Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Cake

Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Cake

Once upon a time when I was five, I decided to make breakfast for my mother.

I woke up really early, tiptoed into the kitchen, and perused the available supplies. Out came the pancake mix, the eggs, the milk… everything I’d seen my mother use to make pancakes. I poured the entire box of mix into a bowl and doused it in so much milk that it looked like pancake soup.

Smashed in a bunch of blueberries, which turned the batter purple, and I added more eggs than even I thought was a good idea because… well… I really liked cracking eggs. 😕

Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Cake

Into the mix went baking soda, baking powder, curry powder, cayenne powder, onion powder… really just every powder I found in the spice cabinet. The more flavors the better, right?

Lemon Blueberry Cake

To make a long story short, my mother ended up with cereal that morning.

Thankfully, as the years went by, I learned what food combinations do and do not go together. For example, sweet blueberries are complemented beautifully by the tangy flavor of freshly-squeezed lemon juice, as is the case in today’s lemon blueberry yogurt cake.

On the other hand, it’s best to stay away from the onion powder.

Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Cake

Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Cake

Inspired by: Raspberry Coffee Cake

• 3/4 cup milk of choice
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used SoDelicious coconutmilk yogurt) (115g)
  • 1 tbsp ground flax (5g)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp lemon zest (important)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (6g)
  • 3 tbsp coconut or veg oil (30g)
  • 2 cups spelt flour, all-purpose, or Bob’s gf (250g)
  • 2/3 cups xylitol or sugar (or sucanat) (130g)
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/16 tsp pure stevia, or 2 extra tbsp sugar (or 2 NuNaturals packets)
  • 1 cup blueberries (140g)
  • 1/3 cup more blueberries (50g)

Preheat oven to 350 F, and grease a 9 1/2-in springform pan. Combine first 7 ingredients (the flax too) and whisk, then set aside. In a separate measuring bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except the final 1/3 cup blueberries, and stir well. Pour wet into dry and stir until evenly combined (don’t overmix). Pour the batter into the prepared pan, then sprinkle the remaining blueberries on top. Bake 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out relatively clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack, 15 minutes, then remove the sides of the pan. Makes 10 servings. The icing in the photos is actually just plain yogurt! (I used SoDelicious coconutmilk yogurt.)

View Nutrition Facts

Lemon Blueberry Cake

P.S. There is an exception to every rule. Onion powder goes quite nicely in my Blueberry Ketchup recipe.

Question of the Day:

When you were growing up, did you ever make breakfast for your family?

One of the first breakfasts I learned to cook on my own was microwave eggs. The recipe consisted of nothing more than cracking an egg in a bowl, adding cheese and ketchup, and microwaving it all together. I felt so proud of my “gourmet” creation and went around making everyone try it. For the longest time afterwards, I was convinced it was my destiny to someday be a famous chef. Well… maybe it really was :).

Link of the Day:

protein bars
Fudge Brownie Protein Bars

Tags: , , ,

1. Steph says:

But I like purple batter 🙂

2. D says:

I think you are already famous Katie!
    Is the yogurt in the ingredients just for a topping? Or does it go into the cake mix?

1. The 1/2 cup goes in the recipe :).

3. I think pancskes were one of the first things I learned to make. Ours just involved adding water 😛 Then it was microwave “baking” with cornbread mixes. As soon as my mom realized that she could sleep in after teaching us… Golden. Haha. A bowl of pale microwaved cornbread + syrup = perfection.

1. I really DO know how to spell pancakes. Lol.

Oh, and I forgot to say brilliant recipe! I love the idea of cake for breakfast!

4. Every Sunday we’d have pancakes at my house and I’d always help my Dad make them!

5. EVA says:

MMMF I just had yogurt and now I’m salivating for more on top of this select cake. I really need to buy blueberries one day.

Haha I’m actually gagging at the thought of your egg recipe, but it’s all for the best! As much as I try to hate it, I can’t because it led you to this.

