treat to bring to work to share (so I don’t eat the whole batch). :)

10. Wow, these look too good! I could fancy a whole batch of them right now!

11. Melissa says:

Yo ho ho indeed! Love it!

12. These look amazing!!! That picture with the glaze dripping down the side has me seriously craving a cupcake!

13. Wow! What a sweet recipe! They look even better than the hostess cupcakes :)

14. They look so pretty too!!! …. Yo-ho-ho! :) You’re so smart!!!

15. Anonymous says:

Wow! You certainly are the “hostess” with the mostest! (cheesy, I know) But these look absolutely delicious! Do you think you could put your coconut whipped cream in them?

1. YES!!! I actually thought about that… but then I know a lot of crazy people don’t like coconut, so I went with the safer alternative of the marshmallow creme.

1. Nina says:

I’m so glad I checked the comments before asking my question. I’m in Australia and have never seen marshmallow creme. I was going to ask about an alternative. So thank you ‘Anon’ and Katie! I can happily make and use whipped coconut cream. :)
        Oh, and this recipe looks devine. I love that you manage to create healthier versions of even the most wicked of treats.
        Thank you Katie!

16. Um yes please!! Send them all my way! I swear I won’t eat them all in one sitting … or I’ll try not to!

17. christie freeman says:

Oh me, oh my! I know I’ll be making these for my little boy, sometime soon. Whoohoo!

18. Jenny says:

You can bet I cringed initially at the recipe title. 😛 “Cream?! NOOO!” And then I realized it was marshmallow cream… and all was right in the world again, haha.

Once again, the “visuals” here are stunning! Not only are the photos amazing, but you are getting better and better at food styling and decorating with each passing day…

I’ve never had a Hostess cupcake, but the squiggle on top is so cute. :)

1. Oh Jenny, never fear. I love being vegan so much… I have no plans to ever change :).

19. Oh my… these cupcakes Are my favorite of the packaged dessert variety! Must try this out. :)

20. Michaela says:

yes, please, I want one :)

21. Alyssa says:

Avast and set sail for the land of Texas, mateys! We be going’ fer the treasure! Nay, not gold, but cream-filled cupcakes. A prize above rubies, me hearties!
    What say you? Aye, it be true. Texas be too far and too hot fer the likes of us. (Plus we be too scurrilous and scoundrel-like for the fair Katie!) Change course! Set course fer Kroger, me lads! We’ll be creatin’ our own treasure, aaaaarrgh!

1. Ok seriously, funniest comment ever.

I wish I could reply in pirate speak, but I am lousy with the language :(. I wonder if Rosetta Stone could help me there…

Arrrrr! :)

1. Alyssa says:

That would be so great: Rosetta Stone for Pirate-Speak!

22. These look even better than the pre-packed version! I would devour those immediately :)

23. So PRETTY!! I want to eat my screen mmm :) Your photography is so so amazing!!! And since your offering, I definitely take the cupcake!! But I might have to save it for later because I may or may not have just had four slices of your cake… 😛

1. Ooh I just had two. You beat me. Better go have two more…

you are SO CREATIVE! like probably the most creative girl i have ever ‘met’
    ONE DAY!

25. These look awesome! Is there an easy substitute for the yogurt ?

1. What kind of substitute do you mean? (In other words, do you want to stay away from the yogurt because it has a particular ingredient you can’t have, like soy or coconut? Or can you just not find nondairy yogurt?)

1. I do not eat soy. I didn’t even know there was a coconut yogurt that didn’t have dairy or soy?

We unfortunately do not have a wide variety of items in the local shop so it’s challenging to find acceptable substitutes. Was wondering if you added the yogurt for the moistness factor or as a thickening agent or for flavor, etc etc…

1. The SoDelicious ones don’t have any soy :).

But if you can’t find them… I’m really not sure. More applesauce might be an option, but I can’t say I’ve tried it so I can’t guarantee it would work. I *think* it would work, though. If you try it, let me know how it turns out!

