No Bake Oreo Cookies

These no bake Oreo cookies are even better than an Oreo…

healthy oreo

Homemade Oreo cookies?!

Ah, your eyes are playing tricks on you. What you really see is even better than an Oreo. These sandwich cookies look like Oreos, but they’re softer and chewier… imagine a cross between an Oreo and a candy bar.

That sounds fun, right?

raw oreos

Even more fun:

You don’t need an oven. These cookies are no-bake. 🙂

healthy oreos 3

raw oreos

No Bake Oreo Cookies

Makes 30-34 sandwich cookies

• 1 cup walnuts (see nutrition link below, for substitutions) (120g)
  • 1 and 1/3 cup pitted dates (I highly recommend Sunmaid, which are softer) (200g)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp plus 1/16 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp regular cocoa powder (or Dutch-processed for more of a “cookie” taste)
  • coconut butter or raw cashew butter (see nutrition link below, for substitutions)
  • optional: sweetener of choice, if a sweeter filling is desired

Combine first 5 ingredients in a food processor, and process until the dates are completely broken up. (I used a Cuisinart. For best texture results, don’t use a blender.) Transfer the dough to a ziploc-type bag, seal, and smush it into one tight ball. Then roll out onto a sheet of wax or parchment paper, and use cookie cutters to make circles (or other shapes!). Fridge or freeze the circles for a few minutes, so they’re firmer and therefore easier to frost. Once firm, spread the filling on 1/2 the circles and then top with remaining circles.

These are best stored in the fridge or freezer, as coconut butter melts at room temperature. (P.S. coconut butter really doesn’t have a coconutty flavor, if you were worried about that. Its flavor is more like shortbread. However, feel free to use one of the other options if you’d prefer.)

View Nutrition Facts

When was the last time you had an Oreo?

I don’t like hard cookies, so I was never really big on Oreos. But I love the cookies ‘n cream flavor. Cookies ‘n cream ice cream, cookies ‘n cream cupcakes, cookies ‘n cream lip balm… yes, they do make such a thing!

Do you remember the game where two people twist the Oreo, and the person with the cream side will supposedly have good luck? In elementary school, I think we played that game every single day at lunch. It never got old.

Link Of The Day:

Side note: As I wrote earlier, today’s recipe isn’t supposed to be an exact copycat for Oreos. I’m still working on that… I have the cookie part down, but I’m stuck for filling ideas since I’m trying not to use coconut butter or tofu (since so many people ask for substitutions when I make recipes with those ingredients. Y’all are a tough bunch to please! 😉

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Chelsea says:

Oh my gosh! You just made my morning! I adore cookies and cream, but like you, am not crazy for hard cookies. Ahhh! This is going to be a good day. 🙂

2. I prefer soft, homemade cookies as well. Like you though, I love cookies n’ cream flavour and Oreo ice cream is a definite winner in my books!

3. Ellie says:

Ohh my goodness! Katie, you. are. amazing! (:
    This might be a silly question, but the only kind of cocoa powder I have on hand right now is unsweetened, is that the same as regular or will the cookies have a different taste to them?

1. That’s exactly what you want to use! 🙂

4. Geneva says:

I’m not a big oreo eater, because I also prefer soft cookies, but I love lara bars and these cookies are similar so I think they would be great. Would your vegan cool whip work as the creme for your copy cat oreo?

1. I bet that would be awesome! You might have to freeze it to get it hard. I’ve actually been meaning to try freezing that stuff anyway. People keep telling me how good it is frozen. And then you could use cookie cutters on it…

5. Suzie says:

Oh I definitely want to try these! Yesterday I was craving an oreo shake, too funny that this was today’s post 🙂

6. KATIE!! it’s only 9am and you’ve got me craving cookies!!! 🙂 haha these look delicious! thanks for sharing!

7. Jackie says:

I was never a big fan of Oreos, probably because I also prefer chewy cookies to crunchy ones. However, these I think I would really enjoy!

8. Doroteia says:

Do you think they would be good if I used almonds and put almond butter for the filling (it probably wont be like oreo cookies anymore, but I think it’ll still be delicious.) ?

1. Edible experiments are always fun. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be yummy :).

9. Samantha says:

Oh. Wow.

It is about 8am right now…not too early in my opinion and I eat some form of no-bake/fudge babies/larabar cookies every day right now.

Your link of the day is still on my list to make…

Oreos. I would say probably over a year? Comes and goes for me. When I do eat them it is the peanut butter filling ones. And I get sick every single time which is probably why I am finally getting wise and not eating them. 🙂 Besides, these days I have SO many better options thanks to you!

10. Debbie says:

I prefer soft and chewy rather than hard/ crunchy. When I was younger I used to lick the filling out of the oreos and put the cookie part back.
    Could I leave out the salt? I have a family member on a very low salt diet.

1. Dr. Rebekah says:

Is an 1/8 of a teaspoon to 30 cookies too much salt for someone!??!?! (Sorry, that’s the Dr. coming out in me…very very low salt can get dangerous!)

11. Yum! Those look amazing!

I’m not the biggest fan of Oreos but my husband loves them! I like them more in milk to make them a bit softer 🙂

12. Jennifer says:

I only like Oreo’s if they are frozen (i.e. extra hard). I was pretty excited when I found out that they are vegan, but still, I try to stay away…

13. I’m gonna make these and then do something really wrong .. I’m gonna stick some sugary frosting in the middle.. so they’ll be half healthy. LOL

14. Aurelie says:

GOSH I LOVE OREOS.

So delicious, yet sooo sinful! Definitely trying out your recipe asap! Thanks! ((((((((:

(I don’t usually exaggerate so much on emotes, because I personally find it pretty annoying, but this is a worthy cause for celebration & many-mouthed smileys! ;D)

15. Janice Hernandez says:

can you use raisins?

1. anon says:

Hi Janice,
      See CCKs “nutrition facts” link on this post.

16. D'Arcy says:

Hi Katie! I love your blog. It’s mouthwatering. What about using red palm oil in an oreo filling? It’s semi-solid at room temp and very good for you. Or what about….MACADAMIA NUT BUTTER, the most delicioso thang eva! Or cashew?

1. I love macadamia butter, too! I wish it weren’t so expensive or hard to find. I should probably try making my own!

17. I haven’t had an oreo in ages– probably 5+ years actually. BUT, I do want me one of your oreos! 🙂

18. I am just like you-I preferred soft cookies! Hard and crunchy? No thanks. I’ll take soft and chewy!

19. Kierston says:

These look amazing! I had an Oreo Blizzard a couple of months ago! 🙂

20. Mariel says:

OH katie. we think too alike. is it just me? LOOK AT MY LAST BLOG POST

1. lol I bet we were making them at the same time! Love how you snuck zucchini into yours!