Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Mint Chocolate Chip Frosting Shots

A good-for-you frosting that can be used on cupcakes or cookies or can be eaten by itself, with NO shortening, no heavy cream, no butter, and no sugar needed. Recipe here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/03/06/mint-chocolate-chip-frosting-shots/

This mint-chocolate cream is great for any of the following:

• As a frosting for cakes or cupcakes
  • For peppermint ice cream sundaes or brownies
  • As a rich and decadent pudding or mousse
  • To make friends with leprechauns!

mint chocolate chip cupcakes

For a St. Patrick’s Day dessert, try it on my Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes.

But let’s get back to that fourth suggestion for a moment… As a school project when I was in second grade, our teacher gave us the task of constructing a leprechaun trap. I tried to sound grown-up, telling everyone I didn’t believe in leprechauns. Secretly, however, I was very excited and spent weeks creating what I thought was a surefire leprechaun trap, complete with golden-coin bait, a sticky-tape floor, and rainbow walls. If I remember correctly, there was even a cereal bowl filled with Lucky Charms.

It was quite an elaborate trap!

mint chocolate frosting shots

On St. Patrick’s Day, I woke up extra early (think Christmas-morning early) and dressed for school at lightning speed, scowling as my little sister took her sweet time. When we reached the school building, I jumped from the car and ran through the halls to my second-grade classroom, which was still locked. Even the teacher hadn’t arrived yet. Impatiently, I tried to peek through the door’s small window, but it was impossible to see anything in the dark. Yet I knew he was in there… a real, live leprechaun.

You know how the story ends, right?

mint frosting

Teacher arrives, opens the door, turns on the lights…

And no leprechaun.

Some of the golden coins are eaten, the cereal is strewn across the floor, and a handwritten note is left in each student’s box: Your trap was very good. But it was no match for me. Better luck next time.

I was so disappointed!

mint chocolate chip frosting

Now I would like to go back to that second-grade classroom and try again.

Even a cunning leprechaun won’t be able to resist the charms of these creamy frosting shots. Smile

I still believe!

mint chocolate frosting shots

Mint Chocolate Frosting Shots

(free of shortening, and can also be sugar-free)

• 1 (13.5oz) can full-fat coconut milk – must be the canned type
  • 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp pure peppermint extract
  • pinch pure stevia OR 1 tbsp powdered sugar, or to taste
  • optional: 1/8 tsp spirulina or a few drops green food coloring (I used spirulina)
  • optional: chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips

Open the coconut milk, and if it’s not already super-thick, leave the can in the fridge overnight. (Don’t shake the can before you open it.) The coconut milk should get very, very thick. (Every now and then, you may unfortunately encounter a can that just doesn’t have enough fat content and therefore never gets thick. I highly recommend Thai Kitchen Organic. Or, if you can find coconut cream at an Asian market or Trader Joe’s, you can use that instead – it will work every time! A hint is to shake the can when you’re at the store. If you can hear the liquidy contents swishing around, it’s probably too thin to work for this recipe.) Once thick, transfer only the thick and creamy portion to a bowl and whip in your sweetener with a fork, or with beaters if you want to be fancy and get stiff peaks like real whipped cream! (I used a Magic Bullet for the frosting shots in the photos.) Best to store frosted cupcakes in the fridge, or frost at the last minute, so icing stays firm.

View Frosting Shots Nutrition Facts

healthy frosting

Do you remember any of your school projects?

I guess I was strange in that I kind of loved school projects. Puppet shows, paper dolls, skits, giant posters… the more elaborate, the better. And book reports? Yes, I loved those too!

Link of the Day: 23 Healthy Frosting Recipes

1. Frosting shots? Never would have thought of making them but it sure sounds better than eating spoonfulls out of the frosting tub – as I love to do :)

2. Lisa says:

Oh my gosh, these look truly amazing!!! I’ve made “ice cream” with coconut milk, but never thought of frosting. These are perfect for St. Patty’s day coming up too, of course:)

3. Can you use anything besides coconut milk. I am not a coconut fan!

1. You could always try soaked and blended cashews (blend with a little water). Use an equal amount to the coconut cream called for in the recipe.

