Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Oatmeal Almond Butter Cookies

Almond Butter Cookies!

OATMEAL ALMOND BUTTER COOKIES -   Can be flourless / oil-free / sugar-free / gluten-free / vegan

The summer after our first year back from college, my best friends and I took a road trip to Austin, Texas.

If you’ve ever been on a road trip with friends, you know that stocking the car with an ample variety of snack foods is of the utmost importance. We made a grocery run the night before, purchasing every flavor potato chip they offered and filling a cooler with fresh fruit, sandwiches, and water bottles. Then we surveyed our inventory and decided it was not yet acceptable; we needed a homemade touch…

Almond Cookies:    Homemade Oatmeal Almond Butter Cookies-- Just 6 ingredients, with NO oil & NO flour. Get the full recipe--->

After thoroughly talking it through (Important decisions like these must not be taken lightly), we decided a batch of oatmeal cookies would be quick and easy. Plus—bonus!—we already had all of the ingredients in the pantry! The cookies turned out beautifully. We ate way too many and were forced to make a second batch for the car. All of the cookies were eaten by the time we reached our destination. The potato chips, on the other hand… notsomuch.

(Did I mention that a road trip from Dallas to Austin is not even 4 hours?)

Almost 10 years later, I’m still reminded of that road trip every time I make oatmeal cookies. Although the oatmeal almond butter cookies recipe below is quite different from the one we used back in 2006, it’s just as simple… and just as good!

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

• 1/2 cup roasted almond butter, softened to a stir-able consistency
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp quick oats or gf-certified quick oats
  • just under level 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 cup xylitol or sugar of choice
  • 2 tbsp applesauce
Total Time: 8m
Yield: 12-15 almond butter cookies

Almond Butter Cookies Recipe: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together all ingredients to form a dough. (Due to the natural oils in the almond butter, the dough can be a bit oily, so have a napkin ready to wipe your hands as you work with the dough.) Form cookie dough balls with your hands, and place on the cookie sheet. Be sure to leave room between cookies, as these will spread as they bake. Bake 8 minutes. The almond butter cookies should still look a little undercooked when you remove them from the oven, but they’ll firm up as they cool. Set the tray aside for at least 10 minutes before picking up a cookie. Makes about 12-15 almond butter cookies.

*View Almond Butter Cookies Nutrition Facts*

Oat Cookies:

Question of the Day:
What’s the most recent road trip you’ve taken?

My most recent road trip was the 22-hour drive I took to get here!

Quinoa Pizza Bites

Link of the day: Mini Quinoa Pizza Bites

Tags: , , , ,

1. A handful of ingredient = One hell of a tasty treat! These look fantasmic 😀 x

1. Ingredients* Even, was typing a little too quick for my own good there.

Hope you’re having a lovely week so far! x

2. Brinley says:

My mom LOVES almond butter from trader joes! (She has some weird trader joes obsession!) and my brother loves cookies! This recipe was made for us! Thank you!

3. anoushe says:

These look incredible!! And so simple! Can´t wait to try them 😀

4. Hollie says:

I’ve been looking for a peanut butter cookie recipe for when the mr gets back. He is obsessed with peanut butter cookies so I think that is what I’ll go. Anyways the last road trip I went on was moving from Texas to NJ.

1. Shan says:

Holly! That’s funny. I moved from NJ to TX. Now I wanna go back. Where in NJ? I’m from Fort Lee, but I wanna venture out! I’m thinking Ocean Grove :) right now I’m in Austin. I can’t wait to try these cookies!

5. Eva says:

Looks freakin DELiCIOUS! That of course has nothing to do with me starving ;). I’m getting my blender next week, so as soon as I make almond butter, will do these!
    Now gonna go bake some boatmeal!

6. Sarah says:

These look amazing! Is roasted almond butter the same/similar to all natural almond butter?

1. Erogo Proxy says:

A bit they make roasted almond butter with roasted almonds a bit of a deeper nutty flavor, but when they roast them some of the omega fatty acids in the almonds oxidize so you loose some of the health benefits of the raw almond. I personally prefer mine raw, organic, with no oils or salts added. But sometimes that roasted bit of flavor is a nice change up.