2. CouchCricket says:

I have some alternatives for you:
          1) Substiture with vegan sourcream (not sure if it is tofu-free).
          2) Add vinegar to equal amount of milk (as yogurt), let it curdle for sometime and then use in the recipe.
          3) This is a far-fetched alternative, but anyway: You could order Yogurt Cultures from Amazon and make your own yogurt in your choice of milk :)

I would not advise using more applesauce, for it would leave an after-taste not many prefer.

1. Thanks a bunch for the info you guys! :)

26. Love these. Okay, I wouldn’t eat them myself, but LOVE that you can veganize the “classics”.
    A place by us had they veganized, and they were a big hit!

27. to answer your question…I would LOVE a cupcake :-)!!! Your amazing katie!!

28. Holy fudgemonkies girlfriend!!!!! Send me some please in a college care package?! <3

29. I love the authentic Ho-Ho swirls on top :) But shouldn’t there be frosting in the middle of the cupcake too?

1. There’s marshmallow fluff inside! Even better than frosting! :)

1. Ok I totally missed that part — and I even read the title thinking “where is the cream?” DUH :)

1. CCK says:

I dropped the ball on this. I need to do another post showing the cream filling photos! Where is my head???

30. OMG! Anything iced and stuffed with Ricemellow Creme is alright by me!

1. Haha I carried two tubs back with me from NYC… because dumb old TX hasn’t gotten its act together yet to sell it!

31. yummy- those look like the real thing! 😀

32. Amber K says:

They look just like the real thing and I bet they taste way better!

33. You must be everyone’s favourite party guest! I might try these with brown rice syrup or agave nectar. Thanks!

34. Eric Jaffa says:

What would happen if the cornstarch were left out?

1. They might not hold together as well… but really, I don’t know. I based this recipe off of my “go-to” chocolate cupcake recipe, and as I say in that post, those are based off of a vanilla recipe from a cookbook. The cookbook author (genius Isa Chandra Moskowitz) called for cornstarch, so I trusted her ;).

35. awww these are so cute! You should make healthy twinkies! And zebra cakes. I used to loveee zebra cakes. Do you usually make one sweet version, and one non-sweet version for you to try? Or do you just try the sweet version?

1. Often, I’ll make a whole recipe (dry ingredients) and then divide it into 1/2s or 1/4ths and do different things to each 1/4. For this one, though, I just made them all the same.

36. Kerryne says:

Oh man… I immediately got out my notebook to add this to my post competition recipes to try, and I surprised myself with how ferociously I wrote it. My handwriting has never been so big and intense. Need chocolate much? Yes, I think I do! :)

37. Oh my gosh- these look amazing!! I’ve actually never had a real Hostess cupcake but these look like something I def want to try! And let’s get serious… I ALWAYS want a cupcake! I used to be cupcake obsessed and my friends even bought me a Juicy Couture cupcake necklace for my bday one year!

38. Hannah says:

Stunning photography and such a creatively adapted recipe! I’ll bake these as a surprise for my mum, Hostess cupcakes were her childhood favourite.
    Do you think that your ‘healthy whipped cream’ recipe would work in place of the Ricemallow as we don’t get it over here?

1. I think it would!! If you try it, let me know how it turns out! :)

39. I’ve never had a real Hostess but I’d bet these taste a million times better! They look divine!

40. Grishma says:

How to talk to pirets..hmm..good question!! Never thought about it but may be sign language will be the best way to talk :) BTW I will not mind grabbing one of these amazing cupcakes :)

41. Grishma says:

looks like I replied in wrong post about piraets…oops!!

1. Haha no worries… these are pirate cupcakes, so it’s still relevant! :)

42. They’re so cute!! Gosh I need to get into baking again. I bet I could get one of my roommates to taste test. Or I could bring my leftovers to the boyfriend’s apartment!

