Loaf-ing Around

I enjoyed a lovely dinner the other night, thanks to Lindsay, the Happy Herbivore. Her mock meatloaf recipe has been on my “to-try” list for a long time, and I am so glad I finally got around to making it. The loaf firmed up perfectly, it was easy to make, and the taste was superb. Even my mom, who is VERY hard-to-please when it comes to vegan “meats” said, “Katie, I have to admit that this is really, really good. It’s one of the best vegan meat dishes you’ve had me try.”

How’s that for a positive review?

I only cooked the loaf for 40 minutes at 380 degrees, used less soy sauce, and left out the optional horseradish and ketchup topping. But other than these minor things, I followed Happy Herbivore’s awesome recipe exactly. And I will definitely be making this again. (For the past few days, I have been savoring the leftovers.)

Mixing the ingredients:

A firm, hearty loaf:

To go along with the loaf, I boiled some whole wheat noodles and whipped up my delicious mashed cauliflower recipe, this time using purple cauliflower. The meal was almost as beautiful as it was tasty.

1. carnie87 says:

Hi! I just recently discovered your blog, and I love it! I, too, am a college student, but I am still an “aspiring” vegan–I still like my cottage cheese! Anyway, I was wondering if you could direct me to your mashed cauliflower recipe–it looks delish! Also, what is in the tiny cup on your plate?

Caroline

2. Lizzy says:

Now that really is a positive review! Awesome to hear that the recipe was a success!

I’ve never seen purple cauliflower in the supermarket =( It looks so pretty!!!

3. LisaRene says:

What a vibrant dinner! I have never made a mock meatloaf and should give one a try.

4. coulditbeseitan says:

WOW! That color is so cool!

5. Melody Polakow says:

Lovely dinner.. that cauliflower is gorgeous!

6. Bonnie says:

First of all: Wow! I’ve never seen mashed purple cauliflower (I don’t think I’ve ever even eaten that vegetable), that looks awesome! I had no idea that was possible. That’s so cool. Oh! I want to make it and serve it to people and see how surprised they are. I sure am. Wow. Awesome!

OK, getting over my excitement over a purple vegetable, it’s so great that your mother loved that meat loaf! Sounds like I should give that recipe a try, too.

Really, that colour is amazing…

7. Ruby Red Vegan says:

Your purple mashed cauliflower is stunning! I love it! Wouldn’t it be awesome if they made pink cauliflower too? I think I’d be in heaven then, because pink is my favorite color!

I wish I could cook for my family more often and get my omni-mom to give such a great review of vegan food! I have a feeling she might like the Happy Herbivore’s recipe too.

8. Ricki says:

Funny, even though my mom used to make it all the time, I was never a fan of meat-based meatloaves. But I LOVE vegan loaves! I tried a nutroast for Valentine’s Day and just adored it, and I often make walnut-based burgers wtih oats, mushrooms and sundried tomatoes ground into the mix. Yours looks fabulous–I’m off to check out the recipe!

9. Romina says:

Don’t you just love it when non-vegans enjoy vegan food? It’s so fulfilling!

Omgosh. I wish I could find purple cabbage. It’s so exciting to look at!

10. pleasantly plump vegan says:

yeah, that loaf does look pretty great.

11. T says:

I’ve never even heard of purple cauliflower before, that stuff is vibrant!

Its always nice when your family likes your cooking, but especially when its good for them. That loaf does look awesome.

12. Happy Herbivore! says:

thx for the awesome review!

I leave off the ketchup topping and omt the horseradish usually too.

I fed this to my parents the very first time they wanted to try “vegan” food and when they BOTH went back for seconds I knew it was a winner.

You must try a cold slice on a sammie!!!!!!!

13. Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) says:

WOW! I have seen purple cauliflower but had no idea it stayed so VIBRANT when cooked! I assumed it would fade to a dull and rather unappetizing GREY or something…

Now I’m inspired to try this!

14. Mihl says:

I have never made a mock meatloaf, but I definitely will now! Do you think this freezes well?

I love the look of that purple cauliflower, I’ve never seen it around over here.

15. DJ says:

Wow – that dish looks amazing,the purple cauliflower looks beautiful, and thanks for the link, I am a great mock meatloaf fan so I will DEFINITELY be trying out Happy Herbivore’s recipe!

16. ~randi~ says:

That is a beautiful plate. I must try this meatloaf.It sounds and looks delish. Arrg. I’m having cooking withdrawals being out the country. Hello jealousy! 😉

17. Vegan_Noodle says:

I thought the cauliflower was blueberry sorbet!! Looks delicious. I made a meatloaf a few weeks ago and loved it. I’ll have to check out happy herbivore’s recipe!

18. Bonnie says:

I would totally get excited if I found a purple cauliflower at the supermarket! It looks so special. I was really surprised when I first saw that picture at the end of your post! (“Is that food?!”). Awesome.
    OK, I’ll stop talking about the cauliflower now :o)
    I wonder how it tastes, though…

19. ChocolateCoveredVegan says:

Hey carnie87–

I sent you an email with the recipe :o)

20. missblueberry says:

Heyah! Thanks for the comment on my blog. I will add your url….your site looks great. Really impressive!

Best,