1. EVA says:

*Ah yes, and I did make breakfast for my family. I’d make the toast.

6. Hollie says:

I know you have posted several lemon recipes before and I’ve probably commented it’s my favorite nonchocolate recipe. I like the idea with the blueberries too. I bet the tartness is fabulous.

I’ve made breakfast for my family before. Now that I’m living with a significant other and not working, I pretty much make most of the meals…so I’m learning to cook slowly.

7. Yes! Blueberries+lemon is one of my favorite flavor combinations. And I just can’t get enough citrus in the winter, so this is perfect. Great recipe.

8. becauseHeloves! says:

This looks so good! I loooove lemon, and the blueberries will probably just make it even better!

9. Alicia says:

I would cut American cheese into strips, then make a slit in a hotdog and shove in the cheese. Microwaved perfection. I was convinced I had invented it and if I got a patent I would be rich. Oh to be young and naive again.
    Can I use greek yogurt? 2 Tb melted or solid coconut oil?

1. I would go with melted. Sorry, I have never actually tried baking with greek yogurt.

10. Maya says:

Do you have any suggestions if using frozen berries? The only blueberries available where I live right now are 8 dollars for a half pint!

1. Thaw first, blot off any excess watery/icy parts, and they should be fine.

11. Amanda says:

Katie – thank you so much for including the brand and type of yogurt you used in the recipe. Super helpful!

– Amanda

12. Stacey says:

I was also 5 when I attempted to make breakfast for my family. In my case it was scrambled eggs and my mom still has pictures of raw eggs splattered half in the skillet and half on the stovetop. Guess I liked to crack them too, I just had bad aim.
    This recipe looks delicious but I was wondering if you had any idea if using half spelt/ half all purpose flour would work? I’m not sure that I could sell my kiddos on the all spelt version.

1. I think it would work. Have not tried but don’t see why it wouldn’t work :).

13. Cake for breakfast- Yes Please!
    Blueberries and lemon go together so well – I’m sure the coconut milk yogurt as the topping makes it even yummier!

14. Athlete who can't eat wheat says:

Hi Katie!
    Just wanted to take some time to tell you how lucky I was to find your blog.
    I am an athlete on a gluten free diet , so finding a whole entire BLOG stocked full of amazing recipes has saved my life! This gluten free thing was difficult because I love baking, but now I can bake away! Today I made your devils food cupcakes and GS tagalongs. Soooooo yummy! Please keep making these recipes that keep gluten free people going! P.S yesterday I made your cauliflower chocolate cake for a birthday party…. it was a huge hit and everyone was like CAULIFLOWER :O !

1. Thank you so much for making them!

15. Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen says:

Haha cute story. It’s the thought that counts right?

16. terezka says:

hello! this makes me want summer! so funny I am wearing two pairs of tights and a summery skirt bcs it has been soooo cold in NYC and Today is not as bad and as much as i think that winter is romantic i miss summer a bit. so i will make this over the weekend! yay thank you

17. Heather @ The Soulful Spoon says:

Great recipe Katie!:) I cringe at the breakfast dishes I used to make for my mom too. I’m lucky that now she just tells me if something is off instead of pretending like she used to:)

Lemons and blueberry are two of my favorite pairings, so I’ll have to add this to my Baking board on Pinterest! Thank you!:) Hope you’re enjoying NYC! I’ll be there later this year myself!!

18. trajayjay says:

I occasionally make sweet potato pancakes for my family.

And if I were your mom, I would have disowned your ass, 😉

19. Bianca says:

Cake for breakfast! It’s safe to say your culinary skills have improved tremendously. 🙂 I want to make this cake for my mother’s birthday, but she doesn’t like blueberries, surprisingly. Do you think I can just leave out the blueberries all together? Thanks!

20. Yum this cake looks wonderful! I also made eggs in microwave but I think one of the first things I really cooked and thought I was a chef was pasta, LOL! In like 4th grade I could make it and I thought I was so great.