Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Mini Muffins

These chocolate chip mini muffins are so soft and chewy it’s almost like eating chocolate chip cookies in the form of a muffin.

Flourless Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins Flourless Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins

Chocolate chip cookies > muffins.
Actually if we’re being honest, chocolate chip cookies > pretty much everything else.

Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
Hope you enjoyed your math lesson for the day.

Flourless Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins

• 1 cup almond meal (100g)
  • 2 tbsp ground flaxmeal
  • scant 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 2-3 tbsp mini chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
  • 2 tsp white or apple cider vinegar

Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins: Preheat oven to 280F and grease a mini muffin tin, then set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together all liquid ingredients. Pour wet into dry and stir to form a dough, then scoop into 8 or 9 mini muffin cups. Place in the oven and immediately increase temperature to 325F. Bake 22 minutes, then remove from the oven and let cool at least 15 minutes before removing from the muffin cups.

View Nutrition Facts

mini muffins

Link of the Day:

……No-Bake Peanut Butter Pie

Happy National Peanut Butter Month!

Tags: , , ,

1. Katie you have done it again! These looks amazing and perfect. I don’t know how you keep coming up with these awesome healthified recipes!

2. becauseHeloves! says:

I have almond meal! Wooohooooo!

3. These looks awesome! And easy to make vegan with the chocolate chips :)
    I love your recipes!

4. Tracy says:

Oooh! Love the grain-free recipe :-) Can you tell us how to adjust it to do a whole pan of muffins?

1. Jenny says:

For one muffin pan (normal sized muffins, or 24 mini muffins), try:
      2 + 2/3 cups almond meal
      5 Tbsp + 1 tsp (roughly equivalent to 1/3 cup) ground flax
      2/3 tsp salt
      1/3 cup chocolate chips
      2/3 cup water
      5 Tbsp + 1 tsp maple syrup
      5 Tbsp + 1 tsp coconut oil
      2 Tbsp vinegar

I made them with almond pulp (leftover from making almond milk) and used the above amounts (2 2/3 cup of almond pulp instead of almond meal, butter instead of coconut oil, and decreased the water to 1/3 cup (used almond milk instead!)) and I had great results. :) Depending on the salt you use, you may want to use 1/2 tsp in the altered version (above) rather than 2/3 tsp! (I used 2/3 tsp but kosher salt is a bit fluffier so it was probably more like 1/4 tsp of regular iodized salt.)

Great recipe, Katie. Great way to use up leftover almond pulp.

5. Melissa says:

Yum, I’ve always loved mini chocolate chip muffins! When I was younger, I used to eat the small ones by Hostess (I think that was the brand) and looked forward to it, as an after-school snack!

6. terezka says:

Hey Katie, do you think these would taste good as jumbo muffins?
    Sometimes when one makes something jumbo it looses not only it’s cuteness but also the texture and flavor. so I just wondered what you thought about these. Thank you!

7. Amy says:

These look great and I have all the ingredients!
    Are the nutrition facts per mini muffin?

8. It’s National Peanut Butter month? That is something I can celebrate!

9. Steph says:

Love that these are paleo!

1. MC says:

My thoughts exactly! Katie, you should have a paleo category.

10. Totally agree with your math today 😀

11. Samantha says:

These look like little pockets of chocolatey goodness. Thanks for the recipe!

12. You did it again Katie!! These look fantastic!!! I can’t wait to whip them up! It just soo happens I have some ground almonds in my cupboard! 😉

13. Rachelle says:

Yay! I recently started eating “Paleo” and was so bummed when I couldn’t use many of your recipes anymore, but this one is perfect! Thank you!

14. Bridget says:

Katie – Is there an alternative you would recommend to almond meal for a tree-nut allergy girl? :-)

1. beth says:

Definitely would love to know about a peanut/tree nut allergen flour alternative! I have access to oat flour, millet flour and brown rice flour easily on top of regular old flour. Would one of those work?

1. Carmen says:

I am going to try these using ground pumpkin seeds.