1. Laurie says:

Do these taste coconutty? I use coconut milk in things I make that I want coconut flavored, but it is usually so faint I end up using extract. I only ask because while I do like mint, I don’t think I would like mint coconut! It seems like it may be just for texture and healthier???

2. Casey says:

Same question as Laurie – do these frosting shots taste like coconut?

3. The peppermint extract will mask any coconut flavor :)

4. These look so good! I’ve tried your chocolate frosting shots before and I loved them, so I can’t wait to try these since I like mint flavored anything.

5. Um that looks amazing, I need to go buy some coconut milk asap! I’ve never actually used coconut milk, I really need to jump on this bandwagon!

6. Shelley says:

Just an FYI, the Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk brand uses BPA in their cans. While this article is a couple years old, I don’t believe they have changed. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread49060.html

1. Thanks for pointing this out. I admit I am probably not as vigilant about avoiding bpa as I should be. Personally, I do use the TJ’s coconut cream now that there is a TJ’s in Texas! If you can find it, I highly recommend that one, both because it is bpa-free AND because you don’t have to worry about getting a “bad” can that doesn’t have enough fat.

7. Paige Flamm says:

Frosting is probably one of my favorite things ever. I’m well known for eating it straight from the little store bought cans! I’ll definitely be making these soon! Do you have a healthy version of a shamrock shake? That would be amazing!

Paige

1. Brittany says:

Hey, You should go on youtube and search leansecrets shamrock shake, it’s really healthy and It tastes just as good as the real thing!

8. This looks so yummy and super easy to make! I just need the can of coconut milk and I’m ready to go! :)

9. I’m pretty much obsessed with shamrock shakes. This looks like a healthier way to quenchy my frosty-mint craving. And yes, you will get that leprechaun next time for sure!;-)

10. Angie says:

Looks great, I love mint! I wanted to share a story with you. My ten year old daughter wants to make a cake for me for my bday. She asked me where the nook was so she could go to your site for a recipe. Thanks for being part of the village! It’s so hard to try and raise kids with healthy eating habits and your recipes let us still indulge without the harm. God bless you!

11. This recipe is awesome. I’m totally going to make these with my roommate for St. Patrick’s Day and add in some delicious peppermint schnapps!

12. Emma says:

Funnily enough, I did a project on the history of chocolate in what you would call third grade – it was so interesting!

13. Sooo making this on St. Paddy’s day! Or today. 😉 I’ve yet to try your chocolate and pumpkin frosting shots, but I have made plain vanilla coconut whipped cream (It was delicious!). Mint chocolate sounds much more exciting! 😀

14. Frosting shots?! Brilliant! And yes, I remember a TON of my school projects :) It was a longggggg time ago so that’s pretty impressive for me.

15. Oh my goodness! I could just eat that up with a spoon!

16. I think one of my favourite school projects was one in Hawaii. I guess it was more of a class activity than a project. We made a local treat- spam musubis. I definitely did not eat mine…gross! But the fact that we were “cooking” in school was so much fun!

17. Katie, THIS LOOKS AMAZING!!!!

18. I’m not a fan of normal frosting, but I recently made whipped cream with coconut cream and it was amazing– so I bet I would love this frosting! Excited to try it out :)

19. I love the idea of making frosting with coconut milk!

20. Kimberly says:

I’m laughing at the story about the leprechaun traps. My kiddos put out traps every year too but their traps are a bit different… instead of trying to catch the leprechaun, they try to convince him/her to put his/her gold into the trap. Every year they’ve found some “gold” coins in there so it must work. 😀

21. I love that you used spirulina for the green! Now that I’ve had the chocolate version of these frosting shots I’m ready to try every variety ;). I love the idea of using these in homemade ice cream…mmm…

22. Samantha says:

Wow. What a really sweet childhood memory and that sounds like a wonderful teacher. I love that idea.

23. In third grade, we did a year-long class project that involved us petitioning to have a postage stamp dedicated to grandmother’s, in general. It was quite the class project and we ended up being written about in newspapers and even had a news story filmed for CNN! In the end, we never got that stamp approved but it was quite memorable :)

24. man i love your desserts, i really need to get zome xylitol and other stuff to experiment with :)

25. I have a question. How do you eat a frosting shot? With a spoon? Or do you kind of suck it out of that little paper thing or use your tongue to lick at it? Because I don’t want to look like an idiot when I make this. But it would be funny to watch my friends try to figure it out.

1. Yeah, with a spoon :).

Like mousse… or you can go the more-traditional route and use it as regular frosting.

26. Jacque Foster says:

I love the idea of a leprechaun trap project! Every year my friend overturns chairs and tables, rearranges pictures on the wall, hanging some upside-down, spray-paints her kids’ hair green, paints their faces with green paint, puts clover-themed socks on their feet, puts green food-coloring in their milk and performs other acts of mischief around the house, blaming it on the leprechaun come morning. The kids have to go to school like that on St. Patrick’s Day. I love it! (Sorry I didn’t answer your question–this idea is too good not to share, though. :)

27. Gini says:

I have to give your kudos on your new site and all the recipes you post. I am as far from vegan as you can get, but even I am willing to try your redesigned recipes. My niece and her boyfriend are vegan and he owns a vegan restaurant in Syracuse, NY. I have to say some of the stuff I have sampled hasn’t been the best, but I have had vegan choc chip cookies and we very impressed. I can’t wait to try your recipes. Who knows, maybe I will be willing to give up my red meat. Thanks again!

28. chelsea says:

I love the new look of your website! I also, love your recipes. Keep up the good work.

29. Mallory says:

This is probably something I should know, but how do you get spirulina by itself? Is it a powder? I always just see it included in things I buy =) but I’m OBSESSED with making anything I can green!!

1. Look in the vitamin section of a health-food store. Ask for it and the clerk should know where to look. It comes in a little vitamin-sized container.

30. I have been obsessed with the chocolate-peppermint combo lately (thanks to NuNaturals!) and having something with it almost every day. Usually it’s a “healthy” shamrock shake or simply just putting a few drops of chocolate and peppermint liquid stevia into some plain Greek yogurt. Mmmmmm.
    I love the idea of frosting shots (because I’m way too old to do “real” shots!)

31. Violet says:

The regular grocery store near where I live has coconut cream, it’s just in kind of a weird location. They keep it in what I think they intend to be the “weird people ingredients” section, along with ghee, vanilla pasta, and cacao nibs.

1. Violet says:

^and I live in a small town. point being that even if u don’t live near a Trader Joe’s u still might find coconut cream

32. I love mint!!! I bet this would be good on your chocolate mug cake!! :-)

33. These look delicious! I’m curious…do you think you could sneak some spinach into these? 😉

34. Erica says:

I just recently found your site and may I just say WOW!! I just tried the Nutella recipe tonight and my hubby could not get over how amazing it was. :)

I do have a question on whipping the coconut milk. I tried it the other day, using Thai Kitchen full fat, refrigerated overnight, and just using the thick cream part itself. So far so good. Put it in the Vitamix, and I don’t know if I didn’t have enough, but it liquified part of it, then by the time the rest of it went in (the tamper didn’t reach it well), it started getting chunky. I ended up just letting it liquify the entire thing and put it in the fridge. It thickened back and tasted wonderful, but wasn’t really “whipped”. Do you have any suggestions? Or should I just stick with the hand mixer?

