Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Carrot Cake Crumble

Carrot Cake Dessert

This is what happens when Easter is around the corner and you have carrot cake on the brain. I’m testing the recipes for the cookbook, and all I can think about with each recipe test is, “Wouldn’t these doughnuts be fun as a carrot cake version? Wouldn’t this cheesecake be fun as a carrot cake version? Wouldn’t this coffee chocolate chip ice cream be fun as a carrot cake version?”

Okay, so maybe not that last one… 😕

Carrot Cake Dessert

I probably ought to revisit that carrot cake cheesecake idea someday in the future. Today’s recipe is for Carrot Cake Crumble—like a deconstructed carrot cake, without all the extra flour getting in the way.

Above: carrot cake crumble topped with my favorite Healthy Ice Cream recipe.

Carrot Pudding

Carrot Cake Crumble

Carrot Cake Crumble

(Serves 4-6)

• 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots ((180g)
  • 3 cups diced pineapple (480g)
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp oil or buttery spread (Can omit, but crumble will be less rich) (30g)
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats, gluten-free if needed (45g)
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp flour of choice, excluding coconut (I used sorghum) (35g)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • pinch pure stevia, or 3 1/2 tbsp sugar of choice

Preheat oven to 325F and grease an 8-inch square pan. Finely grate the carrots (I used a food processor), then combine with the pineapple, vanilla extract, and melted buttery spread or oil. In a separate bowl, combine all remaining ingredients. Pour wet into dry, and stir to combine. Transfer to the prepared pan, and bake 35 minutes or until golden. The recipe will be “fall apart” crumbly in the first few hours, but if left overnight in the fridge it becomes firmer. Eat warm or cold, topped with melted coconut butter or your favorite ice cream (my favorite recipe is linked under the second photo in this post) if desired. Leftovers can be refrigerated or frozen.

Click for: Carrot Cake Crumble Nutrition Facts

Carrot Cake Crumble

Question of the Day:

Do you like carrot cake?

It’s always been one of my favorite holiday desserts, especially with the frosting. When I was little, I looked forward to the day after Easter when we were allowed to eat leftover carrot cake for breakfast. Somehow, carrot cake tastes even better for breakfast than for dessert!

Link of the Day: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Ball

Tags: , , , , ,

1. J says:

This looks great, Katie! How many servings does it yield?

1. Ooh sorry I forgot to mention that. Editing the post now. Four to six servings.

2. Laura says:

Oh how original! This looks delicious =)

3. bella says:

If I’m not the biggest fan of pineapple would apple work instead?

1. Lauren says:

I’m wondering if there is something to sub for pineapple as well?

1. Suzanne says:

Me too! I can stand the taste of it, but I really don’t like the pineapple texture while eating… creeps me out just thinking about it.

1. You can always experiment 🙂

2. Arlie says:

I also hate pineapple, so I tried it with apple! It worked very well, though the texture was definitely different from Katie’s version. Still totally delicious.

1. Mariah says:

What kind of apples did you use?

4. I seriously love this idea. I’d love to try it with spelt flour. It never occurred to me that you could do a less-cakey version of carrot cake (though I LOVE crisps and crumbles of all sorts). I bet my kids would love this too. Yum! Thanks for posting this! I’m tempted to add a little handful of raisins too.

5. Erika says:

Ohh! Now I want to make my carrot cookies (a cakey type of cookie)! Do you think drained crushed pineapple would work in this recipe?

6. Teresa says:

Yum! I’ll definitely be trying this soon. I love carrot cake as long as it doesn’t contain evil raisins. (Raisins do not belong in baked goods where they get all plumped up and squishy.)

7. That looks delicious! Carrot cake is not something typical for Easter here, but I definitely like the idea of it for breakfast, yum. And thanks for the good laugh about the coffee chocolate chip ice cream as carrot cake 😉

8. I don’t love carrot cake for dessert, but this looks like it could make a great breakfast since it probably has less sugar than most yogurts.

9. beth says:

I love carrot cake…but don’t really understand the directions you provided. what do you mean by sliced carrots and how do you shred sliced carrots. how do you dice pineapple? You through all ingredients into a food processor? What if you don’t have one? what kind of oil/butter did you use? Thanks.

1. Sarah says:

1. She put the sliced carrots into a food processor until they were shredded.
      2. You can buy diced pineapple. Or dice it with a knife.
      3. You don’t put all of the ingredients in a food processor. Just the carrots until shredded and then the pineapple, vanilla and oil (probably just for a few seconds… not a puree… or you could just stir them together). Then mix the ingredients in a bowl.
      4. What do you normally do for recipes that call for a food processor and don’t have one? Shred the carrot by hand with either a sharp knife or food grater. Combine the ingredients in a bowl.
      5. Vegan butter and usually coconut oil I would think. Earth balance is a good type of vegan butter. Vegetable or canola oil would probably work too, but not impart as good of a flavor.

10. Kim says:

I LOVE carrot cake!!! I recently made some carrot cake pancakes and muffins! So good! I can’t wait to try this!

11. Christine says:

I have the same question as Beth about measuring the carrots pre- grating! And did you use a grating blade of the food processor or just processs the heck out of the sliced carrots? Thx

1. Slice the carrots first so that they are able to be measured (if you aren’t using a food scale) and so that your food processor will more easily be able to handle them. I guess, if you are grating by hand, you can just measure a little less instead of slicing first… maybe 2/3 cup grated? And yes, I just processed them with the normal blade. My food processor isn’t fancy enough to have any special blades 🙁

12. Sara says:

Hey Katie I love your blog and I had a question for you should you count calories or is that bad?

13. jackie says:

Looks amazing!! Can the pineapple be subbed for something else? If so, please let me know! Thanks so much!!

1. Sarah says:

If she has a substitute that she’s tried she will tell you. Other commenters suggested apples.

14. Cindy says:

Came out great!!! I saw the calorie content, how big a serving was that?

15. Heather says:

Sounds amazing! May I ask a question? Why no coconut flour?

1. EVA says:

Coconut flour is really weird. It doesn’t bake up like regular flour, so the ratios and textures and whatnot differ.
      Personally, I don’t dare test the wits of coconut flour. i don’t know how paleo dieters do it.

1. Heather says:

EVA, thank you! I’m a glutton for punishment, sometimes, maybe I’ll test it out 😉 The dog always looks for treats, if it doesn’t work out 🙂

1. EVA says:

Haha now THAT’S the spirit!

For your sake, I hope the experiment goes well!

For your dog’s sake, I hope it doesn’t!

Just kidding about the latter, he can have the colorful store-bought treats instead.

16. EVA says:

Oooooh, there’ll be donuts in the cookbook? SWEET! Pun was indeed intended.

As for carrot cake, yeah I like it! It’s not overly sweet, but isn’t savory, so it balances out so well. It’s ORANGE! and it’s always decorated with those creepy little carrot fondant things. Carrot cake has no flaws.

As for your carrot cake crumble, I must try it. I made your carrot cake waffles as my last dinner at home before going back to college in the winter to take advantage of the wafflemaker and it was quite satisfactory! I’m also glad the pineapple gets ground up as I can’t digest regular pineapple.

17. What a brilliant idea! Carrot cake just happens to be one of my all time favourites as does a good old crumble. Yum!

18. Oh my goodness. Please tell me you are sharing this at my blog hop today! Hugs
    P.S. you can link up through Sat.

19. Love carrot cake! It’s one of my favorite cakes, actually. This healthy take looks delicious! Pinned.