Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Clean Eating Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding

Without a doubt, the best part of publishing a personal post like my Why I Gave Up Running post is reading all of the amazing responses people share.

Seriously, thank you all so much.

Banana Bread Pudding

I’ll try to make the blog a little more personal in the future, although it’s difficult because most of the personal stuff in my life involves other people. To respect the privacy of my real-world friends, I have a rule to not write about them or post their photos, which is why most of the pictures you see on this blog are of just me.

For today, you get another recipe… with chocolate. Hopefully you won’t mind. 😉

Clean Eating

I’m honored to feature a recipe today from Tosca Reno, a New York Times best-selling author and one of the most well-respected and influential figures in the world of healthy food. This bread pudding recipe comes from her Eat Clean Diet Vegetarian Cookbook, which contains 150 meat-free recipes free of processed ingredients, refined sugars, and anything artificial (note to vegetarians: there is a chapter on fish).

The book, which comes with complete nutritional information for every recipe, is divided into ten chapters from breakfast to dessert. It also covers topics such as how to be a healthy vegetarian, eating vegetarian on a budget, and making fast-food and holiday recipes. Upon receiving the cookbook in the mail, I right away bookmarked at least fifteen things I wanted to make. With bananas, cinnamon, and chocolate chips, this healthy bread pudding was obviously on top of the list!

Banana Bread Pudding

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Pudding

(Adapted from Eat Clean Diet Vegetarian Cookbook, reprinted with permission)

• 2 1/2 cups (640ml) milk of choice
  • 3 tbsp (45ml) arrowroot or cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) sucanat or sugar of choice
  • 1/3 cup (80ml) pure maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 5 cups day-old bread, torn into 1-to-2-inch pieces, lightly packed
  • 2 extra-ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
  • 1/2 to 1 cup (120-240ml) chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F (177C). Grease a 1.5 to 2-quart ceramic dish and set aside. Thoroughly whisk together all but last three ingredients in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients, and stir to combine, mashing the bananas a little and allowing the bread to absorb most of the liquid. Scrape into the prepared dish, and press down to smooth the top. Let sit 15 minutes so bread absorbs more liquid, then bake uncovered until lightly brown and firm (about 30 minutes). Serve warm. For questions about this recipe or substitutions, please feel free to ask this recipe’s creator, Tosca Reno!

View Bread Pudding Nutrition Facts

Clean Eating

Quick Giveaway!

For the chance to win your own copy of Tosca Reno’s Eat Clean Diet Vegetarian Cookbook, simply leave a comment answering the following question: What is your favorite meatless meal?

Tags: , , , ,

1. ariana says:

oh how can I have a favorite meatless meal! They are all so wonderfully delicious! I suppose though I like Tofu Loaf with sweet potatoes and fruit!

2. Andrea Gellen says:

Anything with Lentils! Or CCK oatmeal.

3. Max Katz says:

My favorite meatless meal is pizza.

With Daiya cheese, of course.

4. Stephanie B. says:

I make sweet potato black bean burritos that I love, and they’ve been a hit with my friends and family. They also freeze really well which is great for some ready-made meals when I don’t have time to cook dinner!

5. I am in a baking mood today, and this just sealed the deal!

6. Sandra says:

My current new favorite is my aunt’s meatless lentil loaf….soo good, and I never refuse a good vegetable bake. Thanks for the give-a-way opportunity, this book sounds perfect.

1. shaina says:

I was also going to say the meatless lentil loaf that i’ve made a few times now. I got my recipe from More Peas, Thank You which is an amazing cookbook. I make it with whipped cauliflower mashed ‘potatoes’ and a sweet potato/cinnamon goodness also from the book. yum early thanksgiving

7. Katie says:

Rice,veggie and bean bowl!!

8. Kayla says:

Your 1 million vegetables lentil stew. Ahh. It’s so wonderful! 😀 And of course I’m already liking your Facebook page!

9. Kathryn says:

I am currently in love with your coconut cookie dough oatmeal! So at this moment, that’s probably my favorite meatless meal (as long as it has chocolate chips). I also will say Mac n cheese, or spaghetti with lots of veggies in the sauce.

You look great, by the way!

10. becauseHeloves! says:

My favorite meatless meal is a peanut butter sandwich! Teehee. This looks so good!

11. Kalyn says:

I love soups and stews of any kind!

12. Kaylin says:

This bread pudding looks great! My favorite meatless meal is Moroccan carrot tacos.

13. Laura says:

Creamy cashew Mac and cheese! With sautéed garlicky kale

14. Hannah says:

My most recent fave is butternut squash and black bean chili. So comforting on a cold day!

15. “(To respect the privacy of my real-world friends, I have a rule to not write about them or post their photos, which is why most of the pictures you see on this blog are of just me.)”
    Good for you! I even try to limit what I share about my kids or spouse. It’s a tricky thing–the reason why people love/read blogs is for the personal touch, the intimate aspect. But we must draw boundaries as bloggers & realize that it’s okay to not share certain things.

16. Ruthie says:

Lentils – always and forever! Thanks, Katie!! 🙂

17. Bethanny says:

My favorite meatless meal is probably a delicious vegetable soup my mom made me back when I was a really new to not eating meat and had a bad cold. I’m not sure how she manages to make a bunch of random vegetables floating around with stock and spices taste like home, but I’ve never been able to replicate it.

18. Mara says:

Sweet potato with almond butter and home-made jam! Mmmmmmm…

And I already like your FB page. =]

19. Shannon says:

Pasta puttanesca =]

20. Lyndsey B says:

Any kind of oatmeal would have to be my favorite meatless recipe! A warm, gooey bowl topped with lots of fresh fruit is the best 🙂