1. Jenny says:

I imagine these would work with ground pumpkin seeds, as Carmen suggested. You could probably get good results using a mix of the three flours available to you. Millet flour will be closest in texture to almond meal, but it can be overpowering if used by itself. Maybe try 2/3 cup millet flour and 1/3 cup oat flour (if you’re staying faithful to the amounts in the recipe and not doubling it)?

Read more:

15. Katie says:

Can I skip flax and water and use egg? Would it be 1 or 2?

1. Steph says:

Eggs are amazing and you should definitely use them if you’re not vegan! A flax egg is 1 T flax + 3 T water, so I would say use 2 eggs.

1. MC says:

Thank you for the paleo -friendly adjustment recommendation 😉

16. Livi says:

I’ve never seen apple cider vinegar in muffins! I can’t wait to try them!

17. These look awesome!! They remind me of your strawberry shortcake muffins — which were totally yummy!! You rock!!

18. Lauren says:

Would Garbonzo bean flour work the same as almond meal?

19. these are so cute! Although they may be dangerously addictive…and I will probably end up consuming the whole batch…

20. Lisa Ernst says:

Another great looking recipe I can’t wait to try. These would be a good take along for a long road trip. For my taste, I would definitely up the chocolate chips considerably as it would seem to me that just a few tablespoons wouldn’t go very far. That’s me though, being a major chocolate lover, I always want an even and generous distribution of chips in my recipes. Thanks for a wonderful looking recipe!

21. Victoria says:

I want to make these, but in normal muffin size! Has anyone tried it? I know sometimes mini recipes don’t work well for normal size. Katie, have you tried it?

1. Katie Swan says:

I made these this morning and I used normal muffin tins. It made six muffins. They didn’t rise in the middle (sunk down a little instead) and I had to cook them a few extra minutes. But they were still delicious! LOVED them.

22. wendy says:

these baked and tasted great!

23. I still have yet to bake with almond meal or flour. I have had pretty good luck with some gluten free flours such as rice and tapioca but I would really like to experiment with almond meal and coconut flour still. These look wonderful!

24. Katie,

I love cute little mini everythings!

But here’s my problem- since they are so bite sized…I sneak them all into my mouth one after the other because I just cant get enough!
    I just love chocolate. I don’t know why..So good.

I have cheat days on my diet so i’m allowed to indulge….

25. Melina says:

Have you tried using any other types of flours? I have oat flour, whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, and rice flour, but no almond meal :(

1. Jenny says:

You could probably get similar results using whole wheat flour. You’d just have to be careful of the baking time and the liquids added. Almond meal might not need as much liquid added to the recipe it’s in, since it’s quite moist, so you might need to add more liquid if you’re using whole wheat flour!

26. Lauren says:

I just want you to know that you have inspired me! I have followed your blog for over a year, and about a week ago, I finally worked up the tenacity to start my own food blog!
    I am so excited! I am a college student with not a lot of time, but I am making it work! Thank you so much Katie!

27. I’ve been on a real muffin kick lately, and these little babies looks so adorable, and I’m sure they’re delicious too! I love the short ingredient list!

28. These look so interesting — almost like little, fluffy rice cakes! I’m definitely bookmarking these to try later. I also wanted to let you know that I featured this recipe on my blog’s Weekend Wrap-Up – feel free to check out the post (linked below). Thanks for another delicious looking recipe, and I hope you have a great weekend!

29. I love the simple ingredients used–these look amazing!

30. Emily says:

These look absolutely scrumdidliumtious :-)

31. Denise says:

I made these this morning. They didn’t pass the 3 and 5-year old taste test but my 1 year old son liked them. I liked them as well!! I made regular sized muffins and they turned out fine.

32. Ronda says:

I just made these but I used organic soy milk instead of water (I’ve never seen water used as an ingredient in a baking recipe before), and I skipped the vinegar. They turned out fantastic. I’ll double the recipe next time!
    Can you tell me what the purpose of the vinegar is? Just curious.

