Peanut Butter Gingerbread Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Cookies make me happy.

Peanut butter chocolate chip gingerbread christmas cookies! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/12/11/peanut-butter-gingerbread-chocolate-chunk-cookies/

These homemade peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies taste like the love child of a gingerbread man and a jar of Skippy.

Please don’t try to picture that in your mind. 😕

healthy peanut butter cookies 1

Try one and you’ll be smiling all day. People will start to wonder about you. Why are you smiling like that? And of course you can answer:

I just like to smile.

Smiling’s my favorite.

peanut butter gingerbread cookies

Or you could tell them the truth: you’re smiling because you just made a batch of super-delicious chocolate peanut butter gingerbread cookies and are keeping them all for yourself. But be warned that if you go this route, they’ll expect you to share. So honesty might not be the best policy.

Initially these were to be gingerbread cookies with a hint of peanut butter. However, they turned out awesomely peanut buttery and have just an allusion of gingerbread flavor.

peanut butter gingerbread cookies

Peanut Butter Gingerbread Chocolate Chunk Cookies

(Peanut Butter Christmas Cookies)

• 1/2 cup peanut butter – or Sunbutter, almond butter, or cashew butter (110g)
  • 1/2 tsp powdered ginger – less if you only want a slight gingerbread flavor
  • 1/3 cup Sucanat – You can sub regular brown sugar; it just won’t be nearly as gingerbread-y (45g)
  • pinch stevia or 1 extra tbsp of the sucanat or sugar
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3 tbsp flour (spelt, white, ww pastry, and Bob’s gf all-purpose all work) (24g)
  • tiny pinch of salt if desired (I add 1/16 tsp and use Whole Foods peanut butter, which is salted)
  • 2-4 tbsp chocolate chunks, or chips, or broken-up chocolate bar
  • 2 tbsp applesauce (30g)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (4g)

In a mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir very well. Put the peanut butter in a separate bowl (and if it is from the fridge, heat it until you can more-easily stir it), then add the applesauce and vanilla to the pb bowl and stir well. Combine the two bowls, and stir to form a dough, then squish into balls with your hands. Chill the balls at least thirty minutes in the fridge or ten in the freezer, during which time you are preheating the oven to 350F. Then cook 8 minutes.  They will look quite underdone when they come out, but that’s ok: let them cool and do not touch for at least another 10 minutes. For soft cookies, store in a plastic container. For crispier cookies, store in a glass container. Makes 12-16 cookies.

View Peanut Butter Cookies Nutrition Facts

Link Of The Day:

coconut crack bars

Coconut Crack Bars

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Yum! I love gingerbread. And peanut butter. And chocolate. So I guess these cookies are for me, huh? I was going to do some baking today. I wasn’t sure what, but I think I just decided. lol. My favorite Christmas movies are Fred Claus, Santa Clause, Elf, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the one with Jim Carey). Actually, I think I like most Christmas movies. 😉

2. Gina G says:

The Santa Clause is definitely my favorite!

p.s. the cookies look and sound amazing! 🙂

3. Lily says:

Ooooh these look great! And I can’t wait for this cookbook I keep hearing about! Question: Have you tried using date sugar? I just bought some because it says it subs well for brown sugar in baking. I used it in one recipe and it seemed fine. I added a little liquid stevia with it because I didn’t think it would be as sweet on its own.

1. I did also hear that you can sub it 1-for-1 with regular sugar, but I’ve never tried it.

4. These look amazing! I agree with all those christmas movies. I love elf, the santa claus and especially love,actually! Another great one is Home Alone 1 and 2!

5. Joy @ Caspara says:

These look so yummy!! I have to try them! Peanut butter and chocolate are an automatic win in my book, but with gingerbread, too? Woohoo!
    My favorite Christmas movies are Elf and It’s a Wonderful Life. In my family, we do a Christmas movie “fest” during the month of December where we watch all our favorite Christmas movies. Every year we try a couple new ones, too. And we end with The Polar Express on Christmas Eve or Christmas night. 🙂

6. It’s a Wonderful Life is my all-time fav. I still tear up a little bit at the end. It’s wonderful 🙂 I also have a fondness for the black and white “classics” Miracle on 34th Street, The Bishop’s Wife, and Christmas in Connecticut (which I never spell correctly 🙂 )

7. Tiffany H says:

I love the old tv classics the most..frosty/frosty returns, Rudolph, the Grinch, and Santa Claus is coming to town. For movies, I love miracle of 34th street, Scrooged and most other classic ones that I grew up with. I always watch them with a nice mug of hot cocoa.