1. I’ve never tried it in the Vita; only the magic bullet or in a stand mixer. I know it works well in both :).

35. Alaine says:

Every part of this recipe looks delicious!

36. Lauren says:

Could you throw all the mixed ingredients in an ice cream maker? :)

1. I don’t see why not. If you try, let me know how it turns out!

37. Emily says:

Oh, my gosh, I started typing out a message to you yesterday on FB regarding a chocolate mint craving. I deleted my request, but you must have felt the vibes anyway! Thanks for the post; can’t wait to make it!

1. Haha maybe it is a St. Patrick’s Day thing? It is the season to crave mint… I think I’ve made four different mint recipes this week.

38. Sadie says:

I remember Paper-mache everything. I loved paper-mache but have yet to do anything with it with my son. Possibly a next weekend project now that i’m thinking of it. Oooh we also made these fantastic baked apples one time that I loved but havent replicated since. Every time I make a baked apple, it falls far short of the memory of the ones we made at school.

Now spirulina. I’ve been looking for a natural green food coloring. From what i remember, spirulina has a strong taste so does the taste heavily effect these shots?

1. If you added too much, it would. But I kept the amount VERY small, so you don’t taste it. Plus, you get a minty hue as opposed to an ugly green.

1. Anonymous says:

awesome! Thanks! I’ll have to try it :)

39. Ooh! This looks so, so yummy! I love using Spirulina! Great recipe, Katie! :)

40. Tara says:

Definitely trying this! It has everything i love!
    Question: Spirulina… I’ve never used it before. Curious about the taste, where you found it in ground form and not pills/tablets. And what other recipes you use it in on a regular basis. Love using something natural and protein based as a food color though!

1. Ask in the vitamin section of a health food store.

I do have some other recipes I need to post that use it. But in very small amounts you can use it in smoothies without an aftertaste.

41. Jamie says:

Looks delicious as usual! (:
    and i was thinking, could you PLEASE create a vegan cakeball recipe!

42. Aja says:

Oh, so good! I need to make these. I think I say that about everything you post, though. I love that they’re in little cups like the ones you put ketchup in at fast food places.

43. SGM says:

You know, I’ve been meaning to tell you about Trader Joe’s coconut CREAM, for use for these. It’s so much thicker than coconut milk and works great as a vegan whipped cream (my brother, who is so anti-vegan, loves it).

44. Sarah says:

That is the cutest story I’ve heard in a while- I even read it out loud to my husband! I was a middle school teacher and my students used to get so into the smallest things- they even made me a Johnny Tremain Barbie doll that I still have.

45. My kids had to make leprechaun traps in 2nd grade too!! My third child is only in kindergarten so we’ve got one more chance to catch that sneaky leprechaun still 😉

These cupcakes and frosting look amazing!

46. Katie I am a big fan of your blog and your recipes…did not think healthy desserts existed..
    I wanted to share my love for your blog with all my blog readers…do have a look when you get a chance…love

47. Meghan says:

I love you, CCK! Must try this with chocolate cupcakes!!!

48. That’s adorable and hilarious! Making these for sure!

49. olivia says:

They look good. I love these so much.

50. Laurie says:

Do these taste at all coconutty?? I use coconut milk in other things I want to be coconut, but it doesn’t seem to add a strong taste, I usually end up adding extract. And I am thinking the peppermint overtakes any coconut flavor? I just ask because while minty things are good, I don’t think I would care for mint coconut!

51. -- says:

PLEASE GET HELP YOU ARE OBSESSED WITH FOOD AND VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY UNDERWEIGHT

52. emma says:

It looks delicious. I love Irish recipes and St. Patrick’s Day as such. My husband is of Irish descent, we visit the country quite often and we have many Irish friends here in Canada as well. And I’ll now have a perfect opportunity to prepare your recipe either at home or during a cooking class we signed up for a month ago. To put it more precisely, my husband gave me a special gift on this year’s Valentine’s Day – he booked a cooking class organized by Zac’s cooking school in our native Vancouver called – cooking classes for couples so we’re now collecting interesting recipes to come up with during that course and your recipe will definitely be part of our list. :)

53. Anonymous says:

im gonna try to make mint chocolate chip pie for pi day with this and your pie crust recipe!!! im hoping my friends like it.

