Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Raspberry Vanilla Coffee Cake

Raspberry Vanilla Coffee Cake - healthy

Do not skip this post!

True, there’s no chocolate, no peanut butter, and no Oreos. (Your attention is waning already, isn’t it?) But just because a dessert might not be Super Nutella Triple Threat Fudge Cake doesn’t mean it can’t still taste delicious.

(By the way, why don’t I have a Super Nutella Triple Threat Fudge Cake on the blog?)

This light raspberry yogurt cake has a melt-in-your-mouth texture and tastes like a giant breakfast pastry. It’s definitely something worth waking up for!

Raspberry Breakfast Cake

Raspberry Vanilla Coffee Cake

(makes 10 slices)

• 1 cup milk of choice (240g)
  • 1/2 cup vanilla-flavored yogurt (such as Wholesoy or Silk) (115g)
  • 1 tbsp ground flax (5g)
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (6g)
  • 3 tbsp coconut or veg oil (30g)
  • 2 cups spelt flour, all-purpose, or Bob’s gf (250g)
  • 2/3 cups xylitol or sugar (or sucanat) (130g)
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/16 tsp pure stevia, or 2 extra tbsp sugar (or 2 NuNaturals packets)
  • 1 2/3 cups raspberries (230g)
  • 1/3 cup more raspberries (50g)
  • optional: chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F, and grease a 9 1/2-in springform pan. Combine first 5 ingredients (yes, the flax too) and whisk. Set aside. In a separate, large measuring bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except the final 1/3 cup raspberries, and stir well. Pour wet into dry and stir until evenly combined (don’t overmix). Pour into the prepared pan, then sprinkle the remaining berries on top. Bake 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out relatively clean. Cool the healthy raspberry coffee cake in pan on a wire rack, 15 minutes, then remove the sides of the pan.

Nutrition information is almost identical to here.

Raspberry Breakfast Cake

raspberry coffee cake

Question of the Day:

Did you fall for any April Fool’s jokes yesterday?

I told my sister that Kate Middleton was having triplets. She was very excited… and then very mad at me! Also, just to clarify: In case anyone missed the end of yesterday’s post and didn’t notice the awful photoshopped picture of me at the beginning, yes it was an April Fool’s joke. Thanks for all the congratulations emails and comments… I wish it were true, but it’s not!

Link of the Day:

Copycat Dark Chocolate Crunch Bars!

…….No-Bake Chocolate Crunch Bars

1. Mmm this cake looks so tasty!!

2. Tanner says:

Oh, wow! This takes the cake (pun intended) at the top of my baking list! No raspberries, though, so I’ll be using strawberries, and oat flour. By the way, it says 3 tbsp cocout oil, just so you know 😉
    P.S. You totally got me yesterday, all the way up to the end! :)

1. Thanks for letting me know! :)

1. Tanner says:

Oh, I’m soooo excited! It’s in the oven now! I used oat flour, vegan butter, and blackberries! I also used 340g of berries, just because I didn’t want to deal with leftover berries 😉
        My mom came in and said, “That looks berry-licious!”

2. 0246 says:

please let us know how the oat flour is! i’m gluten free and hate futzing with GF mixes.

3. Tanner says:

It turned out great! It’s very dense and hearty, but oh so yummy!

4. Anonymous says:

Are we not supposed to use 3 TBS of the oil? I’m about to make this how much should I use then?
        Thanks!

3. Kate says:

This looks AMAZING. Sometimes it’s refreshing to skip the chocolate. 😉 Thanks for sharing!

4. Cheryl says:

Can anyone give me more info on sucanat – I can’t seem to find it locally. Is it worth buying online? Is it similar to coconut palm sugar? (That’s what I’ve been using.) Thanks!

1. Yes it is similar to coconut palm sugar in texture, but they have two different taste. Sucanat to me is a lighter texture then raw can sugar.. If you have raw cane sugar it is pretty much the same thing.. Just one is dehydrated cane juice and the other is not… I only use palm sugar in most of my deserts now it takes some time getting use to, but it works just as well as other sweeteners :).

5. Michelle says:

This looks yummy!

6. Laura says:

Looks delish. Funny timing, though. I actually just made your Eggy Breakfast Bread this morning (sweetened with maple syrup and using plain ‘ol corn starch instead of enrg egg) and by doubling the vanilla and adding a generous handful of raspberries I enjoyed a VERY delicious (and healthy!) breakfast cake. Naturally GF too :)

7. Anonymous says:

thanks for this… looks refreshing in a comforting kind of way!!!