43. Anonymous says:

Your baked version looks delicious, like all your recipes. Gorgeous pics. I make a good raw version, too, (, but I still would try one of your healthy baked chocolate cream-filled cupcakes.

1. CCK says:

Gah! Gorgeous!!! But then again, I shouldn’t be surprised. You’re the same person who made INCREDIBLE raw girl scout cookies. (I still point people to that page all the time!)

44. You’re right; this does work with the wrong info. I accidentally left it blank. Too funny. I think you knew it was me :-)

45. Anonymous says:

Hi Katie. For some weird reason this is saying that i’m logged in as Katie or something. Huh? Anyway i follow a baking blog that i really love. I stumbled on a post that made me laugh out loud! HILARIOUS! It certainly brightened my day, and i think you would like. Here is the link- hope you enjoy. Please understand i’m not trying to spam you or anything, sorry if it looks that way. Also be assured, i am not related to this person and don’t know her personally. I just wanted to brighten your day :)

1. CCK says:

Thanks for sharing, Sarah. Her photography is spectacular!

1. Sarah says:

isn’t it? But, you’re photography is just as gorgeous as hers, no i am not a flatterer :) it’s just the truth

46. I made these for my birthday one year!! So much fun!

47. bitt of raw says:

mmmm fauxtess! that’s what the vegan bakery around here calls them. i’ve had one or two. sadly one did NOT have filling. no skimping on filling, ok bakers?

1. CCK says:

Yes!! That’s the most important part! (Maybe they ate it all as they stuffed, and that’s why not enough ended up in the cupcakes? I had that problem with a cake I was trying to make today… I kept eating the filling. Oops.)

48. Moni'sMeals says:

I love this idea here Katie. We all love Hostess Cupcakes, But certainly not the ingredients.

I think we all secretly love these cupcakes because of the pretty white swirls and the magic in the middle. :) I love that you have captured that. RFD in LA makes a great vegan one too.

I hope to give these a try soon!

49. Abhijit says:

Hi Katie, these look delicious! Thanks for posting.

Which brand of icing writer have you used? Or if you made your own, can you share the recipe. I have a hard time finding vegan icing writer. Thanks.

1. CCK says:

I actually used Betty Crocker! As I said, it’s not exactly healthy, but it’s just a small amount. And it is vegan :).

Ingredients: corn syrup, sugar, water, cornstarch, salt, carrageenan, titanium dioxide, sodium benzoate, citric acid

50. ignoring a lecture because I can’t stop staring at these..bravo champ

51. Katie these look sooo good! And they are perfect! The swirls on top look like you are giving Hostess a run for their money! I admit that cake decorating is not something I excel at…it all just turns into a messy art project :)

I love that you filled them with creme/fluff…totally authentic.

I am sure I’ll be seeing these pics on the foodie sites later today :)

52. I used to eat these things all the time after gymnastics. Definitely bookmarking this for this weekend. Like the Yo Ho Ho thing you did there. Very punny :)

53. These bring me back to childhood. So pretty!

54. Krysta says:

Is the ricemellow. Soy, dairy and egg free. If so where do u get it? My sons alergic to so manythings and imalways trying to find stuf for him.

1. CCK says:

It’s called “Suzanne’s Ricemellow Cream” and you can find it often at little health food stores. I found it at a hfs in New York. You can also do a google search and buy it online. It IS vegan, but it has soy.

1. Anonymous says:

Thats what i thought. Do you no if there is any soy egg dairy free alternitaive to use?

55. Aja says:

Oh my yum indeed!

56. Albizia says:

Too good to be true! Me wantz! :)

57. Yum! :) Marshmallow fluff filling sounds SO good!

58. Anna says:

Your recipes never cease to wow me! I want to grab one right now :)

59. These look like the real deal, but so much healthier! Def have to try. Yum!

60. Alexis says:

Hi Katie,

I just wanted to tell you (although you get this all the time) that I love your blog! I just stumbled across it via foodgawker the other day and I’m definitely going to be a reader now. I love your genuine excitement about life, and of course, your delicious looking recipes. Thanks for being such an open and honest blog personality!