1. Erogo Proxy says:

On second thought how would these cook with fresh almond butter without the added oils that you get in the store bought ones? I think they might come out a bit dry, almonds do form a thick paste when crushed/ground into a butter unlike some other tree nuts but it does not soften with heat very well nor spread easily. Bit perplexed here if I should try it with the expensive stuff I made or go out and buy some of that store stuff they load with canola and sunflower seed oil. Perhaps add a bit of coconut oil? Thinking a Tsp. or two would help a bit in fact.

7. Ok these look AWESOME…do you think they would work with cashew butter as well for a cashew butter cookie? Might be worth a try. All I need is apple sauce and these can be in my belly in no time :-)

1. Anna says:

I think any nut butter would work or even peanut butter!

8. Manuela Mejia says:

Can I swap out puréed pumpkin for the applesauce?

9. Judith Ness says:

These look great as do many of your recipes. Because of your recipes I purchased a bag of Xylitol to bake with. A week ago a friends’ Healthy 4 year old dog suddenly died. The autopsy showed Xylitol poisoning ! My friend thinks he picked up a piece of chewing gum in the park. Twelve hours later… well.
    I threw away the Xylitol immediately. Please help me spread the word how dangerous this product is to our pets!I am starting a campaign to aware people and get this off our grocery shelves and in products we purchase, etc.
    Thank you for indulging me.

1. Judith, that really is horrible to hear about the death of your friend’s dog. However, dogs are also allergic (sometimes deathly) to chocolate, and I don’t think everyone will just stop eating that. Same goes for coffee. I do think more awareness needs to be created about xylitol and the effects on dogs, but I don’t think that getting rid of these products is the answer.

Again, really sorry to hear about your friend’s dog. I think I will go give mine a hug right now… :)

2. Sarah says:

Chocolate has the same result on dogs…as have grapes and lots of other stuff.

3. Michael says:

It’s true that numerous things we eat are toxic to dogs, such as chocolate and grapes.

However, xylitol is FAR worse. It is absolutely fatal to dogs, even in small amounts. The same is not true for chocolate and grapes. People who keep xylitol in their homes should be aware of this. Moreover, xylitol cannot be digested by humans, which is why it gives many stomach upset. The more you know!

4. Mitzi says:

So sorry about your friend’s dog. I was going to purchase some xylitol, so glad I didn’t if only a tiny bit can be fatal to dogs. I have a little 6# dog and if I even spilled any it would be sad to lose her. Thanks for informing the public. I will have to watch her at other people’s homes too.

10. These look great and simple! Though I think 1 1/4 cup of batter will yield pretty small cookies if you make 12 of them.

11. Janet says:

My last road trip was almost two weeks ago. Myself and three other girlfriends(ages 43-62) went to Bird-In-Hand, PA and also Hershey, PA. We had a blast :) We did fill up with snacks too-chocolate, peanut butter blossoms, oatmeal raisin cinnamon chip cookies, water bottles. Yum!! All gluten-free too :)

12. Shonalika says:

These look delicious; I love oatmeal cookies and have been meaning to try some almond butter cookies for a while now. Since this recipe is so simple and only uses 1/2 cup of precious almond butter I may just have no excuse to not make it:D

13. Oatmeal cookies are my all time favourite cookies. These just have won the top place of the to try list…
    My most recent road trip … no more than about 50 miles for ages I think.

14. Laura O says:

My husband and I recently went to California and spent time driving to the mountains, and to the beach…we packed far too many snacks for the amount of time in the car, too! I don’t mind because the preparation is just as fun. Next time, maybe I’ll pack some of these cookies!

15. EmilyLovesRaisins says:

All I have to say is… yum!!

16. Erogo Proxy says:

Thanks for the receipe, turns out much less expensive then what I was thinking of trying. Tempted to make a batch to sell at the farmers market along side my gluten free bread loafs.

As for road trips I never really did cooking for them, but I go to 3-4 day conventions several times a year. We stay awake for days and eat a bunch of baked goods, I normally make protein apple muffins, egg nog monkey bread, oatmeal cookies, dried fruit and nut bars. Pea and rice protein powders actually can be blended into these quite well use them in the raw bars, and make a icing for the GF monkey bread out of them. Great for long periods of constant movement.