8. Amy McCann says:

Katy . . .I love you . . .Alright, my kids love you too . . . I homeschool 4 girls and today might be an early-Christmas-break-so-we-can-bake-day. That’s an official holiday . . .in my mind 🙂

1. Amy McCann says:

So I have NO IDEA how to respond to the reply you sent me:) THANK YOU!!!!! I am replying to the email in case you don’t get the email at least you know that I’m trying!! WOO HOO!! I forgot to include my favorite movie. I LOVE It’s a Wonderful Life. I bought it last year and watched it tons and this year (I hold sacred the Thanksgiving to Dec 25 is Christmas Season timeline) I’ve already watched it 6 times. We’ll probably watch it today while we cook!

9. These sound so good and RIGHT up my alley! 🙂

10. I don’t have a favorite holiday movie, but I usually have the same experience with the critics hating some of my favorite movies…goes to show you that you don’t know until you see it, you can’t trust someone else’s review.

11. Karen Jung says:

These look and sound so yummy. Def, def, def making!!
    My fav movie is Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, you know the 1960s version where someone had to move the little toys by hand to create a movie. I watch it each year!

12. Ooo these sound good, I love gingerbread! My favorite holiday movies are Home Alone and The Santa Clause!

13. Mandy says:

These look awesome! I’m curious why Sucanat makes it more “gingerbread-y” than brown sugar? Now, my favorite Christmas movie is probably Love, actually. When I was a kid, I liked a movie with Roma Downey in it called Borrowed Hearts. It was probably some sort of Hallmark movie. Oh, and I love the Heat and Snow Misers from The Year Without a Santa Claus.

1. Karen says:

Sucanat is unrefined and has a molasses like flavor. From the Sucanat website: Because Sucanat still contains all of the cane’s natural molasses, it has a deep brown color and a distinct, natural molasses flavor that enhances many foods.
      It really doesn’t taste anything like brown sugar, but it’s really good just the same!

14. Karen says:

My favorite is Prancer. Does anyone know that one?

1. Beth says:

Yes! I haven’t watched it in years, but I remember loving it. 🙂

15. Stacy says:

While I am thinking about holiday flavors…any chance you can recreate peppermint stick ice cream? Twice recently I have had to turn it down and it used to be one of my holiday favorites, makes me just a little sad…

1. Maybe this one? http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/12/21/christmas-cookie-dough-ice-cream/
      I’ve never actually had peppermint stick ice cream. But if you try the above version and want a real ice-cream texture, use the creamer or canned coconut milk (the peppermint extract will mask any coconut flavor).

16. Stacy says:

Oh, and we love White Christmas!

17. Megan E. says:

These got me excited until I read the ingredients – where is the ginger? Where is the molassas? I don’t know that these would be “gingerbread” cookies without something like that… perhaps I should experiment for myself though, I bet these would at least make a good starting point.

1. Meagan says:

There’s ginger in the recipe! And sucanat which has a molasses flavor.

18. Aimee B. says:

These looks awesome and I will definitely be baking these this week!

I don’t think I really have a favorite Christmas movie. I truly love so many. I fondly remember the ones from my childhood like, Charlie Brown’s Christmas, The Grinch, Rudolph, Frosty, etc. But I also love A Muppet Christmas Carol, The Santa Clause, and Elf. Our holiday movie viewing always begins on Thanksgiving with Miracle on 34th Street. I’d have to say the one that touches my heart the most is definitely It’s a Wonderful Life. Makes me cry every year. 🙂

Merry Christmas, Katie, and thank you for all you do! (((Hugs)))

19. These are a mix of so many delicious things… they can’t be bad!