1. Chocolate-Katie says:

Thank you SO much, Alexis! I am so glad you found me.
      Sending you chocolate hugs… let me know if you don’t get them. (I will yell at the mailman ;).)

61. Amanda says:

YUM! I think I’ve finally found something I can make my nephew that he’ll love! The problem with him is that he likes run-of-the-mill desserts/sweets whereas I like mixing it up (he just likes chocolate, I like it when chocolate dates things like PB and banana and raspberries, heck even AVOCADO! haha).

I can’t find ricemellow in the shops where I live, do I have your permission to try this recipe with your vanilla “pudding” instead (you know, the agar agar one!) ?? 😉 haha

1. Chocolate-Katie says:

Haha you have my permission… as long as you tell me how it goes!! :) :)

62. Aly says:

These look DELICIOUS! It’s 7:43am and I want a cupcake… I’ve done a Hostess makeover too! What is it about these cupcakes?!

Here’s mine :)

Have a great day!

63. Leashieloo says:

Omg! I love it! That is too adorable and it never occurred to me to make my own cream filled goodies. Oh the things you learn at CKK 😉

64. Lule Dielli says:

Dear Katie,
    I live in Albania and am gluten free. My mother in CA told me about your website. I have tried some of your recipes, and I really like them. I can’t get a lot of GF flours here, only (Corn, and rice, I also can get almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, and peanuts, which I grind in my blender) Can you try to do some more GF recipes but that use only these types of flours instead of Bob’s red mill? Thanks! :)

1. Hi Lule,
      I don’t have much experience with gf baking. I bet you are much more experienced with it and knowledgeable about it! So, if you want, you can be my taste-tester and adapt my recipes to use the flours you can eat. Then I’d be happy to change the recipe posts to include those options!

65. Lule Dielli says:

Also, for sweeteners I only have sugar white and brown, and honey… (and fruit of course)

66. SheilaBmarie says:

I made a few changes: Bobs GF flour with part GF pancake mix, banana instead of oil, part stevia/part sugar, and So Delicious frozen Chocolate Velvet non-dairy ice cream. I also added some milled flax seeds and a little extra vanilla. Believe it or not, I actually got the “approval” from my non-vegan father who has a hard time with anything that doesn’t contain butter!
    I have still yet to win him over with the whole bean browine concept or spinach ice cream but at least these cupcakes are a good start 😀
    Thanks Katie!

1. Oh wow, yours sound awesome! I especially love your idea to add banana!

1. SheilaBmarie says:

I just use whatever I have to work with; it keeps things interesting!

67. Kimberly says:

Ahh these were my favorite as a kid!! I cannot wait to try them!

I am such a chocolate fanatic, I am sooo happy I found your site!

1. I’m so happy you found me too! It’s always awesome to meet another chocoholic… the world needs more of us. Or maybe not… then we might not have enough chocolate ;).

68. Kathy says:

I made these today, but only 1/4 of the recipe (in fear that I’d eat the whole batch in an hour. That can so happen!). My baby half sister, who is 19 or 20 months, loved these! She ate a whole cupcake which is rare for her since she doesn’t like to eat a lot.

1. Awwww this made me smile so much!

69. Ruby says:

Oh my goodness I have to try these! Once in a while I find myself craving a hostess cupcake from my non-vegan days…. but it looks like these would definitely satisfy that craving. I’m absolutely loving your blog, by the way. I’m a relatively new follower and it’s great to find another vegan chocoholic like myself :)

1. Hi Ruby!!!

*Waves like a crazy girl*
      I am so glad to know another vegan chocoholic too! Can you believe I used to think vegans couldn’t eat chocolate?! Oh how very wrong I was! (Thank goodness!!)

