Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Homemade Peanut Butter Oreos

peanut butter stuffed oreos

Have you ever tried Oreos with peanut butter?

The first time I tried them was after watching Lindsay Lohan’s character spread peanut butter on Oreos in the movie, The Parent Trap. (This was back when Lindsay Lohan was an adorable eleven-year-old girl!)

After the movie ended and we came home from the theater, the first thing I did was pull out a sleeve of Oreos and jar of peanut butter to test it out.

And of course it was delicious.

peanut butter oreos

When is chocolate-peanut-butter not delicious?

That would be never.

homemade peanut butter stuffed oreos

For today’s homemade peanut butter Oreos recipe, instead of simply spreading peanut butter on top of regular vegan Oreos, I’ve replaced the cream filling completely with an easy peanut butter filling so delicious you might want to make extra to eat by itself.

pb oreos

Peanut Butter Oreos

• 3/4 cup spelt flour (Readers have reported success with Arrowhead Mills gf as well.) (120g)
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp dutch cocoa powder (30g) (Regular cocoa is fine; the Oreo cookies just won’t taste as authentic.)
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp xylitol or sugar (or coconut sugar) (78g)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup vegetable or coconut oil (44g)
  • 3 tbsp milk of choice (45g)
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (or agave) (30g)

• 1/2 cup peanut butter (or allergy-free alternative) (110g)
  • 1/2 cup coconut butter (For a coconut-free version, see “nutrition info” link below) (110g)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch salt
  • stevia extract to taste, or 1/4 cup powdered sugar

Combine first 5 ingredients, and stir very well. In a separate bowl, combine all liquid ingredients for the cookies. Mix wet into dry to form a dough, then refrigerate 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Put dough in a plastic bag, and smush into one big ball. Remove from bag, roll into a thin dough, and cut flat circles using a circle cutter or a circle-shaped lid. Bake on a greased cookie tray for 11-14 minutes (depending on whether you want softer or crispier cookies). They’ll still look a little underdone when they come out of the oven, but that’s ok. Important: allow to cool 10 minutes before removing from the tray.

For the filling: first make sure your coconut butter is softened. Mix all filling ingredients in a small food processor (or very patiently with a fork, if you must. Texture might be a bit crumbly if you mix by hand; be sure to start with softened peanut butter). Divide filling among half of the cookie discs, then top with remaining cookie discs and fridge so filling firms up. Makes 20-25 sandwich cookies, depending on the size of your circle cutter and whether or not you bother to re-roll all the dough.

View Peanut Butter Oreos Nutrition Facts

peanut butter stuffed oreos

Tomorrow is National Peanut Butter Day!

Quick history lesson for curious minds: The invention of peanut butter is credited to Marcellus Gilmore Edison in 1884, although the Aztecs have been crushing peanuts into paste for hundreds of years.

More recipes can be found here: 100 Healthy Peanut Butter Recipes.

Tags: , , , ,

1. Tracy says:

These look yummy 🙂 Are they soft or crunchy like oreos? And what is spelt and where to buy it? That ingredient is a bit intimidating.

1. Soft if you cook the shorter amount of time, crispy if the longer.
      I find spelt flour in the natural food section of most grocery stores (Whole Foods, Sprouts, Market Street, Central Market…) Or you could buy it online.

2. Wheat work, too, in case you can’t get spelt! 😉

1. Carroll says:

I used whole wheat flour and it turned out okay, mine were soft even though I baked them for 14 minutes. It might be because they were cut pretty thick so that could have been a problem. They taste amazing though!

2. Marissa says:

oh, good! I’ll try wheat !

3. Lisa says:

Regular grocery stores may have spelt. Go the the baking Aisle where they have all of the Hobson Mills products.

2. Yum! Can’t beat the amazing combo that is Oreo + peanut butter! I’m also curious if these are soft or crunchy?

1. Soft if cooked the shorter time, crunchy if cooked the longer listed time.

3. Those Aztecs sure know their stuff! I’m kind of sad that I never tried that combo from the Parent Trap… And now I’m allergic to peanut butter! Ugh… SOMEDAY.

1. Loretta says:

I always replace peanut butter with sunbutter. My son is allergic to all nuts. If you are not allergic to tree nuts, you might try almond butter too.

