Skinny Mini Jelly Roll Cake for One

Close your eyes:

Imagine you are eating a giant, gooey powdered jelly doughnut…

jelly roll

Welcome to reality.

Looks fancy… but this jelly roll is ridiculously simple to make.

• It’s single-serving.
  • Takes just 10 minutes
  • It can even be fat-free.

I’ve always been intimidated by jelly roll cakes, but this recipe is one of the easiest things I’ve ever made. So even if you don’t think you can cook, you’ll probably have no trouble making this. And it’ll impress the socks off of everyone you know!

jelly roll 3

Skinny Mini Jelly Roll Cake

(Serves 1-2)

• 1/2 cup ww pastry flour, or white or spelt flour (70g) (For a gf version, use this: gluten-free option.)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 100g water or other liquid (That’s 1/3 cup plus 1 T plus 1 tsp)
  • 2 packets stevia (or omit and use 2 tbsp liquid sweetener–such as agave or honey–and decrease water by that amount)
  • 2 tablespoons applesauce
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

Combine all dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, combine wet (including applesauce). Mix wet into dry, but don’t overmix. Pour into a greased 8-in circle pan or a rectangular pan. (Be sure to grease it very well, or the cake won’t come out.) Cook for 10 minutes in a NON-preheated oven at 420F. (You might need to cook it longer, depending on your oven.) Let cool ten minutes before removing cake from pan. Then cut off all four edges so it forms a rectangle (if you used the circle pan). Spread on jam, or whatever else you wish, and roll it up. It’s that easy!

View Nutrition Facts

You can fill this single-serving cake with anything you can imagine: Peanut butter, chocolate chips, fresh berries, frosting, coconut butter, etc.

jelly roll 3

Shown above, with jam and Sugar-Free Powdered Sugar.

Question of the Day:

Do you consider yourself a good cook?

Or are you a walking disaster in the kitchen? Do you like to cook elaborate meals? Or are tv dinners and Chinese takeout your specialties?

P.S. I’m shocked so many of you voted for the non-chocolate recipe yesterday. What am I going to do with you guys?? 😉

Tags: , , , ,

1. ash says:

OMG this. looks. incredible. Massive craving now…

2. Haha I do NOT consider myself a good cook, which is funny since I have recipes on my blog. I’m good at oatmeal though!

3. Hey, this looks easy enough! It would be great for tomorrow morning for a Valentine’s breakfast to show some love early in the morning! :)

4. Gen says:

Yuum!! This will be my afternoon snack!

5. PBnJ Fam says:

What a beautiful creation! I have ALWAYS wanted to try making a jelly roll but NEVER had the courage… Thank you for creating a recipe that I am not afraid of! :) By the way, what is the white filling/frosting shown in your photo??

1. It’s my Creamy Dreamy Frosting: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/06/12/creamy-dreamy-frosting/
      (I used coconut butter in place of the cashew)

6. so cute! I don’t think I’m a great cook, at least when I’m making food for myself its really throw together simple meals and I eat similar things day in and day out- but that’s how I like it!

7. Leslie says:

Katie, I think this is the prettiest photos I’ve ever seen on your blog.
    And that’s saying something, because your photos are ALWAYS so pretty. You amaze me!!!

1. Leslie says:

Sorry, I meant “these are” the prettiest photos. They are just gorgeous. And look so yummy!

8. Victoria says:

Katie, would you mind clarifying something? When you say cook for 10 minutes in a non-preheated oven, then wait 10 minutes, is that a total cooking time of 20 minutes? Also, do you have any advice on how to adjust this recipe for a toaster oven? Thanks! I love your recipes!

1. No, cook ten minutes then take it out and let it cool ten before removing from pan :).

1. I’m not sure how it would fit in a toaster oven… unless you have a really big toaster oven!

1. Victoria says:

Thanks for the clarification! Don’t worry, my toaster oven is huge!

2. Carrie says:

Victoria,
      Greetings! I use a toaster oven for almost everything (no microwave). Generally, I do a slightly lower temp when it calls for it to be so high. Also, PREHEAT first. A lot of times I just throw it in and turn it on, but you must account for time. With cakes and such, it’s best to put them into an already hot oven. For this, I’d say just over 400 degrees and check it at 8 minutes, maybe before. Seems (from the pic) it’s going to look a little spongy when you take it out. And don’t worry, if it’s not perfect the first time, it’s just a little one. :-)

1. Victoria says:

Thanks for the help! I like my toaster oven for cookies, but cakes I bake in it tend to lose their moisture much faster than if they were made a regular oven.

9. deidra says:

Is there a reason to make it in a circle pan and then cut off the edges? or could I just make it in a rect. pan to begin with? Sry if i’m missing something obvious. Thanks!

1. Wow I feel dumb lol! Yes, you can definitely do that… I had originally planned to make something else, which is why I made a circle. But once you mentioned it, your idea seems much better. I’m editing my post :).

1. deidra says:

this was delicious! i made a small change based on what i had in the house but it came out amazing! thanks!

1. Wow, I am so excited you made it already! You’re fast! :)

10. Erin says:

I am about to make this and have already made three other recipes of yours this morning. Your recipes are making for a much healthier Valentine’s Day than usual. Thank you!!

11. Annie says:

Oh what my goody gosh, is this the perfect post to start my week or what!

And to think … I have ALL the ingredients in my kitchen RIGHT NOW!

Next big decision: make it now *or* after work (which feels like days away at this moment) … ?

12. i love all your dessert-for-one recipes sweetened with stevia. it’s like having my own private pastry chef come up with what i’d want to make with the stuff in my house…

13. So cute! And sounds so yummy! I personally consider myself an okay cook, but I always want to be improve and learn how to be better. Mainly because I love it!

14. Georgia says:

Yum, this looks so delicious and easy!

Georgia

15. Samantha says:

Although I didn’t vote for this one I totally admit I am excited to try it.

I do not consider myself a good cook, but I AM a passionate cook at times. :) I enjoy trying stuff and generally it is just for me so it if looks terrible or if it is just a little off I don’t have to worry in the least.

Frankly I am inspired by your job and your blog. Hopefully for the most part you have a great time.

16. Renee says:

Mmm, I haven’t had a doughnut in years! Like Samantha above, I don’t consider myself a good cook, but as long as I’m having fun and things are edible, I’m happy. I’d love to be able to be operate mostly sans recipes one day…

17. Steph says:

I love gooey things 😀

18. Carrie says:

I’m so glad you picked this one! I didn’t vote (too embarrassed that it was the sans-chocolate option).
    This does looks so easy. It will be made today.

And as for myself, I’m pretty awesome in the kitchen :-) I find that it’s because I love baking/cooking, but mostly because of the joy I get when feeding others… especially healthier things.

Thanks for keeping your blog going…. my husband thanks you. :-)

19. Are you kidding me? How do you come up with the stuff, it’s amazing!!! You are a genius!!! I want to make the pancakes and jelly roll!