70. Nancy D says:

I just put these in the oven– my daughter has a dairy and a soy recipe. The batter was delicious. I used So Delicious Vanilla Yougart and So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk. I can’t wait to try them. I don’t have the ingredients on hand to make the frosting, so I may try to make a ganache instead or my thrownback quick buttercream frosting. Thanks for sharing!! I can’t wait for my daughter to see and then try these beauties.

1. Aw you are so welcome… I hope she likes them!!

71. Kit-Kat says:

I loved Hostess 100 calorie packs during my Fall quarter in Virginia. These look much better!

72. Loved hostess when I was little! Can’t wait to try your made over version!!!

73. Hannah says:

Just made these for my non-vegan family filled with your coconut ‘whipped cream’. Everyone thought they were delicious and addictive! Keep up your recipes Katie, they’re fabulous!

1. Aww, thank you! I am so excited they liked the cupcakes! And apparently it’s National Chocolate Cupcake Day… I didn’t even know that until a few hours ago! :)

74. Sarah says:

Hi! It’s not quite your professed arena without the chocolate, but I happen to like the orange ones (which is a bit odd in itself as I don’t often like orange flavored things. I guess it’s kind of this way: there are other chocolate cakes, but I don’t think I’ve come across an equal orange one.) So, a few questions:
    1. Would you have any ideas how to make these orange flavored instead of chocolate? (I’m still thinking on the frosting substitute)
    2. As I am not vegan, would dairy yogurt work? (probably?) I’m unlikely to have non-dairy yogurt, but I do drink almond milk sometimes, so non-dairy milk could probably happen.
    3. Not related to these cupcakes, but, despite not being vegan, I’m curious about something I read (in another of your cupcake recipes, I think) on a chia or flax egg substitute? Care to point me towards further information on that?

I’m not vegan (omnivorous, actually), but I encountered your blog sometime ago through channels that are lost to my memory because of time passing, and remembered it fondly enough that I was able to look it up today! I’m currently trying the oatmeal trick for breakfast this coming morning, and many of your other recipes sound good.

1. Sarah says:

(And now I feel silly for pointing out that I’m not vegan thrice in such a small space. I was not trying to emphasize the fact, but I suppose that is what comes of writing quite late at night.)

2. Hey Sarah!

I have actually never even seen an orange cupcake, let alone tasted one… maybe try a vanilla cupcake recipe with orange extract?
      And yes, I think any yogurt would be fine.
      As for chia eggs, I’ve never actually used them but if you google “chia eggs” or “flax eggs” there are lots of easy tutorials on how to do it. I probably should try it one of these days :).

75. Pam says:

Thank you for another GREAT recipe!!! I made these and they turned out GREAT!!! I used Splenda for the “sugar”. Then for the filling and the little swirl on top – I mixed tofu with sugar-free white chocolate pudding. It is WONDERFUL!!!!

76. Kristina says:

Just bought the ricemellow creme to make these! Before I start, I just wanted to know: do you think I can use spelt flour? And for the frosting if I don’t have coconut oil, could I use olive?

1. I’ve never tried them with spelt, so I can’t vouch for the taste.
      For the frosting, it must be coconut oil in order to harden.

77. Kristina says:

I just finished making these. Of course I already ate one. INCREDIBLE. I ended up using the spelt flour, too. Soooo good. The frosting is hardening in the fridge now. One question though: Once the frosting has hardened in the fridge, can the cupcakes be stored outside the fridge or will the frosting un-harden? Thank you so much for the recipe.

1. It depends on your outside air temp. For example, right now where I am they COULD… but come summertime, definitely not! 😉

78. Ana says:

Just made these with the cookie dough dip for filling for my family. Huge hit! Thank you. I’ve been trying to convince my parents to accept vegan-ism and your site has been a huge help. Thank you! You are such an inspiration! :)

79. sarah says:

Is there any way that you could make a vegan vanilla cupcake? I like vanilla ones better than chocolate but there are no good recipes. 😛

1. I’m definitely working on it! The first try wasn’t good, but I’m still working :).

1. Mariah says:

I’d also like to see a vanilla cupcake, I’m throwing a baby shower for a friend in June and she desnt like chocolate….vanilla recipe would be awesome!