1. em says:

that’s interesting that they still turned out fantastic, because from my past experience and looking at this recipe, it’s likely the vinegar is used to react with the baking soda to make it ‘rise’ (correct me if I’m wrong Katie? :))… :)

33. Heather says:

Tee hee! Top muffin has such a cute little smile–makes this look like a muffin ‘snowman!’

34. Audrey says:

I have made several of your recipes and my BF hasn’t been a fan of anything i’ve made. Of course i’ve loved everything. But this one was a winner! The man who thinks veggies are only are peas and broccoli loves these little bites. I had to actually hide them. :)

35. Emily says:

Loved these so much! Whipped them up twice already as they’re so quick and easy to make. You need to make more recipes like this that a paleo and grain free!

36. Donna says:

Anything that has chocolate in it is a sure bet for me, thanks for this “mini” recipe!

37. Cassie says:

I HAVE TO TRY THESE! I’ve been craving a chocolate chip muffin and these look so simple and delicious!

38. Jill says:

Your page makes me want to eat chocolate.. ALL DAY :-) :-) & also makes me feel like its perfectly ok to do so lol! Love it .

39. em says:

need to try these!! am a chocolate chip cookie lover and (not that I’m doubting your ability to create something like this ;)) but it is even possible to capture the elements of a ccc in a muffin?? :) guess I shall find out 😉 they look amazing!!!

40. Lauren says:

Hi Katie! These little muffins look adorable and delicious! I just made almond milk and have the almond meal leftover in the freezer! One question.. If I do not have maple syrup, would agave syrup possibly work as a substitute? Thanks for the recipe as always!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Yes that would be fine.

41. Becky says:

Hi Katie, I just made these and want to let you know they are awesome! They are actually very similar to Elana Amsterdam’s Chocolate Chip Scones in her Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook. The main difference is that hers have eggs (and she uses a different fat and sweetener, but the ratios in her recipe and yours are almost exactly the same :). I make them for my boys for breakfast on a weekly basis because we love them, so I was excited to try your vegan version and I have to say (no offense to Elana!) but I like them better without the eggs, so thank you so much for the recipe! I will be making this often. Also, just to let you know, it works very well to use a cookie scoop and cook these on a cookie sheet like cookies, as well as in mini muffin form.

42. Such a great healthy option!

43. Diana says:

My favorite vegan/gluten free meal would have to be my baked spicy tofu over sticky rice with a coconut milk sauce!

44. Chocolate chip mini muffins are cooooool!! Try it. :)

45. This is Yummy!woooohooo!

46. AMANDA says:

I subbed half of the almond flour with a mixture of sorghum and chickpea flour. For everything else, I made it exactly as stated. I made “regular” sized muffins and it made 7. Delicious!! Thank you, Katie.

47. Mpresid says:

Just made these tonight and they were awesome! My husband also gave them a thumbs up! Thanks for the great recipe!

48. Sarah says:

What is almond meal?

49. Natalya says:

Oh my gosh, these are so good.
    I made these with sunflower seed “meal” (ground-up sunflower seeds, but not to a fine powder) and two eggs instead of flax and water, and they turned out amazing. I love how coconut oil makes anything melt in your mouth. I ended up with fifteen mini muffins, but that could be a difference in the pans. Anyways, I am definitely keeping this recipe, and posting it on my website. I’ll give credit to you!

50. The first time I made these I just skimmed quickly through the recipe then made them and they turned out divine! Then I went to make them a week later and realized I had done them totally wrong the first time. After making them the right way I decided I liked my screwed up version better. I omit the water completely and I don’t turn the oven up, I just cook them at 280 degrees for the 15 min. I also get 12 mini muffins/recipe which means they have even fewer calories/muffin. I am so addicted to these!

51. what can I substitute for almond flour? I can eat other nuts

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Try the Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins recipe in her cookbook. It is nut free and they come out perfectly. (I’m not affiliated with the book. Just a big fan)