4. Oh Katie – these look like so much fun!! I’m thinking a fun addition for Super Bowl treats. Not only are homemade oreos fun and ambitious but adding peanut butter in the center takes it over the edge into awesome-land!

5. You seriously need to just open up a shop so I can order these!

6. kspar66 says:

That scene in Parent Trap was memorable for me too. I think an aesthetic is missing: your oreos could be marked on top with a ‘CCK’! And in peanut history, we cannot forget dear George Washington Carver, who did so much to promote the utility and goodness of the “goober.”

7. Kelly says:

Love the idea of adding coconut butter! I’m obsessed with coconut, so anytime I can add a hint of coconut flavor is a win

8. Erika says:

I didn’t waste any time with making these. They looked just too good to wait. They turned out great and I have to say it was tempting to just eat the dough without baking because it tasted so good! 🙂 Thanks more making my day with this yummy recipe. I love the chocolate and pb combo too!

1. Wow, you are fast! I think that’s probably the fastest anyone has ever made one of the recipes I’ve posted :).

1. Erika says:

It must be due to the fact that I’m pregnant and once a craving takes over, you’ve gotta have it NOW. 🙂 … and this is the best site to come to for something like that!!

9. The Lindsay Lohan version of the Parent Trap is one of my favorite movies! I looooved it! She was so cute back then…

1. Ha ha ha I agree after that movie I use to eat the white part and add Skippy peanut butter to the middle it was my favorite; I am happy we have a healthier version now… She was such a cute little girl who knows what happened… 🙂

1. I never even bothered with the white part… I just threw it away and re-filled with PB. Something very bothersome about that weird white frosting .

10. Haha… oh Lindsey… I have always loved this combination (I mean, chocolate and peanut butter, duh!) and now I have a healthy version. Thanks!

11. OH my goodness. Peanut butter and oreos have been my secret shame my entire life!! I’d been meaning to toy around with a recipe for them but never did. THANK YOU for making these! They look amazing and I can’t wait to try them!

12. I almost fell out of my chair. I’m not kidding. Regular Oreos are great, but peanut butter Oreos? Out of this world! I’ve put peanut butter on Oreos too (after watching the Peanut Trap movie of course), but it’s been a while since I’ve actual been able to eat Oreos (due to gluten sensitivities and whatnot). I’ll be trying out a gluten-free version ASAP!

13. That’s it. I’m making your peannut butter pie for tomorrow. Not that I need an excuse to make it!

14. Suzanne says:

This is literally screaming for a nutter butter comanpion recipe!

1. Ooh I have one! And Tagalongs too… The site might need a new name after I’m done posting all my peanut butter recipes :).

1. J says:

I would do anything for your Tagalongs recipe! Hoping that one will be posted soon?

1. I don’t really have a set schedule… but hopefully soon! If you need it earlier, I can always send it via email.

1. J says:

That would be wonderful, Katie – if you have the time. I’d love to make them for my friend’s birthday that is in just a couple of days. My email is – thanks in advance.

2. J says:

That would be wonderful, Katie – if you have the time. My email is je20052 at gmail . com – I’d love to make these for a friend’s birthday that is coming up in just a couple of days since Tagalongs are her favorite!

3. Carroll says:

I hope you post it soon!! I want to see that! Yum:) especially cuz it’s Girl Scout cookie time!

15. Stephi says:

These look AMAZING! I will definitely be making these. Thanks for sharing 🙂

16. Mmmm!! Have to try this!! 🙂 Looks so good! I love all your recipes! Ive tried so many!

17. Interesting tidbit about the myans!

18. Amy A says:

These look amazing! Do you think you could roll the dough into a log and then slice to make the cookies?

1. I haven’t tried so I really don’t know. It sounds like a good idea, though!

1. Carroll says:

I tried that and it worked okay…. I cut them a little thick and they fell apart a little but they are still great!

19. Tenley says:

Hi Katie,

I absolutely love your blog and have drawn a lot of inspiration from it! For the past few months I’ve been thinking of my own healthy desserts to make and possibly starting a blog with the recipes. I was wondering if you would consider that “copying” your blog or if that would even be allowed? Mine wouldn’t be vegan but they would still be low calories, fat, sugar, etc. I understand if you think that isn’t okay. Thanks!

1. As long as you’re posting your own recipes that you’ve made up, it certainly sounds ok to me. Go for it! 🙂