17. Rebekah says:

I just made these with dark chocolate almond butter and they were so amazing!!!

18. Lauren says:

These are SO GOOD!

I added a few mini chocolate chips. I got 19 smaller cookies out of the recipe. Everyone make these cookies!!!

19. Sandi says:

Katie, I couldn’t wait and made these this afternoon. They were the best cookies I’ve had in a very long time. I used coconut date rolls for the sugar (I microwaved them so they would be soft enough to mix them with the rest of the ingredients.) Question….are you supposed to flatten the balls before you bake them or bake them round? I flattened them somewhat but wasn’t sure.

20. Denise says:

Could I substitute the applesauce for smashed banana. I’m currently out of apples

21. EVA says:

MMMF, almond butter is the best! I’ve made cookies just like this, but with pumpkin puree instead of applesauce. It was a delicious autumn sensory experience despite the fact that I made them in March.

Well, despite being almost 19, I have NEVER been on a plane. Everywhere I have been in this country has been a road trip since my family drives to every destination. Yep, from WI to Florida, WI to Montana, and all the way to Pennsylvania as well! They say “half the fun is getting there”, and my family continually embraces the phrase!

22. Karen says:

Last weekend my husband and I drove from Wisconsin to New York and back to Wisconsin to pick up my youngest daughter’s “stuff” from college. We left Wisconsin Friday night, arrived in New York Saturday at 4:30, took her and her roomies out for dinner and started heading back a couple of hours later. Arrived home by 7:00 Sunday night. I believe it was a total of 26 fun filled hours bonding with my honey!

And the cookies? Looks like a “must try” for me! I love the simplicity of the recipe!

23. These cookies look wonderful! I love how little sugar there is in them. Totally bookmarking to make these when I return home from traveling!
    Pinning for now!

24. These look amazing! Love both almonds and oatmeal….they are on our “Must Try” list as of right now! Thanks….have been following you for a long time! We are gluten free and love your posts!

25. Steph says:

YUM! Those look soo good! I am the biggest cookie freak! I love them soo much! Especially healthified breakfast ones… I love telling my friends I had cookies for brekky :)

26. Shawna says:

ummm these look incredible. i make healthy pb cookies pretty regularly, but i have to try these immediately!

27. I love road trips and still go on as many as possible. Why do they always make you so hungry? Home made snacks are a must and those cookies are looking delicious! I’ll save the recipe, so I can make some for my next trip!

28. Meredith says:

I made these last night because I had all the ingredients on hand and I’m eating one as we speak. I did use white sugar, but man, this is one delicious and easy cookie. I will be making these again. Thanks for sharing!

29. April says:

Made a half batch of these tonight. I was lazy and just used the natural almond butter I had, didn’t worry about roasted almond butter and it turned out fine. Next time I might roast some almonds myself and make my own roasted almond butter to see if the flavor is better but it was so tasty I’m of half a mind to skip the extra work. I did 12 cookies to a batch and I found the cookies pretty small but that might not be a bad thing. I was able to eat 3 cookies without guilt. Very good recipe and I’d recommend it to anyone.

30. I love that these cookies on using a few simple, everyday ingredients – these look like the perfect snack Katie! Definitively looking forward to trying these! Pinned 😀

31. Um, yes. These look awesome! I love the idea of combining almond butter with oatmeal — I don’t like using xylitol, but I bet a little honey or maple syrup would go really well in this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

32. Remy says:

My mom and I just made these, but subbed the almond butter with peanut butter and they’re delicious. Thank you! X

33. AJ says:

Katie, you have done it again! Your healthy recipes are always so yummy and delicious. These taste like the real deal minus the processed white and brown sugars, and no added fat. Better than the unhealthy “original” if you asked me. YUMMM!

34. I absolutely love your recipes. These cookies are fantastic and healthy. I have no hesitation feeding them to children.

35. Mmmmmmmm – this looks delicious! I bet it would be good with tiny dark chocolate chips/chunks too. I love simple, clean cookie recipes.