80. Michelle says:

how many does it make

81. michelle says:

Never mind I made them for superbowl lol etc instead of icing im using more mellow cream 😉 using an icing decorator

1. Aww that’s awesome! I love your idea to put the mellow cream in an icing decorator. I hope they tasted good!

82. Mariah says:

I just made the cupcakes using this recipe, and they turned out super fantastic. Very moist and tasty. I live in a high altitude, so I never know if the baked goods I make will turn out, this one did. Yay. Also I made my own marshmallow fluff from this recipe:

and I made my own corn syrup from this recipe:

Everything turned out great. Although, I’m not vegan, so I didn’t follow everything to a T…I did use reg. milk, etc…and these are sooo sugary and not that healthy…but it’s valentines, so I’m letting my kiddos have them today. Thanks for the recipe!

83. kristi says:

Making these tomorrow! !!!! Love your recipes! Dessert and healthy can be in the same sentence and not with the word not! Yea for chocolate! Also making the cookie dough dip to bring to work,hopefully I’ll fool everyone & convince them to try something new! I’m definitely going to point them in the direction of your blog! Keep up the fantastic work in the name of chocolate!

84. KAtie says:

Hey Katie,

So keen on your recipes just wondering what alternative i could use for applesauce in your recipes? I don’t know where to find applesauce haha

1. For this one, you could use mashed banana or even pumpkin. The flavor will be a little different, though. But it’ll still work! Or maybe even baby food plums or mashed peaches!

85. Alli T says:

How many cupcakes does this make?

86. Alli T says:

How many does the recipe make??

87. Victoria says:

I just made (and ate) these. They are awesome!! I made a couple of tweaks based on the availability. I used brown rice flour, which made the cupcakes so light and yummy, and subed in splenda brown sugar for white. I stuffed it with fluff, but topped it with normal white frosting. These are very rich and messy, and totally delicious!!! Thank you Katie! I think I am going to make these next week for my B-day cake. (Oh, and they make 9 for inquiring minds)

88. Mira says:

Approximately how many cupcakes does this recipe make, and would melted earth balance work instead of the oil? :)

89. sherry says:

how many calories are in one of these cupcakes????its says low in calories but doesnt say how many…..

90. Joelle says:

Just made these cupcakes and they are fantastic! I have made several of your recipes and they are divine! One question if I have leftover cupcakes should I keep them in the fridge? Or are they ok at room temperature? Thanks!

1. With the cream filling, I’d definitely leave in the fridge.

1. Joelle says:

Your amazing desserts that I have tried out for my vegan friends as well as myself are way better then the real thing! I am heading that direction to be Vegan. Keep your yummy creations going! Thanks Katie!

91. Tracy says:

I am having trouble finding vanilla soy yogurt near me. Could I substitute a vegan vanilla/chocolate pudding instead?

1. I think that sounds good… but I haven’t tried so I can’t be 100% sure. If you try, I’d love to hear results!

92. Emily says:

I just used this recipe to make the BEST chocolate cake ever! I added 1 egg white, and 2 tbsp maple syrup and some chocolate chips in the mixture. It was BEAUTIFUL! thanks :) (Baked for 30min)

93. Laura says:

(Just ignore this whole post if it’s a stupid idea)
    Hey Katie! I just got an idea for a recipe and had to run the computer to post it! You’ve already made a recipe for hostess cupcakes, and as you probably know Hostess just went out of business. Why don’t you save all the twinkie lovers out there from hideous withdrawal symptoms and make a healthy twinkie recipe? You could prevent riots and obesity in one fell swoop!