8. Jessasaurus says:

oh! My wedding cake was raspberry! I have never found a good recipe….this might be the lucky one! Thanks!!

9. A lovely little coffee cake :) I fell for no jokes yesterday, thank goodness. They always get me super embarrassed!

10. Look at the moist crumb! Oh my!

11. What a merry morning I will have with this lovely very berry coffee cake. I love how pretty in pink your photos are!

12. Kelsey says:

Looks so good! …we could put a little chocolate on top :)

13. This looks awesome. I think I was sleeping all day yesterday, cause I really didn’t hear anything that funny or convincing. Mostly a lot of fake pregnancy announcements on Facebook, and one real one.

14. I’ve been obsessed with raspberries lately. This cake looks fantastic!

15. Bianca says:

It looks delicious even without chocolate:) But a super duper chocolately nutella fudge cake would be awesome!
    I fell for two pranks yesterday! (I’m very gullible) First, was yours, and then my sister put toothpaste in between my oreo. :/ They were very minty;)

16. Sarah the official CCK drooler says:

Don’t worry…it’ll be true SOME day :)
    I fell for your little joke yesterday and only the smart commenters saved me from making a fool out of myself in a comment. My sister totally fell for it though. Gullible.
    Next time, I suggest fooling us into believing that you gave your deep dish pie to Channing Tatum and he proposed. That’ll go over well :)

17. OMGGGGGG.. you are such a prankster. LOL. I went and told like 3 other people you were going to be on Ellen. You know, you may just get called to the show. Never know! This cake looks amazing.

18. Lucy says:

you really fooled me yesterday! anyway- what flour did you use out of all of them?

1. That’s spelt in the photos. But if I list a gf option for a recipe, one of my friends or I have always tested it as well.

19. Your joke was the only one I temporarily fell for! So nice job!! :)

This cake looks amazing! Lots of exclamation points this morning haha

20. Sushma says:

That cake looks absolutely delicious. I am going to try a single serving cupcake of this recipe, will let you know how it goes.
    Haha and yes, I was fooled by your post yesterday :)

21. Stefanía says:

You are so amazing Katie! That cake looks absolutely divine :)

22. Did somebody say “Super Nutella Triple Threat Fudge Cake”? Oh wait….sorry, I got distracted by how awesome that sounded! But raspberry coffee cake looks tasty too. Maybe even better schmeared with vegan Nutella.

23. I’ve never actually had a flavored coffee cake, just regular coffee cake, this sound delicious!

24. karlie says:

Looks great! FYI though, the nutition link isn’t working-it just goes to a blank page that says “recipage” :(

1. It should be working. Sometimes Recipage takes a little while to load, but it’s working on my end. Is it still down for you?

25. Emilia says:

This looks delicious! I love raspberries and coffee cake, though I am always put off by how shockingly unhealthy it is. These updates (yogurt!) make it look much more palatable. A dessert I’ll skip chocolate for :)

26. Abby says:

Yum! This cake looks SO delicious!! I’ll have to try it soon! :)

27. Kaira says:

The only pranks that got played on me were when my sister hid all our bookmarks in a folder, I thought they had all disappeared. I played a lot of pranks though, my brother’s got their rooms prettied up, my sisters got their beds tied up with string and mysterious messages popped up on our computer desktop. Oh, and I served brown E’s for dinner. (Paper with brown e’s drawn on it.) :) That cake looks delicious.

28. Sadye says:

This is definitely on my to-try list!

29. Gisi says:

OMG this looks amazing :)
    good that the ingridients are now in gramm 😀 hahaha easier to follow for germans 😀

30. Mali Korsten says:

This looks delicious!

31. Kelly Merchant says:

Well I didn’t think I had fallen for an april fools joke until I just read this and realize that I did!! My friend sent me your post yesterday about your “show on Ellen”! Until now, I thought it was true! Sneaky!!

32. OMG you totally had me! Great April fools joke! This cake looks great too. Thanks for the recipe. :)

33. Gosh I have tried working with yogurt, but I could never get the hang of it I will be defiantly trying this recipe.. :)

34. That looks seriously amazing!

35. Okay, I guess I need glasses! Or better ones at that. You totally got me with the Ellen interview joke. I was telling ALL my friends that food blogging is NOT LAME because CCK got on Ellen! Oh well, I still think you would have been great on Ellen. And they don’t need to know the truth. 😉

36. MaryJ says:

so glad to see raspberries starring in your recipe – my favorite all time fruit and so easy to use. If you come to my house it will be pavlova and whipped cream with my homemade real raspberry sauce – divine.

37. Jeanie says:

This looks incredible! I can’t wait to try it 😉

38. Shani says:

I know this is probably a really silly question considering this is a vegan blog, but is the ground flax in your recipes meant to do the same thing as an egg, and is it possible for non-vegans like me to just use an egg instead? I just don’t have any flax, and it’s not so easy to get in my area, and I would probably use it for nothing else 😛

1. Kitty Bea says:

Shani, I can’t tell you exactly Katie’s intentions with the flax, but I have added an egg or 2 in her recipes when they didn’t call for it, e.g. in the blondie brownies or chocolate cupcakes. Many times the texture could be a little different, but in my opinion the result is often even more moister and very easy to add without adjusting anything else. Also you CAN skip the flax (although I haven’t made this particular recipe YET I’ve done the same for other recipes when I didn’t have it off-hand)–it’s only 1 TBS after all. Hope that helps. :)

39. shaina says:

hey lovely lady,
    i have all the ingredients to make this and feel like it’s a good excuse to avoid studying… but i don’t have a spring-form pan (#poorstudentlife) , is there anything else i could use? a loaf pan or ramekin? and how about frozen raspberries?
    sorry for all the questions :)
    happy april <3

1. Anonymous says:

I used an 8×8 glass pan and it turned out fine.

1. Frozen raspberries work great!

40. I love how moist yogurt makes things! This cake looks perfect for breakfast :)

41. Paige Flamm says:

Love this recipe! I think I’m going to have to try it out this weekend! I just got done writing your guest post over at my blog for tomorrow and I’m pretty excited about it! Thanks again!

Paige

42. Anonymous says:

This looks really satisfying and dense. Its not often that I drool over a cake without chocolate or at least chocolate chips in it. I will admit I fell for your Ellen story right until the last line. It kind of made sense since she is vegan and everything. Shows how much we all believe in you.

1. Laura says:

Ellen isn’t vegan anymore! She mentioned during one of her shows in November (I think to Lisa Kudrow) that she eats eggs from her neighbours chickens!

43. Bek @ Crave says:

Your photos look so good- teach my your ways? Oh and the cake looks like amazing ughhhh so good!

44. Anonymous says:

I did see your “April Fools” post the other day and it made me smile although wouldn’t it be awesome to get asked! This “coffee cake” sounds great! See I gave up desserts temporarily so if I call this cake I won’t indulge but coffee cake is a breakfast thing right and therefore not dessert! Boy my mind does evil things!

45. Aly says:

Is the vanilla yogurt supposed to be sweetened, or unsweetened? I usually use plain yogurt and am planning on just adding vanilla extract to it to make it “vanilla.”

1. Debbie P. says:

I had all ingredients except for yogurt. I went to 3 stores that normally sell non-dairy stuff, but no yogurt. I ended up using So Delicious coconut milk yogurt, plain. (I was SO going to make this dessert!!!!) I just added extra vanilla and my hubby and son love it!!!

46. Sarah says:

Just want to say that first picture is absolutly beautiful! I also like your site :)

47. Lena says:

This looks great! Think I’ll try it with strawberries… how much would you say 1/16th tsp of stevia is in drops? I finally have liquid stevia but unfortunately no measuring spoon that small!

1. Lena says:

I just realized you probably meant 1/16th of a tsp in powder. Oops. Oh well, I’ll just try to aim for a fourth of the 1/4th tsp :-)

48. Sunnie says:

Hi Katie!

Quick question: I’ve never baked with Xylitol before – does it yield a pretty similar texture? Also, did you calculate nutrition facts based on Xylitol? I try not to eat too much sugar, so I think I’ll definitely be trying the Xylitol option (gee, have I exhausted that word yet? Three times in three sentences! 😉 )

49. Lucy says:

Looks yummy, has anyone tried to sub plain Greek yogurt?

50. This sounds lovely, any cake with raspberries is good by me!