36. trish says:

These are so good! I made them with raw almond butter instead of roasted, added mini vegan chocolate chips and a little more applesauce since I added that one extra ingredient and they turned out great.

37. Coleen says:

The almond butter cookies are awesome!

38. Sharlynn Ng says:

These look so crunchy and full of home made goodness! Awesome recipe!

39. Jeanette says:

Thank you for the recipe, Katie! Once again you managed to make it easy and yummie. I used raw cashewbutter and I added a few broken pecans. The cookies are delicious. Tomorrow, I am going to take them to work. I think about making them again.

40. Yasmine Hughes says:

I was making these the other day, but instead of cookies, I ended up with the most wonderful almond granola!
    Of course, I tried again and managed to make equally delicious cookies.
    I had the granola this morning with some natural greek yogurt, which made me question whether I had died and gone to heaven. XD
    Thank you for this wonderful recipe, the cookies were devoured in minutes.

41. Marianne says:

Just made these with natural peanut butter and regular sugar. So tasty and easy! They fell apart a little while eating them, but they’re still warm and might firm up as they cool more. Next time I might add some ground flax, chocolate chips, or dried fruit to see how it’d turn out, but they were definitely satisfying as is!

42. Emily says:

These are amazing! I don’t normally leave reviews, but I have literally made these cookies every night this week and my entire family loves them! Super easy and delicious. Thanks so much for the recipe!

43. Amy says:

Good gravy, these are delicious! We added chocolate chips and next time I’ll follow another commenter’s suggestion to add a little more applesauce with the chocolate chips. The flavor is so much better than other oatmeal cookies I’ve had with added oil. Great recipe!

44. Katie says:

I made these cookes yesterday and although they are excellent tasting, they are a bit soft and crumbly. I was hoping for a bit firmer cookie like the picture. I doubled the recipe because I was taking them to my sisters for dinner and I used regular sugar as I couldn’t findy Xylitol at the store. Left them on the tray for 10 minutes then the counter after that for about an hour. Next time I’ll just do one batch and see if that makes a difference. Any suggestions?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Not all recipes can be doubled exactly. I would suggest following any recipe exactly before making changes. That way you will know how a recipe is supposed to turn out.

45. Yum! This recipe looks super simple and satisfying. My husband goes on work trips a lot, and I always try to make him something homemade for his car ride. It’s usually peanut butter & jelly bars, but I’m probably going to be making these next time (w/ a handful of chocolate chips) 😉

46. Sarah says:

These look delicious! I’ll probably be making them tomorrow. Hmm I haven’t been on a proper road trip for about a year, but I’m planning one from Vancouver Island to the Okanagan (Interior BC) in July. Some of your sweets may make it into our cooler…

47. Amanda J says:

My cookies never spread out…just stayed in little balls. Any suggestions?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Smush before baking. Problem solved 😉

48. Teggin says:

My son and I made these cookies last Friday, and they are so tasty! Perhaps the best ‘healthier’ cookie I’ve made. I added a capful of vanilla, as I cannot resist adding vanilla to just about everything. Also added a small amount of chocolate chips. I definitely made small cookies, and the balls did not spread out. I used the back of a spoon and pressed them down right when they came out of the oven. Should I have pressed them down before putting them in the oven?

They are just a bit crumbly. I would love any suggestions for making them less crumbly. I am not so great at baking cookies. I was thinking of maybe adding more applesauce. I definitely did not overbake them, as they were still just a bit gooey inside.

Regardless of the crumbliness, they are a-may-zing! Thank you for this recipe! I will be making these again (soon!) and doubling the recipe :)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Either way works. Be sure to let them cool long enough before trying to handle. I did not have a problem with crumbling, but I let mine cool a good half hour before touching them.

2. Caren says:

Did you use xylitol or sugar? I used honey, and it added some moisture. My cookies are very chewy and not crumbly at all.

1. Amy says:

I’d love to try the recipe with honey; did you do a 1:1 replacement? So 1/4 cup honey?