1. I tried once, and they were awful… but you are the second person to mention it today. I might have to try again! In fact, now I really want to :).

94. I love the idea of stuffing them with cookie dough dip! That is the ultimate in decadence. I was never a fan of the over processed Twinkies or Hostess Cupcakes, but I will give these a try. :)

95. Sophie says:

Is there anything you can substitute for the vanilla yogurt?

1. Maybe coconut cream, but I haven’t tried it.

96. Tasneem says:

Thanks so much for all these receipes…esp. for me being new to healthy gluten-free eating!!!
    Have a question…if i replace any gluten-free flours for ur recipes, do i really have to use xyanthum gum, guar gum or pre-starch?
    I really dont want to have to use these as far as possible, but still get awesum results.
    I dont mind using baking powder and baking soda…

Also, for cakes, muffins, doughnuts and biscuits…what flours would you reccommend?
    Chickpea flour has an awful after-taste!!!

Any help/advice from other gluten-free bakers would alo be much appreciated:)!!!!

Please do an article on this…

1. If I’ve listed a gluten-free flour as an option, and if I haven’t called for xantham/guar gums in the recipe, then YES you can use that option exactly as written :).

It doesn’t always work out, but I have good luck in many recipes with gf all-purpose mixes such as Bob’s Red Mill or Arrowhead Mills.

97. Lizzie says:

I just made these, and my cake turned out fantastic. They only had marshmallow cream at my grocery store, and it was a little thick but good. My problem was with the icing or hot chocolate butter. I microwaved the virgin coconut oil, stirred in the agave, then the cocoa powder and stir stir stirred. But then my icing got lumpy and granulated. Did I stir too much? What happened?

1. The oil might have gotten hard. Next time if that happens, just microwave or gently heat just a few seconds (like 10) and it should turn to liquid again.

98. Jessica says:

Oh my gosh, I absolutely love these cupcakes. I just popped ’em out of the oven and frosted them & I tried one.. absolutely delicious! I am so glad you had this recipe! I urge anyone to try this. :)

99. Angela says:

The best way to fill cupcakes is to use a decorators bag and the long round tip just for this purpose. Push it in to the top of the cake and squeeze in the filling. Frost over the hole.

100. Julie says:

You are way better off going to a good bakery and buying a cupcake with normal cupcake ingredients than eating a cupcake with a multitude of unhealthy ingredients, do I daresay a dangerous concoction, including cornstarch, one of the worst things you can ever eat.

101. Iraida says:

Now where do I find organic cornstarch?! :-/

102. Melissa says:

I’m allergic to dairy so what can I substitute for the vanilla yogurt?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Katie’s blog is vegan and there are no dairy products used. Plus, you can find a number of vegan yogurts out there: So Delicious, Wholesoy, Almond Dream, etc.

103. Richard Harper says:

Did I miss nutrition info for the hostess cupcake?

104. Deana marconi says:

Hi, there!
    Love your recipe. I also think you should be a little clearer on how you word you ingredients. As for Sugar: there is reg white sugar (non vegan), or Vegan sugar. It’s really important to let others know the difference between the two.

Here is some info if you don’t already know.

Thanks so much!

105. TriGirlLA says:

These look delicious, but why in the world are these on the Huffington Post “19 Vegan Cupcake Recipes…” list?!?! They have yogurt and milk in them!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Katie’s blog is vegan and her milk and yogurt ingredients are non-dairy.

106. Syd says:

For a sugar-free version, blend a cup of sweet dark raisins, like Sultan, with the applesauce instead of adding sugar. If you blend the raisins into a paste, the cupcakes will not taste like raisins, nor will they have pieces of raisin breaking the texture of the cake. Just moist, cakey, sweet… with no added sugar.

107. Kim says:

First, I just want to say, these look really good! But, I don’t see where it says how many this recipe makes. I currently only have one muffin pan that makes 8 regular sized muffins.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says: