Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting Shots

A good-for-you frosting that can be used on cupcakes or cookies or can be eaten by itself, with NO shortening, no heavy cream, no butter, and no sugar needed. Recipe here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/03/06/mint-chocolate-chip-frosting-shots/

This mint-chocolate cream is great for any of the following:

• As a frosting for cakes or cupcakes
  • For peppermint ice cream sundaes or brownies
  • As a rich and decadent pudding or mousse
  • To make friends with leprechauns!

mint chocolate chip cupcakes

For a St. Patrick’s Day dessert, try it on my Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes.

But let’s get back to that fourth suggestion for a moment… As a school project when I was in second grade, our teacher gave us the task of constructing a leprechaun trap. I tried to sound grown-up, telling everyone I didn’t believe in leprechauns. Secretly, however, I was very excited and spent weeks creating what I thought was a surefire leprechaun trap, complete with golden-coin bait, a sticky-tape floor, and rainbow walls. If I remember correctly, there was even a cereal bowl filled with Lucky Charms.

It was quite an elaborate trap!

mint chocolate frosting shots

On St. Patrick’s Day, I woke up extra early (think Christmas-morning early) and dressed for school at lightning speed, scowling as my little sister took her sweet time. When we reached the school building, I jumped from the car and ran through the halls to my second-grade classroom, which was still locked. Even the teacher hadn’t arrived yet. Impatiently, I tried to peek through the door’s small window, but it was impossible to see anything in the dark. Yet I knew he was in there… a real, live leprechaun.

You know how the story ends, right?

mint frosting

Teacher arrives, opens the door, turns on the lights…

And no leprechaun.

Some of the golden coins are eaten, the cereal is strewn across the floor, and a handwritten note is left in each student’s box: Your trap was very good. But it was no match for me. Better luck next time.

I was so disappointed!

mint chocolate chip frosting

Now I would like to go back to that second-grade classroom and try again.

Even a cunning leprechaun won’t be able to resist the charms of these creamy frosting shots. Smile

I still believe!

mint chocolate frosting shots

Mint Chocolate Frosting Shots

(free of shortening, and can also be sugar-free)

• 1 (13.5oz) can full-fat coconut milk – must be the canned type
  • 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp pure peppermint extract
  • pinch pure stevia OR 1 tbsp powdered sugar, or to taste
  • optional: 1/8 tsp spirulina or a few drops green food coloring (I used spirulina)
  • optional: chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips

Open the coconut milk, and if it’s not already super-thick, leave the can in the fridge overnight. (Don’t shake the can before you open it.) The coconut milk should get very, very thick. (Every now and then, you may unfortunately encounter a can that just doesn’t have enough fat content and therefore never gets thick. I highly recommend Thai Kitchen Organic. Or, if you can find coconut cream at an Asian market or Trader Joe’s, you can use that instead – it will work every time! A hint is to shake the can when you’re at the store. If you can hear the liquidy contents swishing around, it’s probably too thin to work for this recipe.) Once thick, transfer only the thick and creamy portion to a bowl and whip in your sweetener with a fork, or with beaters if you want to be fancy and get stiff peaks like real whipped cream! (I used a Magic Bullet for the frosting shots in the photos.) Best to store frosted cupcakes in the fridge, or frost at the last minute, so icing stays firm.

View Frosting Shots Nutrition Facts

healthy frosting

Do you remember any of your school projects?

I guess I was strange in that I kind of loved school projects. Puppet shows, paper dolls, skits, giant posters… the more elaborate, the better. And book reports? Yes, I loved those too!

Link of the Day: 23 Healthy Frosting Recipes

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Frosting shots? Never would have thought of making them but it sure sounds better than eating spoonfulls out of the frosting tub – as I love to do :)

2. Lisa says:

Oh my gosh, these look truly amazing!!! I’ve made “ice cream” with coconut milk, but never thought of frosting. These are perfect for St. Patty’s day coming up too, of course:)

3. Can you use anything besides coconut milk. I am not a coconut fan!

1. You could always try soaked and blended cashews (blend with a little water). Use an equal amount to the coconut cream called for in the recipe.

1. Laurie says:

Do these taste coconutty? I use coconut milk in things I make that I want coconut flavored, but it is usually so faint I end up using extract. I only ask because while I do like mint, I don’t think I would like mint coconut! It seems like it may be just for texture and healthier???

2. Casey says:

Same question as Laurie – do these frosting shots taste like coconut?

1. The peppermint extract will mask any coconut flavor :)

4. Um that looks amazing, I need to go buy some coconut milk asap! I’ve never actually used coconut milk, I really need to jump on this bandwagon!

5. Shelley says:

Just an FYI, the Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk brand uses BPA in their cans. While this article is a couple years old, I don’t believe they have changed. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread49060.html

1. Thanks for pointing this out. I admit I am probably not as vigilant about avoiding bpa as I should be. Personally, I do use the TJ’s coconut cream now that there is a TJ’s in Texas! If you can find it, I highly recommend that one, both because it is bpa-free AND because you don’t have to worry about getting a “bad” can that doesn’t have enough fat.

6. Paige Flamm says:

Frosting is probably one of my favorite things ever. I’m well known for eating it straight from the little store bought cans! I’ll definitely be making these soon! Do you have a healthy version of a shamrock shake? That would be amazing!

Paige

1. Brittany says:

Hey, You should go on youtube and search leansecrets shamrock shake, it’s really healthy and It tastes just as good as the real thing!

7. This looks so yummy and super easy to make! I just need the can of coconut milk and I’m ready to go! :)

8. I’m pretty much obsessed with shamrock shakes. This looks like a healthier way to quenchy my frosty-mint craving. And yes, you will get that leprechaun next time for sure!;-)

9. Angie says:

Looks great, I love mint! I wanted to share a story with you. My ten year old daughter wants to make a cake for me for my bday. She asked me where the nook was so she could go to your site for a recipe. Thanks for being part of the village! It’s so hard to try and raise kids with healthy eating habits and your recipes let us still indulge without the harm. God bless you!

10. This recipe is awesome. I’m totally going to make these with my roommate for St. Patrick’s Day and add in some delicious peppermint schnapps!

11. Emma says:

Funnily enough, I did a project on the history of chocolate in what you would call third grade – it was so interesting!

12. Sooo making this on St. Paddy’s day! Or today. 😉 I’ve yet to try your chocolate and pumpkin frosting shots, but I have made plain vanilla coconut whipped cream (It was delicious!). Mint chocolate sounds much more exciting! 😀

13. Frosting shots?! Brilliant! And yes, I remember a TON of my school projects :) It was a longggggg time ago so that’s pretty impressive for me.

14. Oh my goodness! I could just eat that up with a spoon!

15. I think one of my favourite school projects was one in Hawaii. I guess it was more of a class activity than a project. We made a local treat- spam musubis. I definitely did not eat mine…gross! But the fact that we were “cooking” in school was so much fun!

16. Katie, THIS LOOKS AMAZING!!!!

17. I’m not a fan of normal frosting, but I recently made whipped cream with coconut cream and it was amazing– so I bet I would love this frosting! Excited to try it out :)

18. Kimberly says:

I’m laughing at the story about the leprechaun traps. My kiddos put out traps every year too but their traps are a bit different… instead of trying to catch the leprechaun, they try to convince him/her to put his/her gold into the trap. Every year they’ve found some “gold” coins in there so it must work. 😀

19. I love that you used spirulina for the green! Now that I’ve had the chocolate version of these frosting shots I’m ready to try every variety ;). I love the idea of using these in homemade ice cream…mmm…

20. Samantha says:

Wow. What a really sweet childhood memory and that sounds like a wonderful teacher. I love that idea.