49. Ali says:

These were awesome! Such a simple recipe for a tasty and healthy cookie. I made mine with coconut sugar. I’ve been reading your blog forever and I am curious as to why you are using xylitol more now than in past recipes. Maybe you could do a FAQ on all the sweetener options and your thoughts, favorite products etc.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I believe she uses xylitol as an option for diabetics and those who cannot process sugar or are on sugar-free diets. Most likely now more than in past recipes because the sweetener was less well-known and is only recently readily available.

50. tanya says:

If i don’t want to add the xylitol or sugar can i just leave it out? The apple sauce will add sweetness won’t it?

51. Livi Grace says:

I made these with peanut butter and they are PERFECT!!! Thank you so much for your amazing recipes, I never feel guilty when I eat these desserts 😀

52. Tonya says:

Can I substitute sun butter for almond butter in this recipe?!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can definitely do that. I did!

53. Frayda says:

These are so good! I doubled the recipe because they aren’t gonna last long. Thanks for all your great recipes! My daughter recently found out she has high cholesterol and high triglycerides and your recipes are perfect!

54. Caren says:

Made these this morning! They are very yummy and chewy. I used sunbutter instead of almond butter. I also threw in a handful of 70% chocolate chips, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and a splash of vanilla. Instead of xylitol or sugar, I used 1/8 cup of honey. The consistency was great. Very easy to roll into balls. My cookies did not spread out, so next time, I’ll push them down a bit. I don’t mind eating cookie balls, though. They baked for exactly 8 minutes, and turned out great. My dough made 16 small cookie balls. Thanks!

55. Angel G says:

Great. Better when they are under cooked. Can’t go wrong with these.

56. Sarah Burns says:

I just made these and they are delish! I used Date Sugar and threw in a few vegan chocolate chips. I’ve always had a passionate love for Almond Butter, (I like raw unroasted) so that plus oats and I’m a happy girl!

57. Autumn says:

I just made these. It took like 5 mins to put together. I used gloves and I am glad I did cuz it’s very sticky dough! I used Stevie for my sweetener. I only got 8 small cookies from the recipe. i am not sure how she got 12-15 unless she made mini cookies but i don’t care cuz its so easy to make I can make more in a flash! I added cinnamon because I just can’t leave well enough alone. They are so tasty! They will make a great snack. I will definitely be making these often 😀 The last road trip I took was from St. Louis to South Texas to visit my family.

1. Subbing stevia would definitely lessen the amount made. Less bulk. 😉

1. Autumn says:

Mystery solved!! I’m gonna try honey next time like the other user did. These are great!

58. Louann says:

In my second trimester with our first baby and I have been crazing something sweet but moderately healthy that doesn’t make me feel super guilty. These definitely satisfied that craving :) I keep wanting to grab just one more. This is the best almond butter cookie recipe I’ve ever tried. I topped mine with a little pinch of coconut flakes and a tiny pinch of powdered Himalayan pink sea salt. So yummy & healthy with a glass of milk. Baby and I are enjoying the iron, protein, calcium, and dose of fiber :) Thanks for sharing!

59. Kate says:

So quick and easy! I’m Guilty of eating half a batch in one sitting. These are amazing. I used stevia drops x7 = 2 tsp of sugar and they were sweet enough. Definitely adding choc chips to tomorrow’s batch. Thank you!

60. Kristen says:

Mine got WWWWWIIIDDDDDEEE. I didn’t roll in hand (not into sticky fingers). I used a spoon to fill a 1/4 cup (twice) with almond butter, then a separate spoon for the sweetener. I mixed the bath with both spoons and spooned out the mix onto the sheet with them. I love the quick, easy recipe.

1. Kristen says:

I also made mine bigger. Just 9 wide/bigger cookies.

1. Kristen says:

They didn’t turn out. They were oily and mush… sadness!

2. I’m very confused… You said they were good, then two months later you replied again that they didn’t turn out. Can you please explain so I can try and understand what you mean? Thanks!

3. Kristen says:

You caught that, eh? :) I love your recipes. I messed up that time because I only have 2 large cookie sheets that can’t fit at the same time. I made the cookies super big, what did I say 9 of them? So, they didn’t set. I said they were good while sampling the batter, not the finished product. I was eager to reply on the site…. Time passes and I thought ” oh no what if I encouraged someone to double the size?1 (Change the recipe.) They will be doomed too. So, I wrote again.
        This is my big problem… I change too much in recipes rather than following them. 😀 I am hopeless at times, lol.