54. Nicole says:

I made this recipe today and it was WONDERFUL! Served it with black bean brownies. Needless to say, there were no leftovers. I didn’t have spirulina so used a little barley green powder, which worked just fine. As for school projects, one that sticks out me was creating a to-scale model of the solar system using a huge papier mache covered beach ball for the sun.

55. Andrea G says:

Just made these and they are fantastic! Used the dairy free choc chips from Enjoy Life and they were perfect :)

56. AmyM says:

I just discovered your site and can’t stop reading. I happened to buy a can of TJ’s coconut cream the other day, just because it looked intriguing. Now I have a plan for it! My favorite thing to make in elementary school was a diorama — you know, a shoebox with a whole scene constructed inside. I like to believe my dioramas were epic.

57. Yum, your frosting looks great! I can’t wait to try making frosting with coconut milk now!

58. I love this idea! Thanks so much! :)

59. Pati says:

This is worth trying !!!! Thanks for sharing ..Looks real yummy !

60. Anonymous says:

sorry i would eat it but i don’t eat sugar

61. Happybelly says:

hey there, first wanna say I adore your blog….everything I have made turns out amazing and people are shocked to find out some of the secret ingredients :) I have a question about the frosting shots….I have tried this and it just doesn’t seem to work for me, no matter how long i refrigerate the coconut milk when i go to whip it it becomes a runny mess :( do you have a specific brand you like? The only success ive had with this kind of frosting is when its blended with coconut oil and cashews:/Thanks so much, and again, thank you for being so creative with all these recipes!

1. For guaranteed results, try either Trader Joe’s coconut CREAM (not milk) or coconut cream from an Asian market.

62. I alos remember making leprochaun traps. We would find washable green “footprints” on the floor the day after setting our traps, but I disdainfully knew the teachers were behind that… the leprochauns themselves were much too sneaky to leave any footprints! But if I had ever left them a tasty treat, I’m sure they would have fallen into my trap!

63. Dina says:

I have a question. I’ve used coconut cream before and kept it in the fridge, it went bad after 6-7 days, every time I used it. If you google it, that’s it’s shelf life in the fridge. So how does the frosting stay good?

64. Patty Morningstar says:

Katie
    When does your cookbook come out?
    Patty

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Apparently it comes out in December! :)

65. lauren says:

the real question — could these possibly be made into real frosting “shots?” for a party? i.e. can I add some peppermint schnapps/vanilla vodka/etc or will the whole thing separate?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I think it depends on how thick your coconut milk is. I would try it with coconut cream.

66. David says:

Oh my gosh!!! I did the exact same thing at my school during Second Grade! I know just how disappointed you felt.

Also, the cupcakes look great. Mmmmmm…

67. Faith says:

I don’t wanna hear about your day! Just get on with the recipe. Sheesh, bloggers these days….

68. Jess says:

How long do you have to blend for it to get thick?

69. Jess says:

How long do you have to blend for the mixture to thicken?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Unless you’ve gotten a bad can of coconut milk, it should be thick immediately.

70. This is not a comment, but a question. I cannot get a hold of full fat coconut milk where I live. Do you think I could combine some homemade coconut butter (your recipe) with coconut cream to achieve the same results? What do you think the proportions should be? Thanks so much! We have been trying various recipes–both peanut butter pie versions, and the monster mint chocolate cupcakes are winners with my crowd of testers–including many grandchildren–and they can be picky about their sweets!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can definitely experiment! Edible experiments are fun! Be sure to report back if you do experiment :-)

71. Abby Balkus says:

How much does this recipe make