Cake Batter Dip

The sprinkles made me do it.

sugar cookie dip

Sprinkles can be very convincing.

Yesterday, one of my friends threw an impromptu party, and we were all supposed to bring a dish to share. Since a lot of people came straight from work, there ended up being an overwhelming number of packaged hummus containers, spinach dips, and pre-cut veggie trays. However, one dish stood out from all the others:

A giant bowl of buttery vanilla cake batter.

sugar cookie dip

Cake batter healthy enough that you can eat it with a spoon.

cake batter dip

Cake Batter Cookie Dough Dip

(can be gluten-free)

Recipe found here: Recipes with Beans.

• 1 1/2 cups chickpeas or white beans (1 can) (250g after draining)
  • 3 tbsp cashew butter or a butter-type spread like Earth Balance (See nutrition link below, for all substitution notes on this recipe) (43g)
  • 1 tbsp applesauce (or omit and increase cashew butter to 1/4c) (15g)
  • 2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda (to everyone who’s been asking: this is for flavor)
  • heaping 1/8 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup xylitol or sugar (or coconut sugar or evaporated cane juice) (160g)
  • 1/4 tsp butter extract (adds a cake-batter flavor, but you can omit) (It is vegan.)
  • 1/4 cup quick oats (20g) (or ground flax or rolled oats, or even 1/4c cake mix)
  • optional: sprinkles!

Drain and rinse beans very well. Blend all ingredients in a food processor (not a blender) until very, very smooth. (If you must use a blender, please read my notes in the “nutrition info” link below, before attempting.) Dip apple slices or crackers or pretzels, spread on a banana or toast or pancakes or cookies, or eat with a spoon!

View Nutrition Info

cake batter dip

What’s your favorite party dip?

Spinach-artichoke dip? Seven Layer Dip? Or something sweet, like pumpkin or cookie dough dip? Here in Texas, queso is really popular. And of course guacamole.

Link of the Day:

funfetti cupcake

Single-Lady Funfetti Cupcake

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. OMG I just saw a similar recipe last week and successfully fought off the urge to make it until now.
    Cant.Resist.Cuteness!

1. Oh, and the best thing to dip in this recipe? Animal crackers.

1. Laura says:

That may be the second greatest idea I’ve heard all day.(the first being Katie’s dip!)

2. This is so cute! I know if I brought it to a party (being an RD), people would ask how it was healthy and then they’d be scared to try it!

1. My friends have gotten to the point where they don’t even ask what’s in my food anymore. They know it tastes good, but they also know the recipes usually have some strange ingredients. They say they would just rather not know! 😉

2. Deanna says:

I say “try it first, THEN I’ll tell you what’s in it”… Just make sure the person doesn’t have any allergies first.

3. SJ says:

So, I bought a food processor in May, largely because of this blog. I nearly killed our blender trying to make the cinnamon roll pie, and it didn’t mix very well (but was tasty enough to make me definitely want a food processor). In June, after making some brownie batter dip, my husband accidentally knocked the processor bowl onto the floor and it broke. So, he bought me a new one. Only for us to discover we accidentally threw out a vital piece of the food processor with the broken bowl (oops!). I am now waiting for that piece to arrive in the mail and these amazing recipes are taunting me! I can’t wait until it arrives next week! I may go on a healthy dessert baking spree! This looks sooooo delicious!

4. Rachel says:

I tried out your cookie dough dip for thanksgiving and my family loved it! they had no idea it was vegan until after I told them haha I might have to try this out 😉

5. yum! this looks amazing! i definitely have a sweet tooth so i love any sort of sweet dips, but i can never keep myself away from the guacamole either.

6. Sprinkles are so evil sometimes! I’m sorry you had to go through that!! 😀

My favorite dips at parties are usually savory ones….I don’t think I’ve ever actually had something like this one that you posted here. I’m a huge fan of queso too actually and have a hard time resisting it! I also love caramel dip with apples and that sort of thing.

And guacamole…..oh, don’t even get me started on guacamole!! 😀

xoxo
    Cheri

1. I agree with Cheri–guacamole & all it’s variations are my fave dip, especially when paired with a good salsa. (I know you, Katie, don’t like avocados, so I’ll make sure if I’m ever invited to your party, not to bring *that*)

7. Juliana says:

I’ve been wanting to try one of your dips for a while – this is just more confirmation that I need to get on it! 🙂
    My favorite dip is probably roasted garlic hummus. But when I eat fruit (constantly) I like to dip it in Greek yogurt.