4. Haha okay makes sense! :) I was so confused!

61. Tia says:

Excellent Recipe!!!!!!!!! I had all of the ingredients in the house and it was so easy…as well as delicious! Thanks for sharing!

62. Corinne says:

Hi Katie,
    Do you have a “printable version” button for each recipe? It would be ‘so’ convenient. 😉

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

To print, highlight just the recipe itself and right-click “Copy.” Then open a new Word document and right-click “Paste.” You can easily print this file from there, and also name it and save it in a CCK Recipe folder for future reference.

63. kimber says:

I LOVE this recipe! I’ve followed your blog for a while but had stopped trying some of the recipes because of the more unusual ingredients that I just don’t stock at my house. (Not that they aren’t good, I’m sure they’re great. I just can’t make them when I don’t have the right ingredients and there is a REASON why you used what you used. 😉 (When I see a dessert, I usually want to make it right away!!) This recipe is PERFECT!! Thank you!! Thank you for all you do and all of your incredible edible creations. :)

64. Deb says:

These are delicious! My son has a peanut allergy and hasn’t really taken to almond butter and jelly sandwiches, so I was browsing for ways to use up the almond butter. I KNOW he will eat these…if my husband and I don’t eat them all before he wakes up from his nap!

65. Cady says:

Hey Katie,

These look major! How long should I bake them I I want to turn them into blondies?

66. Tessa says:

Delicious!! Added two teaspoons cocoa powder, and some vanilla extract along with using homemade almond butter. These were really good!!

67. Kate says:

I just made these and they were SUPER easy & delicious. Thanks Katie!!

68. TADav says:

Great recipe! Made a “test batch” with another grain-free recipe, and my boys declared these the winner so made more (6 dozen!) for a cookie swap … consistency seems to vary with type of almond butter or could it possibly be larger batches (although first batch was the same as the tester) — the test batch barely spread, dough was not sticky and made nice balls that baked to a more crumbly cookie; dough from cookie swap version very sticky and made a softer, chewy cookie. Both very tasty but still perplexed about the difference — thanks for this grain-free dessert option (and for all the variations from those who commented)!

1. TADav says:

… not grain-free, but certainly healthier than many sugar-filled cookies!

69. Marc says:

These are amazing! Everything from your blog is great so far… Any chance you are single?!?!

70. Anna says:

I just made these today and they are amazing! I used vitacost brand almond butter and xylitol. They are so easy to make and so delicious! I love the fact that they are gluten and sugar free and I feel great eating them! Thank you for another great recipe Katie!

71. Jules says:

Just made these delicious cookies and they taste better than any cookie recipe I’ve ever tried! I added a couple teaspoons of cocoa powder and it was a fantastic addition!

I should mention that although I let them cool for over an hour, they were still very soft. Crumbly isn’t the right word, because they are so chewy! They just kind of fall apart when you lift them, though I was only lifting them to my mouth, so it didn’t really matter!

Will definitely make these again!!! Thanks for the recipe!

72. Jessica says:

Made these cookies last night. SO YUMMY! I used Trader Joe’s Almond Butter and regular sugar and will be making more soon!

73. Robin says:

i never buy quick oats, only regular oats. Should I pulse them for a bit first?

74. Ann says:

I just made these with a few tweaks and they are so delicious- thank you! I doubled the recipe, added 2 eggs because I wanted some protein in them, added 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 1/3 c raisins. I also lowered the xylitol a smidge because my almond butter has some sugar in it already (Maranatha maple syrup almond butter). This made 38 cookies for me when I used a tsp scoop, and the cookies are a nice size.
    I love that you use xylitol, it doesn’t have a bad aftertaste like Stevia can and it helps to keep my sugar addiction at bay.
    PS- In response to other readers below, I have dogs but I just make sure that they never eat anything with xylitol- including gum.

75. Vendz says:

So easy yet really tasty! Thank you :)

76. Leeanne says:

Can I sub the sugar for maple syrup I’m making these for little ones and if I can do I still use 1/4 cup?