8. oh Katie, you’ve done it again! this looks so incredible! gotta love cookie dough!

9. Danielle says:

OMG can’t wait to try this – totally adding the ingredients to my grocery list and going shopping later today! Also, noticed you didn’t have a WW PointsPlus value – per Tbsp it’s 1 point. I checked it up to 8 Tbsp (or 1/2 cup), and that 1:1 ratio stays true!

My fave was always Spinach Artichoke or anything nacho related… but you may have just given me a new favorite! I’m always on the lookout for a new fruit dip (I mean, amaretto dip made with almond extract is a staple, but sometimes it gets old)!

1. Oops, thanks for letting me know!

10. Erin says:

What are some ideas for dippers in your cookie/cake dips? I have used pretzels and animal cookies from Trader Joes. Any other healthier ideas? Or just any other ideas in general?a

Erin

P.S. Made your mocha cookies the other day – they were great! I used sugar and stevia and thought they were really sweet, so I think less sugar could be used and they would still taste great!

1. Erin says:

OH just saw your apple suggestion… I wonder what else would be good?

1. tiffany says:

i think most fruit would be good with something like this…apples, banana, peaches maybe plums. pears might work as well. i think you can use basically any that are able to be sliced into sticks to be dipped. Anything but berries basically, though i think i’d also try pitted cherries for this because they go well with cake.

1. Victor says:

I just made this and yeah, I think fruit would be awesomely awesome with this. Especially apples and pears. The flavor of plums would be so epic with it too but the texture would be off for some ppl. Not for me though! I’m gonna buy some apples and plums the next time I make this.

11. Mackenzie says:

Why does it not surprise me at all that you have another cake batter recipe, and another (insert flavor here) dough/batter dip? 😉

12. Jaime says:

Omg I hate you (no not really!). I just decided to cut back on carbs and then this post shows up! Looks delicious…I MAY just have to try it! Lol

13. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Definitely spinach artichoke dip or my mother’s very popular bean dip. It’s a request for every party. I’m always wary of trying sweet dips for some reason… except for fudge or caramel dips. I haven’t tried any of your dips yet! But this looks yummy. Maybe my sister will try it if I pass it along to her?
    p.s.- would sucanat maybe work or did you not try that yet? Thanks!

14. This looks simply amazing! Anything with the name cake batter and I’m in! Who knew you could make white beans taste like cake batter! I am for sure trying out this recipe!

15. I didn’t know butter extract was vegan. Is that all butter extracts, or just the particular brand you use?

1. I know both Wilton and McCormick are vegan, because I contacted the companies. Those are the only two brands of it I’ve ever seen.

1. Bobbi says:

Kroger also has a brand at their chains of grocery stores. I do not know whether or not it is vegan however. But I have seen it there.

16. Anonymous says:

My daughter has an art show in a couple of weeks & I will be making this to take as part of the refreshments…brilliant idea! Just curious, though….Could you use liquid Stevia in place of the sugar or xylitol? If so, how much?

1. Sorry, I haven’t tried it.

17. Kate says:

I have a question! How big is your food processor? Because I tried to make this is mine, which is 3.5 cups I think? And it didn’t work…too full! I had to do batches, which was fine (and still delicious!) but not too easy! Thanks 🙂

1. I think mine is a 10-cup, but it’s at least 7.

2. Victor says:

I know this comment is forever old but I just want to say that I’ve used just a big bowl and an immersion blender for pretty much every recipe that calls for processing on Katie’s website to great success. I do have a very tiny food processor but I onky use that for making oat flour in the few recipes that call for it. Actually the immersion blender works for oat flour, too, but, as bowls don’t have lids, oat flour dust fills the air and rains down on everything so I have to use my cumbersome, hard-to-clean tiny processor for that unless I want breath oat flour dust. Haha. So for people with tiny blenders or food processors, I highly recommend an immersion blender!! It’s so convenient, fast, and easy to clean. Mine was really cheap.

18. Yum!! Another awesome idea! For savory dips, I love guacamole and salsa. 🙂

19. Lindsay says:

I REALLY want to add chocolate chips to this, is that bad? 🙂

1. Yes.
      Obviously just kidding ;).

20. Love it! And you know my love for butter extract – I wouldn’t say optional, because to me it is what makes everything taste like cake batter! So good!